Gender Differences in Life Satisfaction and Social Participation
The paper deals with the effects of social participation activities on life satisfaction. Using the German General Social Survey (ALLBUS) for 2010, marginal effects of binary probit estimations on life satisfaction are presented. Strong gender differences are observable. While sport, welfare or parental activities affect only female life satisfaction, males are more affected by classical hobbies. As an interesting result that political activities, such as a political party or a union membership, have no or even negative effects. The general results may be interpreted in that way, that activities or memberships with influence in local fields with own responsibility and personal interest in a short of time, may be more satisfying than activities with more idealistic tasks and long run results, such as protecting nature or human rights.
Volume (Year): 6 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://ijbesar.teiemt.gr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Kohn, Karsten & Wang, Qingwei, 2006.
"The Erosion of Union Membership in Germany: Determinants, Densities, Decompositions,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-66, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bernd Fitzenberger & Karsten Kohn & Qingwei Wang, 2011. "The erosion of union membership in Germany: determinants, densities, decompositions," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 141-165, January.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Kohn, Karsten & Wang, Qingwei, 2006. "The Erosion of Union Membership in Germany: Determinants, Densities, Decompositions," IZA Discussion Papers 2193, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrés Rodriguez-Pose & Viola von Berlepsch, 2012.
"Social Capital and Individual Happiness in Europe,"
Bruges European Economic Research Papers
25, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Simona Rasciute & Paul Downward, 2010. "Health or Happiness? What Is the Impact of Physical Activity on the Individual?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(2), pages 256-270, 05.
- Christopher Fleming & Parvinder Kler, 2008. "I'm too clever for this job: a bivariate probit analysis on overeducation and job satisfaction in Australia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(9), pages 1123-1138.
- David G. Blanchflower, 2008.
"International evidence on well-being,"
NBER Working Papers
14318, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eiji Yamamura, 2013.
"Natural Disasters and Participation in Volunteer Activities: A Case Study of the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake,"
Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(1), pages 103-117, 03.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2012. "Natural disasters and participation in volunteer activities: A case study of the Great Hanshin-Awaji earthquake," MPRA Paper 37734, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Alessandra Pelloni & Fiammetta Rossetti, 2008.
"Relational Goods, Sociability, and Happiness,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 343-363, 08.
- Becchetti Leonardo & Pelloni Alessandra & Rossetti Fiammetta, 2008. "Relational goods, sociability, and happiness," wp.comunite 0039, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Alessandra Pelloni & Fiammetta Rossetti, 2008. "Relational Goods, Sociability, and happiness," CEIS Research Paper 117, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 14 Jul 2008.
- Stephan Humpert, 2010.
"A Note on Happiness in Eastern Europe,"
European Research Studies Journal,
European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(3), pages 133-144.
- Stephan Meier & Alois Stutzer, .
"Is Volunteering Rewarding in Itself?,"
IEW - Working Papers
180, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- SonjaC. Kassenboehmer & JohnP. Haisken-DeNew, 2009. "You're Fired! The Causal Negative Effect of Entry Unemployment on Life Satisfaction," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(536), pages 448-462, 03.
- Paul Downward & Simona Rasciute, 2011. "Does sport make you happy? An analysis of the well-being derived from sports participation," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 331-348.
- Lara Aknin & Elizabeth Dunn & Michael Norton, 2012. "Happiness Runs in a Circular Motion: Evidence for a Positive Feedback Loop between Prosocial Spending and Happiness," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 347-355, April.
- Bruno, Bruna & Fiorillo, Damiano, 2013. "Voluntary work and labour income," MPRA Paper 43995, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Humpert, Stephan, 2013. "A Note on Satisfaction with Life, Government and Job: The Case of Eastern Europe," MPRA Paper 45449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Kroll, 2011. "Different Things Make Different People Happy: Examining Social Capital and Subjective Well-Being by Gender and Parental Status," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 157-177, October.
- Brenda Gannon & Jennifer Roberts, 2012. "Social Capital: Bridging the Theory and Empirical Divide," Working Papers 2012028, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics.
- Marc Morjé Howard & Leah Gilbert, 2008. "A Cross-National Comparison of the Internal Effects of Participation in Voluntary Organizations," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 56, pages 12-32, 03.
- Bruno Frey & Alois Stutzer, 2000. "Happiness Prospers in Democracy," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 79-102, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tei:journl:v:6:y:2013:i:3:p:123-142. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostas Stergidis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.