Social Science & Medicine
1997, Volume 45, Issue 11
- 1679-1704 Infertility and psychological distress: A critical review of the literature
by Greil, Arthur L.
- 1705-1713 Motivation underlying career choice for internal medicine and surgery
by Williams, Geoffrey C. & Saizow, Ronald & Ross, Lisa & Deci, Edward L.
- 1715-1727 Wishes regarding the use of life-sustaining treatments among elderly persons in Israel: An explanatory model
by Carmel, Sara & Mutran, Elizabeth
- 1729-1739 "I just cope from day to day": Unpredictability and anxiety in the lives of women
by Walters, Vivienne & Charles, Nickie
- 1741-1749 Emergent perplexity: In search of post-normal questions for community and agroecosystem health
by Waltner-Toews, David & Wall, Ellen
1997, Volume 45, Issue 10
- 1465-1482 Undercover careseekers: Simulated clients in the study of health provider behavior in developing countries
by Madden, J. M. & Quick, J. D. & Ross-Degnan, D. & Kafle, K. K.
- 1483-1491 Images of health and health care options among low income women in Punjab, Pakistan
by Winkvist, Anna & Akhtar, Humaira Zareen
- 1493-1501 Developing community mental health services for children in South Africa
by Pillay, A. L. & Lockhat, M. R.
- 1503-1517 A study of the breast cancer dynamics in North Carolina
by Christakos, George & Lai, Jaim-Jou
- 1519-1525 Collecting retrospective data: Accuracy of recall after 50 years judged against historical records
by Berney, L. R. & Blane, D. B.
- 1527-1536 Ageing and the relationship between functional status and self-rated health in elderly men
by Hoeymans, N. & Feskens, E. J. M. & Kromhout, D. & Van Den Bos, G. A. M.
- 1537-1539 Unintended effects of a cost-containment policy: Results of a natural experiment in Germany
by Schöffski, Oliver & von der Schulenburg, J. Matthias Graf
- 1541-1548 Decision-making and hormone replacement therapy: A qualitative analysis
by Hunter, Myra S. & O'Dea, Irene & Britten, Nicky
- 1549-1562 Health-related behaviours and psycho-social characteristics of 18 year-old Australians
by Milligan, R. A. K. & Burke, V. & Beilin, L. J. & Richards, J. & Dunbar, D. & Spencer, M. & Balde, E. & Gracey, M. P.
- 1563-1570 Suicide: Qualitative data from focus group interviews with youth
by Coggan, Carolyn & Patterson, Pam & Fill, Jacqui
- 1571-1579 The rise and rise of proton pump inhibitor drugs: Patients' perspectives
by Boath, Elizabeth H. & Blenkinsopp, Alison
- 1581-1587 Sex differences in prescribed medications: Another case of discrimination in general practice
by Sayer, Geoffrey P. & Britt, Helena
- 1589-1596 Health and gender differences between middle and senior managers in the Canadian Public Service
by Tomiak, Monica & Gentleman, Jane F. & Jette, Maurice
- 1597-1599 Letter to the editor
by Barnhoorn, Florie & Van Der Geest, Sjaak
1997, Volume 45, Issue 9
- 1315-1323 Thermometer use among Mexican immigrant mothers in California
by Schwartz, Norah & Guendelman, Sylvia & English, Paul
- 1325-1336 The relationship between condition-specific morbidity, social support and material deprivation in pregnancy and early motherhood
by Baker, Deborah & Taylor, Hazel & The Alspac Survey Team
- 1337-1355 Making sense of randomization; responses of parents of critically ill babies to random allocation of treatment in a clinical trial
by Snowdon, Claire & Garcia, Jo & Elbourne, Diana
- 1357-1376 Psychological and social predictors of motorcycle use by young adult males in New Zealand
by Reeder, A. I. & Chalmers, D. J. & Marshall, S. W. & Langley, J. D.
- 1377-1386 Opportunities and impediments for a consolidating and expanding profession: Genetic counseling in the United States
by Kenen, Regina H.
- 1387-1397 Marital status effects on health: Are there differences between never married women and divorced and separated women?
by Waldron, Ingrid & Weiss, Christopher C. & Hughes, Mary Elizabeth
- 1399-1409 Early probable Alzheimer's Disease and Awareness Context Theory
by Hutchinson, Sally A. & Leger-Krall, Sue & Wilson, Holly Skodol
- 1411-1421 "We decide, you carry it out": A social network analysis of multidisciplinary long-term care teams
by Cott, Cheryl
- 1423-1431 From careless consumptives to recalcitrant patients: The historical construction of noncompliance
by Lerner, Barron H.
