Harnessing Communities, Markets and the State for Public Goods Provision: Evidence from Post-Socialist Rural Poland
Analyzing four case studies on rural Poland during 1990–2005, this study shows how partnerships of local governments and civil society organizations provided public goods that boosted local economic development. By taking a comparative institutional economics perspective, we demonstrate how the partnerships successfully combined the governance mechanisms of state, market, and community. We find a striking similarity across the cases concerning the assignment of functions in public goods provision to certain governance mechanisms. Communities played a mediating role in the transition process toward a new configuration of rural governance.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agrawal, Arun, 2001. "Common Property Institutions and Sustainable Governance of Resources," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1649-1672, October.
- Agrawal, Arun & Gibson, Clark C., 1999. "Enchantment and Disenchantment: The Role of Community in Natural Resource Conservation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 629-649, April.
- Elinor Ostrom, 2010.
"Beyond Markets and States: Polycentric Governance of Complex Economic Systems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(3), pages 641-672, June.
- Ostrom, Elinor, 2009. "Beyond Markets and States: Polycentric Governance of Complex Economic Systems," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 2009-4, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Theesfeld, Insa, 2004. "Constraints on Collective Action in a Transitional Economy: The Case of Bulgaria's Irrigation Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 251-271, February.
- Sikor, Thomas & Müller, Daniel & Stahl, Johannes, 2009. "Land Fragmentation and Cropland Abandonment in Albania: Implications for the Roles of State and Community in Post-Socialist Land Consolidation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1411-1423, August.
- Baum, Sabine & Weingarten, Peter, 2005. "Interregionale DisparitÃ¤ten und Entwicklung lÃ¤ndlicher RÃ¤ume als regionalpolitische Herausforderung fÃ¼r die neuen EU-Mitgliedstaaten," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 54(4).
- Gramzow, Andreas, 2009. "Rural development as provision of local public goods: Theory and evidence from Poland," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Transition Economies, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO), volume 51, number 92313, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)