Social Science & Medicine
May 1999, Volume 48, Issue 9
- 1161-1172 The relationship of functional limitations to disability and the moderating effects of psychological attributes in community-dwelling older persons
by Kempen, Gertrudis I. J. M. & van Heuvelen, Marieke J. G. & van Sonderen, Eric & van den Brink, Rob H. S. & Kooijman, Aart C. & Ormel, Johan
- 1173-1187 Models of disablement, universalism and the international classification of impairments, disabilities and handicaps
by Bickenbach, Jerome E. & Chatterji, Somnath & Badley, E. M. & Üstün, T. B.
- 1189-1203 The power of the visible: the meaning of diagnostic tests in chronic back pain
by Rhodes, Lorna A. & McPhillips-Tangum, Carol A. & Markham, Christine & Klenk, Rebecca
- 1205-1220 A cost-effectiveness analysis of vaccination strategies against N. meningitidis meningitis in sub-Saharan African countries
by Bovier, Patrick A. & Wyss, Kaspar & J. Au, Heather
- 1221-1235 Gender differences in structural and behavioral determinants of health: an analysis of the social production of health
by Denton, Margaret & Walters, Vivienne
- 1237-1245 Do ethnic groups use health services like the majority of the population? A study from Quebec, Canada
by Blais, Régis & Maïga, Aboubacrine
- 1247-1258 No struggle, no strength: how pharmacists lost their monopoly
by Morgall, Janine Marie & Almarsdóttir, Anna Birna
- 1259-1269 Measuring both negative and positive reactions to giving care to cancer patients: psychometric qualities of the Caregiver Reaction Assessment (CRA)
by Nijboer, Chris & Triemstra, Mattanja & Tempelaar, Reike & Sanderman, Robbert & van den Bos, Geertrudis A. M.
- 1271-1280 Extending specialist palliative care to all?
by Field, David & Addington-Hall, Julia
- 1281-1290 The gradient in mammography screening behavior: a lifestyle marker
by Hagoel, Lea & Ore, Liora & Neter, Efrat & Shifroni, Galia & Rennert, Gad
- 1291-1299 The effect of spiritual beliefs on outcome from illness
by King, Michael & Speck, Peter & Thomas, Angela
April 1999, Volume 48, Issue 8
- 977-988 The disability paradox: high quality of life against all odds
by Albrecht, Gary L. & Devlieger, Patrick J.
- 989-996 Patient satisfaction in developing countries
by Bernhart, Michael H. & Wiadnyana, I. G. P. & Wihardjo, Haryoko & Pohan, Imbalos
- 997-1009 Risk analysis of poor health and growth failure of children in the central highlands of Guatemala
by Immink, Maarten D. C. & Payongayong, Ellen
- 1011-1027 Predictors of childhood immunization completion in a rural population
by Gore, Prasanna & Madhavan, Suresh & Curry, David & McClung, Gordon & Castiglia, Mary & Rosenbluth, Sidney A. & Smego, Raymond A.
- 1029-1046 Starting mental health services in Cambodia
by Somasundaram, Daya J. & van de Put, Willem A. C. M. & Eisenbruch, Maurice & de Jong, Joop T. V. M.
- 1047-1051 From African health and influenza pandemics to disease in Russia: the medical history of K. David Patterson
by Pyle, Gerald F.
- 1053-1067 Attaining health for all through community partnerships: principles of the census-based, impact-oriented (CBIO) approach to primary health care developed in Bolivia, South America
by Perry, Henry & Robison, Nathan & Chavez, Dardo & Taja, Orlando & Carolina Hilari & Shanklin, David & Wyon, John
- 1069-1079 Perceptions of soil-eating and anaemia among pregnant women on the Kenyan coast
by Geissler, P. W. & Prince, R. J. & Levene, M. & Poda, C. & Beckerleg, S. E. & Mutemi, W. & Shulman, C. E.
- 1081-1094 The social ecology of syphilis
by Thomas, James C. & Clark, Michele & Robinson, Jadis & Monnett, Martha & Kilmarx, Peter H. & Peterman, Thomas A.
