Health financing in fragile and post-conflict states: What do we know and what are the gaps?
There has been a growing concern with post-conflict and fragile states over the past decade, both in relation to their high level of health and development needs but also for the risk they pose to the wider international community. This paper presents an exploratory literature review to analyse the themes and findings of recent writing on one important pillar of the health system – health financing – in these countries. It finds that here is a growing but still very limited literature. Most of the insights from existing literature relate to the role of donors. There is a need for more work on access to care and equity over the post-conflict period, the mix and sequencing of financing mechanisms, resource allocation, regulation, public financial management, payment systems and incentives at facility and health worker levels, and on overall health financing strategies and their possible contribution to wider state-building. Topics which have received attention, such as contracting and non-state actors, could benefit from more rigorous analysis with a longer time perspective. A longitudinal approach, which examines how decisions taken in the immediate post-conflict period may or may not influence longer term developments, would provide important insights. As health systems in fragile and post-conflict states are often forced to innovate, they can generate useful lessons for other settings too.
Volume (Year): 75 (2012)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler, 2004.
"Greed and Grievance in Civil War,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Abu-Zaineh, Mohammad & Mataria, Awad & Moatti, Jean-Paul & Ventelou, Bruno, 2011. "Measuring and decomposing socioeconomic inequality in healthcare delivery: A microsimulation approach with application to the Palestinian conflict-affected fragile setting," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 133-141, January.
- Benjamin Loevinsohn, 2008. "Performance-Based Contracting for Health Services in Developing Countries : A Toolkit," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6481.
- Pia Schneider & Kara Hanson, 2006. "Horizontal equity in utilisation of care and fairness of health financing: a comparison of micro-health insurance and user fees in Rwanda," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 19-31.
- Matsuoka, Sadatoshi & Aiga, Hirotsugu & Rasmey, Lon Chan & Rathavy, Tung & Okitsu, Akiko, 2010. "Perceived barriers to utilization of maternal health services in rural Cambodia," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 95(2-3), pages 255-263, May.
- Richard Batley & Claire Mcloughlin, 2010. "Engagement with Non-State Service Providers in Fragile States: Reconciling State-Building and Service Delivery," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(2), pages 131-154, 03.
- Ir, Por & Bigdeli, Maryam & Meessen, Bruno & Van Damme, Wim, 2010. "Translating knowledge into policy and action to promote health equity: The Health Equity Fund policy process in Cambodia 2000-2008," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 200-209, August.
- Kruk, Margaret E. & Freedman, Lynn P. & Anglin, Grace A. & Waldman, Ronald J., 2010. "Rebuilding health systems to improve health and promote statebuilding in post-conflict countries: A theoretical framework and research agenda," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 89-97, January.
- Trani, Jean-Francois & Bakhshi, Parul & Noor, Ayan A. & Lopez, Dominique & Mashkoor, Ashraf, 2010. "Poverty, vulnerability, and provision of healthcare in Afghanistan," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(11), pages 1745-1755, June.
- Akashi, Hidechika & Yamada, Takako & Huot, Eng & Kanal, Koum & Sugimoto, Takao, 2004. "User fees at a public hospital in Cambodia: effects on hospital performance and provider attitudes," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 553-564, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:75:y:2012:i:12:p:2370-2377. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.