Social Science & Medicine
1998, Volume 47, Issue 10
- 1445-1453 The learning curve: Health education in STI clinics in South Africa
by Reddy, Priscilla & Meyer-Weitz, Anna & van den Borne, Bart & Kok, Gerjo & Weijts, Wies
- 1455-1462 Injections and self-help: risk and trust in Ugandan health care
by Birungi, Harriet
- 1463-1472 Perception of the social support role of the extended family network by some Nigerians with schizophrenia and affective disorders
by Ohaeri, Jude U.
- 1473-1484 Family responses to HIV/AIDS in Mexico
by Castro, Roberto & Orozco, Emanuel & Aggleton, Peter & Eroza, Enrique & Hernández, Juan Jacobo
- 1485-1494 Liminality: a major category of the experience of cancer illness
by Little, Miles & Jordens, Christopher FC & Paul, Kim & Montgomery, Kathleen & Philipson, Bertil
- 1495-1501 The holistic health movement in the San Francisco Bay Area: Some preliminary observations
by Baer, Hans A. & Hays, John & McClendon, Nicole & McGoldrick, Neil & Vespucci, Raffella
- 1503-1512 Stress and low birth weight: A structural modeling approach using real life stressors
by Sheehan, T. Joseph
- 1513-1527 Analyzing the decentralization of health systems in developing countries: decision space, innovation and performance
by Bossert, Thomas
- 1529-1538 Towards equity in health in an unequal society
by Bloom, Gerald & McIntyre, Diane
- 1539-1545 From practice to research: The case for criticism in an age of evidence
by Berkwits, Michael
- 1547-1554 Risk and the general practitioner budget holder
by Martin, Stephen & Rice, Nigel & Smith, Peter C.
- 1555-1564 The ethics of resource allocation: the views of general practitioners in Lincolnshire, U.K
by Baines, Darrin L. & Tolley, Keith H. & Whynes, David K.
- 1565-1572 A holistic approach to the economic evaluation of health programs using institutionalist methodology
by Jan, Stephen
- 1573-1588 A systematic review of the literature on patient priorities for general practice care. Part 1: Description of the research domain
by Wensing, Michel & Jung, Hans Peter & Mainz, Jan & Olesen, Frede & Grol, Richard
- 1589-1599 The effects of political and economic transitions on health and safety in Estonia: An Estonian-Swedish comparative study
by Kaasik, Taie & Andersson, Ragnar & Hörte, Lars-Gunnar
- 1601-1609 A revised measure of symptom-specific health care use
by Baker, David W. & Shapiro, Martin F. & Schur, Claudia L. & Freeman, Howard
- 1611-1617 The correspondence of patient satisfaction and nurse burnout
by Leiter, Michael P. & Harvie, Phyllis & Frizzell, Cindy
- 1619-1625 Ethics of resource allocation in developing countries: The case of Sri Lanka
by Jayasinghe, K. S. A. & De Silva, D. & Mendis, N. & Lie, R. K.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 9
- 1135-1145 Assignments of meaning in epidemiology
by Little, Miles
- 1147-1153 "Death by proxy": Ethics and classification in epidemiology
by Plant, Aileen J. & Rushworth, R. Louise
- 1155-1159 Is imposing risk awareness cultural imperialism?
by FØrde, Olav Helge
- 1161-1169 The ethics of attribution: The case of health care outcome indicators
by Russell, Elizabeth
- 1171-1180 "Communitarian claims" as an ethical basis for allocating health care resources
by Mooney, Gavin
- 1181-1188 Social capital and health: Implications for public health and epidemiology
by Lomas, Jonathan
- 1189-1195 Ethics, epidemiology and the thrifty gene: biological determinism as a health hazard
by McDermott, Robyn
- 1197-1208 A tale of two (low prevalence) cities: social movement organisations and the local policy response to HIV/AIDS
by Petchey, Roland & Williams, Jacky & Farnsworth, Bill & Starkey, Ken
- 1209-1222 Inequalities in the transition of ischaemic heart disease mortality in New South Wales, Australia, 1969-1994
by Burnley, I. H.
- 1223-1230 Towards quality of care in child health programmes: a challenge for the partnership in health and social sciences
by Kanani, Shubhada
- 1231-1246 Childhood conditions that predict survival to advanced ages among African-Americans
by Preston, Samuel H. & Hill, Mark E. & Drevenstedt, Greg L.