- 1095-1102 Implications of social class and race for urban public health policy making: a case study of HIV/AIDS and TB policy in Washington, DCThe views in this paper are the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or position of the authors' agencies
by Dievler, Anne & Pappas, Gregory
- 1103-1116 Sexual regimes and sexual networking: the risk of an HIV/AIDS epidemic in Bangladesh
by Caldwell, Bruce & Pieris, Indrani & Barkat-e-Khuda & Caldwell, John & Caldwell, Pat
- 1117-1122 Reliability of perceived health by sex and age
by Martikainen, Pekka & Aromaa, Arpo & Heliövaara, Markku & Klaukka, Timo & Knekt, Paul & Maatela, Jouni & Lahelma, Eero
April 1999, Volume 48, Issue 7
- 871-879 Developing health insurance in transitional Asia
by Ensor, Tim
- 881-896 Social movements and health insurance: a critical evaluation of voluntary, non-profit insurance schemes with case studies from Ghana and Cameroon
by Atim, Chris
- 897-911 The Bwamanda hospital insurance scheme: effective for whom? A study of its impact on hospital utilization patterns
by Criel, Bart & Van der Stuyft, Patrick & Van Lerberghe, Wim
- 913-923 The social security scheme in Thailand: what lessons can be drawn?
by Tangcharoensathien, Viroj & Supachutikul, Anuwat & Lertiendumrong, Jongkol
- 925-938 The potential for social mobilisation in Bangladesh: the organisation and functioning of two health insurance schemes
by Desmet, M. & Chowdhury, A. Q. & Islam, Md. K.
- 939-950 NGOs in community health insurance schemes: examples from Guatemala and the Philippines
by Ron, Aviva
- 951-960 Rural health prepayment schemes in China: towards a more active role for government
by Bloom, Gerald & Shenglan, Tang
- 961-972 The reform of the rural cooperative medical system in the People's Republic of China: interim experience in 14 pilot counties
by Carrin, Guy & Ron, Aviva & Hui, Yang & Hong, Wang & Tuohong, Zhang & Licheng, Zhang & Shuo, Zhang & Yide, Ye & Jiaying, Chen & Qicheng, Jiang & Zhaoyang, Zhang & Jun, Yu & Xuesheng, Li
March 1999, Volume 48, Issue 6
- 711-718 Issues in promoting health
by Mechanic, David
- 719-731 Crime: social disorganization and relative deprivation
by Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P. & Wilkinson, Richard G.
- 733-744 Aggregation and the measurement of income inequality: effects on morbidity
by Soobader, Mah-Jabeen & LeClere, Felicia B.
- 745-755 Gender matters: an integrated model for understanding men's and women's health
by Bird, Chloe E. & Rieker, Patricia P.
- 759-775 The relationship between tobacco access and use among adolescents: a four community study
by Altman, David G. & Wheelis, Anne Y. & McFarlane, Mary & Lee, Hye-Ryeon & Fortmann, Stephen P.
- 777-786 Drug policy in China: pharmaceutical distribution in rural areas
by Dong, Hengjin & Bogg, Lennart & Rehnberg, Clas & Diwan, Vinod
- 787-796 Marital food interaction and dietary behavior
by Schafer, Robert B. & Schafer, Elisabeth & Dunbar, Martin & Keith, Patricia M.
- 797-813 Prioritising family health needs: a time-space analysis of women's health-related behaviours
by Young, Ruth
- 815-832 Effectiveness of community-directed diabetes prevention and control in a rural Aboriginal population in British Columbia, Canada
by Daniel, Mark & Green, Lawrence W. & Marion, Stephen A. & Gamble, Diane & Herbert, Carol P. & Hertzman, Clyde & Sheps, Sam B.
- 833-843 Addressing birth in Gaza: using qualitative methods to improve vital registration
by Lewando-Hundt, G. & Abed, Y. & Skeik, M. & Beckerleg, S. & El Alem, A.
- 845-853 Improving drug use: a case study of events which led to changes in use of flucloxacillin in Australia
by Roughead, Elizabeth E. & Gilbert, Andrew L. & Primrose, John G.
March 1999, Volume 48, Issue 5
- 575-589 Psychological aspects of in vitro fertilization: a review
by Eugster, A. & Vingerhoets, A. J. J. M.
- 591-605 Structuring the meaning of hope in health and illness
by Nekolaichuk, Cheryl L. & Jevne, Ronna F. & Maguire, Thomas O.
