Gender-based violence and socioeconomic inequalities: Does living in more deprived neighbourhoods increase women’s risk of intimate partner violence?
This study investigates the influence of neighbourhood socioeconomic conditions on women’s likelihood of experiencing intimate partner violence (IPV) in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Volume (Year): 74 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jewkes, Rachel & Levin, Jonathan & Penn-Kekana, Loveday, 2002. "Risk factors for domestic violence: findings from a South African cross-sectional study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 55(9), pages 1603-1617, November.
- Duncan, Craig & Jones, Kelvyn & Moon, Graham, 1998. "Context, composition and heterogeneity: Using multilevel models in health research," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 97-117, January.
- Ludermir, Ana Bernarda & Schraiber, Lilia B. & D'Oliveira, Ana F.P.L. & França-Junior, Ivan & Jansen, Henrica A., 2008. "Violence against women by their intimate partner and common mental disorders," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 1008-1018, February.
- Pallitto, Christina C. & O'Campo, Patricia, 2005. "Community level effects of gender inequality on intimate partner violence and unintended pregnancy in Colombia: testing the feminist perspective," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(10), pages 2205-2216, May.
- Devries, Karen & Watts, Charlotte & Yoshihama, Mieko & Kiss, Ligia & Schraiber, Lilia Blima & Deyessa, Negussie & Heise, Lori & Durand, Julia & Mbwambo, Jessie & Jansen, Henrica & Berhane, Yemane & El, 2011. "Violence against women is strongly associated with suicide attempts: Evidence from the WHO multi-country study on women's health and domestic violence against women," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 79-86, July.
- Sunita Kishor & Kiersten Johnson, 2006. "Reproductive health and domestic violence: Are the poorest women uniquely disadvantaged?," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 43(2), pages 293-307, May.
- Michael Koenig & Saifuddin Ahmed & Mian Hossain & A. Mozumder, 2003. "Women’s status and domestic violence in rural Bangladesh: Individual- and community-level effects," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 40(2), pages 269-288, May.
- Courtenay, Will H., 2000. "Constructions of masculinity and their influence on men's well-being: a theory of gender and health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 50(10), pages 1385-1401, May.
- Adda, Jerome & Chandola, Tarani & Marmot, Michael, 2003. "Socio-economic status and health: causality and pathways," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 57-63, January.
- Catherine Ross & John Mirowsky, 1999. "Refining the association between education and health: The effects of quantity, credential, and selectivity," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 36(4), pages 445-460, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:74:y:2012:i:8:p:1172-1179. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.