- 1247-1261 Higher earnings, bursting trains and exhausted bodies: the creation of travelling psychosis in post-reform China
by Lee, Sing
- 1263-1266 Mexican use of lead in the treatment of empacho: Community, clinic, and longitudinal patterns
by Baer, Roberta D. & Garcia De Alba, Javier & Mares Leal, Rosa & Plascencia Campos, Ana Rosa & Goslin, Neill
- 1267-1276 Doctor talk and diabetes: towards an analysis of the clinical construction of chronic illness
by Loewe, Ronald & Schwartzman, John & Freeman, Joshua & Quinn, Laurie & Zuckerman, Steve
- 1277-1288 Social class and health: The puzzling counter-example of British South Asians
by Williams, Rory & Wright, William & Hunt, Kate
- 1289-1294 Cancer truth disclosure by Lebanese doctors
by Hamadeh, Ghassan N. & Adib, Salim M.
- 1295-1306 Probabilities and health risks: a qualitative approach
by Heyman, Bob & Henriksen, Mette & Maughan, Karen
- 1307-1312 The sick building syndrome: a diagnostic dilemma
by Thörn, Åke
- 1313-1323 The meaning and management of neuroleptic medication: a study of patients with a diagnosis of schizophrenia
by Rogers, Anne & Day, Jennifer C. & Williams, Brian & Randall, Fiona & Wood, Pamela & Healy, David & Bentall, Richard P.
- 1325-1329 Accidents, assaults, and marital status
by Cheung, Yin-Bun
- 1331-1339 Class differences in the food rules mothers impose on their children: a cross-national study
by Hupkens, Christianne L. H. & Knibbe, Ronald A. & van Otterloo, Anneke H. & Drop, Maria J.
- 1341-1349 From reviving the living to raising the dead; the making of cardiac resuscitation
by Bains, Jatinder
- 1351-1359 The meaning of patient satisfaction: An explanation of high reported levels
by Williams, Brian & Coyle, Joanne & Healy, David
- 1361-1371 Spousal caregivers' activity restriction and depression: A model for changes over time
by Nieboer, A. P. & Schulz, R. & Matthews, K. A. & Scheier, M. F. & Ormel, J. & Lindenberg, S. M.
- 1373-1381 The fake patient: A research experiment in a Ghanaian hospital
by van der Geest, Sjaak & Sarkodie, Samuel
- 1383-1387 Becoming a doctor -- Was it the wrong career choice?
by Hyppölä, Harri & Kumpusalo, Esko & Neittaanmäki, Liisa & Mattila, Kari & Virjo, Irma & Kujala, Santero & Luhtala, Riitta & Halila, Hannu & Isokoski, Mauri
1998, Volume 47, Issue 8
- 993-1004 Hungry earth and vengeful stars: soul loss and identity in the Peruvian Andes
by Greenway, Christine
- 1005-1015 Environment, vulnerability, and gender in Andean ethnomedicine
by Larme, Anne C.
- 1017-1030 Assessing variation in health status in the Andes: a biocultural model
by Oths, Kathryn S.
- 1031-1041 Changing biocultural perspectives on health in the Andes
by Leatherman, Thomas
- 1043-1049 Medical, law, and business students' perceptions of the changing health care system
by Wilkes, Michael & Coulter, Ian & Hurwitz, Eric
- 1051-1066 A novel method for studying population health impacts of spatiotemporal ozone distribution
by Christakos, George & Vyas, Vikram M.
- 1067-1076 A ship upon a stormy sea: The medicalization of pregnancy
by Barker, K. K.
- 1077-1087 Which aspects of general practitioners' behaviour determine patients' evaluations of care?
by Jung, H. P. & Van Horne, F. & Wensing, M. & Hearnshaw, H. & Grol, R.
- 1089-1099 Buying safety: The economics of reproductive risk and abortion in Egypt
by Lane, Sandra D. & Madut Jok, Jok & El-Mouelhy, Mawaheb T.
- 1101-1111 Women's health care work in comparative perspective: Canada, Sweden and Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic as case examples
by Benoit, Cecilia & Heitlinger, Alena
- 1113-1120 The relationship of community quality to the health of women and men
by Molinari, Carol & Ahern, Melissa & Hendryx, Michael
- 1121-1130 Social mobility and 21Â year mortality in a cohort of Scottish men
by Hart, Carole L. & Davey Smith, George & Blane, David
1998, Volume 47, Issue 7
- 841-852 Stigma associated with onchocercal skin disease among those affected near the Ofiki and Oyan rivers in Western Nigeria
by Brieger, William R. & Oshiname, Frederick O. & Ososanya, Oladele O.
