Social Science & Medicine
October 2001, Volume 53, Issue 7
September 2001, Volume 53, Issue 6
- 693-706 The dilemma of "to-be or not-to-be": needs and expectations of the Taiwanese cadaveric organ donor families during the pre-donation transition
by Shih, Fu-Jin & Lai, Ming-Kuen & Lin, Min-Heuy & Lin, Hui-Ying & Tsao, Chuan-I & Duh, Bau-Ruei & Chu, Shu-Hsun
- 707-719 Ethical issues and the importance of consensus for the intensive care team
by Melia, Kath M.
- 721-732 Decisions about treatment: interpretations of two measures of control by women having a hysterectomy
by Entwistle, Vikki A. & Skea, Zoë C. & O'Donnell, Máire T.
- 733-743 Post-modernity and post-traumatic stress disorder
by Bracken, Patrick J.
- 745-757 Understanding the role of opinion leaders in improving clinical effectiveness
by Locock, Louise & Dopson, Sue & Chambers, David & Gabbay, John
- 759-771 Marital fertility in Lebanon: a study based on the population and housing survey
by Beydoun, May A.
- 773-774 Health and variation in deprivation: commentary on Boyle et al
by Houghton, Frank T
- 775-775 Reply to commentary: health and variation in deprivation
by Boyle, Paul J & Gatrell, Anthony C & Duke-Williams, Oliver
- 777-793 Understanding the role of contextual influences on local health-care decision making: case study results from Ontario, Canada
by Abelson, Julia
- 795-799 Do area-level population change, deprivation and variations in deprivation affect individual-level self-reported limiting long-term illness?
by Boyle, Paul J. & Gatrell, Anthony C. & Duke-Williams, Oliver
- 801-816 On the methodological, theoretical and philosophical context of health inequalities research: a critique
by Forbes, Angus & Wainwright, Steven P.
- 817-830 Does class matter? SES and psychosocial health among Hungarian adolescents
by Piko, Bettina & Fitzpatrick, Kevin M.
September 2001, Volume 53, Issue 5
- 553-567 Feminism meets the "new" epidemiologies: toward an appraisal of antifeminist biases in epidemiological research on women's health
by Inhorn, Marcia C. & Whittle, K. Lisa
- 569-578 Comorbid depressive symptomatology: isolating the effects of chronic medical conditions on self-reported depressive symptoms among community-dwelling older adults
by Mills, Terry L.
- 579-591 Neighbourhood and family influences on the cognitive ability of children in the British National Child Development Study
by McCulloch, Andrew & Joshi, Heather E.
- 593-602 Anxious adults vs. cool children: children's views on smoking and addiction
by Rugkåsa, Jorun & Knox, Barbara & Sittlington, Julie & Kennedy, Orla & Treacy, Margaret P. & Abaunza, Pilar Santos
- 603-614 Sense of coherence and school-related stress as predictors of subjective health complaints in early adolescence: interactive, indirect or direct relationships?
by Torsheim, Torbjorn & Aaroe, Leif Edvard & Wold, Bente
- 615-626 Living a 'normal' life: young people coping with thalassaemia major or sickle cell disorder
by Atkin, Karl & Ahmad, Waqar I. U.
- 627-638 Down's syndrome: cost, quality and value of life
by Alderson, Priscilla
- 639-656 Closing medical encounters: two physician practices and their implications for the expression of patients' unstated concerns
by Robinson, Jeffrey D.
- 657-667 Male physicians' narratives about being in ethically difficult care situations in paediatrics
by V, Sørlie & Førde, R. & Lindseth, A. & Norberg, A.
- 669-677 Taking responsibility for cancer treatment
by Deadman, J. M. & Leinster, S. J. & Owens, R. G. & Dewey, M. E. & Slade, P. D.
- 679-691 Declining the offer of flexible sigmoidoscopy screening for bowel cancer: : a qualitative investigation of the decision-making process
by McCaffery, Kirsten & Borril, Jo & Williamson, Sara & Taylor, Tamara & Sutton, Stephen & Atkin, Wendy & Wardle, Jane
August 2001, Volume 53, Issue 4
- 405-421 Organ donation and family decision-making within the Spanish donation system
by Martínez, José M. & López, Jorge S. & Martín, Antonio & Martín, María J. & Scandroglio, Barbara & Martín, José M.
