Social Science & Medicine
1998, Volume 46, Issue 11
1998, Volume 46, Issue 10
- 1255-1260 The international conferences on the Social Sciences and Medicine 1968-1996. An abridged history
by McEwan, Peter J. M.
- 1261-1270 Medical theories, science, and the practice of medicine
by Lewinsohn, Rachel
- 1271-1274 Latino parents' perception of their children's health status
by Arcia, Emily
- 1275-1290 Adolescent sexual and reproductive behavior: a review of the evidence from India
by Jejeebhoy, Shireen J.
- 1291-1302 The treatment of infants and young children suffering respiratory tract infection and diarrhoeal disease in a rural community in Southeast Indonesia
by Grace, Jocelyn
- 1303-1312 Why resort to illegal abortion in Zambia? Findings of a community-based study in Western Province
by Koster-Oyekan, Winny
- 1313-1323 Abortion, revised: participants in the U.S. clinical trials evaluate mifepristone
by Simonds, Wendy & Ellertson, Charlotte & Springer, Kimberly & Winikoff, Beverly
- 1325-1336 Migration and acculturation among Samoans: some sources of stress and support
by Hanna, Joel M.
- 1337-1353 The self-reported health status of lone parents
by Benzeval, Michaela
- 1355-1366 Self-perceived health in East and West Europe: another European health divide
by Carlson, Per
- 1367-1374 Attitudes towards genetic testing: analysis of contradictions
by Jallinoja, P. & Hakonen, A. & Aro, A. R. & Niemelä, P. & Hietala, M. & Lönnqvist, J. & Peltonen, L. & Aula, P.
- 1375-1380 Patient charges -- a hindrance to financially and psychosocially disadvantage groups seeking care
by Elofsson, Stig & Undén, Anna-Lena & Krakau, Ingvar
- 1381-1396 An event history analysis of age at last menstrual period: correlates of natural and surgical menopause among midlife Wisconsin women
by Shinberg, Diane S.
1998, Volume 46, Issue 9
- 1099-1110 The structure of emotions during acute myocardial infarction: A model of coping
by Alonzo, Angelo A. & Reynolds, Nancy R.
- 1111-1120 Special not different: general practitioners' accounts of their care of dying people
by Field, David
- 1121-1136 Social patterning of ill health in Helsinki and Moscow: Results from a comparative survey in 1991
by Palosuo, Hannele & Uutela, Antti & Zhuravleva, Irina & Lakomova, Nina
- 1137-1149 Community-based trauma systems in the United States: an examination of structural development
by Bazzoli, Gloria J. & Harmata, Rita & Chan, Cheeling
- 1151-1163 Cancer disclosure in Japan: Historical comparisons, current practices
by Elwyn, Todd S. & D. Fetters, Michael & Gorenflo, Daniel W. & Tsukasa Tsuda
- 1165-1174 Death, trauma and ritual: Mozambican refugees in Malawi
by Englund, Harri
- 1175-1182 Internal structure of a measure of self-efficacy in physical activity among high school students
by Dwyer, John J. M. & Allison, Kenneth R. & Makin, Susan
- 1183-1191 Cost-effectiveness analysis and capital costs
by Karlsson, Göran & Johannesson, Magnus
- 1193-1203 Therapeutic landscapes in holistic medicine
by Williams, Allison
- 1205-1212 The accuracy of mothers' reports of child vaccination: evidence from rural Egypt
by Langsten, Ray & Hill, Kenneth
- 1213-1225 Canadian naturopathic practitioners: holistic and scientific world views
by Boon, Heather
- 1227-1233 Firearm suicides and homicides in the United States: regional variations and patterns of gun ownership
by Kaplan, Mark S. & Geling, Olga
- 1235-1247 Gender, social mobility and psychiatric diagnoses
by Timms, Duncan
1998, Volume 46, Issue 8
- 939-945 A modified framework for rural general practice: The importance of recruitment and retention
by Humphreys, John S. & Rolley, Frances
- 947-958 Representing doctors: discourses and images in the Australian press
by Lupton, Deborah & McLean, Jane
- 959-969 Porque me tocó a mi ? Mexican American diabetes patients' causal stories and their relationship to treatment behaviors
by Hunt, Linda M. & Valenzuela, Miguel A. & Pugh, Jacqueline A.
