Gender Differences in Life Satisfaction and Social Participation
This paper deals with the effects of social participation activities on life satisfaction. Using the German General Social Survey (ALLBUS) for 2010, I present gender specific differences for several social activities, such as club memberships of political, welfare, health or more leisure time orientated groups. These activities have different impacts on male or female satisfaction. While sports and civic engagements improve only female life satisfaction, men are more affected by charity organizations or leisure time activities, such as hobbies. It is an interesting result that political activities and trade unions have no, or even negative effects on life satisfaction.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simona Rasciute & Paul Downward, 2010. "Health or Happiness? What Is the Impact of Physical Activity on the Individual?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(2), pages 256-270, 05.
- Humpert, Stephan, 2010.
"A Note on Happiness in Eastern Europe,"
24811, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Downward & Simona Rasciute, 2011. "Does sport make you happy? An analysis of the well-being derived from sports participation," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 331-348.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Alessandra Pelloni & Fiammetta Rossetti, 2008.
"Relational Goods, Sociability, and happiness,"
CEIS Research Paper
117, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 14 Jul 2008.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Kohn, Karsten & Wang, Qingwei, 2006.
"The Erosion of Union Membership in Germany: Determinants, Densities, Decompositions,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-66, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bernd Fitzenberger & Karsten Kohn & Qingwei Wang, 2011. "The erosion of union membership in Germany: determinants, densities, decompositions," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 141-165, January.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Kohn, Karsten & Wang, Qingwei, 2006. "The Erosion of Union Membership in Germany: Determinants, Densities, Decompositions," IZA Discussion Papers 2193, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stephan Meier & Alois Stutzer, .
"Is Volunteering Rewarding in Itself?,"
IEW - Working Papers
180, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bruno, Bruna & Fiorillo, Damiano, 2013. "Voluntary work and labour income," MPRA Paper 43995, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christopher Fleming & Parvinder Kler, 2008. "I'm too clever for this job: a bivariate probit analysis on overeducation and job satisfaction in Australia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(9), pages 1123-1138.
- David G. Blanchflower, 2009.
"International Evidence on Well-Being,"
in: Measuring the Subjective Well-Being of Nations: National Accounts of Time Use and Well-Being, pages 155-226
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc Morjé Howard & Leah Gilbert, 2008. "A Cross-National Comparison of the Internal Effects of Participation in Voluntary Organizations," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 56, pages 12-32, 03.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2012.
"Natural disasters and participation in volunteer activities: A case study of the Great Hanshin-Awaji earthquake,"
37734, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eiji Yamamura, 2013. "Natural Disasters and Participation in Volunteer Activities: A Case Study of the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(1), pages 103-117, 03.
- SonjaC. Kassenboehmer & JohnP. Haisken-DeNew, 2009. "You're Fired! The Causal Negative Effect of Entry Unemployment on Life Satisfaction," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(536), pages 448-462, 03.
- Andrés Rodriguez-Pose & Viola von Berlepsch, 2012.
"Social Capital and Individual Happiness in Europe,"
Bruges European Economic Research Papers
25, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Sonja C. Kassenboehmer & John P. Haisken-DeNew, 2008. "You’re Fired! The Causal Negative Effect of Unemployment on Life Satisfaction," Ruhr Economic Papers 0063, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Christian Kroll, 2011. "Different Things Make Different People Happy: Examining Social Capital and Subjective Well-Being by Gender and Parental Status," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 157-177, October.
- Bruno Frey & Alois Stutzer, 2000. "Happiness Prospers in Democracy," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 79-102, March.
- Humpert, Stephan, 2013. "A Note on Satisfaction with Life, Government and Job: The Case of Eastern Europe," MPRA Paper 45449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lara Aknin & Elizabeth Dunn & Michael Norton, 2012. "Happiness Runs in a Circular Motion: Evidence for a Positive Feedback Loop between Prosocial Spending and Happiness," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 347-355, April.
- Brenda Gannon & Jennifer Roberts, 2012. "Social Capital: Bridging the Theory and Empirical Divide," Working Papers 2012028, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lue:wpaper:276. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Wagner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.