Social Capital: Bridging the Theory and Empirical Divide
We explore the measurement of social capital in an attempt to bring the empirical work closer to the theoretical literature. Specifically we use the Survey of Health Aging and Retirement in Europe for 2004 and 2006 to construct a composite index of social capital, using principal component analysis. We explore the extent to which the underlying latent factors coincide with the theoretical components of social capital. Our results suggest that the proxy variables load on to four theoretical components. Both men and women have higher social capital in Nordic welfare regimes compared to those in Central or Southern Europe.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 9 Mappin Street, SHEFFIELD, S1 4DT|
Phone: +44 114 222 3399
Fax: + 44 (0)114 222 3458
Web page: http://www.shef.ac.uk/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Steven N. Durlauf, 2004.
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2004-14, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Durlauf,S.N. & Fafchamps,M., 2004. "Social capital," Working papers 12, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Social Capital," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-14, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Steven Durlauf & Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Social Capital," Development and Comp Systems 0409060, EconWPA.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Social Capital," NBER Working Papers 10485, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Durlauf,S.N., 2001.
"On the empirics of social capital,"
3, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- DiPasquale, Denise & Glaeser, Edward L., 1999.
"Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 354-384, March.
- Denice DiPasquale & Edward L. Glaeser, 1997. "Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1815, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Denise DiPasquale & Edward L. Glaeser, 1998. "Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?," NBER Working Papers 6363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dimitris Christelis & Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula, 2008.
"Cognitive Abilities and Portfolio Choice,"
2008_19, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Christelis, Dimitris & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario, 2006. "Cognitive Abilities and Portfolio Choice," CEPR Discussion Papers 5735, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christelis, Dimitris & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario, 2008. "Cognitive abilities and portfolio choice," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/35, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Dimitrios Christelis & Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula, 2006. "Cognitive Abilities and Portfolio Choice," CSEF Working Papers 157, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Deb, Partha & Gallo, William T. & Ayyagari, Padmaja & Fletcher, Jason M. & Sindelar, Jody L., 2011. "The effect of job loss on overweight and drinking," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 317-327, March.
- Carlson, Per, 2004. "The European health divide: a matter of financial or social capital?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(9), pages 1985-1992, November.
- Kamhon Kan, 2006.
"Residential Mobility and Social Capital,"
IEAS Working Paper : academic research
06-A005, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Alesina, Alberto F & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2000.
"Who Trusts Others?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2646, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huang, Jian & Maassen van den Brink, Henriëtte & Groot, Wim, 2009.
"A meta-analysis of the effect of education on social capital,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 454-464, August.
- Huang, J. & Maassen van den Brink, H. & Groot, W., 2009. "A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Education on Social Capital," Working Papers 22, Top Institute for Evidence Based Education Research.
- Samuel Bowles & Herbert Gintis, 2002.
"Social Capital and Community Governance,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 419-436, November.
- B. van Groezen & R. Jadoenandansing & G. Pasini, 2011.
"Social capital and health across European countries,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(12), pages 1167-1170.
- Bas van Groezen & R. Jadoenandansing & G. Pasini, 2009. "Social capital and health across European countries," Working Papers 09-04, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Joel Sobel, 2002. "Can We Trust Social Capital?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(1), pages 139-154, March.
- Bruni, Luigino & Sugden, Robert, 2000. "Moral canals: trust and social capital in the work of Hume, Smith and Genovesi," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 21-45, April.
- Stanislav Kolenikov & Gustavo Angeles, 2009. "Socioeconomic Status Measurement With Discrete Proxy Variables: Is Principal Component Analysis A Reliable Answer?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(1), pages 128-165, 03.
- Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Social Capital and Development," Economics Series Working Papers 214, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Sarah Smith, 2010. "Social connectedness and retirement," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 10/255, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- d'Hombres, Beatrice & Rocco, Lorenzo & Suhrcke, Marc & McKee, Martin, 2006.
"Does social capital determine health? Evidence from eight transition countries,"
1862, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- B. d'Hombres & L. Rocco & M. Suhrcke & M. McKee, 2010. "Does social capital determine health? Evidence from eight transition countries," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 56-74.
- Sirven, Nicolas & Debrand, Thierry, 2012. "Social capital and health of older Europeans: Causal pathways and health inequalities," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(7), pages 1288-1295.
- Sirven, Nicolas & Debrand, Thierry, 2008. "Social participation and healthy ageing: An international comparison using SHARE data," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(12), pages 2017-2026, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shf:wpaper:2012028. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jacob Holmes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.