- 423-440 Children's emotional and behavioural well-being and the family environment: findings from the Health Survey for England
by McMunn, Anne M. & Nazroo, James Y. & Marmot, Michael G. & Boreham, Richard & Goodman, Robert
- 441-453 Debt, social disadvantage and maternal depression
by Reading, Richard & Reynolds, Shirley
- 455-464 Chinese seniors' perspectives on end-of-life decisions
by Bowman, Kerry W. & Singer, Peter A.
- 465-476 Perceptions of illness causation among new referrals to a community mental health team: "explanatory model" or "exploratory map"?
by Williams, Brian & Healy, David
- 477-485 The socioeconomic position of employed women, risk factors and mortality
by Heslop, Pauline & Davey Smith, George & Macleod, John & Hart, Carole
- 487-505 Giving voice to the lifeworld. More humane, more effective medical care? A qualitative study of doctor-patient communication in general practice
by Barry, Christine A. & Stevenson, Fiona A. & Britten, Nicky & Barber, Nick & Bradley, Colin P.
- 507-518 Variations in general practitioners' views of asthma management in four European countries
by Wahlström, R. & Lagerløv, P. & Stålsby Lundborg, C. & Veninga, C. C. M. & Hummers-Pradier, E. & Dahlgren, L. O. & Denig, P.
- 519-529 The convergence of vulnerable characteristics and health insurance in the US
by Shi, Leiyu
- 531-542 Legalized, regulated, but unfunded: midwifery's laborious professionalization in Alberta, Canada, 1975-99
by McKendry, Rachael & Langford, Tom
August 2001, Volume 53, Issue 3
- 265-275 A hierarchical analysis of long-term illness and mortality in socially deprived areas
by Malmström, Marianne & Johansson, SvenErik & Sundquist, Jan
- 277-292 Children's behaviour and the urban environment: an ecological analysis
by LeClair, James A.
- 293-303 Do high levels of unemployment influence the health of those who are not unemployed? A gendered comparison of young men and women during boom and recession
by Novo, Mehmed & Hammarström, Anne & Janlert, Urban
- 305-320 Unemployment and psychosocial adjustment in young adults: causation or selection?
by Fergusson, David M. & John Horwood, L. & Woodward, Lianne J.
- 321-332 Health psychology and the study of the case: from method to analytic concern
by Radley, Alan & Chamberlain, Kerry
- 333-348 Evaluation of community-based rehabilitation for disabled persons in developing countries
by Evans, P. J. & Zinkin, P. & Harpham, T. & Chaudury, G.
- 349-356 British psychiatry in the 20th century -- observations from a psychiatric journal
by Moncrieff, Joanna & Crawford, M. J.
- 357-369 Physician-patient communication about over-the-counter medications
by Sleath, Betsy & Rubin, Richard H. & Campbell, William & Gwyther, Lisa & Clark, Trina
- 371-382 Sexual cleansing (Kusalazya) and levirate marriage (Kunjilila mung'anda) in the era of AIDS: changes in perceptions and practices in Zambia
by Malungo, J. R. S.
- 383-392 Determinants of the intention of Dutch adolescents to register as organ donors
by Reubsaet, Astrid & van den Borne, Bart & Brug, Johannes & Pruyn, Jean & van Hooff, Hans
- 393-397 Sex selection in practice among Hong Kong Chinese
by Wong, S. F. & Ho, L. C.
July 2001, Volume 53, Issue 2
- 153-164 Anthropological perspectives on alcohol and drugs at the turn of the new millennium
by Marshall, Mac & Ames, Genevieve M. & Bennett, Linda A.
- 165-188 Socio-cultural anthropology and alcohol and drug research: : towards a unified theory
by Hunt, Geoffrey & Barker, Judith C.
- 189-198 Intoxication and bad behaviour: understanding cultural differences in the link
by Room, Robin
- 199-213 Toward a bio-cultural and political economic integration of alcohol, tobacco and drug studies in the coming century
by Singer, Merrill
- 215-226 Assessing alcohol consumption: developments from qualitative research methods
by Strunin, Lee
- 227-240 Culture and the restoration of self among former American Indian drinkers
by Spicer, Paul
- 241-250 "These young chaps think they are just men, too": redistributing masculinity in Kgatleng bars
by Suggs, David N.
- 251-262 "Take my water": : liberation through prohibition in San Pedro Chenalhó, Chiapas, Mexico
by Eber, Christine
July 2001, Volume 53, Issue 1
- 1-8 Social deprivation and psychiatric service use for different diagnostic groups
by Peen, Jaap & Dekker, Jack
- 9-19 Does the state you live in make a difference? Multilevel analysis of self-rated health in the US
by Subramanian, S. V. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P.
- 21-27 Estimating the employment and earnings costs of mental illness: recent developments in the United States
by Marcotte, Dave E. & Wilcox-Gök, Virginia
- 29-40 Socioeconomic disparities in health change in a longitudinal study of US adults: the role of health-risk behaviors
by Lantz, Paula M. & Lynch, John W. & House, James S. & Lepkowski, James M. & Mero, Richard P. & Musick, Marc A. & Williams, David R.
- 41-53 Models of acculturation and health behaviors among Latino immigrants to the US
by Arcia, E. & Skinner, M. & Bailey, D. & Correa, V.
- 55-70 Defining the "urban" in urbanization and health: a factor analysis approach
by McDade, Thomas W. & Adair, Linda S.
- 71-81 Casuistry as bioethical method: an empirical perspective
by Braunack-Mayer, Annette
- 83-97 Intrahousehold resource allocation and child growth in Mozambique: an ethnographic case-control study
by Pfeiffer, James & Gloyd, Stephen & Li, Lucy Ramirez
- 99-121 Condom use, power and HIV/AIDS risk: sex-workers bargain for survival in Hillbrow/Joubert Park/Berea, Johannesburg
by Wojcicki, Janet Maia & Malala, Josephine
- 123-133 What do women want? Women's experiences of infertility treatment
by Malin, Maili & Hemminki, Elina & Räikkönen, Outi & Sihvo, Sinikka & Perälä, M-L
- 135-145 The social context of health selection: a longitudinal study of health and employment
by McDonough, Peggy & Amick, Benjamin C.
June 2001, Volume 52, Issue 12
- 1763-1775 Developing socio-spatial knowledge networks: : a qualitative methodology for chronic disease prevention
by Cravey, Altha J. & Washburn, Sarah A. & Gesler, Wilbert M. & Arcury, Thomas A. & Skelly, Anne H.
- 1777-1791 The impacts of distance to hospital on families with a child with a chronic condition
by Yantzi, Nicole & Rosenberg, Mark W. & Burke, Sharon O. & Harrison, Margaret B.
- 1793-1804 Impact of rural hospital closures in Saskatchewan, Canada
by Liu, Liyan & Hader, Joanne & Brossart, Bonnie & White, Robin & Lewis, Steven
- 1805-1813 Orientations to motherhood and male partner support among women in Mexico and Mexican-origin women in the United States
by Guendelman, Sylvia & Malin, Christina & Herr-Harthorn, Barbara & Noemi Vargas, Patricia
- 1815-1826 Adolescent girls, illegal abortions and "sugar-daddies" in Dar es Salaam: vulnerable victims and active social agents
by Silberschmidt, Margrethe & Rasch, Vibeke
- 1827-1841 "The tongue is venomous": perception, verbalisation and manipulation of mortality and fertility regimes in rural Mali
by Castle, Sarah
- 1843-1857 Effect of orthographic and phonological similarity on false recognition of drug names
by Lambert, Bruce L. & Chang, Ken-Yu & Lin, Swu-Jane
- 1859-1864 Patients' perceptions of medical care in chronic fatigue syndrome
by Deale, Alicia & Wessely, Simon
- 1865-1878 Sharing decisions in cancer care
by Gattellari, Melina & Butow, Phyllis N. & Tattersall, Martin H. N.