- 971-979 The influence of households on drinking behaviour: a multilevel analysis
by Rice, Nigel & Carr-Hill, Roy & Dixon, Paul & Sutton, Matthew
- 981-993 The "three delays" as a framework for examining maternal mortality in Haiti
by Barnes-Josiah, Debora & Myntti, Cynthia & Augustin, Antoine
- 995-1009 Health and health expenditures in adjusting and non-adjusting countries
by van der Gaag, Jacques & Barham, Tania
- 1011-1016 Which terminally ill cancer patients receive hospice in-patient care?
by Addington-Hall, Julia & Altmann, Dan & McCarthy, Mark
- 1017-1025 Equity is out of fashion? An essay on autonomy and health policy in the individualized society
by Lindbladh, Eva & Lyttkens, Carl Hampus & Hanson, Bertil S. & Östergren, P. -O.
- 1027-1031 The demand for prehospital emergency services in an aging society
by McConnel, Charles E. & Wilson, Rosemary W.
- 1033-1041 Psychological distress and well-being among traumatized Palestinian women during the intifada
by Khamis, Vivian
- 1043-1056 Competing discourses of vital registration and personhood: perspectives from rural South Africa
by Jewkes, Rachel & Wood, Katharine
- 1057-1066 Education and self-care activities among persons with rheumatoid arthritis
by Katz, Patricia P.
- 1067-1076 Women's decision-making in prenatal screening
by Santalahti, Päivi & Hemminki, Elina & Latikka, Anne-Maria & Ryynänen, Markku
- 1077-1085 Gender differences in marital support following a shared life event
by Edwards, Angela C. & Nazroo, James Y. & Brown, George W.
- 1087-1093 Reductions in hospital use from self management training for chronic asthmatics
by Ghosh, C. S. & Ravindran, P. & Joshi, M. & Stearns, Sally C.
1998, Volume 46, Issue 7
- 785-798 Wealth, equity and health care: a critique of a "population health" perspective on the determinants of health
by Poland, Blake & Coburn, David & Robertson, Ann & Eakinand members of the Critical Social Science Group, Joan
- 799-810 Perceptions and priorities in disease eradication: Dracunculiasis eradication in Africa
by Watts, Susan
- 811-819 An Ancient Scourge: The End Of Dracunculiasis In Egypt
by Watts, Susan
- 821-829 Supplemental health insurance ownership in Israel: An empirical analysis and some implications
by Shmueli, Amir
- 831-842 Community empowerment paradigm drift and the primary prevention of HIV/AIDS
by Beeker, Carolyn & Guenther-Grey, Carolyn & Raj, Anita
- 843-858 Community representatives: Representing the "community"?
by Jewkes, Rachel & Murcott, Anne
- 859-867 The importance of place for older people moving into care homes
by Reed, Jan & Roskell Payton, Valerie & Bond, Senga
- 869-878 "Loss of self" in the narratives of people with traumatic brain injuries: A qualitative analysis
by Nochi, Masahiro
- 879-889 An ethnographic study of night blindness "ratauni" among women in the Terai of Nepal
by Christian, Parul & Bentley, Margaret E. & Pradhan, Rajendra & West, Keith P.
- 891-899 Infertility in the Gambia: frequency and health care seeking
by Sundby, Johanne & Mboge, Reuben & Sonko, Sheriff
- 901-906 Gender differences in consulting a general practitioner for common symptoms of minor illness
by Wyke, Sally & Hunt, Kate & Ford, Graeme
- 907-918 The social construction of the breast cancer epidemic
by Lantz, Paula M. & Booth, Karen M.
- 919-928 Knowledge and information about ADHD: Evidence of cultural differences among African-American and white parents
by Bussing, Regina & Schoenberg, Nancy E. & Perwien, Amy R.
- 929-933 Can raters consistently evaluate the content of focus groups?
by Weinberger, Morris & Ferguson, Jeffrey A. & Westmoreland, Glenda & Mamlin, Lorrie A. & Segar, Douglas S. & Eckert, George J. & Greene, James Y. & K. Martin, Douglas & Tierney, William M.
1998, Volume 46, Issue 6
- 627-629 Seven up--refreshing medical geography: an introduction to selected papers from the Seventh International Symposium in Medical Geography, Portsmouth, U.K
by Moon, Graham & Gould, Myles & Jones, Kelvyn
- 631-639 Over the hill and far away: distance as a barrier to the provision of assistance to elderly relatives
by Joseph, Alun E. & Hallman, Bonnie C.
