Social Science & Medicine
September 1999, Volume 49, Issue 6
- 791-799 The effect on morbidity of variability in deprivation and population stability in England and Wales: an investigation at small-area level
by Boyle, Paul J. & Gatrell, Anthony C. & Duke-Williams, Oliver
- 801-814 Sexuality education in Russia: defining pleasure and danger for a fledgling democratic society
by Rivkin-Fish, Michele
- 815-822 Different tuberculosis in men and women: beliefs from focus groups in Vietnam
by Long, Nguyen Hoang & Johansson, Eva & Diwan, Vinod K. & Winkvist, Anna
- 823-830 What price information? Modelling threshold probabilities of fetal loss
by Cairns, John & Shackley, Phil
- 831-845 Understanding social variation in cardiovascular risk factors in women and men: the advantage of theoretically based measures
by Bartley, M. & Sacker, A. & Firth, D. & Fitzpatrick, R.
September 1999, Volume 49, Issue 5
- 567-580 Two good reasons: women's and men's perspectives on dual contraceptive use
by Woodsong, Cynthia & Koo, Helen P.
- 581-600 Policy and politics of smoking control in Japan
by Sato, Hajime
- 601-609 Knowledge, beliefs and practices relevant for malaria control in an endemic urban area of the Colombian Pacific
by Nieto, Tatiana & Méndez, Fabian & Carrasquilla, Gabriel
- 611-619 Health behaviour and the school environment in New South Wales, Australia
by McLellan, Lyndall & Rissel, Chris & Donnelly, Neil & Bauman, Adrian
- 621-636 Age differences in the effects of network composition on psychological distress
by Peek, M. Kristen & Lin, Nan
- 637-649 The quest of infertile women in squatter settlements of Karachi, Pakistan: a qualitative study
by Bhatti, Lubna Ishaq & Fikree, Fariyal F. & Khan, Amanullah
- 651-661 Decision-making in the physician-patient encounter: revisiting the shared treatment decision-making model
by Charles, Cathy & Gafni, Amiram & Whelan, Tim
- 663-678 Evaluating health service equity at a primary care clinic in Chilimarca, Bolivia
by Kinman, Edward L.
- 679-689 National health care 'by-passing' in Bangladesh: a comparative study
by Paul, Bimal Kanti
- 691-704 Revisiting medicalisation and 'natural' death
by Seymour, Jane Elizabeth
August 1999, Volume 49, Issue 4
- 437-447 When is a shared decision not (quite) a shared decision? Negotiating preferences in a general practice encounter
by Gwyn, Richard & Elwyn, Glyn
- 449-457 Patient assertiveness and physician decision-making among older breast cancer patients
by Krupat, Edward & Irish, Julie T. & Kasten, Linda E. & Freund, Karen M. & Burns, Risa B. & Moskowitz, Mark A. & McKinlay, John B.
- 459-467 Prescribing benzodiazepines--a critical incident study of a physician dilemma
by Bendtsen, Preben & Hensing, Gunnel & McKenzie, Lotta & Stridsman, Anna-Karin
- 469-482 Women's control and choice regarding HRT
by Griffiths, Frances
- 483-497 Disputed diagnoses: the cases of RSI and childhood cancer
by Arksey, Hilary & Sloper, Patricia
- 499-507 Determinants of socioeconomic differences in change in physical and mental functioning
by Martikainen, Pekka & Stansfeld, Stephen & Hemingway, Harry & Marmot, Michael
- 509-518 The influence of adult ill health on occupational class mobility and mobility out of and into employment in The Netherlands
by van de Mheen, H. & Stronks, K. & Schrijvers, C. T. M. & Mackenbach, J. P.
- 519-530 Diarrheal disease risk in Matlab, Bangladesh
by Emch, Michael
- 531-541 Defecation practices of young children in a Peruvian shanty town
by Yeager, Beth A. C. & Huttly, Sharon R. A. & Bartolini, Rosario & Martha Rojas & Lanata, Claudio F.
- 543-550 Modernization of medical care in Korea (1876-1990)
by Son, Annette H. K.