- 1879-1887 Social inequalities in ischaemic heart and cerebrovascular disease mortality in men: Spain and France, 1980-1982 and 1988-1990
by Lostao, Lourdes & Regidor, Enrique & Aïach, Pierre & Domínguez, Vicente
- 1889-1901 Resisting and promoting new technologies in clinical practice: the case of telepsychiatry
by May, Carl & Gask, Linda & Atkinson, Theresa & Ellis, Nicola & Mair, Frances & Esmail, Aneez
- 1903-1915 The impact of privatization on access in Tanzania
by Benson, John S.
June 2001, Volume 52, Issue 11
- 1613-1627 'I think condoms are good but, aai, I hate those things': : condom use among adolescents and young people in a Southern African township
by MacPhail, Catherine & Campbell, Catherine
- 1629-1641 Trends in healthy life expectancy in the United States, 1970-1990: gender, racial, and educational differences
by Crimmins, Eileen M. & Saito, Yasuhiko
- 1643-1659 "Being dealt with as a whole person." Care seeking and adherence: the benefits of culturally competent care
by Schilder, Arn J. & Kennedy, Cornelis & Goldstone, Irene L. & Ogden, Russel D. & Hogg, Robert S. & O'Shaughnessy, Michael V.
- 1661-1676 Perceived control in relation to socioeconomic and behavioral resources for health
by Bailis, Daniel S. & Segall, Alexander & Mahon, Michael J. & Chipperfield, Judith G. & Dunn, Elaine M.
- 1677-1687 The ethics of social risk reduction in the era of the biological brain
by Schrecker, Ted & Acosta, Lisa & Somerville, Margaret A. & Bursztajn, Harold J.
- 1689-1707 The closure of rural hospitals in Saskatchewan: method or madness?
by Lepnurm, Rein & Lepnurm, Marje K.
- 1709-1718 Emerging paradigms in the mental health care of refugees
by Watters, Charles
- 1719-1727 On reflection: : doctors learning to care for people who are dying
by MacLeod, Roderick D.
- 1729-1740 Recurrent symptoms: well-being and management
by Musil, Carol M. & Morris, Diana L. & Haug, Marie R. & Warner, Camille B. & Whelan, Adriana T.
- 1741-1750 Transitions of employment status among suicide attempters during a severe economic recession
by Ostamo, Aini & Lahelma, Eero & Lönnqvist, Jouko
- 1751-1754 GIS approaches to the problem of disease clusters: a brief commentary
by Koch, Tom & Denike, Ken
May 2001, Volume 52, Issue 10
- 1477-1489 Patient' voices, social movements and the habitus; how psychiatric survivors 'speak out
by Crossley, Michele L. & Crossley, Nick
- 1491-1499 Exchanging spare parts or becoming a new person? People's attitudes toward receiving and donating organs
by Sanner, Margareta A.
- 1501-1516 Poor people, poor places, and poor health: the mediating role of social networks and social capital
by Cattell, Vicky
- 1517-1524 Efficacy of a minimal intervention to reduce fat intake
by Armitage, Christopher J. & Conner, Mark
- 1525-1535 HIV/AIDS institutional discrimination in Switzerland
by Dubois-Arber, Françoise & Haour-Knipe, Mary
- 1537-1550 Beyond health gain: : the range of health system benefits expressed by social groups in Mexico and Central America
by Angel González Block, Miguel Angle & Sandiford, Peter & Arturo Ruiz, José & Rovira, Joan
- 1551-1564 Disadvantaged persons' participation in health promotion projects: some structural dimensions
by Boyce, William F.
- 1565-1575 Gender differences in descriptions of angina symptoms and health problems immediately prior to angiography: the ACRE study
by Philpott, Sue & Boynton, Petra M. & Feder, Gene & Hemingway, Harry
- 1577-1587 Adolescent perceptions of smoking imagery in film
by McCool, Judith P. & Cameron, Linda D. & Petrie, Keith J.