- 607-618 Local knowledge and treatment of malaria in Agusan del Sur, The Philippines
by Miguel, Cynthia A. & Tallo, Veronica L. & Manderson, Lenore & Lansang, Mary Ann
- 619-631 Learning from unreliability: the importance of inconsistency in coping dynamics
by Schwartz, Carolyn E. & Daltroy, Lawren H.
- 633-646 Hierarchies and cliques in the social networks of health care professionals: implications for the design of dissemination strategies
by West, Elizabeth & Barron, David N. & Dowsett, Juliet & Newton, John N.
- 647-660 Value added to health by pharmacists
by Indritz, Mary E. S. & Artz, Margaret B.
- 661-673 Social relations: network, support and relational strain
by Due, Pernille & Holstein, Bjørn & Lund, Rikke & Modvig, Jens & Avlund, Kirsten
- 675-682 Short stature and the age of enrolment in Primary School: studies in two African countries
by The Partnership for Child Development
- 683-692 Reducing coronary heart disease in the Australian Coalfields: evaluation of a 10-year community intervention
by Higginbotham, Nick & Heading, Gaynor & McElduff, Patrick & Dobson, Annette & Heller, Richard
- 693-705 Income and health: what is the nature of the relationship?
by Ecob, Russell & Davey Smith, George
February 1999, Volume 48, Issue 4
- 427-443 The influence of personal care and assistive devices on the measurement of disability
by Agree, Emily M.
- 445-469 Risk factors for functional status decline in community-living elderly people: a systematic literature review
by Stuck, Andreas E. & Walthert, Jutta M. & Nikolaus, Thorsten & Büla, Christophe J. & Hohmann, Christoph & Beck, John C.
- 473-487 Selecting national items for the WHOQOL: conceptual and psychometric considerations
by Skevington, S. M. & Bradshaw, J. & Saxena, S.
- 489-495 Patterns of health seeking behavior during episodes of childhood diarrhea: a study of Tzotzil-speaking Mayans in the highlands of Chiapas, Mexico
by Granich, Reuben & Cantwell, Michael F. & Long, Kurt & Maldonado, Yvonne & Parsonnet, Julie
- 497-505 Smoking and deprivation: are there neighbourhood effects?
by Duncan, Craig & Jones, Kelvyn & Moon, Graham
- 507-521 Epidemics and public health in early colonial Somaliland
by Mohamed, Jama
- 523-534 Medical knowledge and the intractable patient: the case of chronic low back pain
by May, Carl & Doyle, Helen & Chew-Graham, Carolyn
- 535-546 Using conjoint analysis to take account of patient preferences and go beyond health outcomes: an application to in vitro fertilisation
by Ryan, Mandy
- 547-557 HMO physicians' use of referrals
by Bachman, Keith H. & K. Freeborn, Donald
- 559-568 Personal values of male and female doctors: gender aspects
by Neittaanmäki, Liisa & Gross, Edith B. & Virjo, Irma & Hyppölä, Harri & Kumpusalo, Esko
February 1999, Volume 48, Issue 3
- 283-292 Gender, sexuality, and the prevention of sexually transmissible diseases: a Brazilian study of clinical practice
by Giffin, Karen & Lowndes, Catherine M.
- 293-300 The social impact of HIV testing: a comparative analysis of Britain and Sweden
by Danziger, Renée
- 301-312 Birth intervals, breastfeeding and determinants of childhood mortality in Malawi
by Manda, Samuel O. M.
- 313-320 Postpartum health in a Dhaka slum
by Uzma, Amatul & Underwood, Peter & Atkinson, David & Thackrah, Rose
- 321-329 Accidents to preschool children: comparing family and neighbourhood risk factors
by Reading, Richard & Langford, Ian H. & Haynes, Robin & Lovett, Andrew
- 331-341 Costs of formal care for frail older people in England:: the resource implications study of the MRC cognitive function and ageing study (RIS MRC CFAS)
by McNamee, Paul & Gregson, Barbara A. & Buck, Debbie & Bamford, Claire H. & Bond, John & Wright, Ken
- 343-351 The medical profession and alternative medicine in the Netherlands: its history and recent developments
by Schepers, R. M. J. & Hermans, H. E. G. M.
