Social Science & Medicine
March 2002, Volume 54, Issue 6
- 971-980 Body image and physical disability--personal perspectives
by Taleporos, George & McCabe, Marita P
- 981-991 The impact of hospices on health care expenditures--the case of Taiwan
by Lo, Joan C.
March 2002, Volume 54, Issue 5
- 643-647 Introduction to 'social and economic patterning of women's health in a changing world'
by Arber, Sara & Khlat, Myriam
- 649-661 Gender equity and socioeconomic inequality: a framework for the patterning of women's health
by Moss, Nancy E.
- 663-676 A generation apart? Gender-related experiences and health in women in early and late mid-life
by Hunt, Kate
- 677-692 The influence of work, household structure, and social, personal and material resources on gender differences in health: an analysis of the 1994 Canadian National Population Health Survey
by Walters, Vivienne & McDonough, Peggy & Strohschein, Lisa
- 693-706 Investigating socio-economic explanations for gender and ethnic inequalities in health
by Cooper, Helen
- 707-726 Women's health status in Poland in the transition to a market economy
by Wróblewska, Wiktoria
- 727-740 Multiple roles and health among British and Finnish women: the influence of socioeconomic circumstances
by Lahelma, Eero & Arber, Sara & Kivelä, Katariina & Roos, Eva
- 741-752 Combining a job and children: contrasting the health of married and divorced women in the Netherlands?
by Fokkema, Tineke
- 753-765 Women's work and health in Iran: a comparison of working and non-working mothers
by Ahmad-Nia, Shirin
- 767-782 Chronic stress and the social patterning of women's health in Canada
by McDonough, Peggy & Walters, Vivienne & Strohschein, Lisa
- 783-798 The importance of low control at work and home on depression and anxiety: do these effects vary by gender and social class?
by Griffin, Joan M. & Fuhrer, Rebecca & Stansfeld, Stephen A. & Marmot, Michael
- 799-810 Socio-economic gradients in psychological distress: a focus on women, social roles and work-home characteristics
by Matthews, Sharon & Power, Chris
- 811-825 How gender affects patterns of social relations and their impact on health: a comparison of one or multiple sources of support from "close persons"
by Fuhrer, R. & Stansfeld, S. A.
- 827-838 Place and personal circumstances in a multilevel account of women's long-term illness
by Wiggins, R. D. & Joshi, H. & Bartley, M. & Gleave, S. & Lynch, K. & Cullis, A.
- 839-848 Charting a course for the future of women's health in the United States: concepts, findings and recommendations
by Strobino, Donna M. & Grason, Holly & Minkovitz, Cynthia
February 2002, Volume 54, Issue 4
- 481-492 The contribution of gender-role orientation, work factors and home stressors to psychological well-being and sickness absence in male- and female-dominated occupational groups
by Evans, Olga & Steptoe, Andrew
- 493-504 Factors determining inpatient satisfaction with care
by Nguyen Thi, Phi Linh & Briancon, S. & Empereur, F. & Guillemin, F.
- 505-518 Sister cities and easy passage: HIV, mobility and economies of desire in a Thai/Lao border zone
by Lyttleton, Chris & Amarapibal, Amorntip
- 519-527 Altruistic willingness to pay in community-based sales of insecticide-treated nets exists in Nigeria
by Onwujekwe, Obinna & Chima, Reginald & Shu, Elvis & Nwagbo, Douglas & Akpala, Cyril & Okonkwo, Paul
- 529-544 Companions through cancer: : the care given by informal carers in cancer contexts
by Thomas, Carol & Morris, Sara M. & Harman, Juliet C.
- 545-559 Inequalities in the transition of cerebrovascular disease mortality in New South Wales, Australia 1969-1996
by Burnley, Ian H. & Rintoul, Duncan
- 561-576 Letting the Gini out of the bottle? Challenges facing the relative income hypothesis
by Ellison, George T. H.
- 577-589 Income, income inequality and health: what can we learn from aggregate data?
by Gravelle, Hugh & Wildman, John & Sutton, Matthew
- 591-605 Gender similarities in doctors' preferences -- and gender differences in final specialisation
by Gjerberg, Elisabeth
- 607-619 Worlds apart: a comparison between physical activities among youth in Glasgow, Scotland and Dunedin, New Zealand
by West, Patrick & Reeder, Anthony I. & Milne, Barry J. & Poulton, Richie
- 621-624 Gender differences in mental health: evidence from three organisations
by Emslie, Carol & Fuhrer, Rebecca & Hunt, Kate & Macintyre, Sally & Shipley, Martin & Stansfeld, Stephen
- 625-642 Reproductive rights and the state in Serbia and Croatia
by Shiffman, Jeremy & Skrabalo, Marina & Subotic, Jelena
February 2002, Volume 54, Issue 3
- 323-324 Health policy: drawing on a "global laboratory"
by Davis, Peter
- 325-337 HIV risk environment for Ghanaian women: challenges to prevention
by Mill, Judy E. & Anarfi, John K.
- 339-347 Is nondirectiveness possible within the context of antenatal screening and testing?
by Williams, Clare & Alderson, Priscilla & Farsides, Bobbie
- 349-361 'The thief of womanhood': women's experience of polycystic ovarian syndrome
by Kitzinger, Celia & Willmott, Jo
- 363-376 Physiognomy, familism and consumerism: preferences among Jewish-Israeli recipients of donor insemination
by Birenbaum-Carmeli, Daphna & Carmeli, Yoram S.
- 377-386 Health care switching behaviour of malaria patients in a Kenyan rural community
by Nyamongo, I. K.
- 387-397 Use of indigenous and indigenised medicines to enhance personal well-being: a South African case study
by Cocks, Michelle & Møller, Valerie
- 399-409 The doctor as God's mechanic? Beliefs in the Southeastern United States
by Mansfield, Christopher J. & Mitchell, Jim & King, Dana E.
- 411-422 A social and demographic study of Tibetan refugees in India
by Bhatia, Shushum & Dranyi, Tsegyal & Rowley, Derrick
- 423-432 Tuberculosis among Tibetan refugees in India
by Bhatia, Shushum & Dranyi, Tsegyal & Rowley, Derrick
- 433-443 Dignity in the terminally ill: a developing empirical model
by Chochinov, Harvey Max & Hack, Thomas & McClement, Susan & Kristjanson, Linda & Harlos, Mike
- 445-457 'The cold hard facts' immunisation and vaccine preventable diseases in Australia's newsprint media 1993-1998
by Leask, Julie & Chapman, Simon
- 459-467 Socio-cultural implications of changing organizational technologies in the provision of care
by Mechanic, David
- 469-479 Transparency and selfhood:: Utopia and the informed body
by Chrysanthou, Marc
January 2002, Volume 54, Issue 2
- 165-178 Women's social networks and child survival in Mali
by Adams, Alayne M. & Madhavan, Sangeetha & Simon, Dominique
- 179-192 Women who sell sex in a Ugandan trading town: life histories, survival strategies and risk
by Gysels, Marjolein & Pool, Robert & Nnalusiba, Betty
- 193-204 The reproductive and occupational health of women street vendors in Johannesburg, South Africa
by Pick, William M. & Ross, Mary H. & Dada, Yasmin
- 205-220 The decline of female circumcision in Egypt: evidence and interpretation
by El-Gibaly, Omaima & Ibrahim, Barbara & Mensch, Barbara S. & Clark, Wesley H.
- 221-228 Severity of musculoskeletal pain: relations to socioeconomic inequality
by Brekke, Mette & Hjortdahl, Per & Kvien, Tore K.
- 229-244 "Tooth worms", poverty tattoos and dental care conflicts in Northeast Brazil
by Nations, Marilyn K. & Nuto, Sharmênia de Araújo Soares
- 245-254 Historical trends of survival among widows and widowers
by Mineau, Geraldine P. & Smith, Ken R. & Bean, Lee L.
- 255-266 A socio-legal and economic analysis of contracting in the NHS internal market using a case study of contracting for district nursing
by Allen, Pauline
- 267-279 Dual job holding practitioners in Bangladesh: an exploration
by Gruen, Reinhold & Anwar, Raqibul & Begum, Tahmina & Killingsworth, James R. & Normand, Charles
- 281-293 Responsibility and cancer disclosure in Japan
by Elwyn, Todd S. & Fetters, Michael D. & Sasaki, Hiroki & Tsuda, Tsukasa
- 295-308 Constructing an account by contrast in counselling for childhood genetic testing
by Sarangi, Srikant & Clarke, Angus
- 309-317 Immigrants from Chernobyl-affected areas in Israel: the link between health and social adjustment
by Remennick, L. I.