- 551-563 Valuing the benefits of publicly-provided health care: does 'ability to pay' preclude the use of 'willingness to pay'?
by Donaldson, Cam
August 1999, Volume 49, Issue 3
- 297-302 Survival vs. quality of life: a study of the Israeli public priorities in medical care
by Shmueli, Amir
- 303-311 Stability of elderly persons' expressed preferences regarding the use of life-sustaining treatments
by Carmel, Sara & Mutran, Elizabeth J.
- 313-328 Attitudes towards informed consent, confidentiality, and substitute treatment decisions in southern African medical students: a case study from Zimbabwe
by Hipshman, Lawrence
- 329-342 Ethics education and physician morality
by Gross, Michael L.
- 343-358 Balancing effectiveness, side-effects and work: women's perceptions and experiences with modern contraceptive technology in Cambodia
by Sadana, Ritu & Snow, Rachel
- 359-369 'Because of the risks': how US pregnant women account for refusing prenatal screening
by Markens, Susan & Browner, C. H. & Press, Nancy
- 371-382 Obligatory medical insurance in Russia: the participants' perspective
by Twigg, Judyth L.
- 383-392 A case-control study of employment status and mortality in a cohort of Australian youth
by Morrell, Stephen & Taylor, Richard & Quine, Susan & Kerr, Charles & Western, John
- 393-404 Encompassing treatment with prevention: the path for a lasting control of tuberculosis
by Jaramillo, Ernesto
- 405-424 Resource dependency, doctors and the state: quality control in Sweden
by Garpenby, Peter
- 425-433 Effects of distances to hospital and GP surgery on hospital inpatient episodes, controlling for needs and provision
by Haynes, Robin & Bentham, Graham & Lovett, Andrew & Gale, Susan
July 1999, Volume 49, Issue 2
- 155-171 Planning reproductive health in conflict: a conceptual framework
by Busza, Joanna & Lush, Louisiana
- 173-184 Lifeboat versus corporate ethic: social and demographic implications of stem and joint families
by Das Gupta, Monica
- 185-196 Planned orphanhood
by Landau, Ruth
- 197-214 Maternal mortality, women's status, and economic dependency in less developed countries: a cross-national analysis
by Shen, Ce & Williamson, John B.
- 215-222 Rationality in medical treatment decisions: is there a sunk-cost effect?
by Bornstein, Brian H. & Christine Emler, A. & Chapman, Gretchen B.
- 223-240 National health policies: sub-Saharan African case studies (1980-1990)
by Dugbatey, Kwesi
- 241-251 HIV-related sexual risk assessment among Asian/Pacific Islander American Women: an inductive model
by Chin, Dorothy
- 253-266 Occupational class and the probability of long-term limiting illness
by Borooah, Vani K.
- 267-278 Goal-setting in clinical medicine
by Bradley, Elizabeth H. & BogardusJr., Sidney T. & Tinetti, Mary E. & Inouye, Sharon K.
- 279-289 Pharmacy and herbal medicine in the US
by Bouldin, Alicia S. & Smith, Mickey C. & Garner, Dewey D. & Szeinbach, Sheryl L. & Frate, Dennis A. & Croom, Edward M.
July 1999, Volume 49, Issue 1
- 1-16 Effect of price and access on contraceptive use
by Levin, Ann & Caldwell, Bruce & Khuda, Barkat-e
- 17-26 Production gains from health care: what should be included in cost-effectiveness analyses?
by Olsen, Jan Abel & Richardson, Jeff
- 27-38 The referral process and urban health care in sub-Saharan Africa: the case of Lusaka, Zambia
by Atkinson, Sarah & Ngwengwe, Alasford & Macwan'gi, Mubiana & Ngulube, T. J. & Harpham, Trudy & O'Connell, Andrew
- 39-53 Power between evaluator and community: research relationships within New Mexico's healthier communities
by Wallerstein, Nina
- 55-66 Between intention and behavior: an application of community pharmacists' assessment of pharmaceutical care
by Farris, Karen B. & Schopflocher, Donald P.
- 67-80 Exploring the bio-psycho-social approach to premenstrual experiences
by Anson, Ofra
- 81-91 Urban and rural suicide differentials in migrants and the Australian-born, New South Wales, Australia 1985-1994
by Morrell, Stephen & Taylor, Richard & Slaytor, Emma & Ford, Paul
- 93-108 Ecological pattern of first admitted schizophrenics in two German cities over 25 years
by Löffler, W. & Häfner, H.