- 641-659 Intellectual intersections: gender and health in the Pacific
by Lewis, Nancy Davis
- 661-672 Cultural constraints on the delivery of HIV/AIDS prevention in Ireland
by Smyth, Fiona
- 673-681 Tuberculosis mortality in England and Wales during 1982-1992: its association with poverty, ethnicity and AIDS
by Elender, Frances & Bentham, Graham & Langford, Ian
- 683-693 Hypothesized foetal and early life influences on adult heart disease mortality: an ecological analysis of data for the Republic of Ireland
by Pringle, D. G.
- 695-702 Multi-drug resistant tuberculosis in Finland--a forecast
by Löytönen, Markku & Maasilta, Paula
- 703-717 Geographical variation in attitudes towards smoking: findings from the COMMIT communities
by Ross, Nancy A. & Taylor, S. Martin
- 719-727 The public health risks of Lyme disease in Breckland, U.K.: an investigation of environmental and social factors
by Mawby, Tracey V. & Lovett, Andrew A.
- 729-741 The problem of atopic eczema: aetiological clues from the environment and lifestyles
by McNally, N. J. & Phillips, D. R. & Williams, H. C.
- 743-753 Pathways of dependence: the impact of health and social care restructuring--the voluntary experience
by Milligan, Christine
- 755-765 The study of human behavior and schistosomiasis transmission in an irrigated area in Morocco
by Watts, S. & Khallaayoune, K. & Bensefia, R. & Laamrani, H. & Gryseels, B.
- 767-781 Alfred Haviland's nineteenth-century map analysis of the geographical distribution of diseases in England and Wales
by Barrett, Frank A.
1998, Volume 46, Issue 3
- 299-311 Some politico-economic aspects of organ shortage in transplantation medicine
by Obermann, Konrad
- 313-320 HIV/AIDS-related social anxieties in adolescents in three African countries
by Venier, Jennifer L. & Ross, Michael W. & Akande, Adebowale
- 321-330 Is there evidence for behaviour change in response to AIDS in rural Zimbabwe?
by Gregson, Simon & Zhuwau, Tom & Anderson, Roy M. & Chandiwana, Stephen K.
- 331-344 Climate change, thermal stress and mortality changes
by Martens, W. J. M.
- 345-355 Perceived access to care and medication use among ambulatory elderly in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
by Miralles, Maria A. & Kimberlin, Carole L.
- 357-367 Contracting for health services in New Zealand: A transaction cost analysis
by Ashton, Toni
- 369-379 Grief, parenting, and schizophrenia
by Davis, Daniel J. & Schultz, Cynthia L.
- 381-395 Analyses of use of tranquilizers and sleeping pills across five surveys of the same population (1985-1991): The relationship with gender, age and use of other substances
by Graham, Kathryn & Vidal-Zeballos, David
- 397-402 Type A behavior intervention in primary health care reduces hostility and time pressure: A study in Sweden
by Karlberg, Lena & Krakau, Ingvar & Undén, Anna-Lena
- 403-414 Maternal employment, child care, and nutritional status of 12-18-month-old children in Managua, Nicaragua
by Lamontagne, Jessica F. & Engle, Patrice L. & Zeitlin, Marian F.
- 415-424 Comparison of medical and nursing attitudes to resuscitation and patient autonomy between a British and an American teaching hospital
by Mello, Michelle & Jenkinson, Crispin
- 425-435 A longitudinal study of health selection in marital transitions
by Joung, Inez M. A. & van de Mheen, H. Dike & Stronks, Karien & van Poppel, Frans W. A. & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 437-444 Embodied risk: My body, myself?
by Kavanagh, Anne M. & Broom, Dorothy H.
- 445-458 Genetic screening and haemoglobinopathies: Ethics, politics and practice
by Atkin, Karl & Ahmad, Waqar I. U.
1998, Volume 46, Issue 2
- 151-156 Beyond empowerment: Heterosexualities and the prevention of AIDS
by Giffin, K.
- 157-169 Drug users' sexual relationships and the social organisation of risk: The sexual relationship as a site of risk management
by Rhodes, Tim & Quirk, Alan
- 171-179 Reproductive choices among HIV-positive women
by Bedimo, Ariane Lisann & Bessinger, Ruth & Kissinger, Patricia
- 181-191 The Gambian National Impregnated Bednet Programme: Costs, consequences and net cost-effectiveness
by Aikins, Moses Kweku & Fox-Rushby, Julia & D'Alessandro, Umberto & Langerock, Patricia & Cham, Kabir & New, Laura & Bennett, Steve & Greenwood, Brian & Mills, Anne
- 193-207 Declining professional dominance?: Trends in the proletarianisation of primary care in New Zealand
by Barnett, J. Ross & Barnett, Pauline & Kearns, Robin A.