January 2002, Volume 54, Issue 1
- 1-10 Gender and outpatient mental health service use
by Rhodes, Anne E. & Goering, Paula N. & To, Teresa & Williams, J. Ivan
- 11-21 Listening to respondents: : a qualitative assessment of the Short-Form 36 Health Status Questionnaire
by Mallinson, Sara
- 23-31 Quality of registration of maternal deaths in Mozambique: a community-based study in rural and urban areas
by Songane, Francisco Ferreira & Bergström, Staffan
- 33-48 Cultural change and mental health in Greenland: the association of childhood conditions, language, and urbanization with mental health and suicidal thoughts among the Inuit of Greenland
by Bjerregaard, Peter & Curtis, Tine
- 49-64 Health care for the elderly: two cases of technology diffusion
by Dozet, Alexander & Lyttkens, Carl Hampus & Nystedt, Paul
- 65-77 Metropolitan area income inequality and self-rated health--a multi-level study
by Blakely, Tony A. & Lochner, Kimberly & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 79-91 An imperfect refuge: : life in an 'old folk's home' for younger residents with psychiatric disorders
by Jervis, Lori L.
- 93-104 Smoking and quitting: a qualitative study with community-living psychiatric clients
by Lawn, Sharon J. & Pols, Rene G. & Barber, James G.
- 105-117 Health-seeking behavior of Karachi women with reproductive tract infections
by Ishaq Bhatti, Lubna & Fikree, Fariyal F.
- 119-132 Characterization of household food insecurity in Québec: food and feelings
by Hamelin, Anne-Marie & Beaudry, Micheline & Habicht, Jean-Pierre
- 133-146 Compensating behaviors, regret, and heterogeneity in the dynamics of smoking behavior
by Xu, K. Tom
- 147-159 HIV serostatus and factors related to physical and mental well-being in Latina family AIDS caregivers
by Land, Helen & Hudson, Sharon
December 2001, Volume 53, Issue 12
- 1575-1585 Using an interactive framework of society and lifecourse to explain self-rated health in early adulthood
by Hertzman, Clyde & Power, Chris & Matthews, Sharon & Manor, Orly
- 1587-1597 An investigation into the cyclical incidence of dengue fever
by Keating, Joseph
- 1599-1609 Accessibility and spatial distribution of general practice services in an Australian city by levels of social disadvantage
by Hyndman, Jilda C. G. & Holman, C. D'Arcy J.
- 1611-1619 What determines health? To where should we shift resources? : Attitudes towards the determinants of health among multiple stakeholder groups in Prince Edward Island, Canada
by Eyles, John & Brimacombe, Michael & Chaulk, Paul & Stoddart, Greg & Pranger, Tina & Moase, Olive
- 1621-1630 Health behaviour, risk awareness and emotional well-being in students from Eastern Europe and Western Europe
by Steptoe, Andrew & Wardle, Jane
- 1631-1640 Cataract surgery in a community hospital outreach clinic: patients' costs and satisfaction
by Haynes, Robin & Gale, Susan & Mugford, Miranda & Davies, Peter
- 1641-1651 Determinants of general practitioner use among women in Australia
by Young, Anne F. & Dobson, Annette J. & Byles, Julie E.
- 1653-1666 Family effects on self-reported health among Russian wives and husbands
by Cubbins, Lisa A. & Szaflarski, Magdalena
- 1667-1681 The main determinants of infant mortality in Nepal
by Suwal, Juhee V.
- 1683-1696 Risk factors and child mortality among the Miao in Yunnan, Southwest China
by Foggin, Peter & Armijo-Hussein, Nagib & Marigaux, Céline & Zhu, Hui & Liu, Zeyuan
- 1697-1710 When the bough breaks: provider-initiated comprehensive care is more effective and less expensive for sole-support parents on social assistance
by Browne, Gina & Byrne, Carolyn & Roberts, Jacqueline & Gafni, Amiram & Whittaker, Susan
- 1711-1719 Deprivation and mortality: the implications of spatial autocorrelation for health resources allocation
by Lorant, Vincent & Thomas, Isabelle & Deliège, Denise & Tonglet, René
- 1721-1732 Medical audit: threat or opportunity for the medical profession. A comparative study of medical audit among medical specialists in general hospitals in the Netherlands and England, 1970-1999
by Herk, R. van & Klazinga, N. S. & Schepers, R. M. J. & Casparie, A. F.
