The robustness of modified unit root tests in the presence of GARCH
The research of Kim and Schmidt (J. Economet., 1993, 59, 287-300) is extended to examine the properties of modified Dickey-Fuller unit root tests in the presence of generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity (GARCH). Using Monte Carlo simulation, the properties of the tests are examined for a range of GARCH processes over alternative sample sizes. Oversizing is observed for all tests, with the extent of size distortion driven by the volatility, rather than the persistence, of the underlying GARCH process. While the original Dickey-Fuller test is found to exhibit greater size distortion than the modified tests, the modified tests are found to be substantially oversized when the GARCH process exhibits a high degree of volatility, even for large samples.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RQUF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RQUF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Hamori, Shigeyuki & Tokihisa, Akira, 1997. "Testing for a unit root in the presence of a variance shift1," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 245-253, December.
- Leybourne, S J, 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots Using Forward and Reverse Dickey-Fuller Regressions," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(4), pages 559-71, November.
- Drost, Feike C & Nijman, Theo E, 1993.
"Temporal Aggregation of GARCH Processes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 909-27, July.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1990-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Temporal Aggregation Of Garch Processes," Papers 9066, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992. "Temporal Aggregation of Garch Processes," Papers 9240, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1992-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Seo, Byeongseon, 1999. "Distribution theory for unit root tests with conditional heteroskedasticity1," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 113-144, July.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1998. "Answering the Skeptics: Yes, Standard Volatility Models Do Provide Accurate Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 885-905, November.
- Kim, Kiwhan & Schmidt, Peter, 1993. "Unit root tests with conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 287-300, October.
- Stephen Leybourne & Tae-Hwan Kim & Paul Newbold, 2005.
"Examination of Some More Powerful Modifications of the Dickey-Fuller Test,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3), pages 355-369, 05.
- Steve Leybourne & Paul Newbold & Tae-Hwan Kim, 2003. "Examination Of Some More Powerful Modifications Of The Dickey- Fuller Test," Econometrics 0311007, EconWPA.
- Kim, Tae-Hwan & Leybourne, Stephen & Newbold, Paul, 2002. "Unit root tests with a break in innovation variance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 365-387, August.
- Li, W K & Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002. " Recent Theoretical Results for Time Series Models with GARCH Errors," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 245-69, July.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1993. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Other publications TiSEM 0642fb61-c7f4-4281-b484-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:quantf:v:6:y:2006:i:4:p:359-363. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.