Integration of CEECs into EU Market: Structural Change and Convergence
The central and eastern European countries (CEECs) have gone through a dramatic process of industrial restructuring in which the Europe Agreements have played a major role. Using detailed statistics, we analyse the transformation of CEECs' export structures and whether it led to structural convergence with the remaining EU members. We also analyse structural transformation within sectors in terms of quality ranges. The results show that, in general terms, CEECs have converged both at inter- and intra-sectoral levels towards pre-existing European Union (EU) members. We discuss whether further restructuring and relocation of CEECs' industrial patterns are probable in the aftermath of EU membership. Copyright (c) 2007 The Author(s); Journal compilation (c) 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 45 (2007)
Issue (Month): (09)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-9886|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0021-9886|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Landesmann & Robert Stehrer, 2002. "Trade Structures, Quality Differentiation and Technical Barriers in CEE-EU Trade," wiiw Research Reports 282, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Vladimir Gligorov & Mario Holzner & Michael Landesmann, 2003.
"Prospects for Further (South-) Eastern EU Enlargement: from Divergence to Convergence?,"
wiiw Research Reports
296, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Vladimir Gligorov & Mario Holzner & Michael Landesmann, 2003. "Prospects for Further (South) Eastern EU Enlargement: Form Divergence to Convergence?," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 30, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Paas, Tiiu, 2003. "Regional Integration and International Trade in the Context of EU Eastward Enlargement," HWWA Discussion Papers 218, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Redding, Stephen & Venables, Anthony J., 2004.
"Economic geography and international inequality,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82, January.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic geography and international inequality," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3714, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," International Trade 0103003, EconWPA.
- Redding, Stephen J. & Venables, Anthony J, 2000. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," CEPR Discussion Papers 2568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," CEP Discussion Papers dp0495, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Frank Barr & Maria Paula Fontoura & Nuno Crespo, 2003.
"EU Enlargement and the Portuguese Economy,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2003/06, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Nilsson, Lars, 2000. "Trade integration and the EU economic membership criteria," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 807-827, November.
- Kaminski, Bartlomiej, 2001. "How accession to the European Union has affected external trade and foreign direct investment in Central European economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2578, The World Bank.
- J. M. C. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2003. "Gravity-defying trade," Working Papers 03-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 1994.
"The possibility of factor price equalization, revisited,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 167-175, February.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1991. "The Possibility of Factor Price Equalization, Revisited," Working Papers 277, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Luca De Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2003. "Economic integration, similarity and convergence in the EU and CEECs trade structures," KITeS Working Papers 148, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2003.
- Henriot, Alain & InotaÃ¯, AndrÃ¡s, 1998. "What Future for the Integration of the European Union and the Central and Eastern European Countries?Eastern European Countries?," UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, Working Paper Series qt3gn5p8qx, UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "The Causes and Consequences of the Dependence of Quality on Price," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 1-48, March.
- K.H. Midelfart & H.G. Overman & S.J. Redding & A.J. Venables, 2000. "The location of European industry," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 142, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Michael A. Landesmann, 2003. "Structural features of economic integration in an enlarged Europe: patterns of catching-up and industrial specialisation," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 181, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jcmkts:v:45:y:2007:i::p:611-632. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.