December 2001, Volume 53, Issue 11
- 1413-1426 Determinants of HIV risk among Indian truck drivers
by Bryan, Angela D. & Fisher, Jeffrey D. & Joseph Benziger, T.
- 1427-1438 The death of a Princess and the formulation of medical competence
by Nurok, Michael
- 1439-1453 The role of cultural and economic determinants in mortality decline in the Netherlands, 1875/1879-1920/1924: a regional analysis
by Wolleswinkel-van den Bosch, J. H. & van Poppel, F. W. A. & Looman, C. W. N. & Mackenbach, J. P.
- 1455-1460 Male complications of female genital mutilation
by Almroth, Lars & Almroth-Berggren, Vanja & Mahmoud Hassanein, Osman & Salah Eldin Al-Said, Said & Siddiq Alamin Hasan, Sharif & Lithell, Ulla-Britt & Bergström, Staffan
- 1461-1468 Promoting travel clinic referrals: exploring partnerships for healthier travel
by MacDougall, Laura & Gyorkos, Theresa
- 1469-1479 Assessing mental capacity in Canadian Aboriginal seniors
by Cattarinich, Xavier & Gibson, Nancy & Cave, Andrew J.
- 1481-1490 Legal abortion: a painful necessity
by Kero, A. & Högberg, U. & Jacobsson, L. & Lalos, A.
- 1491-1502 Third sector primary care for vulnerable populations
by Crampton, Peter & Dowell, Anthony & Woodward, Alistair
- 1503-1511 Spirituality and well-being: an exploratory study of the patient perspective
by Daaleman, Timothy P. & Cobb, Ann Kuckelman & Frey, Bruce B.
- 1513-1524 Sources of support and the physical and mental well-being of young women with breast cancer
by Bloom, Joan R. & Stewart, Susan L. & Johnston, Monica & Banks, Priscilla & Fobair, Patricia
- 1525-1539 Women's health in a rural setting in societal transition in Ethiopia
by Berhane, Y. & Gossaye, Y. & Emmelin, M. & Hogberg, U.
- 1541-1556 Staying healthy: the salience and meaning of health maintenance behaviors among rural older adults in North Carolina
by Arcury, Thomas A. & Quandt, Sara A. & Bell, Ronny A.
November 2001, Volume 53, Issue 10
- 1261-1273 Consequences of disease: testing the WHO International Classification of Impairments, Disabilities and Handicaps (ICIDH) model
by Johnston, Marie & Pollard, Beth
- 1275-1285 A psychometric analysis of the measurement level of the rating scale, time trade-off, and standard gamble
by Cook, Karon F. & Ashton, Carol M. & Byrne, Margaret M. & Brody, Baruch & Geraci, Jane & Giesler, R. Brian & Hanita, Makoto & Souchek, Julianne & Wray, Nelda P.
- 1287-1301 Psycho-social determinants for sexual partner referral in Uganda: Quantitative results
by Nuwaha, F. & Faxelid, E. & Wabwire-Mangen, F. & Eriksson, C. & Höjer, B.
- 1303-1320 La Familia: methodological issues in the assessment of perinatal social support for Mexicanas living in the United States
by Clark, Lauren
- 1321-1334 Language acquisition, unemployment and depressive disorder among Southeast Asian refugees: a 10-year study
by Beiser, Morton & Hou, Feng
- 1335-1350 Relationship between outpatients' perceptions of physicians' communication styles and patients' anxiety levels in a Japanese oncology setting
by Takayama, Tomoko & Yamazaki, Yoshihiko & Katsumata, Noriyuki
- 1351-1362 Lifestyle incongruity, social integration, and immune function in Samoan adolescents
by McDade, Thomas W.