- 1589-1605 Organochlorines and breast cancer: : the uses of scientific evidence in claimsmaking
by Driedger, S. Michelle & Eyles, John
May 2001, Volume 52, Issue 9
- 1313-1327 Older people and AIDS: quantitative evidence of the impact in Thailand
by Knodel, John & VanLandingham, Mark & Saengtienchai, Chanpen & Im-em, Wassana
- 1329-1341 Predictors of decline in self-assessments of health among older people -- a 5-year longitudinal study
by Leinonen, Raija & Heikkinen, Eino & Jylhä, Marja
- 1343-1358 When nurses double as interpreters: a study of Spanish-speaking patients in a US primary care setting
by Elderkin-Thompson, Virginia & Cohen Silver, Roxane & Waitzkin, Howard
- 1359-1370 Service quality perceptions and patient satisfaction: a study of hospitals in a developing country
by Andaleeb, Syed Saad
- 1371-1390 Income and health: the time dimension
by Benzeval, Michaela & Judge, Ken
- 1391-1402 The relationship between heart problems and mortality in different social classes
by Kåreholt, Ingemar
- 1403-1416 Malevolent Ogbanje: recurrent reincarnation or sickle cell disease?
by Nzewi, Esther
- 1417-1432 Writing wrongs? An analysis of published discourses about the use of patient information leaflets
by Dixon-Woods, Mary
- 1433-1440 A family history of breast cancer: women's experiences from a theoretical perspective
by Rees, G. & Fry, A. & Cull, A.
- 1441-1450 Return to work after myocardial infarction/coronary artery bypass grafting: patients' and physicians' initial viewpoints and outcome 12 months later
by Mittag, O. & Kolenda, K. -D. & Nordmann, K. -J. & Bernien, J. & Maurischat, C.
- 1451-1458 Immigrant women's health
by Meadows, Lynn M. & Thurston, Wilfreda E. & Melton, Christina
- 1459-1470 Estimating time preferences for health using discrete choice experiments
by van der Pol, Marjon & Cairns, John
April 2001, Volume 52, Issue 8
- 1151-1166 Comparative institutional response to economic policy managed competition and governmentality
by Light, Donald W.
- 1167-1181 Managed competition, governmentality and institutional response in the United Kingdom
by Light, Donald W.
- 1183-1194 The marginal success of regulated competition policy in the Netherlands
by Lieverdink, Harm
- 1195-1204 Cost containment, solidarity and cautious experimentation: Swedish dilemmas
by Andersen, Ronald & Smedby, Björn & Vågerö, Denny
- 1205-1217 Adopting and adapting managed competition: health care reform in Southern Europe
by Cabiedes, Laura & Guillén, Ana
- 1219-1231 Implementing managed competition in Israel
by Gross, Revital & Harrison, Michael
- 1233-1242 Transforming health sectors: new logics of organizing in the New Zealand health system
by Fougere, Geoff
- 1243-1253 Managed care in Latin America: the new common sense in health policy reform
by Iriart, Celia & Elías Merhy, Emerson & Waitzkin, Howard
- 1255-1268 Biofantasies: genetics and medicine in the print news media
by Petersen, Alan
- 1269-1284 Does childhood health affect chronic morbidity in later life?
by Blackwell, Debra L. & Hayward, Mark D. & Crimmins, Eileen M.
- 1285-1296 Ethnic and class differences in health in relation to British South Asians: using the new National Statistics Socio-Economic Classification
by Chandola, Tarani
- 1297-1311 Socioeconomic status and health among older adults in Thailand: an examination using multiple indicators
by Zimmer, Zachary & Amornsirisomboon, Pattama
April 2001, Volume 52, Issue 7
- 985-998 What do patients expect of psychiatric services? A systematic and critical review of empirical studies
by Noble, Lorraine M. & Douglas, Brian C. & Newman, Stanton P.
- 999-1005 Morbidity and Irish Catholic descent in Britain : Relating health disadvantage to socio-economic position
by Abbotts, Joanne & Williams, Rory & Ford, Graeme
- 1007-1012 Establishing the causes of childhood mortality in Ghana: the 'spirit child'
by Allotey, Pascale & Reidpath, Daniel
- 1013-1028 The medicalization of female "circumcision": harm reduction or promotion of a dangerous practice?