- 209-225 What do sequential behavioral patterns suggest about the medical decision-making process?: Modeling home case management of acute illnesses in a rural Cameroonian village
by Ryan, Gery W.
- 227-242 The tradeoff between price and quality of services in the Philippines
by Hotchkiss, David R.
- 243-254 The health effects of major organisational change and job insecurity
by Ferrie, Jane E. & Shipley, Martin J. & Marmot, Michael G. & Stansfeld, Stephen & Smith, George Davey
- 255-273 Ethical and social issues in prenatal sex selection: A survey of geneticists in 37 nations
by Wertz, Dorothy C. & Fletcher, John C.
- 275-286 How people get into mental health services: Stories of choice, coercion and "muddling through" from "first-timers"
by Pescosolido, Bernice A. & Gardner, Carol Brooks & Lubell, Keri M.
- 287-297 Perceived risks associated with mental illness: Beyond homicide and suicide
by Ryan, Tony
1998, Volume 46, Issue 1
- 1-12 Helicopters, hearts and hips: Using willingness to pay to set priorities for public sector health care programmes
by Olsen, Jan Abel & Donaldson, Cam
- 13-21 The challenge to restoring basic health care in Uganda
by Okello, D. O. & Lubanga, R. & Guwatudde, D. & Sebina-Zziwa, A.
- 23-28 The end of professionalism?
by Southon, Gray & Braithwaite, Jeffrey
- 29-38 An economic perspective on policy to reduce antimicrobial resistance
by Coast, J. & Smith, R. D. & Millar, M. R.
- 39-51 Regulating the cancer-inducing potential of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: Some lessons from the 1970s and 1980s
by Abraham, John
- 53-58 Causal webs, preventive brooms, and housekeepers
by Robertson, Leon S.
- 59-71 The association between the organization of medical practice and primary care physician attitudes and practice orientations
by Ubokudom, Sunday E.
- 73-81 Situational factors and attitudes toward voluntary euthanasia
by Macdonald, William L.
- 83-95 Dispensing doctors and prescribing pharmacists: A South African perspective
by Gilbert, Leah
- 97-117 Context, composition and heterogeneity: Using multilevel models in health research
by Duncan, Craig & Jones, Kelvyn & Moon, Graham
- 119-129 Accounts of disagreements with doctors
by Annandale, Ellen & Hunt, Kate
- 131-136 In-house referral: Changing general practitioners' roles in the referral of patients to secondary care
by Maggs-Rapport, Frances & Kinnersley, Paul & Owen, Penny
- 137-144 Social inequalities in morbidity from diabetes mellitus in public primary care clinics in Trinidad and Tobago
by Gulliford, Martin C. & Mahabir, Deepak
1997, Volume 45, Issue 12
- 1757-1766 Indicators of socio-economic position and their relation to mortality in Sweden
by Sundquist, Jan & Johansson, Sven-Erik
- 1767-1779 Factors associated with antibiotic prescribing in a managed care setting: An exploratory investigation
by Lambert, Bruce L. & Salmon, J. Warren & Stubbings, Joann & Gilomen-Study, Gina & Valuck, Robert J. & Kezlarian, Kim
- 1781-1788 Investigating stress effect patterns in hospital staff nurses: Results of a cluster analysis
by Hillhouse, Joel J. & Adler, Christine M.
- 1789-1804 Cultural eactors constraining the introduction of family planning among the Kassena-Nankana of Northern Ghana
by Adongo, Philip B. & Phillips, James F. & Kajihara, Beverly & Fayorsey, Clara & Debpuur, Cornelius & Binka, Fred N.
- 1805-1809 Does psychological distress contribute to racial and socioeconomic disparities in mortality?
by Fiscella, Kevin & Franks, Peter
- 1811-1828 Familial and socioeconomic influences on children's well-being: An examination of preschool children in Kenya
by Gage, Anastasia J.
- 1829-1843 Patient satisfaction: A review of issues and concepts
by Sitzia, John & Wood, Neil
- 1845-1852 Professionalism, patient satisfaction and quality of health care: Experience during Zimbabwe's structural adjustment programme
by Bassett, Mary Travis & Bijlmakers, Leon & Sanders, David M.