- 353-361 Procedures and the professional: the case of the British NHS
by Lawton, Rebecca & Parker, Dianne
- 363-374 Complaints against nurses: a reflection of 'the new managerialism' and consumerism in health care?
by Beardwood, Barbara & Walters, Vivienne & Eyles, John & French, Susan
- 375-391 Smoking-attributable medical care costs in the USA
by Miller, Vincent P. & Ernst, Carla & Collin, François
- 393-405 Medicine, economics and agenda-setting
by Lewis, Jenny M. & Considine, Mark
- 407-420 Dentistry and medical dominance
by Adams, Tracey
January 1999, Volume 48, Issue 2
- 139-148 An evaluation of the informed consent procedure used during a trial of a Haemophilus influenzae type B conjugate vaccine undertaken in The Gambia, West Africa
by Leach, A. & Hilton, S. & Greenwood, B. M. & Manneh, E. & Dibba, B. & Wilkins, A. & Mulholland, E. K.
- 149-162 Women's strategies to alleviate nutritional stress in a rural African society
by Bentley, Gillian R. & Aunger, Robert & Harrigan, Alisa M. & Jenike, Mark & Bailey, Robert C. & Ellison, Peter T.
- 163-172 Ngaka ya setswana, ngaka ya sekgoa or both? Health seeking behaviour in Batswana with pulmonary tuberculosis
by Steen, T. W. & Mazonde, G. N.
- 173-184 Ethnicity, alcohol, and acculturation
by Gutmann, M. C.
- 185-196 Holocaust survivors' perspectives on the euthanasia debate
by Leichtentritt, Ronit D. & Rettig, Kathryn D. & Miles, Steven H.
- 197-212 Risk adjustment and hospital cost-based resource allocation, with an application to El Salvador
by Fiedler, John L. & Wight, Jonathan B. & Schmidt, Robert M.
- 213-225 Obstacles on the path to a primary-care led National Health Service: complexities of outpatient care
by Somerset, Maggie & Faulkner, Alex & Shaw, Alison & Dunn, Liz & Sharp, Deborah J.
- 227-239 Health promotion versus disease and care: failure to establish "blissful clarity" in British nurse education and practice
by Smith, P. & Masterson, A. & Smith, S. Lloyd
- 241-251 Re-forming medical delivery systems: economic organization and dynamics of regional planning and managed competition
by Perkins, Barbara Bridgman
- 253-265 No fathers' names: a risk factor for infant mortality in the State of Georgia, USA
by Gaudino, James A. & Jenkins, Bill & Rochat, Roger W.
- 267-276 Age-related preferences and age weighting health benefits
by Tsuchiya, Aki
January 1999, Volume 48, Issue 1
- 1-5 Relocating gender and morbidity: examining men's and women's health in contemporary Western societies. Introduction to Special Issue on Gender and Health
by Hunt, Kate & Annandale, Ellen
- 7-19 Gender differences in illhealth in Finland: patterns, magnitude and change
by Lahelma, Eero & Martikainen, Pekka & Rahkonen, Ossi & Silventoinen, Karri
- 21-32 Women's status and the health of women and men: a view from the States
by Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P. & Gupta, Vanita & Prothrow-Stith, Deborah
- 33-48 Problematizing gender, work and health: the relationship between gender, occupational grade, working conditions and minor morbidity in full-time bank employees
by Emslie, Carol & Hunt, Kate & Macintyre, Sally
- 49-60 Social inequalities in health: are there gender differences?
by Matthews, Sharon & Manor, Orly & Power, Chris
- 61-76 Gender differences in health in later life: the new paradox?
by Arber, Sara & Cooper, Helen
- 77-87 Gender, social relations and mental health: prospective findings from an occupational cohort (Whitehall II study)
by Fuhrer, R. & Stansfeld, S. A. & Chemali, J. & Shipley, M. J.
- 89-98 Do women 'over-report' morbidity? Men's and women's responses to structured prompting on a standard question on long standing illness
by Macintyre, Sally & Ford, Graeme & Hunt, Kate
- 99-115 Social position, social roles and women's health in England: changing relationships 1984-1993
by Bartley, M. & Sacker, A. & Firth, D. & Fitzpatrick, R.
- 117-127 Making use of official statistics in research on gender and health status: recent British data
by Dunnell, Karen & Fitzpatrick, Justine & Bunting, Julia
December 1998, Volume 47, Issue 12
- 1905-1924 Review of nursing turnover research, 1977-1996
by Tai, Teresa Wai Chi & Bame, Sherry I. & Robinson, Chester D.