- 1363-1372 Care seeking in Sri Lanka: one possible explanation for low childhood mortality
by Amarasiri de Silva, M. W. & Wijekoon, Ananda & Hornik, Robert & Martines, Jose
- 1373-1381 General subjective health status or age-related subjective health status: does it make a difference?
by Baron-Epel, Orna & Kaplan, Giora
- 1383-1396 "No strength": sex and old age in a rural town in Ghana
by van der Geest, Sjaak
November 2001, Volume 53, Issue 9
- 1115-1124 Cluster and regional influences on suicide in a Southwestern American Indian tribe
by Wissow, Lawrence S. & Walkup, John & Barlow, Allison & Reid, Raymond & Kane, Scott
- 1125-1134 Hong Kong Chinese daughters' intergenerational caregiving obligations: : a cultural model approach
by Holroyd, Eleanor
- 1135-1148 Infant care practices in New Zealand: a cross-cultural qualitative study
by Abel, Sally & Park, Julie & Tipene-Leach, David & Finau, Sitaleki & Lennan, Michele
- 1149-1162 Equity of access to health care services: : Theory and evidence from the UK
by Goddard, Maria & Smith, Peter
- 1163-1174 Gendered embodiment and survival for young people with cystic fibrosis
by Willis, Evan & Miller, Rosemary & Wyn, Johanna
- 1175-1189 Public health responses for skin cancer prevention: the policy framing of Sun Safety in Australia, Canada and England
by Garvin, Theresa & Eyles, John
- 1191-1204 Health needs of the Roma population in the Czech and Slovak Republics
by Koupilová, Ilona & Epstein, Helen & Holcík, Jan & Hajioff, Steve & McKee, Martin
- 1205-1215 Exposure, resistance, and recovery: a three-dimensional framework for the study of mortality from infectious disease
by Kirby, James B.
- 1217-1225 From salvation to civics: service to the sick in nursing discourse
by Nelson, Sioban
- 1227-1236 Life disruption and generic complexity: a social linguistic analysis of narratives of cancer illness
by Jordens, Christopher F. C. & Little, Miles & Paul, Kim & Sayers, Emma-Jane
- 1237-1246 Cross-cultural surveys of adolescent health and behavior: progress and problems
by Michaud, Pierre-André & Blum, Robert W. & Slap, Gail B.
- 1247-1257 Accommodation, resistance and transcendence: three narratives of autism
by Gray, David E.
October 2001, Volume 53, Issue 8
- 989-1002 When protocols fail: technical evaluation, biomedical knowledge, and the social production of 'facts' about a telemedicine clinic
by May, Carl & Ellis, Nicola T.
- 1003-1009 A study of demographic changes under sustained below-replacement fertility in Hong Kong SAR
by Yip, Paul S. F. & Lee, Joseph & Chan, Beda & Au, Jade
- 1011-1021 'They've forgotten that I'm the mum': constructing and practising motherhood in special care nurseries
by Lupton, Deborah & Fenwick, Jennifer
- 1023-1036 Demand for health care in Denmark: results of a national sample survey using contingent valuation
by Gyldmark, Marlene & Morrison, Gwendolyn C.
- 1037-1043 Using time-series analyses to detect the health effects of medical care reforms: : a Norwegian example
by Catalano, Ralph & Hansen, Hans-Tore
- 1045-1056 Utilisation of private care by public primary care clinic attenders with diabetes: : relationship to health status and social factors
by Gulliford, Martin C. & Mahabir, Deepak
- 1057-1066 Is hospital case management a rationalized myth?
by Roggenkamp, Susan D. & White, Kenneth R.
- 1067-1080 'Smoke like a man, die like a man'?: A review of the relationship between gender, sex and lung cancer
by Payne, Sarah
- 1081-1094 Medicine betrayed: hemophilia patients and HIV in the US
by Keshavjee, Salmaan & Weiser, Sheri & Kleinman, Arthur
- 1095-1112 Mot Luuk problems in northeast Thailand: why women's own health concerns matter as much as disease rates
by Boonmongkon, Pimpawun & Nichter, Mark & Pylypa, Jen
October 2001, Volume 53, Issue 7
- 845-863 Navigating the time-space context of HIV and AIDS: : daily routines and access to care
by Takahashi, Lois M. & Wiebe, Douglas & Rodriguez, Rigoberto
- 865-878 Gender and health services use for a mental health problem
by Albizu-Garcia, Carmen E. & Alegría, Margarita & Freeman, Daniel & Vera, Mildred
- 879-894 Adoption of smart cards in the medical sector: : the Canadian experience
by Aubert, Benoit A. & Hamel, Geneviève
- 895-913 Innovation and regulation in human implant technologies: developing comparative approaches
by Faulkner, Alex & Kent, Julie
- 915-925 Social deprivation, income inequality, social cohesion and dental caries in Brazilian school children
by Pattussi, Marcos Pascoal & Marcenes, Wagner & Croucher, Ray & Sheiham, Aubrey
- 927-941 In their own words: a model of healthy aging
by Bryant, Lucinda L. & Corbett, Kitty K. & Kutner, Jean S.