by Shell-Duncan, Bettina
- 1029-1042 Stressors, resources, and distress among homeless persons: : a longitudinal analysis
by Wong, Yin-Ling Irene & Piliavin, Irving
- 1043-1055 Disease and dislocation: the impact of refugee movements on the geography of malaria in NWFP, Pakistan
by Kazmi, Jamil H. & Pandit, Kavita
- 1057-1069 Determinants of condom use intentions of university students in Ghana: an application of the theory of reasoned action
by Bosompra, Kwadwo
- 1071-1080 The impact of AIDS, immigration and housing overcrowding on tuberculosis deaths in São Paulo, Brazil, 1994-1998
by Antunes, José Leopoldo Ferreira & Waldman, Eliseu Alves
- 1081-1091 Injury in children of low-income Mexican, Mexican American, and non-Hispanic white mothers in the USA : a focused ethnography
by Mull, Dorothy S. & Agran, Phyllis F. & Winn, Diane G. & Anderson, Craig L.
- 1093-1108 Looking means listening: coordinating displays of engagement in doctor-patient interaction
by Ruusuvuori, Johanna
- 1109-1121 Negotiating control and meaning: home birth as a self-constructed choice in Finland
by Viisainen, Kirsi
- 1123-1134 Clinical, provider and sociodemographic determinants of the number of antenatal visits in England and Wales
by Petrou, Stavros & Kupek, Emil & Vause, Sarah & Maresh, Michael
- 1135-1141 Social patterns of birth weight in Hong Kong, 1984-1997
by Cheung, Y. B. & Yip, Paul S. F.
March 2001, Volume 52, Issue 6
- 825-837 Physician satisfaction revisited
by Dunstone, David C. & Reames, Harold R.
- 853-861 Community values and preferences in transplantation organ allocation decisions
by Browning, Colette J. & Thomas, Shane A.
- 863-870 Cost effectiveness of brief interventions for reducing alcohol consumption
by Wutzke, Sonia E. & Shiell, Alan & Gomel, Michelle K. & Conigrave, Katherine M.
- 871-883 Who rules? The new politics of medical regulation
by Salter, Brian
- 885-909 Private practitioners and their role in the resurgence of malaria in Mumbai (Bombay) and Navi Mumbai (New Bombay), India: serving the affected or aiding an epidemic?
by Kamat, Vinay R.
- 911-919 Adult outpatients with depression: worse quality of life than in other chronic medical diseases in Argentina
by Bonicatto, S. C. & Dew, M. A. & Zaratiegui, R. & Lorenzo, L. & Pecina, P.
- 921-934 Problems with the Sickness Impact Profile: a theoretically based analysis and a proposal for a new method of implementation and scoring
by Pollard, Beth & Johnston, Marie
- 935-948 Can I afford free treatment?: Perceived consequences of health care provider choices among people with tuberculosis in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
by Lönnroth, Knut & Tran, Thuc-Uyen & Thuong, Le Minh & Quy, Hoang Thi & Diwan, Vinod
- 949-958 The will to live: gender differences among elderly persons
by Carmel, Sara
- 959-965 Domestic labour, paid employment and women's health: analysis of life course data
by Blane, D. & Berney, L. & Montgomery, S. M.
- 967-978 Networks, resources and risk among women who use drugs
by Miller, Maureen & Neaigus, Alan
- 979-979 Letter to the Editor
by Nyström, Lennarth
March 2001, Volume 52, Issue 5
- 657-670 Monitoring health reform: a report card approach
by Brownell, Marni D. & Roos, Noralou P. & Roos, Leslie L.
- 671-679 Competitive health policies and community health
by Stanton, Pauline
- 681-694 Networks and tuberculosis: an undetected community outbreak involving public places
by Klovdahl, A. S. & Graviss, E. A. & Yaganehdoost, A. & Ross, M. W. & Wanger, A. & Adams, G. J. & Musser, J. M.
- 695-706 Primary care as intersecting social worlds
by Tovey, Philip & Adams, Jon
- 707-721 The social construction of male 'homosexuality' in India: implications for HIV transmission and prevention
by Asthana, Sheena & Oostvogels, Robert
- 723-731 Implementing AIDS policy in post-apartheid South Africa
by Schneider, Helen & Stein, Joanne
- 733-744 Relationship dynamics and teenage pregnancy in South Africa
by Jewkes, Rachel & Vundule, Caesar & Maforah, Fidelia & Jordaan, Esmé
- 745-761 China's one-child policy: the economic choices and consequences faced by pregnant women
by Doherty, Jim P. & Norton, Edward C. & Veney, James E.
