Panel time-series modeling: New tools for analyzing xt data
Stata already has an extensive range of built-in and user-written commands for analyzing xt (cross-sectional time-series) data. However, most of these commands do not take into account important features of the data relating to their time-series properties or cross-sectional dependence. This talk reviews the recent literature concerned with these features with reference to the types of data in which they arise. Most of the talk will be spent discussing and illustrating various Stata commands for analyzing these types of data, including several new user-written commands. The talk should be of general interest to users of xt data and of particular interest to researchers with panel datasets in which countries or regions are the unit of analysis and there is also a substantial time-series element. Over the past two decades, a literature dedicated to the analysis of macro panel data has concerned itself with some of the idiosyncrasies of this type of data, including variable nonstationarity and cointegration, as well as with the investigation of possible parameter heterogeneity across panel members and its implications for estimation and inference. Most recently, this literature has turned its attention to concerns over cross-sectional dependence, which can arise either in the form of unobservable global shocks that differ in their impact across countries (for example, the recent financial crisis) or as spillover effects (again, unobservable) between a subset of countries or regions.
|Date of creation:||26 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.stata.com/meeting/uk11|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Badi H. Baltagi & Chihwa Kao, 2000. "Nonstationary Panels, Cointegration in Panels and Dynamic Panels: A Survey," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 16, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Vanessa Smith, L. & Yamagata, Takashi, 2013.
"Panel unit root tests in the presence of a multifactor error structure,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 175(2), pages 94-115.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smit, L.V. & Yamagata, T., 2007. "Panel Unit Root Tests in the Presence of a Multifactor Error Structure," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0775, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, L. Vanessa & Yamagata, Takashi, 2007. "Panel Unit Root Tests in the Presence of a Multifactor Error Structure," IZA Discussion Papers 3254, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Hashem Pesaran & L. Vanessa Smith & Takashi Yamagata, 2008. "Panel Unit Root Tests in the Presence of a Multifactor Error Structure," Discussion Papers 08/03, Department of Economics, University of York.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & L. Vanessa Smith & Takashi Yamagata, 2008. "Panel Unit Root Tests in the Presence of a Multifactor Error Structure," CESifo Working Paper Series 2193, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999.
"Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data,"
1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000. "Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- Markus Eberhardt & Francis Teal, 2010.
"Productivity Analysis in Global Manufacturing Production,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c015_019, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Francis Teal & Markus Eberhardt, 2010. "Productivity Analysis in Global Manufacturing Production," Economics Series Working Papers 515, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Peter Pedroni, 2004.
"Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic and Finite Sample Properties of Pooled Time Series Tests with an Application to the PPP Hypothesis,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2004-15, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 2004. "Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic And Finite Sample Properties Of Pooled Time Series Tests With An Application To The Ppp Hypothesis," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 597-625, June.
- Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes & Ron Smith, 2004.
"Unobserved Heterogeneity in Panel Time Series Models,"
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
0403, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Coakley, Jerry & Fuertes, Ana-Maria & Smith, Ron, 2006. "Unobserved heterogeneity in panel time series models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2361-2380, May.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000.
"Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1504, Econometric Society.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2002. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 191-221, January.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 440, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2001.
"A Panic Attack on Unit Roots and Cointegration,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
469, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Francesco Moscone & Elisa Tosetti, 2009. "A Review And Comparison Of Tests Of Cross-Section Independence In Panels," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 528-561, 07.
- Suzanne McCoskey & Chihwa Kao, 1998.
"A residual-based test of the null of cointegration in panel data,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 57-84.
- Chihwa Kao & Suzanne McCoskey, 1997. "A Residual-Based Test Of The Null Of Cointegration In Panel Data," Econometrics 9711002, EconWPA.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995.
"Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992. "Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003.
"A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007. "A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boc:usug11:22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.