- 1853-1862 An ecological paradigm for a health behavior analysis of "Konzo", a paralytic disease of Zaire from toxic cassava
by Boivin, Michael J.
- 1863-1873 "Survivors" and "victims": Long-term HIV positive individuals and the ethos of self-empowerment
by Crossley (neéDavies), Michele L.
- 1875-1884 Sterilization in Finland: From eugenics to contraception
by Hemminki, Elina & Rasimus, Anja & Forssas, Erja
- 1885-1898 Women's health status and gender inequality in China
by Yu, Mei-Yu & Sarri, Rosemary
- 1899-1899 Letter to the editor
by Hebert, James R
1997, Volume 45, Issue 11
- 1607-1613 Reproductive characteristics and post-abortion health consequences in women undergoing illegal and legal abortion in Maputo
by Machungo, Fernanda & Zanconato, Giovanni & Bergström, Staffan
- 1615-1629 Health complaints and job stress in Norwegian physicians: The use of an overlapping questionnaire design
by Aasland, Olaf G. & Olff, Miranda & Falkum, Erik & Schweder, Tore & Ursin, Holger
- 1631-1639 Essential obstetric care: Assessment and determinants of quality
by Adeyi, Olusoji & Morrow, Richard
- 1641-1652 The comparability and reliability of five health-state valuation methods
by Krabbe, Paul F. M. & Essink-Bot, Marie-Louise & Bonsel, Gouke J.
- 1653-1659 Constant and decreasing timing aversion for saving lives
by Cairns, John & Van der Pol, Marjon
- 1661-1668 The limits of suffering: Critical care nurses' views of hospital care at the end of life
by Asch, David A. & Shea, Judy A. & Jedrziewski, M. Kathryn & Bosk, Charles L.
- 1669-1678 Paradoxes of GP fundholding: Contracting for community health services in the British National Health Service
by Williams, Gareth & Flynn, Rob & Pickard, Susan
- 1679-1704 Infertility and psychological distress: A critical review of the literature
by Greil, Arthur L.
- 1705-1713 Motivation underlying career choice for internal medicine and surgery
by Williams, Geoffrey C. & Saizow, Ronald & Ross, Lisa & Deci, Edward L.
- 1715-1727 Wishes regarding the use of life-sustaining treatments among elderly persons in Israel: An explanatory model
by Carmel, Sara & Mutran, Elizabeth
- 1729-1739 "I just cope from day to day": Unpredictability and anxiety in the lives of women
by Walters, Vivienne & Charles, Nickie
- 1741-1749 Emergent perplexity: In search of post-normal questions for community and agroecosystem health
by Waltner-Toews, David & Wall, Ellen
1997, Volume 45, Issue 10
- 1465-1482 Undercover careseekers: Simulated clients in the study of health provider behavior in developing countries
by Madden, J. M. & Quick, J. D. & Ross-Degnan, D. & Kafle, K. K.
- 1483-1491 Images of health and health care options among low income women in Punjab, Pakistan
by Winkvist, Anna & Akhtar, Humaira Zareen
- 1493-1501 Developing community mental health services for children in South Africa
by Pillay, A. L. & Lockhat, M. R.
- 1503-1517 A study of the breast cancer dynamics in North Carolina
by Christakos, George & Lai, Jaim-Jou
- 1519-1525 Collecting retrospective data: Accuracy of recall after 50 years judged against historical records
by Berney, L. R. & Blane, D. B.
- 1527-1536 Ageing and the relationship between functional status and self-rated health in elderly men
by Hoeymans, N. & Feskens, E. J. M. & Kromhout, D. & Van Den Bos, G. A. M.
- 1537-1539 Unintended effects of a cost-containment policy: Results of a natural experiment in Germany
by Schöffski, Oliver & von der Schulenburg, J. Matthias Graf
- 1541-1548 Decision-making and hormone replacement therapy: A qualitative analysis
by Hunter, Myra S. & O'Dea, Irene & Britten, Nicky
- 1549-1562 Health-related behaviours and psycho-social characteristics of 18 year-old Australians
by Milligan, R. A. K. & Burke, V. & Beilin, L. J. & Richards, J. & Dunbar, D. & Spencer, M. & Balde, E. & Gracey, M. P.
- 1563-1570 Suicide: Qualitative data from focus group interviews with youth
by Coggan, Carolyn & Patterson, Pam & Fill, Jacqui
- 1571-1579 The rise and rise of proton pump inhibitor drugs: Patients' perspectives
by Boath, Elizabeth H. & Blenkinsopp, Alison
- 1581-1587 Sex differences in prescribed medications: Another case of discrimination in general practice
by Sayer, Geoffrey P. & Britt, Helena
- 1589-1596 Health and gender differences between middle and senior managers in the Canadian Public Service
by Tomiak, Monica & Gentleman, Jane F. & Jette, Maurice
- 1597-1599 Letter to the editor
by Barnhoorn, Florie & Van Der Geest, Sjaak
1997, Volume 45, Issue 9
- 1315-1323 Thermometer use among Mexican immigrant mothers in California
by Schwartz, Norah & Guendelman, Sylvia & English, Paul
- 1325-1336 The relationship between condition-specific morbidity, social support and material deprivation in pregnancy and early motherhood
by Baker, Deborah & Taylor, Hazel & The Alspac Survey Team
- 1337-1355 Making sense of randomization; responses of parents of critically ill babies to random allocation of treatment in a clinical trial
by Snowdon, Claire & Garcia, Jo & Elbourne, Diana
- 1357-1376 Psychological and social predictors of motorcycle use by young adult males in New Zealand
by Reeder, A. I. & Chalmers, D. J. & Marshall, S. W. & Langley, J. D.
- 1377-1386 Opportunities and impediments for a consolidating and expanding profession: Genetic counseling in the United States
by Kenen, Regina H.
- 1387-1397 Marital status effects on health: Are there differences between never married women and divorced and separated women?
by Waldron, Ingrid & Weiss, Christopher C. & Hughes, Mary Elizabeth
- 1399-1409 Early probable Alzheimer's Disease and Awareness Context Theory
by Hutchinson, Sally A. & Leger-Krall, Sue & Wilson, Holly Skodol
- 1411-1421 "We decide, you carry it out": A social network analysis of multidisciplinary long-term care teams
by Cott, Cheryl
- 1423-1431 From careless consumptives to recalcitrant patients: The historical construction of noncompliance
by Lerner, Barron H.
- 1433-1447 The effects of the cultural context of health care on treatment of and response to chronic pain and illness
by Bates, Maryann S. & Rankin-Hill, Lesley & Sanchez-Ayendez, Melba
- 1449-1458 The significance of the mouth in old age
by Macentee, Michael I. & Hole, Rachelle & Stolar, Elaine
1997, Volume 45, Issue 8
- 1143-1145 Violence and well-being
by Desjarlais, Robert & Kleinman, Arthur
- 1147-1160 Gender, domestic violence and sickness in Mexico
by Finkler, Kaja
- 1161-1176 Domestic violence and mental health: Correlates and conundrums within and across cultures
by Fischbach, Ruth L. & Herbert, Barbara
- 1177-1188 Friends, neighbors, enemies, strangers: Aggressor and victim in civilian ethnic riots
by Tambiah, Stanley J.
- 1189-1197 Adolescents and violence: "Adults are cruel, they just beat, beat, beat!"
by Ramphele, M. A.
- 1199-1205 Physician judgments of chronic pain patients
by Tait, Raymond C. & Chibnall, John T.
- 1207-1221 Positive psychological states and coping with severe stress
by Folkman, Susan
- 1223-1229 The treatment of insomnia through mass media, the results of a televised behavioural training programme
by Oosterhuis, A. & Klip, E. C.
- 1231-1239 Does intelligence account for the link between maternal literacy and child survival?
by Sandiford, P. & Cassel, J. & Sanchez, G. & Coldham, C.
- 1241-1249 Cultural orientation and use of cannabis and inhalants among secondary school children in Zimbabwe
by Eide, Arne H. & Acuda, S. W.
- 1251-1264 Social stress and trauma: Synthesis and spatial analysis
by Harries, Keith
- 1265-1276 Russian medical care in the 1990s: A user's perspective
by Brown, Julie V. & Rusinova, Nina L.
- 1277-1288 Reactance theory and patient noncompliance
by Fogarty, Jeanne S.