- 1925-1936 Outcomes and effectiveness in reproductive health
by Graham, Wendy J.
- 1937-1946 Compulsory medical service in Ecuador: the physician's perspective
by Cavender, Anthony & Albán, Manuel
- 1947-1956 When acculturation hurts: the case of immunization
by Prislin, Radmila & Suarez, Lucina & Simspon, Diane M. & Dyer, James A.
- 1957-1971 Trends in health services utilization in eight provinces in China, 1989-1993
by Henderson, G. E. & Akin, J. S. & Hutchinson, P. M. & Jin, S. G. & Wang, J. M. & Dietrich, J. & Mao, L. M.
- 1973-1980 The development of a dementia process within the family context: the case of Alice
by Vernooij-Dassen, Myrra & Wester, Fred & Auf den Kamp, Marcel & Huygen, Frans
- 1981-1992 Sexual networks: the integration of social and genetic data
by Day, S. & Ward, H. & Ison, C. & Bell, G. & Weber, J.
- 1993-2011 In the company of friends: Peer influence on Thai male extramarital sex
by Vanlandingham, Mark & Knodel, John & Saengtienchai, Chanpen & Pramualratana, Anthony
- 2013-2023 The meaning of playing-related musculoskeletal disorders to classical musicians
by Zaza, Christine & Charles, Cathy & Muszynski, Alicja
- 2025-2042 Diagnosing moral disorder: the discovery and evolution of fetal alcohol syndrome
by Armstrong, Elizabeth M.
- 2043-2053 Social class, assets, organizational control and the prevalence of common groups of psychiatric disorders
by Muntaner, C. & Eaton, W. W. & Diala, C. & Kessler, R. C. & Sorlie, P. D.
- 2055-2066 Mortality variations in England and Wales between types of place: an analysis of the ONS longitudinal study
by Ecob, Russell & Jones, Kelvyn
- 2067-2074 Linking measures of health gain to explicit priority setting by an Area Health Service in Australia
by Cromwell, David A. & Viney, Rosalie & Halsall, John & Hindle, Don
- 2075-2085 Beliefs related to breast health practices: the perceptions of South Asian women living in Canada
by Bottorff, Joan L. & Johnson, Joy L. & Bhagat, Radhika & Grewal, Sukhdev & Balneaves, Lynda G. & Clarke, Heather & Hilton, B. Ann
- 2087-2099 Health and access to care: Perspectives of homeless youth in Baltimore City, U.S.A
by Ensign, Jo & Gittelsohn, Joel
- 2101-2111 Careseeking for illness in young infants in an urban slum in India
by de Zoysa, Isabelle & Bhandari, Nita & Akhtari, Naseema & Bhan, Maharaj K.
- 2113-2125 Stories of meaning: lay perspectives on the origin and management of noninsulin dependent diabetes mellitus among older women in the United States
by Schoenberg, Nancy E. & Amey, Cheryl H. & Coward, Raymond T.
- 2127-2137 Radio and the commodification of natural medicine in Ecuador
by Miles, Ann
December 1998, Volume 47, Issue 11
- 1639-1651 Screening and counselling for sickle cell disorders and thalassaemia: The experience of parents and health professionals
by Atkin, Karl & Ahmad, Waqar I. U. & Anionwu, Elizabeth N.
- 1653-1658 Revealed identity: a study of the process of genetic counselling
by Armstrong, David & Michie, Susan & Marteau, Theresa
- 1659-1663 Effect of social class on tumour size at diagnosis and surgical treatment in Danish women with breast cancer
by Norredam, Marie & Groenvold, Mogens & Petersen, Jorgen Holm & Krasnik, Allan
- 1665-1676 Educational differences in leisure-time physical inactivity: a descriptive and explanatory study
by Droomers, M. & Schrijvers, C. T. M. & van de Mheen, H. & Mackenbach, J. P.
