Growing export performance of transition economies: EU market access versus supply capacity factors
Remarkable growth of export performance of transition economies has been one of the most outstanding features of the transition and EU integration processes. The paper looks at the reasons behind this phenomenon. Following Redding and Venables (2003, 2004), and Fugazza (2004), we distinguish between foreign/EU market access and internal supply capacity factors. EU market access has been of great importance for export performance but does not explain the inter country differences. Inter country differences in export performance are explained by internal supply capacity factors, where stable institutional setup, structural reforms, and targeted FDI are in the forefront.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven|
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosati MEP, Dariusz, 1992. "Problems of Post-CMEA Trade and Payments," CEPR Discussion Papers 650, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Jan Fidrmuc, 2001.
"Disintegration and Trade,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
9901, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Fidrmuc, Jan, 2001. "Disintegration and trade," ZEI Working Papers B 24-2001, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Jan Fidrmuc, 2000. "Disintegration and Trade," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 353, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 2000. "Disintegration and Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 2641, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2007.
"Integration of CEECs into EU Market: Structural Change and Convergence,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 611-632, 09.
- Maria Paula Fontoura & Nuno Crespo, 2004. "Integration of CEECs into EU Markets: Structural Change and Convergence," Working Papers Department of Economics 2004/15, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Matija Rojec & Jože P. Damijan & Boris Majcen, 2004.
"Export Propensity of Estonian and Slovenian Manufacturing Firms : Does Foreign Ownership Matter?,"
Eastern European Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 33-54, July.
- MATIJA ROJEC & JOŽE P. DAMIJAN & BORIS MAJCEN, 2004. "Export Propensity of Estonian and Slovenian Manufacturing Firms : Does Foreign Ownership Matter?," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(4), pages 33-54, July.
- Redding, Stephen J. & Venables, Anthony J, 2000.
"Economic Geography and International Inequality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," CEP Discussion Papers dp0495, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," International Trade 0103003, EconWPA.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic geography and international inequality," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3714, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Uwe Dulleck & Neil Foster-McGregor & Robert Stehrer & Julia Wörz, 2004. "Dimensions of Quality Upgrading in CEECs," wiiw Working Papers 29, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Peter Havlik, 2005. "Structural Change, Productivity and Employment in the New EU Member States," wiiw Research Reports 313, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Clifford Zinnes & Yair Eilat & Jeffrey Sachs, 2001. "Benchmarking competitiveness in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 9(2), pages 315-353, July.
- Jakab, Zoltan M. & Kovacs, Mihaly A. & Oszlay, Andras, 2001. "How Far Has Trade Integration Advanced?: An Analysis of the Actual and Potential Trade of Three Central and Eastern European Countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 276-292, June.
- Peter Egger, 2002.
"An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 297-312, 02.
- Peter Egger, "undated". "An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials," WIFO Working Papers 141, WIFO.
- Joze P. Damijan & Matija Rojec, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Catching-up Process in New EU Member States: Is There a Flying Geese Pattern?," wiiw Research Reports 310, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Peter Havlik & Michael Landesmann & Robert Stehrer, 2001. "Competitiveness of CEE Industries: Evidence From Foreign Trade Specialization and Quality Indicators," wiiw Research Reports 278, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lic:licosd:20208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.