Managerial ownership and urban water utilities efficiency in Uganda
This paper assesses the impact of the early 1980s neoliberalistic reform strategies in urban water distribution in developing countries. It examines in particular, the technical efficiency of two heterogeneous urban water utility-groups in Uganda. Performance is considered in light of the key urban water sector objectives that are to universally increase qualitative water coverage and enhance utility revenue. Using a two-staged bias-corrected metafrontier based on the data envelopment analysis estimators, the public-private (than the public-public) owned utilities are found less efficient. Efficiency differences between both groups are further linked to utilities scale of operation and market capture capabilities among other factors. The paper urges policy makers to strengthen public sector capabilities as a development policy solution for inclusive quality water services access among other basic public utility services in Uganda, Africa and the developing countries in general.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chalos, Peter & Cherian, Joseph, 1995. "An application of data envelopment analysis to public sector performance measurement and accountability," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 143-160.
- Kate Bayliss & Terry McKinley, 2007. "Privatising Basic Utilities in Sub-Saharan Africa: The MDG Impact," Policy Research Brief 3, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Coelli, Tim & Perelman, Sergio, 1999. "A comparison of parametric and non-parametric distance functions: With application to European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 326-339, September.
- Susan Spronk, 2010. "Water and Sanitation Utilities in the Global South: Re-centering the Debate on "Efficiency"," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 156-174, June.
- Giuseppe Bognetti & Gabriel Obermann, 2008. "Liberalization And Privatization Of Public Utilities: Origins Of The Debate, Current Issues And Challenges For The Future," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 79(3-4), pages 461-485, 09.
- AfDB AfDB, . "Gender, Poverty and Environmental Indicators on African Countries 2010," Gender, Poverty and Environmental Indicators on African Countries, African Development Bank, number 95 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou.
- David Saal & David Parker & Tom Weyman-Jones, 2007. "Determining the contribution of technical change, efficiency change and scale change to productivity growth in the privatized English and Welsh water and sewerage industry: 1985–2000," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 127-139, October.
- Byrnes, Patricia & Grosskopf, Shawna & Hayes, Kathy, 1986. "Efficiency and Ownership: Further Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 337-41, May.
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Harris, Thomas R. & Narayanan, Rangesan & Raffiee, Kambiz, 1995. "Specification and estimation of the effect of ownership on the economic efficiency of the water utilities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 759-784, December.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:8:y:2005:i:2:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chen Lin & Yue Ma & Dongwei Su, 2009.
"Corporate governance and firm efficiency: evidence from China's publicly listed firms,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(3), pages 193-209.
- Chen Lin & Yue Ma & Dongwei Su, 2009. "Corporate governance and firm efficiency: evidence from China's publicly listed firms," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(3), pages i-i.
- Andres Picazo-Tadeo & Francisco Saez-Fernandez & Francisco Gonzalez-Gomez, 2009. "The role of environmental factors in water utilities' technical efficiency. Empirical evidence from Spanish companies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 615-628.
- Antonio Estache & Martin Rossi, 2002.
"How different is the efficiency of Public and Private Water Companies in Asia,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/43984, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Antonio Estache & MartÌn A. Rossi, 2002. "How Different Is the Efficiency of Public and Private Water Companies in Asia?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 139-148, June.
- Vining, Aidan R & Boardman, Anthony E, 1992. "Ownership versus Competition: Efficiency in Public Enterprise," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 73(2), pages 205-39, March.
- David S Saal & David Parker, 2000. "The impact of privatization and regulation on the water and sewerage industry in England and Wales: a translog cost function model," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(6), pages 253-268.
- P. Cook, 1999. "Privatization and Utility Regulation in Developing Countries: the Lessons So Far," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(4), pages 549-587, December.
- Arunava Bhattacharyya & Elliott Parker & Kambiz Raffiee, 1994. "An Examination of the Effect of Ownership on the Relative Efficiency of Public and Private Water Utilities," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 197-209.
- Teeples, Ronald K & Glyer, David, 1987. "Cost of Water Delivery Systems: Specification and Ownership Effects," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 399-408, August.
- Antonio Estache & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003.
"Efficiency effects of "Privatization" in Argentina's Water and Sanitation Services,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/43978, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Antonio Estache & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003. "Efficiency effects of "privatization" in Argentina's water and sanitation services," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/167459, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Tito Belchior Moreira & Geraldo da Silva Souza & Ricardo Coelho Faria, 2005. "Public Versus Private Water Utilities: Empirical Evidence for Brazilian Companies," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 8(2), pages 1-7.
- Mugisha, Silver, 2007. "Effects of incentive applications on technical efficiencies: Empirical evidence from Ugandan water utilities," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 225-233, December.
- Feigenbaum, Susan & Teeples, Ronald, 1983. "Public versus Private Water Delivery: A Hedonic Cost Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(4), pages 672-78, November.
- Anwandter, Lars & Ozuna, Teofilo Jr., 2002. "Can public sector reforms improve the efficiency of public water utilities?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 687-700, October.
- Crain, W Mark & Zardkoohi, Asghar, 1978. "A Test of the Property-Rights Theory of the Firm: Water Utilities in the United States," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 395-408, October.
- Daniele Checchi & Massimo Florio & Jorge Carrera, 2009. "Privatisation Discontent and Utility Reform in Latin America," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(3), pages 333-350.
- David Parker & Colin Kirkpatrick, 2005.
"Privatisation in Developing Countries: A Review of the Evidence and the Policy Lessons,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 513-541.
- Parker, David & Kirkpatrick, Colin, 2003. "Privatisation in Developing Countries: A Review of the Evidence and the Policy Lessons," Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers 30623, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- E L Lynk, 1993. "Privatisation, joint production and the comparative efficiencies of private and public ownership: the UK water industry case," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 98-116, May.
- Narjess Boubakri & Jean-Claude Cosset & Omrane Guedhami, 2008. "Privatisation in Developing Countries: Performance and Ownership Effects," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 26(3), pages 275-308, 05.
- Naren Prasad, 2006. "Privatisation Results: Private Sector Participation in Water Services After 15 Years," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(6), pages 669-692, November.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Bruce Larson & Bart Minten & Ramy Razafindralambo, 2006. "Unravelling the linkages between the millennium development goals for poverty, education, access to water and household water use in developing countries: Evidence from Madagascar," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 22-40.
- Saal, David S & Parker, David, 2001. "Productivity and Price Performance in the Privatized Water and Sewerage Companies of England and Wales," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 61-90, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2011036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.