- 1433-1447 The effects of the cultural context of health care on treatment of and response to chronic pain and illness
by Bates, Maryann S. & Rankin-Hill, Lesley & Sanchez-Ayendez, Melba
- 1449-1458 The significance of the mouth in old age
by Macentee, Michael I. & Hole, Rachelle & Stolar, Elaine
1997, Volume 45, Issue 8
- 1143-1145 Violence and well-being
by Desjarlais, Robert & Kleinman, Arthur
- 1147-1160 Gender, domestic violence and sickness in Mexico
by Finkler, Kaja
- 1161-1176 Domestic violence and mental health: Correlates and conundrums within and across cultures
by Fischbach, Ruth L. & Herbert, Barbara
- 1177-1188 Friends, neighbors, enemies, strangers: Aggressor and victim in civilian ethnic riots
by Tambiah, Stanley J.
- 1189-1197 Adolescents and violence: "Adults are cruel, they just beat, beat, beat!"
by Ramphele, M. A.
- 1199-1205 Physician judgments of chronic pain patients
by Tait, Raymond C. & Chibnall, John T.
- 1207-1221 Positive psychological states and coping with severe stress
by Folkman, Susan
- 1223-1229 The treatment of insomnia through mass media, the results of a televised behavioural training programme
by Oosterhuis, A. & Klip, E. C.
- 1231-1239 Does intelligence account for the link between maternal literacy and child survival?
by Sandiford, P. & Cassel, J. & Sanchez, G. & Coldham, C.
- 1241-1249 Cultural orientation and use of cannabis and inhalants among secondary school children in Zimbabwe
by Eide, Arne H. & Acuda, S. W.
- 1251-1264 Social stress and trauma: Synthesis and spatial analysis
by Harries, Keith
- 1265-1276 Russian medical care in the 1990s: A user's perspective
by Brown, Julie V. & Rusinova, Nina L.
- 1277-1288 Reactance theory and patient noncompliance
by Fogarty, Jeanne S.
- 1289-1297 Valuing health status using VAS and TTO: What lies behind the numbers?
by Robinson, Angela & Dolan, Paul & Williams, Alan
- 1299-1309 Dimensions of quality of life expressed by men treated for metastatic prostate cancer
by Clark, Jack A. & Wray, Nelda & Brody, Baruch & Ashton, Carol & Giesler, Brian & Watkins, Herbert
1997, Volume 45, Issue 7
- 973-977 The economic cost of homicide in New Zealand
by Fanslow, Janet & Coggan, Carolyn & Miller, Brent & Norton, Robyn
- 979-989 Why women say yes to prenatal diagnosis
by Press, Nancy & Browner, C. H.
- 991-1004 Pneumonia perceptions and management: An ethnographic study in urban squatter settlements of Karachi, Pakistan
by Hussain, Rafat & Lobo, Melvyn A. & Inam, Bazmi & Khan, Amanullah & Qureshi, Asma Fozia & Marsh, David
- 1005-1015 "Painting a Leonardo with finger paint": Medical practitioners communicating about death with Aboriginal people
by Weeramanthri, Tarun
- 1017-1029 Caregiving: A common or uncommon experience?
by Howe, Anna L. & Schofield, Hilary & Herrman, Helen
- 1031-1040 Infant mortality among various nationalities in the middle part of Guizhou, China
by Huang, Wenyong & Yu, Huachun & Wang, Fuying & Li, Guanchong
- 1041-1049 Modern medicine and the "uncertain body": From corporeality to hyperreality?
by Williams, Simon J.
- 1051-1063 Quality of life and social production functions: A framework for understanding health effects
by Ormel, Johan & Lindenberg, Siegwart & Steverink, Nardi & Vonkorff, Michael
- 1065-1074 Traditional medicine in contemporary Ghana: A public policy analysis
by Tsey, Komla
- 1075-1087 The "race" concept in smoking: A review of the research on African Americans
by King, Gary
- 1089-1098 Urban small area variation in adolescents' health behaviour
by Karvonen, Sakari & Rimpelä, Arja H.
