Microstructure Noise in the Continuous Case: The Pre-Averaging Approach - JLMPV-9
This paper presents a generalized pre-averaging approach for estimating the integrated volatility. This approach also provides consistent estimators of other powers of volatility – in particular, it gives feasible ways to consistently estimate the asymptotic variance of the estimator of the integrated volatility. We show that our approach, which possess an intuitive transparency, can generate rate optimal estimators (with convergence rate n-1/4).
|Date of creation:||10 Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ilze Kalnina & Oliver Linton, 2007.
"Inference about Realized Volatility using Infill Subsampling,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
523, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Ilze Kalnina & Oliver Linton, 2007. "Inference about realized volatility using infill subsampling," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4411, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bandi, Federico M. & Russell, Jeffrey R., 2006. "Separating microstructure noise from volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 655-692, March.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1998. "Answering the Skeptics: Yes, Standard Volatility Models Do Provide Accurate Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 885-905, November.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001.
"Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
8160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Anderson, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Labys, Paul, 2002. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Working Papers 02-12, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Dean P. Foster & Daniel B. Nelson, 1994.
"Continuous Record Asymptotics for Rolling Sample Variance Estimators,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0163, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Foster, Dean P & Nelson, Daniel B, 1996. "Continuous Record Asymptotics for Rolling Sample Variance Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 139-74, January.
- Mark Podolskij & Mathias Vetter, 2007.
"Estimation of Volatility Functionals in the Simultaneous Presence of Microstructure Noise and Jumps,"
CREATES Research Papers
2007-27, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Vetter, Mathias & Podolskij, Mark, 2006. "Estimation of Volatility Functionals in the Simultaneous Presence of Microstructure Noise and Jumps," Technical Reports 2006,51, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Per A. Mykland, 2003.
"How Often to Sample a Continuous-Time Process in the Presence of Market Microstructure Noise,"
NBER Working Papers
9611, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia, 2005. "How Often to Sample a Continuous-Time Process in the Presence of Market Microstructure Noise," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(2), pages 351-416.
- Zhang, Lan & Mykland, Per A. & Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 2005.
"A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility With Noisy High-Frequency Data,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1394-1411, December.
- Lan Zhang & Per A. Mykland & Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 2003. "A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility with Noisy High Frequency Data," NBER Working Papers 10111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yingying Li & Per A. Mykland, 2007. "Are volatility estimators robust with respect to modeling assumptions?," Papers 0709.0440, arXiv.org.
- Chernov, Mikhail & Ghysels, Eric, 2000. "A study towards a unified approach to the joint estimation of objective and risk neutral measures for the purpose of options valuation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 407-458, June.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Peter Reinhard Hansen & Asger Lunde & Neil Shephard, 2008.
"Designing Realized Kernels to Measure the ex post Variation of Equity Prices in the Presence of Noise,"
Econometric Society, vol. 76(6), pages 1481-1536, November.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Peter Reinhard Hansen & Asger Lunde & Neil Shephard, 2006. "Designing realised kernels to measure the ex-post variation of equity prices in the presence of noise," Economics Papers 2006-W03, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ole E Barndorff-Nielsen & Peter Hansen & Asger Lunde & Neil Shephard, 2006. "Designing realised kernels to measure the ex-post variation of equity prices in the presence of noise," OFRC Working Papers Series 2006fe05, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Sílvia Gonçalves & Nour Meddahi, 2009. "Bootstrapping Realized Volatility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(1), pages 283-306, 01.
- Andersen T. G & Bollerslev T. & Diebold F. X & Labys P., 2001. "The Distribution of Realized Exchange Rate Volatility," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 42-55, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2007-43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.