- 853-863 A conceptual model of the food and nutrition system
by Sobal, Jeffery & Kettel Khan, Laura & Bisogni, Carole
- 865-875 Reframing the meaning of disability to families: the embrace of paradox
by Larson, Elizabeth
- 877-889 R. D. Laing and the British anti-psychiatry movement: a socio-historical analysis
by Crossley, Nick
- 891-898 The use of equipoise in clinical trials
by Chard, J. A. & Lilford, R. J.
- 899-909 Uptake of contraception during postpartum amenorrhoea: Understandings and preferences of poor, urban women in Bangladesh
by Salway, Sarah & Nurani, Sufia
- 911-926 Risk, motives, and styles of utilization review: A cross-condition comparison
by Wolff, Nancy & Schlesinger, Mark
- 927-939 A survey of the Hong Kong health sector: Past, present and future
by Gauld, Robin D. C.
- 941-947 "Why don't they come to Pike street and ask us"?: Black American women's health concerns
by Freedman, Tovia G.
- 949-959 Family planning policies and programmes in eight low-income countries: A comparative policy analysis
by Lee, Kelley & Lush, Louisiana & Walt, Gill & Cleland, John
- 961-971 Resident characteristics and organizational factors influencing the quality of drug use in Swedish nursing homes
by Schmidt, Ingrid & Claesson, Cecilia B. & Westerholm, Barbro & Svarstad, Bonnie L.
- 973-981 Living in a housing co-operative for low income women: Issues of identity, environment and control
by Wasylishyn, Christine & Johnson, Joy L.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 6
- 697-712 Cognitive assessment and health education in children from two different cultures
by Sivaramakrishnan, Malathi & Arocha, José F. & Patel, Vimla L.
- 713-725 The natural life of policy indices: geographical problem areas in the U.S. and U.K
by Taylor, Donald H.
- 727-737 Determinants of dental care use in dentate adults: Six-monthly use during a 24-month period in the Florida dental care study
by Gilbert, Gregg H. & Duncan, R. Paul & Vogel, W. Bruce
- 739-753 A conceptual model of independence and dependence for adults with chronic physical illness and disability
by Gignac, Monique A. M. & Cott, Cheryl
- 755-764 Asthma and domestic air quality
by Jones, A. P.
- 765-777 Social network characteristics as mediators in the relationship between sexual abuse and HIV risk
by Miller, Maureen & Paone, Denise
- 779-794 Pharmacies, self-medication and pharmaceutical marketing in Bombay, India
by Kamat, Vinay R. & Nichter, Mark
- 795-808 Third World medicine in First World cities: capital accumulation, uneven development and public health
by Whiteis, David G.
- 809-819 The occupational integration of former Soviet physicians in Israel
by Bernstein, Judith H. & Shuval, Judith T.
- 821-830 Personal constitution and health status among Chinese elderly in Taipei and Los Angeles
by Lew-Ting, Chih-yin & Hurwicz, Margo-Lea & Berkanovic, Emil
- 831-840 Racial differences in functional status among elderly U.S. migrants from the south
by Kington, Raynard & Carlisle, David & McCaffrey, Dan & Myers, Hector & Allen, Walter
1998, Volume 47, Issue 5
- 555-564 Negotiating reproduction and gender during the fertility decline in Turkey
by Angin, Zeynep & Shorter, Frederic C.
- 565-579 Place of death and access to home care services: are certain patient groups at a disadvantage?
by Grande, G. E. & Addington-Hall, J. M. & Todd, C. J.
- 581-593 Well-being of haemophilia patients: a model for direct and indirect effects of medical parameters on the physical and psychosocial functioning
by Triemstra, A. H. M. & Van der Ploeg, H. M. & Smit, C. & Briët, E. & Adèr, H. J. & Rosendaal, F. R.
- 595-601 Patients' reactions to attempts to increase passive or active coping with surgery
by Peerbhoy, Denise & Hall, George M. & Parker, Christopher & Shenkin, Alan & Salmon, Peter
- 603-611 Direct and indirect effects of chronic physical conditions on depression: A preliminary investigation
by Vilhjalmsson, Runar
- 613-620 Disparity of medical care utilization among different health insurance schemes in Taiwan
by Cheng, Shou-Hsia & Chiang, Tung-Liang
- 621-634 Distinguishing between chronic and nonchronic fatigue, the role of gender and age
by Van Mens-Verhulst, Janneke & Bensing, Jozien
- 635-643 Social relations and mortality. An eleven year follow-up study of 70-year-old men and women in Denmark
by Avlund, Kirsten & