The natural resource curse and the spread of HIV/AIDS, 1990–2008
Experts suggest that effective public action can prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS. Countries dependent on natural resource wealth, such as oil, are likely to suffer from governance failures and thereby suffer lower quality public health. Since the cost of fighting disease redistributes income away from rulers, resource wealth is likely to lead to neglect of public action aimed at stemming a deadly disease. We test this proposition in 137 countries from 1990 until 2008 using oil wealth as a proxy for endogenous policy choices on the prevalence of HIV/AIDS, a proxy outcome for ineffective policy and neglect of public action. We find that the ‘resource curse’ seems to affect the spread of HIV/AIDS, even though oil-rich countries ceteris paribus should have more financial resources for effective public action. The results are robust to a host of controls, alternative indicators, and fixed effects estimation.
Volume (Year): 77 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Simon Dietz & Eric Neumayer & Indra de Soysa, 2004.
"Corruption, the Resource Curse and Genuine Saving,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Simon Dietz & Eric Neumayer & Indra de Soysa, 2007. "Corruption, the resource curse and genuine saving," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 973, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Simon Dietz & Eric Neumayer & Indra de Soysa, 2004. "Corruption, the Resource Curse and Genuine Saving," Development and Comp Systems 0405010, EconWPA, revised 21 Jan 2005.
- Matthias Basedau & Jann Lay, 2009. "Resource Curse or Rentier Peace? The Ambiguous Effects of Oil Wealth and Oil Dependence on Violent Conflict," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 46(6), pages 757-776, November.
- Christa N. Brunnschweiler & Erwin H. Bulte, 2009.
"Natural resources and violent conflict: resource abundance, dependence, and the onset of civil wars,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 61(4), pages 651-674, October.
- Christa N Brunnschweiler & Erwin H Bulte, 2009. "Natural Resources and Violent Conflict: Resource abundance, dependence and the onset of civil wars," OxCarre Working Papers 018, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Christa N. Brunnschweiler & Erwin Bulte, 2008. "Natural Resources and Violent Conflict: Resource Abundance, Dependence and the Onset of Civil Wars," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 08/78, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Christa N. Brunnschweiler & Erwin H. Bulte, 2006.
"The Resource Curse Revisited and Revised: A Tale of Paradoxes and Red Herrings,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
06/61, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Brunnschweiler, Christa N. & Bulte, Erwin H., 2008. "The resource curse revisited and revised: A tale of paradoxes and red herrings," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 248-264, May.
- Halvor Mehlum & Karl Moene & Ragnar Torvik, 2006.
"Cursed by Resources or Institutions?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(8), pages 1117-1131, 08.
- Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler & Dominic Rohner, 2006.
"Beyond Greed and Grievance: Feasibility and Civil War,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2006-10, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler & Dominic Rohner, 2009. "Beyond greed and grievance: feasibility and civil war," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Rosenberg, Alana & Hartwig, Kari & Merson, Michael, 2008. "Government-NGO collaboration and sustainability of orphans and vulnerable children projects in southern Africa," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 51-60, February.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2011.
"Natural Resources: Curse or Blessing?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 49(2), pages 366-420, June.
- Congdon Fors, Heather & Olsson, Ola, 2005.
"Endogenous Institutional Change After Independence,"
Working Papers in Economics
163, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Congdon Fors, Heather & Olsson, Ola, 2007. "Endogenous institutional change after independence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 1896-1921, November.
- James D. Fearon, 2005. "Primary Commodity Exports and Civil War," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 49(4), pages 483-507, August.
- Christa N. Brunnschweiler, 2006.
"Cursing the blessings? Natural resource abundance, institutions, and economic growth,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
06/51, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Brunnschweiler, Christa N., 2008. "Cursing the Blessings? Natural Resource Abundance, Institutions, and Economic Growth," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 399-419, March.
- Moore, Mick & Leavy, Jennifer & Houtzager, Peter & White, Howard, 1999. "Polity qualities: how governance affects poverty," MPRA Paper 9467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur, 2001.
"Natural resources, education, and economic development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 847-859, May.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur, 2000. "Natural Resources, Education, and Economic Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 2594, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Torvik, Ragnar, 2002. "Natural resources, rent seeking and welfare," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 455-470, April.
- Papyrakis, Elissaios & Gerlagh, Reyer, 2004. "The resource curse hypothesis and its transmission channels," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 181-193, March.
- Sachs, Jeffrey D. & Warner, Andrew M., 2001. "The curse of natural resources," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 827-838, May.
- Lucia Corno & Damien de Walque, 2012.
"Mines, Migration and HIV/AIDS in Southern Africa,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 21(3), pages 465-498, June.
- James A. Robinson, 1998. "Theories of “bad policy”," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 1-46.
- Nils Petter Gleditsch & Peter Wallensteen & Mikael Eriksson & Margareta Sollenberg & Hã…Vard Strand, 2002. "Armed Conflict 1946-2001: A New Dataset," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 39(5), pages 615-637, September.
- Philip Keefer & Stephen Knack, 2007. "Boondoggles, Rent-Seeking, and Political Checks and Balances: Public Investment under Unaccountable Governments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 566-572, August.
- Emizet Kisangani & E. Wayne Nafziger, 2007. "The Political Economy Of State Terror," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(5), pages 405-414.
- Carlos A Leite & Jens Weidmann, 1999. "Does Mother Nature Corrupt? Natural Resources, Corruption, and Economic Growth," IMF Working Papers 99/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Indra De Soysa & Eric Neumayer, 2007. "Resource Wealth and the Risk of Civil War Onset: Results from a New Dataset of Natural Resource Rents, 1970â€”1999," Conflict Management and Peace Science, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 24(3), pages 201-218, July.
- Indra De Soysa, 2002. "Paradise is a Bazaar? Greed, Creed, and Governance in Civil War, 1989-99," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 39(4), pages 395-416, July.
- José Cheibub & Jennifer Gandhi & James Vreeland, 2010. "Democracy and dictatorship revisited," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 67-101, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:77:y:2013:i:c:p:90-96. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.