- 1677-1686 Suicide in urban New South Wales, Australia 1985-1994: socio-economic and migrant interactions
by Taylor, Richard & Morrell, Stephen & Slaytor, Emma & Ford, Paul
- 1687-1694 Hearts and minds: suicide among United States combat troops in Vietnam, 1957-1973
by Adams, David P. & Barton, Cole & Mitchell, G. Lynn & Moore, Alan L. & Einagel, Victor
- 1695-1698 Increasing homicide rate in Finland accompanied by decreasing seasonality over the period 1957-95
by Hakko, Helinä & Räsänen, Pirkko & Tiihonen, Jari
- 1699-1713 Political repression and its psychological effects on Honduran children
by Munczek, Débora S. & Tuber, Steven
- 1715-1727 Using metaphor to read the organisation of the NHS
by Elkind, Andrea
- 1729-1738 Achieving clinical behaviour change: a case of becoming indeterminate
by Wood, Martin & Ferlie, Ewan & Fitzgerald, Louise
- 1739-1748 The evolution of professional identity: the case of osteopathic medicine
by Miller, Katherine
- 1749-1762 Promoting health, promoting women: the construction of female and professional identities in the discourse of community health workers
by Ramirez-Valles, Jesus
- 1763-1772 Psychosocial stressors and well-being in health care workers. The impact of an intervention program
by Petterson, Inga-Lill & Arnetz, Bengt B.
- 1773-1780 Gender differences in accessing cardiac surgery across England: a cross-sectional analysis of the Health Survey for England
by Dong, Wei & Ben-Shlomo, Yoav & Colhoun, Helen & Chaturvedi, Nish
- 1781-1795 Why do nurses abuse patients? Reflections from South African obstetric services
by Jewkes, Rachel & Abrahams, Naeemah & Mvo, Zodumo
- 1797-1808 Describing the "white" ethnic group and its composition in medical research
by Aspinall, Peter J.
- 1809-1824 Putting risk in its place: methodological considerations for investigating extreme event health risk
by Smoyer, Karen E.
- 1825-1840 Informed consent for clinical trials: in search of the "best" method
by Edwards, Sarah J. L. & Lilford, Richard J. & Thornton, Jim & Hewison, Jenny
- 1841-1854 Infant mortality: A multi-level analysis of individual and community risk factors
by Matteson, Donald W. & Burr, Jeffrey A. & Marshall, James R.
- 1855-1858 Age patterns of smoking initiation among Kuwait University male students
by Sugathan, T. N. & Moody, Philip M. & Bustan, Mahmood A. & Elgerges, Najwa S.
- 1859-1871 Medicinal plants in Mexico: healers' consensus and cultural importance
by Heinrich, Michael & Ankli, Anita & Frei, Barbara & Weimann, Claudia & Sticher, Otto
- 1873-1876 Physician assessments of patient compliance with medical treatment
by Goldberg, Albert I. & Cohen, Gilat & Rubin, Ami-Hai E.
- 1877-1880 Dental students' attitude to gender roles
by Rosenberg, Howard M. & Cucchiara, Andrew J. & Helpin, Mark L.
November 1998, Volume 47, Issue 10
- 1399-1405 Explanations of social class differences in alcoholism among young men
by Hemmingsson, Tomas & Lundberg, Ingvar & Diderichsen, Finn & Allebeck, Peter
- 1407-1418 Health related behavioural change in context: young people in transition
by Pavis, Stephen & Cunningham-Burley, Sarah & Amos, Amanda
- 1419-1430 Critical reflections on the politics of need: implications for public health
by Robertson, Ann
- 1431-1443 Sexual behaviour and risk assessment of HIV seroconvertors among urban male factory workers in Zimbabwe
by Ray, Sunanda & Latif, Ahmed & Machekano, Roderick & Katzenstein, David
- 1445-1453 The learning curve: Health education in STI clinics in South Africa
by Reddy, Priscilla & Meyer-Weitz, Anna & van den Borne, Bart & Kok, Gerjo & Weijts, Wies
- 1455-1462 Injections and self-help: risk and trust in Ugandan health care
by Birungi, Harriet
- 1463-1472 Perception of the social support role of the extended family network by some Nigerians with schizophrenia and affective disorders
by Ohaeri, Jude U.