- 109-120 The sense of coherence, occupation and the risk of coronary heart disease in the Helsinki Heart Study
by Poppius, Esko & Tenkanen, Leena & Kalimo, Raija & Heinsalmi, Pertti
- 121-131 Does employment improve the health of lone mothers?
by Baker, D. & North, K.
- 133-142 Social support at age 33: the influence of gender, employment status and social class
by Matthews, Sharon & Stansfeld, Stephen & Power, Chris
- 143-149 Morbidity and quality of life and the moderating effects of level of education in the elderly
by Kempen, Gertrudis I. J. M. & Brilman, Els I. & Ranchor, Adelita V. & Ormel, Johan
June 1999, Volume 48, Issue 12
- 1701-1711 Neighbourhood characteristics and use of benzodiazepines in The Netherlands
by Groenewegen, Peter P. & Leufkens, Hubert G. & Spreeuwenberg, Peter & Worm, Wilmar
- 1713-1720 Do risk factors and health behaviours contribute to self-ratings of health?
by Manderbacka, Kristiina & Lundberg, Olle & Martikainen, Pekka
- 1721-1734 Social support, social selection and self-assessed health status: results from the veterans health study in the United States
by Ren, Xinhua S. & Skinner, Katherine & Lee, Austin & Kazis, Lewis
- 1735-1742 The influence of the cardiac surgery patient's sex and age on care-giving received
by King, Kathryn M. & Koop, Priscilla M.
- 1743-1750 Disease activity and severity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: relations to socioeconomic inequality
by Brekke, Mette & Hjortdahl, Per & Thelle, Dag S. & Kvien, Tore K.
- 1751-1758 Social inequalities in male mortality amenable to medical intervention in British Columbia
by Wood, Evan & Sallar, Anthony M. & Schechter, Martin T. & Hogg, Robert S.
- 1759-1777 Explaining differential rates of mortality decline for Swedish men and women: a time-series analysis, 1945-1992
by Hemström, Örjan
- 1779-1789 Ethnicity and attitudes towards life sustaining technology
by Blackhall, Leslie J. & Frank, Gelya & Murphy, Sheila T. & Michel, Vicki & Palmer, Joycelynne M. & Azen, Stanley P.
- 1791-1802 The meanings of pain: an exploration of women's descriptions of symptoms
by Johansson, Eva E. & Hamberg, Katarina & Westman, Göran & Lindgren, Gerd
- 1803-1820 The health transition, global modernity and the crisis of traditional medicine: the Tibetan case
by Janes, Craig R.
- 1821-1832 The historical roots of high rates of infant death in Aboriginal communities in Canada in the early twentieth century: the case of Fisher River, Manitoba
by Moffat, Tina & Herring, Ann
- 1833-1850 Disease and immunity in the pre-Spanish Philippines
by Newson, Linda A.
- 1851-1856 The health impact of smoking in manual and non-manual social class men and women: a test of the Blaxter hypothesis
by Marang-van de Mheen, Perla J. & Davey Smith, George & Hart, Carole L.
- 1857-1860 Will genetic testing for predisposition for disease result in fatalism? A qualitative study of parents responses to neonatal screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia
by Senior, Victoria & Marteau, Theresa M. & Peters, Timothy J.
June 1999, Volume 48, Issue 11
- 1507-1515 Integrating response shift into health-related quality of life research: a theoretical model
by Sprangers, Mirjam A. G. & Schwartz, Carolyn E.
- 1517-1530 Social comparison as a mediator of response shift
by Gibbons, F. X.
- 1531-1548 Methodological approaches for assessing response shift in longitudinal health-related quality-of-life research
by Schwartz, Carolyn E. & Sprangers, Mirjam A. G.
- 1549-1561 Discrepancies between self-reported and observed physical function in the elderly: the influence of response shift and other factors
by Daltroy, Lawren H. & Larson, Martin G. & Eaton, Holley M. & Phillips, Charlotte B. & Liang, Matthew H.