- 943-955 The reprofessionalisation of community pharmacy? An exploration of attitudes to extended roles for community pharmacists amongst pharmacists and General Practioners in the United Kingdom
by Edmunds, June & Calnan, Michael W.
- 957-967 The effects of sex and age of responders on the reliability of self-diagnosed infection: a study of self-reported urinary schistosomiasis in Tanzanian school children
by Ansell, Juliet & Guyatt, Helen & Hall, Andrew & Kihamia, Charles & Bundy, Donald
- 969-970 Estimating the employment and earnings costs of mental illness--recent developments in the United States, Marcotte and Wilcox-Gok
by Koopmanschap, Marc A.
September 2001, Volume 53, Issue 6
- 693-706 The dilemma of "to-be or not-to-be": needs and expectations of the Taiwanese cadaveric organ donor families during the pre-donation transition
by Shih, Fu-Jin & Lai, Ming-Kuen & Lin, Min-Heuy & Lin, Hui-Ying & Tsao, Chuan-I & Duh, Bau-Ruei & Chu, Shu-Hsun
- 707-719 Ethical issues and the importance of consensus for the intensive care team
by Melia, Kath M.
- 721-732 Decisions about treatment: interpretations of two measures of control by women having a hysterectomy
by Entwistle, Vikki A. & Skea, Zoë C. & O'Donnell, Máire T.
- 733-743 Post-modernity and post-traumatic stress disorder
by Bracken, Patrick J.
- 745-757 Understanding the role of opinion leaders in improving clinical effectiveness
by Locock, Louise & Dopson, Sue & Chambers, David & Gabbay, John
- 759-771 Marital fertility in Lebanon: a study based on the population and housing survey
by Beydoun, May A.
- 773-774 Health and variation in deprivation: commentary on Boyle et al
by Houghton, Frank T
- 775-775 Reply to commentary: health and variation in deprivation
by Boyle, Paul J & Gatrell, Anthony C & Duke-Williams, Oliver
- 777-793 Understanding the role of contextual influences on local health-care decision making: case study results from Ontario, Canada
by Abelson, Julia
- 795-799 Do area-level population change, deprivation and variations in deprivation affect individual-level self-reported limiting long-term illness?
by Boyle, Paul J. & Gatrell, Anthony C. & Duke-Williams, Oliver
- 801-816 On the methodological, theoretical and philosophical context of health inequalities research: a critique
by Forbes, Angus & Wainwright, Steven P.
- 817-830 Does class matter? SES and psychosocial health among Hungarian adolescents
by Piko, Bettina & Fitzpatrick, Kevin M.
September 2001, Volume 53, Issue 5
- 553-567 Feminism meets the "new" epidemiologies: toward an appraisal of antifeminist biases in epidemiological research on women's health
by Inhorn, Marcia C. & Whittle, K. Lisa
- 569-578 Comorbid depressive symptomatology: isolating the effects of chronic medical conditions on self-reported depressive symptoms among community-dwelling older adults
by Mills, Terry L.
- 579-591 Neighbourhood and family influences on the cognitive ability of children in the British National Child Development Study
by McCulloch, Andrew & Joshi, Heather E.
- 593-602 Anxious adults vs. cool children: children's views on smoking and addiction
by Rugkåsa, Jorun & Knox, Barbara & Sittlington, Julie & Kennedy, Orla & Treacy, Margaret P. & Abaunza, Pilar Santos
- 603-614 Sense of coherence and school-related stress as predictors of subjective health complaints in early adolescence: interactive, indirect or direct relationships?
by Torsheim, Torbjorn & Aaroe, Leif Edvard & Wold, Bente
- 615-626 Living a 'normal' life: young people coping with thalassaemia major or sickle cell disorder
by Atkin, Karl & Ahmad, Waqar I. U.