- 1099-1110 Perceived work conditions and work-related symptoms among employed Finns
by Räsänen, Kimmo & Notkola, Veijo & Husman, Kaj
- 1111-1120 Chronic work stress, sickness absence, and hypertension in middle managers: General or specific sociological explanations?
by Peter, Richard & Siegrist, Johannes
- 1121-1127 The relationship of income inequality to mortality: Does the choice of indicator matter?
by Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P.
- 1129-1133 Contingent legitimacy: U.K. alternative practitioners and inter-sectoral acceptance
by Tovey, Philip
- 1135-1138 Role concepts and expectations of physicians and nurses in hospitals
by Verschuren, P. J. M. & Masselink, H.
1997, Volume 45, Issue 6
- 803-809 Male mortality differentials by socio-economic group in Ireland
by O'Shea, Eamon
- 811-825 The black box in somatization: Unexplained physical symptoms, culture, and narratives of trauma
by Waitzkin, Howard & Magaña, Holly
- 827-836 Level of education, age of bearing children and mental health of women
by Williams, Sheila & McGee, Rob & Olaman, Susan & Knight, Robert
- 837-845 The legitimacy of grieving: The partner's experience at miscarriage
by Puddifoot, John E. & Johnson, Martin P.
- 847-858 Healthy or druggy? Self-image, ideal image and smoking behaviour among young people
by Amos, Amanda & Gray, David & Currie, Candace & Elton, Rob
- 859-866 The influence of socioeconomic status on health service utilisation by patients with AIDS in North Italy
by Tramarin, A. & Campostrini, S. & Tolley, K. & De Lalla, F.
- 867-877 Mutual influences of health and poverty evidence from German panel data
by Thiede, Michael & Traub, Stefan
- 879-885 Validating a satisfaction questionnaire using multiple approaches: A case study
by Etter, Jean-François & Perneger, Thomas V.
- 887-892 The ethics of euthanasia--Attitudes and practice among Norwegian physicians
by Førde, Reidun & Aasland, Olaf Gjerløw & Falkum, Erik
- 893-902 People, places and coronary heart disease risk factors: A multilevel analysis of the Scottish heart health study archive
by Hart, Carole & Ecob, Russell & Smith, George Davey
- 903-914 The socio-spatial stigmatization of homelessness and HIV/AIDS: Toward an explanation of the NIMBY syndrome
by Takahashi, Lois M.
- 915-923 The physical costs of AIDS caregiving
by Leblanc, Allen J. & London, Andrew S. & Aneshensel, Carol S.
- 925-936 Choosing a birth attendant: The influence of a woman's childbirth definition
by Howell-White, Sandra
- 937-942 Unplanned pregnancies in Harare: What are the social and sexual determinants?
by Mbizvo, M. T. & Bonduelle, M. M. J. & Chadzuka, S. & Lindmark, G. & Nystrom, L.
- 943-956 Age- and sex-differentials in morbidity at the start of an epidemiological transition: Returns from the 1880 U.S. Census
by Elman, Cheryl & Myers, George
- 957-966 AIDS-related knowledge, attitudes and behaviour among South African street youth: Reflections on power, sexuality and the autonomous self
by Swart-Kruger, Jill & Richter, Linda M.
- 967-970 How marginal is a "marginalised group"?
by Crewe, Mary
1997, Volume 45, Issue 5
- 649-657 Space, sterility and surgery: Circuits of hygiene in the operating theatre
by Fox, Nick J.
- 659-667 Household cost of seeking malaria care. A retrospective study of two districts in Ghana
by Asenso-Okyere, W. K. & Dzator, Janet A.
- 669-676 A qualitative study of sexual harassment of female doctors by patients
by Schneider, Margaret & Phillips, Susan P.
- 677-687 Social network associations with contraceptive use among Cameroonian women in voluntary associations
by Valente, Thomas W. & Watkins, Susan C. & Jato, Miriam N. & Van Der Straten, Ariane & Tsitsol, Louis-Philippe M.
- 689-698 The conceptual basis of ethnic group terminology and classifications
by Aspinall, Peter J.
- 699-709 Patients' and professionals' understandings of the causes of chronic pain: Blame, responsibility and identity protection
by Eccleston, Chris & De C. Williams, Amanda C. & Rogers, Wendy Stainton
- 711-722 Gender differences in medical treatment: The case of physician-prescribed activity restrictions
by Safran, Dana Gelb & Rogers, William H. & Tarlov, Alvin R. & McHorney, Colleen A. & Ware, John E.