- 1473-1484 Family responses to HIV/AIDS in Mexico
by Castro, Roberto & Orozco, Emanuel & Aggleton, Peter & Eroza, Enrique & Hernández, Juan Jacobo
- 1485-1494 Liminality: a major category of the experience of cancer illness
by Little, Miles & Jordens, Christopher FC & Paul, Kim & Montgomery, Kathleen & Philipson, Bertil
- 1495-1501 The holistic health movement in the San Francisco Bay Area: Some preliminary observations
by Baer, Hans A. & Hays, John & McClendon, Nicole & McGoldrick, Neil & Vespucci, Raffella
- 1503-1512 Stress and low birth weight: A structural modeling approach using real life stressors
by Sheehan, T. Joseph
- 1513-1527 Analyzing the decentralization of health systems in developing countries: decision space, innovation and performance
by Bossert, Thomas
- 1529-1538 Towards equity in health in an unequal society
by Bloom, Gerald & McIntyre, Diane
- 1539-1545 From practice to research: The case for criticism in an age of evidence
by Berkwits, Michael
- 1547-1554 Risk and the general practitioner budget holder
by Martin, Stephen & Rice, Nigel & Smith, Peter C.
- 1555-1564 The ethics of resource allocation: the views of general practitioners in Lincolnshire, U.K
by Baines, Darrin L. & Tolley, Keith H. & Whynes, David K.
- 1565-1572 A holistic approach to the economic evaluation of health programs using institutionalist methodology
by Jan, Stephen
- 1573-1588 A systematic review of the literature on patient priorities for general practice care. Part 1: Description of the research domain
by Wensing, Michel & Jung, Hans Peter & Mainz, Jan & Olesen, Frede & Grol, Richard
- 1589-1599 The effects of political and economic transitions on health and safety in Estonia: An Estonian-Swedish comparative study
by Kaasik, Taie & Andersson, Ragnar & Hörte, Lars-Gunnar
- 1601-1609 A revised measure of symptom-specific health care use
by Baker, David W. & Shapiro, Martin F. & Schur, Claudia L. & Freeman, Howard
- 1611-1617 The correspondence of patient satisfaction and nurse burnout
by Leiter, Michael P. & Harvie, Phyllis & Frizzell, Cindy
- 1619-1625 Ethics of resource allocation in developing countries: The case of Sri Lanka
by Jayasinghe, K. S. A. & De Silva, D. & Mendis, N. & Lie, R. K.
November 1998, Volume 47, Issue 9
- 1135-1145 Assignments of meaning in epidemiology
by Little, Miles
- 1147-1153 "Death by proxy": Ethics and classification in epidemiology
by Plant, Aileen J. & Rushworth, R. Louise
- 1155-1159 Is imposing risk awareness cultural imperialism?
by FØrde, Olav Helge
- 1161-1169 The ethics of attribution: The case of health care outcome indicators
by Russell, Elizabeth
- 1171-1180 "Communitarian claims" as an ethical basis for allocating health care resources
by Mooney, Gavin
- 1181-1188 Social capital and health: Implications for public health and epidemiology
by Lomas, Jonathan
- 1189-1195 Ethics, epidemiology and the thrifty gene: biological determinism as a health hazard
by McDermott, Robyn
- 1197-1208 A tale of two (low prevalence) cities: social movement organisations and the local policy response to HIV/AIDS
by Petchey, Roland & Williams, Jacky & Farnsworth, Bill & Starkey, Ken
- 1209-1222 Inequalities in the transition of ischaemic heart disease mortality in New South Wales, Australia, 1969-1994
by Burnley, I. H.
- 1223-1230 Towards quality of care in child health programmes: a challenge for the partnership in health and social sciences
by Kanani, Shubhada
- 1231-1246 Childhood conditions that predict survival to advanced ages among African-Americans
by Preston, Samuel H. & Hill, Mark E. & Drevenstedt, Greg L.
- 1247-1261 Higher earnings, bursting trains and exhausted bodies: the creation of travelling psychosis in post-reform China
by Lee, Sing
- 1263-1266 Mexican use of lead in the treatment of empacho: Community, clinic, and longitudinal patterns
by Baer, Roberta D. & Garcia De Alba, Javier & Mares Leal, Rosa & Plascencia Campos, Ana Rosa & Goslin, Neill
- 1267-1276 Doctor talk and diabetes: towards an analysis of the clinical construction of chronic illness
by Loewe, Ronald & Schwartzman, John & Freeman, Joshua & Quinn, Laurie & Zuckerman, Steve
- 1277-1288 Social class and health: The puzzling counter-example of British South Asians
by Williams, Rory & Wright, William & Hunt, Kate
- 1289-1294 Cancer truth disclosure by Lebanese doctors
by Hamadeh, Ghassan N. & Adib, Salim M.
