Some evidence of smooth transition nonlinearity in Colombian inflation
Evidence of smooth transition autoregressive (STAR) representations is found in two, out of three, time series of different measures of annual inflation in Colombia during this decade for monthly data. The STAR-type nonlinearities are asymmetric for inflation computed as the variation of CPI while for (a measure of) core inflation are symmetric. Thus, LSTAR and ESTAR models were, respectively, estimated. No evidence of nonlinearity is found for traded goods inflation. Given the local dynamic properties of the estimated LSTAR model, only positive shocks to prices could shift negative accelerating inflation rate from the upper to the lower regime. By the same token, only stochastic shocks can move the core accelerating inflation rate from the outer regime to the middle one but the explosive nature of this regime will impulse the accelerating inflation rate to the outer one.
Volume (Year): 33 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- D. A. Peel & A. E. H. Speight, 1998. "Threshold nonlinearities in output: some international evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 323-333.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1993.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
4303, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luis Eduardo Arango Thomas, 1998.
"Some univariate time series properties of output,"
Lecturas de Economía,
Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 49, pages 7-46, Julio Dic.
- Clive W. Granger & Timo Terasvirta & Heather M. Anderson, 1993. "Modeling Nonlinearity over the Business Cycle," NBER Chapters, in: Business Cycles, Indicators and Forecasting, pages 311-326 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luis Fernando Melo & Franz A.Hamann, .
"Inflación Básica.Una Estimación Basada en Modelos VAR Estructurales,"
Borradores de Economia
093, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Fernando Melo Velandia & Franz Hamann Salcedo, 1998. "Inflacion Basica. Una Estimacion Basada En Modelos Var Estructurales," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002848, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Danny Quah & Shaun Vahey, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
Bank of England working papers
31, Bank of England.
- Cao, C Q & Tsay, R S, 1992. "Nonlinear Time-Series Analysis of Stock Volatilities," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S165-85, Suppl. De.
- Parkin, Michael, 1984. "On core inflation by Otto Eckstein : A review essay," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 251-264, September.
- Terasvirta, T & Anderson, H M, 1992. "Characterizing Nonlinearities in Business Cycles Using Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S119-36, Suppl. De.
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997.
"Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-79, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1994. "Monetary Policy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number greg94-1, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:33:y:2001:i:2:p:155-162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.