Testing for Unit Root against LSTAR model – wavelet improvements under GARCH distortion
In this paper, we propose a Nonlinear Dickey-Fuller test for unit root against first order Logistic Smooth Transition Autoregressive LSTAR (1) model with time as the transition variable. The Nonlinear Dickey-Fuller test statistic is established under the null hypothesis of random walk without drift and the alternative model is a nonlinear LSTAR (1) model. The asymptotic distribution of the test is analytically derived while the small sample distributions are investigated by Monte Carlo experiment. The size and power properties of the test have been investigated using Monte Carlo experiment. The results have shown that there is a serious size distortion for the Nonlinear Dickey-Fuller test when GARCH errors appear in the Data Generating Process (DGP), which lead to an over-rejection of the unit root null hypothesis. To solve this problem, we use the Wavelet technique to count off the GARCH distortion and to improve the size property of the test under GARCH error. We also discuss the asymptotic distributions of the test statistics in GARCH and wavelet environments. Finally, an empirical example is used to compare our test with the traditional Dickey-Fuller test.
|Date of creation:||26 Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies, Royal Institute of Technology, SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 790 95 63
Web page: http://www.infra.kth.se/cesis/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shiqing Ling & W. K. Li & Michael McAleer, 2003.
"Estimation and Testing for Unit Root Processes with GARCH (1, 1) Errors: Theory and Monte Carlo Evidence,"
CIRJE-F-207, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Shiqing Ling & W. K. Li & Michael McAleer, 2003. "Estimation and Testing for Unit Root Processes with GARCH (1, 1) Errors: Theory and Monte Carlo Evidence," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 179-202.
- Shiqing Ling & W. K. Li & Michael McAleer, 2001. "Estimation and Testing for Unit Root Processes with GARCH(1,1) Errors: Theory and Monte Carlo Evidence," ISER Discussion Paper 0544, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1986. "Asymptotic Theory for ARCH Models: Estimation and Testing," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 107-131, April.
- Seo, Byeongseon, 1999. "Distribution theory for unit root tests with conditional heteroskedasticity1," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 113-144, July.
- Li, W K & Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002. " Recent Theoretical Results for Time Series Models with GARCH Errors," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 245-69, July.
- van Dijk, Dick & Franses, Philip Hans & Lucas, Andre, 1999.
"Testing for ARCH in the Presence of Additive Outliers,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 539-62, Sept.-Oct.
- van Dijk, D.J.C. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Lucas, A., 1996. "Testing for ARCH in the Presence of Additive Outliers," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9659-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F, 1993. "Common Persistence in Conditional Variances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 167-86, January.
- Mehmet Caner & Bruce E. Hansen, 2001.
"Threshold Autoregression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1555-1596, November.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Skalin, Joakim & Ter svirta, Timo, 2002.
"Modeling Asymmetries And Moving Equilibria In Unemployment Rates,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 202-241, April.
- Skalin, Joakim & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1998. "Modelling asymmetries and moving equilibria in unemployment rates," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 262, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 05 Oct 1998.
- Hall, Anthony D. & Skalin, Joakim & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1998. "A nonlinear time series model of El Niño," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 263, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Dirk Te Velde, 2001. "Balance of payments prospects in EMU," NIESR Discussion Papers 178, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Ling, Shiqing & Li, W.K., 2003. "Asymptotic Inference For Unit Root Processes With Garch(1,1) Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(04), pages 541-564, August.
- Alok Bhargava, 1986. "On the Theory of Testing for Unit Roots in Observed Time Series," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 369-384.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés González, 1998.
"Some Evidence Of Smooth Transition Nonlinearity In Colombian Inflation,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003515, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Luis Arango & Andres Gonzalez, 2001. "Some evidence of smooth transition nonlinearity in Colombian inflation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 155-162.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés González, . "Some Evidence of Smooth Transition Nonlinearity in Colombian Inflation," Borradores de Economia 105, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2002. "An Introduction to Wavelets for Economists," Staff Working Papers 02-3, Bank of Canada.
- Emanuela Marrocu, 2006. "An Investigation of the Effects of Data Transformation on Nonlinearity," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 801-820, November.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Ser-Huang Poon & Clive W.J. Granger, 2003. "Forecasting Volatility in Financial Markets: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(2), pages 478-539, June.
- Bera, Anil K & Higgins, Matthew L, 1993. " ARCH Models: Properties, Estimation and Testing," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 305-66, December.
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, Clive W J, 1998.
"Unit-Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 304-11, July.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, C. W. J., 1998. "Unit Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Staff General Research Papers 1388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kim, Kiwhan & Schmidt, Peter, 1993. "Unit root tests with conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 287-300, October.
- Steven Cook, 2006. "The robustness of modified unit root tests in the presence of GARCH," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(4), pages 359-363.
- Eklund, Bruno, 2003. "Testing the unit root hypothesis against the logistic smooth transition autoregressive model," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 546, Stockholm School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cesisp:0184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vardan Hovsepyan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.