- 1563-1575 Helping others helps oneself: response shift effects in peer support
by Schwartz, Carolyn E. & Sendor, Rabbi Meir
- 1577-1588 Clinical understanding and clinical implications of response shift
by B. Wilson, Ira
- 1589-1598 The role of the privatization process on tuberculosis control in HoChiMinh City Province, Vietnam
by Naterop, Eric & Wolffers, Ivan
- 1599-1611 Economic and health efficiency of education funding policy
by Curtin, T. R. C. & Nelson, E. A. S.
- 1613-1623 The impact of perinatal loss on adjustment to subsequent pregnancy
by Franche, Renée-Louise & Mikail, Samuel F.
- 1625-1639 Beyond the biomedical and behavioural: towards an integrated approach to HIV prevention in the Southern African mining industry
by Campbell, Catherine & Williams, Brian
- 1641-1654 Cognitive predictors of adherence to malaria prophylaxis regimens on return from a malarious region: a prospective study
by Abraham, Charles & Clift, Stephen & Grabowski, Peter
- 1655-1667 Harmonising and competing for medicines regulation: how healthy are the European Union's systems of drug approval?
by Abraham, John & Lewis, Graham
- 1669-1684 Preventive behavior among recent immigrants: Russian-speaking women and cancer screening in Israel
by Remennick, Larissa I.
- 1685-1695 Stories of illness and trauma survival: liberation or repression?
by Crossley, Michele L.
May 1999, Volume 48, Issue 10
- 1307-1319 Power, control and resistance in the timing of health and care
by Fox, Nick J
- 1321-1332 Spatiality, embodiment and hazards encountered in the making of pots
by Bellaby, Paul
- 1333-1340 Family structure and patient survival in an African-American end-stage renal disease population: a preliminary investigation
by Turner-Musa, Jocelyn & Leidner, David & Simmens, Samuel & Reiss, David & Kimmel, Paul L & Holder, Barbara
- 1341-1352 Information needs in terminal illness
by Kutner, Jean S & Steiner, John F & Corbett, Kitty K & Jahnigen, Dennis W & Barton, Phoebe L
- 1353-1362 Psychosocial problem disclosure by primary care patients
by Robinson, John W & Roter, Debra L
- 1363-1372 Gender, psychosocial factors and the use of medical services: a longitudinal analysis
by Green, Carla A & Pope, Clyde R
- 1373-1393 Psychosocial outcome assessments for use in cardiac rehabilitation service evaluation: a 10-year systematic review
by McGee, H.M. & Hevey, D. & Horgan, J.H.
- 1395-1405 Disability terminology in the media: a comparison of newspaper reports in Canada and Israel
by Auslander, Gail K & Gold, Nora
- 1407-1414 The `dop' system, alcohol abuse and social control amongst farm workers in South Africa: a public health challenge
by London, Leslie
- 1415-1432 The impact of market oriented reforms on choice and information: a case study of cataract surgery in outer London and Stockholm
by Fotaki, Marianna
- 1433-1440 Demographic and socio-economic determinants of community and hospital services costs for people with HIV/AIDS in London
by Kupek, Emil & Dooley, Mary & Whitaker, Luke & Petrou, Stavros & Renton, Adrian
- 1441-1448 Doing a shotgun: a drug use practice and its relationship to sexual behaviors and infection risk
by Perlman, David C & Henman, Anthony R & Kochems, Lee & Paone, Denise & Salomon, Nadim & Des Jarlais, Don C
- 1449-1462 A critique of seven assumptions behind psychological trauma programmes in war-affected areas
by Summerfield, Derek
- 1463-1474 `With the best of reasons': cervical cancer prevention policy and the suppression of sexual risk factor information
by Braun, Virginia & Gavey, Nicola
- 1475-1481 Political self-characterization of US women physicians
by Frank, Erica
- 1483-1490 Geographies of health perception in Québec: a multilevel perspective
by Pampalon, Robert & Duncan, Craig & Subramanian, S.V & Jones, Kelvyn
- 1491-1499 The persisting effect of unemployment on health and social well-being in men early in working life
by Wadsworth, M.E.J & Montgomery, S.M & Bartley, M.J
May 1999, Volume 48, Issue 9
- 1123-1133 ''You just look at our work and see if you have any freedom on earth'': Ghanaian women's accounts of their work and their health
by Avotri, Joyce Yaa & Walters, Vivienne
- 1135-1148 Antecedents and consequences of work-home interference among medical residents
by Geurts, Sabine & Rutte, Christel & Peeters, Maria
- 1149-1160 The incorporation of different demand concepts in the job demand-control model: effects on health care professionals
by de Jonge, Jan & Mulder, Marike J. G. P. & Nijhuis, Frans J. N.