- 723-729 Salary inequality and primary care integration in South Africa
by Bachmann, Max O. & Makan, Bupendra
- 731-738 Quality of sleep during economic recession in Finland: A longitudinal cohort study
by Hyyppä, Markku T. & Kronholm, Erkki & Alanen, Erkki
- 739-750 Explaining disablement in modern times: Hand-injured workers' accounts of their injuries in Hong Kong
by Cheng, Y. H.
- 751-760 Climacteric hormone therapy in medical and lay texts in Finland from 1955 to 1992
by Topo, Päivi
- 761-771 Comparing measures of health inequality
by Manor, Orly & Matthews, Sharon & Power, Chris
- 773-782 Social support as conversation: Analysing breast cancer patients' interactions with their partners
by Pistrang, Nancy & Barker, Chris & Rutter, Christine
- 783-795 Psychosocial study of epilepsy in Africa
by Jilek-Aall, Louise & Jilek, Martica & Kaaya, John & Mkombachepa, Lilian & Hillary, Kalister
- 797-797 Letter to the editor
by Pittroff, Rudi
- 799-799 Response to letter to the editor by Dr Rudi Pittroff
by Norbeck, Jane S. & Dejoseph, Jeanne F.
1997, Volume 45, Issue 4
- 505-510 Introduction and overview
by Sloan, Frank A. & Grabowski, Henry G.
- 511-521 Managed care pharmacy, socioeconomic assessments and drug adoption decisions
by Lyles, Alan & Luce, Bryan R. & Rentz, Anne M.
- 523-533 Hospital pharmacy decisions, cost containment, and the use of cost-effectiveness analysis
by Sloan, Frank A. & Whetten-Goldstein, Kathryn & Wilson, Alicia
- 535-544 Pharmacy benefit management, cost-effectiveness analysis and drug formulary decisions
by Grabowski, Henry & Mullins, C. Daniel
- 545-554 The Oregon experiment: The role of cost-benefit analysis in the allocation of Medicaid funds
by Blumstein, James F.
- 555-562 Making economic evaluations respectable
by Reinhardt, Uwe E.
- 563-581 Australian economic evaluation and government decisions on pharmaceuticals, compared to assessment of other health technologies
by Hailey, David
- 583-595 Economic evaluation under managed competition: Evidence from the U.K
by Drummond, Michael & Cooke, Jonathan & Walley, Tom
- 597-604 Economic evaluation of medical technologies in Sweden
by Jönsson, Bengt
- 605-620 Economic evaluation in support of national health policy: The case of the Netherlands
by Elsinga, Einte & Rutten, Frans F. H.
- 621-633 Economic evaluation of medical technologies: From theory to practice--The German perspective
by Von Der Schulenburg, J. -Matthias Graf
- 635-643 Pharmaceutical economy and the economic assessment of drugs in France
by Pen, Claude Le
- 645-647 Conclusions and implications
by Sloan, Frank A. & Grabowski, Henry G.
1997, Volume 45, Issue 3
- 341-349 Staying single in the 1990s: Single-handed practitioners in the new National Health Service
by Lunt, Neil & Atkin, Karl & Hirst, Michael
- 351-360 Health sector reform: Lessons from China
by Bloom, Gerald & Xingyuan, Gu
- 361-372 From lineage to conjugality: The social context of fertility decisions among the Pare of Northern Tanzania
by Hollos, Marida & Larsen, Ulla
- 373-381 Consumerism, reflexivity and the medical encounter
by Lupton, Deborah
- 383-397 Age-specific education and income gradients in morbidity and mortality in a Canadian province
by Mustard, Cameron A. & Derksen, Shelley & Berthelot, Jean-marie & Wolfson, Michael & Roos, Leslie L.
- 399-410 Socioeconomic inequality and psychopathology: Are socioeconomic status and social class interchangeable?
by Wohlfarth, Tamar
- 411-418 Prediction of psychological adjustment to multiple sclerosis
by Barnwell, Alison M. & Kavanagh, David J.
- 419-427 Anxiety and patient participation in clinical decision-making: The case of patients with ureteral calculi
by Margalith, Ilana & Shapiro, Amos
- 429-439 Back pain claim rates and the business cycle
by Brooker, Ann-Sylvia & Frank, John W. & Tarasuk, Valerie S.