- 763-781 Dimensions of social inequality in the health of women in England: occupational, material and behavioural pathways
by Sacker, Amanda & Bartley, Mel & Firth, David & Fitzpatrick, Ray
- 783-796 "It's some kind of women's empowerment": the ambiguity of the female condom as a marker of female empowerment
by Kaler, Amy
- 797-808 African Americans' views on research and the Tuskegee Syphilis study
by Freimuth, Vicki S. & Quinn, Sandra Crouse & Thomas, Stephen B. & Cole, Galen & Zook, Eric & Duncan, Ted
February 2001, Volume 52, Issue 4
- 499-507 Mental health and stress in the workplace: the case of general practice in the UK
by Calnan, Michael & Wainwright, David & Forsythe, Malcolm & Wall, Barbara & Almond, Stephen
- 509-518 AIDS and cultural practices in Africa: the case of the Tonga (Zambia)
by Gausset, Quentin
- 519-536 Understanding the dynamics of illness and help-seeking: event-structure analysis and a Cambodian-American narrative of "Spirit Invasion"
by Uehara, Edwina S.
- 537-545 Gender trends in occupancy rates in mental health beds in Northern Ireland
by Prior, Pauline M. & Hayes, Bernadette C.
- 547-559 Gender and health: reassessing patterns and explanations
by McDonough, Peggy & Walters, Vivienne
- 561-569 Knowledge, action and resistance: the selective use of pre-natal screening among Bedouin women of the Negev, Israel
by Lewando-Hundt, G. & Shoham-Vardi, I. & Beckerleg, S. & Belmaker, I. & Kassem, F. & Jaafar, A. Abu
- 571-583 Substance use during pregnancy in the state of California, USA
by Finch, Brian Karl & Vega, William A. & Kolody, Bohdan
- 585-598 Female control of sexuality: illusion or reality? Use of vaginal products in south west Uganda
by Green, Gill & Pool, Robert & Harrison, Susan & Hart, Graham J. & Wilkinson, Joanie & Nyanzi, Stella & Whitworth, James . A. G.
- 599-608 High-risk behaviors and the prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases among women prisoners at the women state penitentiary in Metro Manila
by Simbulan, Nymia P. & Aguilar, Angela S. & Flanigan, Timothy & Cu-Uvin, Susan
- 609-620 Predictors of patient satisfaction
by Jackson, Jeffrey L. & Chamberlin, Judith & Kroenke, Kurt
- 621-633 Why do women use dietary supplements? The use of the theory of planned behaviour to explore beliefs about their use
by Conner, Mark & Kirk, Sara F. L. & Cade, Janet E. & Barrett, Jennifer H.
- 635-650 Managing and treating risk and uncertainty for health: a case study of diabetes among First Nation's people in Ontario, Canada
by Sunday, Julie & Eyles, John
February 2001, Volume 52, Issue 3
- 331-343 Medical women -- towards full integration? An analysis of the specialty choices made by two cohorts of Norwegian doctors
by Gjerberg, Elisabeth
- 345-356 Is there a menopausal syndrome? Menopausal status and symptoms across racial/ethnic groups
by Avis, Nancy E. & Stellato, Rebecca & Crawford, Sybil & Bromberger, Joyce & Ganz, Patricia & Cain, Virginia & Kagawa-Singer, Marjorie
- 357-368 The impact of marital status on cancer survival
by Kravdal, Øystein
- 369-384 Subjective well-being and severe motor impairments: the Tetrafigap survey on the long-term outcome of tetraplegic spinal cord injured persons
by Ville, I. & Ravaud, J. -F. & Group, Tetrafigap
- 385-391 Compression or expansion of morbidity? Trends in healthy-life expectancy in the elderly Austrian population between 1978 and 1998
by Doblhammer, Gabriele & Kytir, Josef
- 393-404 Real world pharmacy: assessing the quality of private pharmacy practice in the Lao People's Democratic Republic
by Stenson, Bo & Syhakhang, Lamphone & Eriksson, Bo & Tomson, Göran
- 405-415 Psychophysiological effects of temporary alternative employment
by Westerlund, Hugo & Theorell, Töres & Bergström, Anna
- 417-427 Violence towards health care staff and possible effects on the quality of patient care
by Arnetz, Judith E. & Arnetz, Bengt B.