- 1161-1172 The relationship of functional limitations to disability and the moderating effects of psychological attributes in community-dwelling older persons
by Kempen, Gertrudis I. J. M. & van Heuvelen, Marieke J. G. & van Sonderen, Eric & van den Brink, Rob H. S. & Kooijman, Aart C. & Ormel, Johan
- 1173-1187 Models of disablement, universalism and the international classification of impairments, disabilities and handicaps
by Bickenbach, Jerome E. & Chatterji, Somnath & Badley, E. M. & Üstün, T. B.
- 1189-1203 The power of the visible: the meaning of diagnostic tests in chronic back pain
by Rhodes, Lorna A. & McPhillips-Tangum, Carol A. & Markham, Christine & Klenk, Rebecca
- 1205-1220 A cost-effectiveness analysis of vaccination strategies against N. meningitidis meningitis in sub-Saharan African countries
by Bovier, Patrick A. & Wyss, Kaspar & J. Au, Heather
- 1221-1235 Gender differences in structural and behavioral determinants of health: an analysis of the social production of health
by Denton, Margaret & Walters, Vivienne
- 1237-1245 Do ethnic groups use health services like the majority of the population? A study from Quebec, Canada
by Blais, Régis & Maïga, Aboubacrine
- 1247-1258 No struggle, no strength: how pharmacists lost their monopoly
by Morgall, Janine Marie & Almarsdóttir, Anna Birna
- 1259-1269 Measuring both negative and positive reactions to giving care to cancer patients: psychometric qualities of the Caregiver Reaction Assessment (CRA)
by Nijboer, Chris & Triemstra, Mattanja & Tempelaar, Reike & Sanderman, Robbert & van den Bos, Geertrudis A. M.
- 1271-1280 Extending specialist palliative care to all?
by Field, David & Addington-Hall, Julia
- 1281-1290 The gradient in mammography screening behavior: a lifestyle marker
by Hagoel, Lea & Ore, Liora & Neter, Efrat & Shifroni, Galia & Rennert, Gad
- 1291-1299 The effect of spiritual beliefs on outcome from illness
by King, Michael & Speck, Peter & Thomas, Angela
April 1999, Volume 48, Issue 8
- 977-988 The disability paradox: high quality of life against all odds
by Albrecht, Gary L. & Devlieger, Patrick J.
- 989-996 Patient satisfaction in developing countries
by Bernhart, Michael H. & Wiadnyana, I. G. P. & Wihardjo, Haryoko & Pohan, Imbalos
- 997-1009 Risk analysis of poor health and growth failure of children in the central highlands of Guatemala
by Immink, Maarten D. C. & Payongayong, Ellen
- 1011-1027 Predictors of childhood immunization completion in a rural population
by Gore, Prasanna & Madhavan, Suresh & Curry, David & McClung, Gordon & Castiglia, Mary & Rosenbluth, Sidney A. & Smego, Raymond A.
- 1029-1046 Starting mental health services in Cambodia
by Somasundaram, Daya J. & van de Put, Willem A. C. M. & Eisenbruch, Maurice & de Jong, Joop T. V. M.
- 1047-1051 From African health and influenza pandemics to disease in Russia: the medical history of K. David Patterson
by Pyle, Gerald F.
- 1053-1067 Attaining health for all through community partnerships: principles of the census-based, impact-oriented (CBIO) approach to primary health care developed in Bolivia, South America
by Perry, Henry & Robison, Nathan & Chavez, Dardo & Taja, Orlando & Carolina Hilari & Shanklin, David & Wyon, John
- 1069-1079 Perceptions of soil-eating and anaemia among pregnant women on the Kenyan coast
by Geissler, P. W. & Prince, R. J. & Levene, M. & Poda, C. & Beckerleg, S. E. & Mutemi, W. & Shulman, C. E.
- 1081-1094 The social ecology of syphilis
by Thomas, James C. & Clark, Michele & Robinson, Jadis & Monnett, Martha & Kilmarx, Peter H. & Peterman, Thomas A.