- 441-447 The modern mental health system in Nepal: Organizational persistence in the absence of legitimating myths
by Tausig, Mark & Subedi, Sree
- 449-463 An unruly mélange? Coordinating external resources to the health sector: A review
by Buse, Kent & Walt, Gill
- 465-476 Disadvantage and male cancer incidence and mortality in New South Wales 1985-1993
by Burnley, I. H.
- 477-484 Awareness of dying: Prevalence, causes and consequences
by Seale, Clive & Addington-Hall, Julia & McCarthy, Mark
- 485-496 Ethnicity, equity and the use of health services in the British NHS
by Smaje, Chris & Le Grand, Julian
- 497-499 Problem-based learning in medicine: New curriculum, old stereotypes
by Phillips, Susan P.
1997, Volume 45, Issue 2
- 171-188 Is nondashmetropolitan residence a risk factor for poor birth outcome in the U.S.?
by Larson, Eric H. & Hart, L. Gary & Rosenblatt, Roger A.
- 189-201 Medication, chronic illness and identity: The perspective of people with asthma
by Adams, Stephanie & Pill, Roisin & Jones, Alan
- 203-212 Health care and consumer choice: Medical and alternative therapies
by Kelner, Merrijoy & Wellman, Beverly
- 213-220 Socioeconomic inequity in health care: A study of services utilization in Curaçao
by Alberts, Jantina F. & Sanderman, Robbert & Eimers, J. Marietta & Van Den Heuvel, Wim J. A.
- 221-230 Quality of life: A dynamic construct
by Allison, P. J. & Locker, D. & Feine, J. S.
- 231-246 Sex differences in physical symptoms: The contribution of symptom perception theory
by van Wijk, Cécile M. T. Gijsbers & Kolk, Annemarie M.
- 247-259 Population growth, poverty and health
by Kibirige, Joachim S.
- 261-271 Appropriateness in health care: Application to prescribing
by Buetow, Stephen A. & Sibbald, Bonnie & Cantrill, Judith A. & Halliwell, Shirley
- 273-281 Migrancy, masculine identities and AIDS: The psychosocial context of HIV transmission on the South African gold mines
by Campbell, Catherine
- 283-294 Cleaning the womb: Constructions of cervical screening and womb cancer among rural Black women in South Africa
by Wood, Katharine & Jewkes, Rachel & Abrahams, Naeemah
- 295-303 Head injury rehabilitation in the U.K.: An economic perspective
by McGregor, K. & Pentland, B.
- 305-317 Female life expectancy, gender stratification, health status, and level of economic development: A cross-national study of less developed countries
by Williamson, John B. & Boehmer, Ulrike
- 319-329 Communicating with the people about HIV infection risk as a basis for planning interventions: Lessons from the Kagera region of Tanzania
by Killewo, J. & Sandström, A. & Dahlgren, L. & Wall, S.
- 331-340 The effect of spatial definition on the allocation of clients to screening clinics
by Hyndman, Jilda & D'Arcy, C. & Holman, J. & Jamrozik, K.
1997, Volume 45, Issue 1
- 1-2 Conventions, ethics and laws in journal publishing
by Macintyre, Sally
- 3-14 Morbidity and Irish Catholic descent in Britain: An ethnic and religious minority 150 years on
by Abbotts, Joanne & Williams, Rory & Ford, Graeme & Hunt, Kate & West, Patrick
- 15-22 HIV-infected women: Barriers to AZT use
by Siegel, Karolynn & Gorey, Eileen
- 23-33 Negotiating spaces in home environments: Older women living with arthritis
by Moss, Pamela
- 35-40 Young doctors' health--I. How do working conditions affect attitudes, health and performance?
by Baldwin, P. J. & Dodd, M. & Wrate, R. W.
- 41-44 Young doctors' health--II. Health and health behaviour
by Baldwin, P. J. & Dodd, M. & Wrate, R. M.
- 45-49 The status of genetic material and genetic information in The Netherlands
by de Witte, Joke I. & Welie, Jos V. M.
- 51-60 Ownership of genetic material and information
by de Witte, Joke I. & Have, Henk Ten
- 61-69 World War I origins of the syphilis epidemic among 20th century black Americans: A biohistorical analysis
by Miles, Toni P. & McBride, David
- 71-89 Bore holes and the vanishing of guinea worm disease in Ghana's Upper Region
by Hunter, John M.
- 91-98 Lay injection practices among migrant farmworkers in the age of AIDS: Evolution of a biomedical folk practice
by McVea, Kristine L. S. P.