- 429-439 Health and cultural factors associated with enrolment in basic education: a study in rural Ghana
by Fentiman, Alicia & Hall, Andrew & Bundy, Don
- 441-451 Socioeconomic differences in leisure-time physical activity: the role of social participation and social capital in shaping health related behaviour
by Lindström, Martin & Hanson, Bertil S. & Östergren, Per-Olof
- 453-465 Future states: the axioms underlying prospective, future-oriented, health planning instruments
by Koch, Tom
- 467-480 Tactics at the interface: Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health managers
by Hill, Peter S. & Wakerman, John & Matthews, Sally & Gibson, Odette
- 481-491 The political context of social inequalities and health
by Navarro, Vicente & Shi, Leiyu
January 2001, Volume 52, Issue 2
- 171-173 The physician role in transition: is Hippocrates sick?
by Aasland, Olaf Gjerløw
- 175-177 The medical profession and health care reform -- friend or foe?
by Hernes, Gudmund
- 179-187 Towards gender balance: but will women physicians have an impact on medicine?
by Riska, Elianne
- 189-202 The doctor-nurse relationship: how easy is it to be a female doctor co-operating with a female nurse?
by Gjerberg, Elisabeth & Kjølsrød, Lise
- 203-213 Psychosocial challenges facing physicians of today
by Arnetz, Bengt B.
- 215-222 Interventions to improve physicians' well-being and patient care
by Firth-Cozens, Jenny
- 223-225 Interventions to improve physicians' well-being and patient care: a commentary
by Gerrity, Martha S.
- 227-237 Doctors drifting: autonomy and career uncertainty in young physicians' stories
by Löyttyniemi, Varpu
- 239-248 Paternalism, patient autonomy, and moral deliberation in the physician-patient relationship: Attitudes among Norwegian physicians
by Falkum, Erik & Førde, Reidun
- 249-258 Breast self-examination and cervical cancer testing among Norwegian female physicians: A nation-wide comparative study
by Rosvold, Elin Olaug & Hjartåker, Anette & Bjertness, Espen & Lund, Eiliv
- 259-265 Suicide rates from 1960 to 1989 in Norwegian physicians compared with other educational groups
by Aasland, Olaf Gjerløw & Ekeberg, Øvind & Schweder, Tore
- 267-277 Implications of health care provision on acute lower respiratory infection mortality in Bangladeshi children
by Ali, Mohammad & Emch, Michael & Tofail, Fahmida & Baqui, Abdullah H.
- 279-292 Capacity building to improve women's health in rural China
by Li, Virginia C. & Shaoxian, Wang & Kunyi, Wu & Wentao, Zhang & Buchthal, Opal & Wong, Glenn C. & Burris, Mary Ann
- 293-303 Impact of urinary schistosomiasis on rural land use: empirical evidence from Nigeria
by Umeh, J. Chinedu & Amali, O. & Umeh, E. U.
- 305-313 Medicaid eligibility and the incidence of ambulatory care sensitive hospitalizations for children
by Kaestner, R. & Joyce, T. & Racine, A.
- 315-322 Quality of life among women living with HIV: the importance violence, social support, and self care behaviors
by Gielen, A. C. & McDonnell, K. A. & Wu, A. W. & O'Campo, P. & Faden, R.
January 2001, Volume 52, Issue 1
- 1-10 The importance of the social environment for physically active lifestyle -- results from an international study
by Ståhl, T. & Rütten, A. & Nutbeam, D. & Bauman, A. & Kannas, L. & Abel, T. & Lüschen, G. & Rodriquez, Diaz J. A. & Vinck, J. & van der Zee, J.
- 11-23 Doing things with illness. The micro politics of the CFS clinic
by Banks, Jonathan & Prior, Lindsay
- 25-44 Revealing moments: formulating understandings of adverse experiences in a health appraisal interview
by Beach, W. A. & Dixson, C. N.