- 1095-1102 Implications of social class and race for urban public health policy making: a case study of HIV/AIDS and TB policy in Washington, DCThe views in this paper are the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or position of the authors' agencies
by Dievler, Anne & Pappas, Gregory
- 1103-1116 Sexual regimes and sexual networking: the risk of an HIV/AIDS epidemic in Bangladesh
by Caldwell, Bruce & Pieris, Indrani & Barkat-e-Khuda & Caldwell, John & Caldwell, Pat
- 1117-1122 Reliability of perceived health by sex and age
by Martikainen, Pekka & Aromaa, Arpo & Heliövaara, Markku & Klaukka, Timo & Knekt, Paul & Maatela, Jouni & Lahelma, Eero
April 1999, Volume 48, Issue 7
- 871-879 Developing health insurance in transitional Asia
by Ensor, Tim
- 881-896 Social movements and health insurance: a critical evaluation of voluntary, non-profit insurance schemes with case studies from Ghana and Cameroon
by Atim, Chris
- 897-911 The Bwamanda hospital insurance scheme: effective for whom? A study of its impact on hospital utilization patterns
by Criel, Bart & Van der Stuyft, Patrick & Van Lerberghe, Wim
- 913-923 The social security scheme in Thailand: what lessons can be drawn?
by Tangcharoensathien, Viroj & Supachutikul, Anuwat & Lertiendumrong, Jongkol
- 925-938 The potential for social mobilisation in Bangladesh: the organisation and functioning of two health insurance schemes
by Desmet, M. & Chowdhury, A. Q. & Islam, Md. K.
- 939-950 NGOs in community health insurance schemes: examples from Guatemala and the Philippines
by Ron, Aviva
- 951-960 Rural health prepayment schemes in China: towards a more active role for government
by Bloom, Gerald & Shenglan, Tang
- 961-972 The reform of the rural cooperative medical system in the People's Republic of China: interim experience in 14 pilot counties
by Carrin, Guy & Ron, Aviva & Hui, Yang & Hong, Wang & Tuohong, Zhang & Licheng, Zhang & Shuo, Zhang & Yide, Ye & Jiaying, Chen & Qicheng, Jiang & Zhaoyang, Zhang & Jun, Yu & Xuesheng, Li
March 1999, Volume 48, Issue 6
- 711-718 Issues in promoting health
by Mechanic, David
- 719-731 Crime: social disorganization and relative deprivation
by Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P. & Wilkinson, Richard G.
- 733-744 Aggregation and the measurement of income inequality: effects on morbidity
by Soobader, Mah-Jabeen & LeClere, Felicia B.
- 745-755 Gender matters: an integrated model for understanding men's and women's health
by Bird, Chloe E. & Rieker, Patricia P.
- 759-775 The relationship between tobacco access and use among adolescents: a four community study
by Altman, David G. & Wheelis, Anne Y. & McFarlane, Mary & Lee, Hye-Ryeon & Fortmann, Stephen P.
- 777-786 Drug policy in China: pharmaceutical distribution in rural areas
by Dong, Hengjin & Bogg, Lennart & Rehnberg, Clas & Diwan, Vinod
- 787-796 Marital food interaction and dietary behavior
by Schafer, Robert B. & Schafer, Elisabeth & Dunbar, Martin & Keith, Patricia M.
- 797-813 Prioritising family health needs: a time-space analysis of women's health-related behaviours
by Young, Ruth
- 815-832 Effectiveness of community-directed diabetes prevention and control in a rural Aboriginal population in British Columbia, Canada
by Daniel, Mark & Green, Lawrence W. & Marion, Stephen A. & Gamble, Diane & Herbert, Carol P. & Hertzman, Clyde & Sheps, Sam B.
- 833-843 Addressing birth in Gaza: using qualitative methods to improve vital registration
by Lewando-Hundt, G. & Abed, Y. & Skeik, M. & Beckerleg, S. & El Alem, A.
- 845-853 Improving drug use: a case study of events which led to changes in use of flucloxacillin in Australia
by Roughead, Elizabeth E. & Gilbert, Andrew L. & Primrose, John G.
March 1999, Volume 48, Issue 5
- 575-589 Psychological aspects of in vitro fertilization: a review
by Eugster, A. & Vingerhoets, A. J. J. M.