- 99-111 Life stories and shared experience
by Steffen, Vibeke
- 113-125 Sociocultural factors and the promotion of exclusive breastfeeding in rural Yoruba communities of Osun State, Nigeria
by Davies-Adetugbo, Anita A.
- 127-136 Gender differences in correlates of disablement among the elderly in Egypt
by Lamb, Vicki L.
- 137-147 Understanding donors' motivations: A study of unrelated bone marrow donors
by Switzer, Galen E. & Dew, Mary Amanda & Butterworth, Victoria A. & Simmons, Roberta G. & Schimmel, Mindy
- 149-157 Women's health status and use of health services in a rapidly growing peri-urban area of South Africa
by Hoffman, M. & Pick, W. M. & Cooper, D. & Myers, J. E.
- 159-169 Dietary and lifestyle correlates of passive smoking in Hong Kong, Japan, Sweden, and the U.S.A
by Koo, Linda C. & Kabat, Geoffrey C. & Rylander, Ragnar & Tominaga, Suketami & Kato, Ikuko & Ho, John H-C.
1997, Volume 44, Issue 12
- 1771-1779 Some conceptual considerations on the sense of coherence
by Geyer, Siegfried
- 1781-1790 The poor pay more: Health-related inequality in Thailand
by Pannarunothai, Supasit & Mills, Anne
- 1791-1803 Health-seeking strategies and sexual health among female sex workers in urban India: Implications for research and service provision
by Evans, Catrin & Lambert, Helen
- 1805-1816 Costs and benefits of improving tuberculosis control: The case of Thailand
by Sawert, Holger & Kongsin, Sukhontha & Payanandan, Vallop & Akarasewi, Pasakorn & Nunn, Paul P. & Raviglione, Mario C.
- 1817-1824 Women's perceptions of the complications of pregnancy and childbirth in two Esan communities, Edo State, Nigeria
by Asowa-Omorodion, Francisca Isibhakhome
- 1825-1832 Women physicians in Quebec
by De Koninck, Maria & Bergeron, Pierre & Bourbonnais, Renée
- 1833-1845 Women's hidden transcripts about abortion in Brazil
by Nations, Marilyn K. & Misago, Chizuru & Fonseca, Walter & Correia, Luciano L. & Campbell, Oona M. R.
- 1847-1859 Female labor force participation and suicide
by Burr, Jeffrey A. & McCall, Patricia L. & Powell-Griner, Eve
- 1861-1869 Girls, pecking order and smoking
by Michell, Lynn & Amos, Amanda
- 1871-1880 Long-term benzodiazepine use: Factors of importance and the development of individual use patterns over time--A 13-year follow-up in a Swedish community
by Isacson, Dag
- 1881-1891 Socioeconomic status and adolescent injuries
by Williams, J. M. & Currie, C. E. & Wright, P. & Elton, R. A. & Beattie, T. F.
- 1893-1902 Dispersion index: Measuring trend assessment of geographical inequality in health--The example of under-five mortality in the Middle East/North African region, 1980-1994
by Galal, Osman M. & Qureshi, Azhar K.
- 1903-1909 The Gambian National Impregnated Bednet Programme: Evaluation of the 1994 cost recovery trial
by Müller, Olaf & Cham, Kabbir & Jaffar, Shabbar & Greenwood, Brian
- 1911-1917 Willingness to pay for antihypertensive care: Evidence from a staff-model HMO
by Ramsey, Scott D. & Sullivan, Sean D. & Psaty, Bruce M. & Patrick, Donald L.
- 1919-1929 Are there social correlates to suicide?
by Mäkinen, Ilkka
- 1931-1932 A call for consistency in definition of breastfeeding behaviors
by Labbok, Miriam H. & Coffin, C. Jared
1997, Volume 44, Issue 11
- 1603-1610 Patients' acceptance of waiting for cataract surgery: What makes a wait too long?
by Dunn, Elaine & Black, Charlyn & Alonso, Jordi & Norregaard, Jens Christian & Anderson, Gerard F.
- 1611-1621 Meanings in policy: A textual analysis of Canada's "Achieving Health for All" document
by Iannantuono, Adele & Eyles, John
- 1623-1647 Health status and risk factors of seminomadic pastoralists in Mongolia: A geographical approach
by Foggin, Peter M. & Farkas, Otto & Shiirev-Adiya, S. & Chinbat, B.
