Determinants of international migrations to Italian provinces
International migration flows constitute one of the most policy-relevant elements of modern economies. The Italian experience is a case of particular interest given the rapid growth of immigration flows, the large number of countries of origin involved, and regional economic heterogeneity. This paper analyses the bilateral stocks of migrants coming from 142 countries and living in 103 Italian provinces to ascertain what characteristics of home countries and destination provinces are associated with international migrations. The results of the estimation of a gravity model on the stock of migrants show that economic, demographic and institutional variables are correlated with migration patterns. In light of the recent Arab Spring, it is interesting to note that migrants come to Italy predominantly from geographically close, democratic and middle-income countries.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lewer, Joshua J. & Van den Berg, Hendrik, 2008. "A gravity model of immigration," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 164-167, April.
- Schneider, Friedrich G. & Buehn, Andreas, 2007. "Shadow economies and corruption all over the world: revised estimates for 120 countries," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 1, pages 1-53.
- Liu, Ben-chieh, 1975. "Differential Net Migration Rates and the Quality of Life," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(3), pages 329-37, August.
- Francesc Ortega & Giovanni Peri, 2009.
"The Causes and Effects of International Migrations: Evidence from OECD Countries 1980-2005,"
96, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Francesc Ortega & Giovanni Peri, 2009. "The Causes and Effects of International Migrations: Evidence from OECD Countries 1980-2005," NBER Working Papers 14833, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2012.
"Rethinking The Effect Of Immigration On Wages,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 10(1), pages 152-197, 02.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco I. P. & Peri, Giovanni, 2007. "Rethinking the effects of immigration on wages," HWWI Research Papers 3-8, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2006. "Rethinking the Effects of Immigration on Wages," NBER Working Papers 12497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovanni Peri & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2006. "Rethinking the Effects of Immigration on Wages," Working Papers 634, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Alessandra Venturini & Claudia Villosio, 2004. "Labour Market Effects of Immigration: an Empirical Analysis Based on Italian Data," CHILD Working Papers wp17_04, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Milo Bianchi & Paolo Buonanno & Paolo Pinotti, 2008.
"Do immigrants cause crime?,"
PSE Working Papers
- Milo Bianchi & Paolo Buonanno & Paolo Pinotti, 2012. "Do Immigrants Cause Crime?," Working Papers halshs-00670036, HAL.
- Bianchi, Milo & Buonanno, Paolo & Pinotti, Paolo, 2010. "Do Immigrants Cause Crime?," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1023, CEPREMAP.
- Milo Bianchi & Paolo Buonanno & Paolo Pinotti, 2008. "Do Immigrants Cause Crime?," Working Papers (-2012) 0801, University of Bergamo, Department of Economics.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005.
"The Log of Gravity,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0701, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The log of gravity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Santos Silva, J.M.C & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEPR Discussion Papers 5311, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Herbert Brücker & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2006.
"On the estimation and forecasting of international migration: how relevant is heterogeneity across countries?,"
Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 735-754, September.
- Brücker, Herbert & Siliverstovs, Boriss, 2005. "On the Estimation and Forecasting of International Migration: How Relevant Is Heterogeneity Across Countries?," IZA Discussion Papers 1710, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Massimiliano Bratti & Luca De Benedictis & Gianluca Santoni, 2013.
"On the pro-trade effects of immigrants,"
Working Papers CEB
13-014, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Luca Benedictis & Gianluca Santoni, 2014. "On the pro-trade effects of immigrants," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 150(3), pages 557594-5575, August.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Luca de Benedictis & Gianluca Santoni, 2012. "On the Pro-Trade Effects of Immigrants," Development Working Papers 347, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 13 Nov 2012.
- Bratti, Massimiliano & De Benedictis, Luca & Santoni, Gianluca, 2012. "On the Pro-Trade Effects of Immigrants," IZA Discussion Papers 6628, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Axel Dreher, 2005.
"Does Globalization Affect Growth? Evidence from a new Index of Globalization,"
TWI Research Paper Series
6, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universitï¿½t Konstanz.
- Axel Dreher, 2006. "Does globalization affect growth? Evidence from a new index of globalization," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1091-1110.
- José Cheibub & Jennifer Gandhi & James Vreeland, 2010. "Democracy and dictatorship revisited," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 67-101, April.
- Alan B. Krueger, 2009. "Measuring the Subjective Well-Being of Nations: National Accounts of Time Use and Well-Being," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krue08-1, Enero.
- Visco Ignazio, 2008. "Invecchiamento della popolazione, immigrazione, crescita economica," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 209-244.
- Giovanni Peri, 2009.
"The Effect of Immigration on Productivity: Evidence from US States,"
NBER Working Papers
15507, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovanni Peri, 2012. "The Effect Of Immigration On Productivity: Evidence From U.S. States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(1), pages 348-358, February.
- Guglielmo Barone & Sauro Mocetti, 2010.
"With a little help from abroad: the effect of low-skilled immigration on the female labor supply,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
766, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Barone, Guglielmo & Mocetti, Sauro, 2011. "With a little help from abroad: The effect of low-skilled immigration on the female labour supply," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 664-675, October.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2010:i:97-98:p:15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frédéric Docquier & B. Lindsay Lowell & Abdeslam Marfouk, 2009. "A Gendered Assessment of Highly Skilled Emigration," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 35(2), pages 297-321.
- Loayza, Norman V. & Rigolini, Jamele, 2011. "Informal Employment: Safety Net or Growth Engine?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1503-1515, September.
- Ximena Clark & Timothy J. Hatton & Jeffery G. Williamson, 2002.
"Explaining US Immigration 1971-1998,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
453, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Giovanni Peri & Francisco Requena-Silvente, 2010.
"The trade creation effect of immigrants: evidence from the remarkable case of Spain,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(4), pages 14331459-14, November.
- Giovanni Peri & Francisco Requena, 2009. "The Trade Creation Effect of Immigrants: Evidence from the Remarkable Case of Spain," NBER Working Papers 15625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2006.
"People Flows in Globalization,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 145-170, Spring.
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "The Economics of Immigration," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1667-1717, December.
- Gail Pacheco & Stephanie Rossouw & Joshua Lewer, 2013.
"Do Non-Economic Quality of Life Factors Drive Immigration?,"
Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement,
Springer, vol. 110(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Lewer, Joshua J. & Pacheco, Gail & Rossouw, Stephanié, 2009. "Do Non-Economic Quality of Life Factors Drive Immigration?," IZA Discussion Papers 4385, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mayda, Anna Maria, 2007.
"International Migration: A Panel Data Analysis of the Determinants of Bilateral Flows,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6289, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anna Mayda, 2010. "International migration: a panel data analysis of the determinants of bilateral flows," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 23(4), pages 1249-1274, September.
- Anna Maria Mayda, 2007. "International migration: A panel data analysis of the determinants of bilateral flows," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0707, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Hubert Jayet & Nadiya Ukrayinchuk & Giuseppe De Arcangelis, 2010. "The Location of Immigrants in Italy : Disentangling Networks and Local Effects," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 97-98, pages 329-350.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.