- 627-638 Down's syndrome: cost, quality and value of life
by Alderson, Priscilla
- 639-656 Closing medical encounters: two physician practices and their implications for the expression of patients' unstated concerns
by Robinson, Jeffrey D.
- 657-667 Male physicians' narratives about being in ethically difficult care situations in paediatrics
by V, Sørlie & Førde, R. & Lindseth, A. & Norberg, A.
- 669-677 Taking responsibility for cancer treatment
by Deadman, J. M. & Leinster, S. J. & Owens, R. G. & Dewey, M. E. & Slade, P. D.
- 679-691 Declining the offer of flexible sigmoidoscopy screening for bowel cancer: : a qualitative investigation of the decision-making process
by McCaffery, Kirsten & Borril, Jo & Williamson, Sara & Taylor, Tamara & Sutton, Stephen & Atkin, Wendy & Wardle, Jane
August 2001, Volume 53, Issue 4
- 405-421 Organ donation and family decision-making within the Spanish donation system
by Martínez, José M. & López, Jorge S. & Martín, Antonio & Martín, María J. & Scandroglio, Barbara & Martín, José M.
- 423-440 Children's emotional and behavioural well-being and the family environment: findings from the Health Survey for England
by McMunn, Anne M. & Nazroo, James Y. & Marmot, Michael G. & Boreham, Richard & Goodman, Robert
- 441-453 Debt, social disadvantage and maternal depression
by Reading, Richard & Reynolds, Shirley
- 455-464 Chinese seniors' perspectives on end-of-life decisions
by Bowman, Kerry W. & Singer, Peter A.
- 465-476 Perceptions of illness causation among new referrals to a community mental health team: "explanatory model" or "exploratory map"?
by Williams, Brian & Healy, David
- 477-485 The socioeconomic position of employed women, risk factors and mortality
by Heslop, Pauline & Davey Smith, George & Macleod, John & Hart, Carole
- 487-505 Giving voice to the lifeworld. More humane, more effective medical care? A qualitative study of doctor-patient communication in general practice
by Barry, Christine A. & Stevenson, Fiona A. & Britten, Nicky & Barber, Nick & Bradley, Colin P.
- 507-518 Variations in general practitioners' views of asthma management in four European countries
by Wahlström, R. & Lagerløv, P. & Stålsby Lundborg, C. & Veninga, C. C. M. & Hummers-Pradier, E. & Dahlgren, L. O. & Denig, P.
- 519-529 The convergence of vulnerable characteristics and health insurance in the US
by Shi, Leiyu
- 531-542 Legalized, regulated, but unfunded: midwifery's laborious professionalization in Alberta, Canada, 1975-99
by McKendry, Rachael & Langford, Tom
August 2001, Volume 53, Issue 3
- 265-275 A hierarchical analysis of long-term illness and mortality in socially deprived areas
by Malmström, Marianne & Johansson, SvenErik & Sundquist, Jan
- 277-292 Children's behaviour and the urban environment: an ecological analysis
by LeClair, James A.
- 293-303 Do high levels of unemployment influence the health of those who are not unemployed? A gendered comparison of young men and women during boom and recession
by Novo, Mehmed & Hammarström, Anne & Janlert, Urban
- 305-320 Unemployment and psychosocial adjustment in young adults: causation or selection?
by Fergusson, David M. & John Horwood, L. & Woodward, Lianne J.
- 321-332 Health psychology and the study of the case: from method to analytic concern
by Radley, Alan & Chamberlain, Kerry
- 333-348 Evaluation of community-based rehabilitation for disabled persons in developing countries
by Evans, P. J. & Zinkin, P. & Harpham, T. & Chaudury, G.
- 349-356 British psychiatry in the 20th century -- observations from a psychiatric journal
by Moncrieff, Joanna & Crawford, M. J.
- 357-369 Physician-patient communication about over-the-counter medications
by Sleath, Betsy & Rubin, Richard H. & Campbell, William & Gwyther, Lisa & Clark, Trina
- 371-382 Sexual cleansing (Kusalazya) and levirate marriage (Kunjilila mung'anda) in the era of AIDS: changes in perceptions and practices in Zambia
by Malungo, J. R. S.