- 1295-1306 Probabilities and health risks: a qualitative approach
by Heyman, Bob & Henriksen, Mette & Maughan, Karen
- 1307-1312 The sick building syndrome: a diagnostic dilemma
by Thörn, Åke
- 1313-1323 The meaning and management of neuroleptic medication: a study of patients with a diagnosis of schizophrenia
by Rogers, Anne & Day, Jennifer C. & Williams, Brian & Randall, Fiona & Wood, Pamela & Healy, David & Bentall, Richard P.
- 1325-1329 Accidents, assaults, and marital status
by Cheung, Yin-Bun
- 1331-1339 Class differences in the food rules mothers impose on their children: a cross-national study
by Hupkens, Christianne L. H. & Knibbe, Ronald A. & van Otterloo, Anneke H. & Drop, Maria J.
- 1341-1349 From reviving the living to raising the dead; the making of cardiac resuscitation
by Bains, Jatinder
- 1351-1359 The meaning of patient satisfaction: An explanation of high reported levels
by Williams, Brian & Coyle, Joanne & Healy, David
- 1361-1371 Spousal caregivers' activity restriction and depression: A model for changes over time
by Nieboer, A. P. & Schulz, R. & Matthews, K. A. & Scheier, M. F. & Ormel, J. & Lindenberg, S. M.
- 1373-1381 The fake patient: A research experiment in a Ghanaian hospital
by van der Geest, Sjaak & Sarkodie, Samuel
- 1383-1387 Becoming a doctor -- Was it the wrong career choice?
by Hyppölä, Harri & Kumpusalo, Esko & Neittaanmäki, Liisa & Mattila, Kari & Virjo, Irma & Kujala, Santero & Luhtala, Riitta & Halila, Hannu & Isokoski, Mauri
October 1998, Volume 47, Issue 8
- 993-1004 Hungry earth and vengeful stars: soul loss and identity in the Peruvian Andes
by Greenway, Christine
- 1005-1015 Environment, vulnerability, and gender in Andean ethnomedicine
by Larme, Anne C.
- 1017-1030 Assessing variation in health status in the Andes: a biocultural model
by Oths, Kathryn S.
- 1031-1041 Changing biocultural perspectives on health in the Andes
by Leatherman, Thomas
- 1043-1049 Medical, law, and business students' perceptions of the changing health care system
by Wilkes, Michael & Coulter, Ian & Hurwitz, Eric
- 1051-1066 A novel method for studying population health impacts of spatiotemporal ozone distribution
by Christakos, George & Vyas, Vikram M.
- 1067-1076 A ship upon a stormy sea: The medicalization of pregnancy
by Barker, K. K.
- 1077-1087 Which aspects of general practitioners' behaviour determine patients' evaluations of care?
by Jung, H. P. & Van Horne, F. & Wensing, M. & Hearnshaw, H. & Grol, R.
- 1089-1099 Buying safety: The economics of reproductive risk and abortion in Egypt
by Lane, Sandra D. & Madut Jok, Jok & El-Mouelhy, Mawaheb T.
- 1101-1111 Women's health care work in comparative perspective: Canada, Sweden and Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic as case examples
by Benoit, Cecilia & Heitlinger, Alena
- 1113-1120 The relationship of community quality to the health of women and men
by Molinari, Carol & Ahern, Melissa & Hendryx, Michael
- 1121-1130 Social mobility and 21Â year mortality in a cohort of Scottish men
by Hart, Carole L. & Davey Smith, George & Blane, David
October 1998, Volume 47, Issue 7
- 841-852 Stigma associated with onchocercal skin disease among those affected near the Ofiki and Oyan rivers in Western Nigeria
by Brieger, William R. & Oshiname, Frederick O. & Ososanya, Oladele O.
- 853-863 A conceptual model of the food and nutrition system
by Sobal, Jeffery & Kettel Khan, Laura & Bisogni, Carole
- 865-875 Reframing the meaning of disability to families: the embrace of paradox
by Larson, Elizabeth
- 877-889 R. D. Laing and the British anti-psychiatry movement: a socio-historical analysis
by Crossley, Nick