- 591-605 Structuring the meaning of hope in health and illness
by Nekolaichuk, Cheryl L. & Jevne, Ronna F. & Maguire, Thomas O.
- 607-618 Local knowledge and treatment of malaria in Agusan del Sur, The Philippines
by Miguel, Cynthia A. & Tallo, Veronica L. & Manderson, Lenore & Lansang, Mary Ann
- 619-631 Learning from unreliability: the importance of inconsistency in coping dynamics
by Schwartz, Carolyn E. & Daltroy, Lawren H.
- 633-646 Hierarchies and cliques in the social networks of health care professionals: implications for the design of dissemination strategies
by West, Elizabeth & Barron, David N. & Dowsett, Juliet & Newton, John N.
- 647-660 Value added to health by pharmacists
by Indritz, Mary E. S. & Artz, Margaret B.
- 661-673 Social relations: network, support and relational strain
by Due, Pernille & Holstein, Bjørn & Lund, Rikke & Modvig, Jens & Avlund, Kirsten
- 675-682 Short stature and the age of enrolment in Primary School: studies in two African countries
by The Partnership for Child Development
- 683-692 Reducing coronary heart disease in the Australian Coalfields: evaluation of a 10-year community intervention
by Higginbotham, Nick & Heading, Gaynor & McElduff, Patrick & Dobson, Annette & Heller, Richard
- 693-705 Income and health: what is the nature of the relationship?
by Ecob, Russell & Davey Smith, George
February 1999, Volume 48, Issue 4
- 427-443 The influence of personal care and assistive devices on the measurement of disability
by Agree, Emily M.
- 445-469 Risk factors for functional status decline in community-living elderly people: a systematic literature review
by Stuck, Andreas E. & Walthert, Jutta M. & Nikolaus, Thorsten & Büla, Christophe J. & Hohmann, Christoph & Beck, John C.
- 473-487 Selecting national items for the WHOQOL: conceptual and psychometric considerations
by Skevington, S. M. & Bradshaw, J. & Saxena, S.
- 489-495 Patterns of health seeking behavior during episodes of childhood diarrhea: a study of Tzotzil-speaking Mayans in the highlands of Chiapas, Mexico
by Granich, Reuben & Cantwell, Michael F. & Long, Kurt & Maldonado, Yvonne & Parsonnet, Julie
- 497-505 Smoking and deprivation: are there neighbourhood effects?
by Duncan, Craig & Jones, Kelvyn & Moon, Graham
- 507-521 Epidemics and public health in early colonial Somaliland
by Mohamed, Jama
- 523-534 Medical knowledge and the intractable patient: the case of chronic low back pain
by May, Carl & Doyle, Helen & Chew-Graham, Carolyn
- 535-546 Using conjoint analysis to take account of patient preferences and go beyond health outcomes: an application to in vitro fertilisation
by Ryan, Mandy
- 547-557 HMO physicians' use of referrals
by Bachman, Keith H. & K. Freeborn, Donald
- 559-568 Personal values of male and female doctors: gender aspects
by Neittaanmäki, Liisa & Gross, Edith B. & Virjo, Irma & Hyppölä, Harri & Kumpusalo, Esko
February 1999, Volume 48, Issue 3
- 283-292 Gender, sexuality, and the prevention of sexually transmissible diseases: a Brazilian study of clinical practice
by Giffin, Karen & Lowndes, Catherine M.
- 293-300 The social impact of HIV testing: a comparative analysis of Britain and Sweden
by Danziger, Renée
- 301-312 Birth intervals, breastfeeding and determinants of childhood mortality in Malawi
by Manda, Samuel O. M.
- 313-320 Postpartum health in a Dhaka slum
by Uzma, Amatul & Underwood, Peter & Atkinson, David & Thackrah, Rose
- 321-329 Accidents to preschool children: comparing family and neighbourhood risk factors
by Reading, Richard & Langford, Ian H. & Haynes, Robin & Lovett, Andrew
- 331-341 Costs of formal care for frail older people in England:: the resource implications study of the MRC cognitive function and ageing study (RIS MRC CFAS)
by McNamee, Paul & Gregson, Barbara A. & Buck, Debbie & Bamford, Claire H. & Bond, John & Wright, Ken
- 343-351 The medical profession and alternative medicine in the Netherlands: its history and recent developments
by Schepers, R. M. J. & Hermans, H. E. G. M.