- 383-392 Determinants of the intention of Dutch adolescents to register as organ donors
by Reubsaet, Astrid & van den Borne, Bart & Brug, Johannes & Pruyn, Jean & van Hooff, Hans
- 393-397 Sex selection in practice among Hong Kong Chinese
by Wong, S. F. & Ho, L. C.
July 2001, Volume 53, Issue 2
- 153-164 Anthropological perspectives on alcohol and drugs at the turn of the new millennium
by Marshall, Mac & Ames, Genevieve M. & Bennett, Linda A.
- 165-188 Socio-cultural anthropology and alcohol and drug research: : towards a unified theory
by Hunt, Geoffrey & Barker, Judith C.
- 189-198 Intoxication and bad behaviour: understanding cultural differences in the link
by Room, Robin
- 199-213 Toward a bio-cultural and political economic integration of alcohol, tobacco and drug studies in the coming century
by Singer, Merrill
- 215-226 Assessing alcohol consumption: developments from qualitative research methods
by Strunin, Lee
- 227-240 Culture and the restoration of self among former American Indian drinkers
by Spicer, Paul
- 241-250 "These young chaps think they are just men, too": redistributing masculinity in Kgatleng bars
by Suggs, David N.
- 251-262 "Take my water": : liberation through prohibition in San Pedro Chenalhó, Chiapas, Mexico
by Eber, Christine
July 2001, Volume 53, Issue 1
- 1-8 Social deprivation and psychiatric service use for different diagnostic groups
by Peen, Jaap & Dekker, Jack
- 9-19 Does the state you live in make a difference? Multilevel analysis of self-rated health in the US
by Subramanian, S. V. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P.
- 21-27 Estimating the employment and earnings costs of mental illness: recent developments in the United States
by Marcotte, Dave E. & Wilcox-Gök, Virginia
- 29-40 Socioeconomic disparities in health change in a longitudinal study of US adults: the role of health-risk behaviors
by Lantz, Paula M. & Lynch, John W. & House, James S. & Lepkowski, James M. & Mero, Richard P. & Musick, Marc A. & Williams, David R.
- 41-53 Models of acculturation and health behaviors among Latino immigrants to the US
by Arcia, E. & Skinner, M. & Bailey, D. & Correa, V.
- 55-70 Defining the "urban" in urbanization and health: a factor analysis approach
by McDade, Thomas W. & Adair, Linda S.
- 71-81 Casuistry as bioethical method: an empirical perspective
by Braunack-Mayer, Annette
- 83-97 Intrahousehold resource allocation and child growth in Mozambique: an ethnographic case-control study
by Pfeiffer, James & Gloyd, Stephen & Li, Lucy Ramirez
- 99-121 Condom use, power and HIV/AIDS risk: sex-workers bargain for survival in Hillbrow/Joubert Park/Berea, Johannesburg
by Wojcicki, Janet Maia & Malala, Josephine
- 123-133 What do women want? Women's experiences of infertility treatment
by Malin, Maili & Hemminki, Elina & Räikkönen, Outi & Sihvo, Sinikka & Perälä, M-L
- 135-145 The social context of health selection: a longitudinal study of health and employment
by McDonough, Peggy & Amick, Benjamin C.
June 2001, Volume 52, Issue 12
- 1763-1775 Developing socio-spatial knowledge networks: : a qualitative methodology for chronic disease prevention
by Cravey, Altha J. & Washburn, Sarah A. & Gesler, Wilbert M. & Arcury, Thomas A. & Skelly, Anne H.
- 1777-1791 The impacts of distance to hospital on families with a child with a chronic condition
by Yantzi, Nicole & Rosenberg, Mark W. & Burke, Sharon O. & Harrison, Margaret B.
- 1793-1804 Impact of rural hospital closures in Saskatchewan, Canada
by Liu, Liyan & Hader, Joanne & Brossart, Bonnie & White, Robin & Lewis, Steven
- 1805-1813 Orientations to motherhood and male partner support among women in Mexico and Mexican-origin women in the United States
by Guendelman, Sylvia & Malin, Christina & Herr-Harthorn, Barbara & Noemi Vargas, Patricia