- 1649-1659 Urban ecological structure and perceived child and adolescent psychological disorder
by Leclair, James A. & Innes, Frank C.
- 1661-1674 Community and self: Concepts for rural physician integration and retention
by Cutchin, Malcolm P.
- 1675-1684 Intra-household allocation of food and health care: Current findings and understandings--Introduction
by Messer, Ellen
- 1685-1695 Social class, gender and intrahousehold food allocations to children in South Asia
by Miller, Barbara D.
- 1697-1709 Food allocation in rural Peruvian households: Concepts and behavior regarding children
by Graham, Margaret A.
- 1711-1723 Health care allocation and selective neglect in rural Peru
by Larme, Anne C.
- 1725-1738 Why are boys so small? Child growth, diet and gender near Ranomafana, Madagascar
by Hardenbergh, Sabrina H. B.
- 1739-1749 Cultural factors, caloric intake and micronutrient sufficiency in rural Nepali households
by Gittelsohn, Joel & Thapa, Meera & Landman, Laura T.
- 1751-1759 Examining the gender gap in nutrition: An example from rural Mexico
by Backstrand, Jeffrey R. & Allen, Lindsay H. & Pelto, Gretel H. & Chávez, Adolfo
- 1761-1766 Physician location survey: Self-reported and census-defined rural/urban locations
by Lin, Ge & Rosenthal, Thomas C. & Horwitz, Mary
1997, Volume 44, Issue 10
- 1433-1452 Disclosure practices and cultural narratives: Understanding concealment and silence around cancer in Tuscany, Italy
by Gordon, Deborah R. & Paci, Eugenio
- 1453-1464 Designing educational messages to improve weaning food hygiene practices of families living in proverty
by Monte, Cristina M. G. & Ashworth, Ann & Nations, Marilyn K. & Lima, A. A. & Barreto, A. & Huttly, Sharon R. A.
- 1465-1482 A change of heart and a change of mind? Technology and the redefinition of death in 1968
by Giacomini, Mita
- 1483-1490 Age, adjustment, and costs: A study of chronic illnesses
by Watt, Susan & Roberts, Jacqueline & Browne, Gina & Gafni, Amiram
- 1491-1502 Surrogate assessment of coronary artery disease patients' functional capacity
by Von Dras, Dean D. & Siegler, Ilene C. & Williams, Redford B. & Clapp-Channing, Nancy & Haney, Thomas L. & Mark, Daniel B.
- 1503-1517 Beyond single indicators of social networks: A LISREL analysis of social ties among the elderly
by Glass, Thomas A. & de Leon, Carlos F. Mendes & Seeman, Teresa E. & Berkman, Lisa F.
- 1519-1530 Mapping visual analogue scale health state valuations onto standard gamble and time trade-off values
by Dolan, Paul & Sutton, Matthew
- 1531-1540 Patient preference for genders of health professionals
by Kerssens, Jan J. & Bensing, Jozien M. & Andela, Margriet G.
- 1541-1551 Women's health care: For whom and why?
by van den Brink-Muinen, A.
- 1553-1561 Patterns of sexual behaviour in a rural population in north-western Tanzania
by Munguti, Katua & Grosskurth, Heiner & Newell, James & Senkoro, Kesheni & Mosha, Frank & Todd, James & Mayaud, Philippe & Gavyole, Awena & Quigley, Maria & Hayes, Richard
- 1563-1563 Introduction to symposium: On-going studies in critical medical anthropology
by Baer, Hans A.
- 1565-1573 The misconstruction of critical medical anthropology: A response to a cultural constructivist critique
by Baer, Hans A.
- 1575-1583 Constructing a complex of contagion: The perceptions of AIDS among working prostitutes in Costa Rica
by Downe, Pamela J.
- 1585-1600 Hard lives and evil winds: Illness aetiology and the search for healing amongst Ciskeian villagers
by Segar, Julia
1997, Volume 44, Issue 9
- 1259-1269 Studying the quality of life after organ transplantation: Research problems and solutions
by Joralemon, Donald & Fujinaga, Kim Mika
- 1271-1283 Kidney failure and transplantation in China
by Ikels, Charlotte
- 1285-1302 Changing patterns of pharmaceutical practice in the United States
by Vuckovic, Nancy & Nichter, Mark
- 1303-1312 Effectiveness of condoms in preventing HIV transmission
by Pinkerton, Steven D. & Abramson, Paul R.