- 353-361 Procedures and the professional: the case of the British NHS
by Lawton, Rebecca & Parker, Dianne
- 363-374 Complaints against nurses: a reflection of 'the new managerialism' and consumerism in health care?
by Beardwood, Barbara & Walters, Vivienne & Eyles, John & French, Susan
- 375-391 Smoking-attributable medical care costs in the USA
by Miller, Vincent P. & Ernst, Carla & Collin, François
- 393-405 Medicine, economics and agenda-setting
by Lewis, Jenny M. & Considine, Mark
- 407-420 Dentistry and medical dominance
by Adams, Tracey
January 1999, Volume 48, Issue 2
- 139-148 An evaluation of the informed consent procedure used during a trial of a Haemophilus influenzae type B conjugate vaccine undertaken in The Gambia, West Africa
by Leach, A. & Hilton, S. & Greenwood, B. M. & Manneh, E. & Dibba, B. & Wilkins, A. & Mulholland, E. K.
- 149-162 Women's strategies to alleviate nutritional stress in a rural African society
by Bentley, Gillian R. & Aunger, Robert & Harrigan, Alisa M. & Jenike, Mark & Bailey, Robert C. & Ellison, Peter T.
- 163-172 Ngaka ya setswana, ngaka ya sekgoa or both? Health seeking behaviour in Batswana with pulmonary tuberculosis
by Steen, T. W. & Mazonde, G. N.
- 173-184 Ethnicity, alcohol, and acculturation
by Gutmann, M. C.
- 185-196 Holocaust survivors' perspectives on the euthanasia debate
by Leichtentritt, Ronit D. & Rettig, Kathryn D. & Miles, Steven H.
- 197-212 Risk adjustment and hospital cost-based resource allocation, with an application to El Salvador
by Fiedler, John L. & Wight, Jonathan B. & Schmidt, Robert M.
- 213-225 Obstacles on the path to a primary-care led National Health Service: complexities of outpatient care
by Somerset, Maggie & Faulkner, Alex & Shaw, Alison & Dunn, Liz & Sharp, Deborah J.
- 227-239 Health promotion versus disease and care: failure to establish "blissful clarity" in British nurse education and practice
by Smith, P. & Masterson, A. & Smith, S. Lloyd
- 241-251 Re-forming medical delivery systems: economic organization and dynamics of regional planning and managed competition
by Perkins, Barbara Bridgman
- 253-265 No fathers' names: a risk factor for infant mortality in the State of Georgia, USA
by Gaudino, James A. & Jenkins, Bill & Rochat, Roger W.
- 267-276 Age-related preferences and age weighting health benefits
by Tsuchiya, Aki
January 1999, Volume 48, Issue 1
- 1-5 Relocating gender and morbidity: examining men's and women's health in contemporary Western societies. Introduction to Special Issue on Gender and Health
by Hunt, Kate & Annandale, Ellen
- 7-19 Gender differences in illhealth in Finland: patterns, magnitude and change
by Lahelma, Eero & Martikainen, Pekka & Rahkonen, Ossi & Silventoinen, Karri
- 21-32 Women's status and the health of women and men: a view from the States
by Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P. & Gupta, Vanita & Prothrow-Stith, Deborah
- 33-48 Problematizing gender, work and health: the relationship between gender, occupational grade, working conditions and minor morbidity in full-time bank employees
by Emslie, Carol & Hunt, Kate & Macintyre, Sally
- 49-60 Social inequalities in health: are there gender differences?
by Matthews, Sharon & Manor, Orly & Power, Chris
- 61-76 Gender differences in health in later life: the new paradox?
by Arber, Sara & Cooper, Helen
- 77-87 Gender, social relations and mental health: prospective findings from an occupational cohort (Whitehall II study)
by Fuhrer, R. & Stansfeld, S. A. & Chemali, J. & Shipley, M. J.
- 89-98 Do women 'over-report' morbidity? Men's and women's responses to structured prompting on a standard question on long standing illness
by Macintyre, Sally & Ford, Graeme & Hunt, Kate