- 1289-1297 Valuing health status using VAS and TTO: What lies behind the numbers?
by Robinson, Angela & Dolan, Paul & Williams, Alan
- 1299-1309 Dimensions of quality of life expressed by men treated for metastatic prostate cancer
by Clark, Jack A. & Wray, Nelda & Brody, Baruch & Ashton, Carol & Giesler, Brian & Watkins, Herbert
1997, Volume 45, Issue 7
- 973-977 The economic cost of homicide in New Zealand
by Fanslow, Janet & Coggan, Carolyn & Miller, Brent & Norton, Robyn
- 979-989 Why women say yes to prenatal diagnosis
by Press, Nancy & Browner, C. H.
- 991-1004 Pneumonia perceptions and management: An ethnographic study in urban squatter settlements of Karachi, Pakistan
by Hussain, Rafat & Lobo, Melvyn A. & Inam, Bazmi & Khan, Amanullah & Qureshi, Asma Fozia & Marsh, David
- 1005-1015 "Painting a Leonardo with finger paint": Medical practitioners communicating about death with Aboriginal people
by Weeramanthri, Tarun
- 1017-1029 Caregiving: A common or uncommon experience?
by Howe, Anna L. & Schofield, Hilary & Herrman, Helen
- 1031-1040 Infant mortality among various nationalities in the middle part of Guizhou, China
by Huang, Wenyong & Yu, Huachun & Wang, Fuying & Li, Guanchong
- 1041-1049 Modern medicine and the "uncertain body": From corporeality to hyperreality?
by Williams, Simon J.
- 1051-1063 Quality of life and social production functions: A framework for understanding health effects
by Ormel, Johan & Lindenberg, Siegwart & Steverink, Nardi & Vonkorff, Michael
- 1065-1074 Traditional medicine in contemporary Ghana: A public policy analysis
by Tsey, Komla
- 1075-1087 The "race" concept in smoking: A review of the research on African Americans
by King, Gary
- 1089-1098 Urban small area variation in adolescents' health behaviour
by Karvonen, Sakari & Rimpelä, Arja H.
- 1099-1110 Perceived work conditions and work-related symptoms among employed Finns
by Räsänen, Kimmo & Notkola, Veijo & Husman, Kaj
- 1111-1120 Chronic work stress, sickness absence, and hypertension in middle managers: General or specific sociological explanations?
by Peter, Richard & Siegrist, Johannes
- 1121-1127 The relationship of income inequality to mortality: Does the choice of indicator matter?
by Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P.
- 1129-1133 Contingent legitimacy: U.K. alternative practitioners and inter-sectoral acceptance
by Tovey, Philip
- 1135-1138 Role concepts and expectations of physicians and nurses in hospitals
by Verschuren, P. J. M. & Masselink, H.
1997, Volume 45, Issue 6
- 803-809 Male mortality differentials by socio-economic group in Ireland
by O'Shea, Eamon
- 811-825 The black box in somatization: Unexplained physical symptoms, culture, and narratives of trauma
by Waitzkin, Howard & Magaña, Holly
- 827-836 Level of education, age of bearing children and mental health of women
by Williams, Sheila & McGee, Rob & Olaman, Susan & Knight, Robert
- 837-845 The legitimacy of grieving: The partner's experience at miscarriage
by Puddifoot, John E. & Johnson, Martin P.
- 847-858 Healthy or druggy? Self-image, ideal image and smoking behaviour among young people
by Amos, Amanda & Gray, David & Currie, Candace & Elton, Rob
- 859-866 The influence of socioeconomic status on health service utilisation by patients with AIDS in North Italy
by Tramarin, A. & Campostrini, S. & Tolley, K. & De Lalla, F.
- 867-877 Mutual influences of health and poverty evidence from German panel data
by Thiede, Michael & Traub, Stefan
- 879-885 Validating a satisfaction questionnaire using multiple approaches: A case study
by Etter, Jean-François & Perneger, Thomas V.
- 887-892 The ethics of euthanasia--Attitudes and practice among Norwegian physicians
by Førde, Reidun & Aasland, Olaf Gjerløw & Falkum, Erik
- 893-902 People, places and coronary heart disease risk factors: A multilevel analysis of the Scottish heart health study archive
by Hart, Carole & Ecob, Russell & Smith, George Davey
- 903-914 The socio-spatial stigmatization of homelessness and HIV/AIDS: Toward an explanation of the NIMBY syndrome
by Takahashi, Lois M.
- 915-923 The physical costs of AIDS caregiving
by Leblanc, Allen J. & London, Andrew S. & Aneshensel, Carol S.
- 925-936 Choosing a birth attendant: The influence of a woman's childbirth definition
by Howell-White, Sandra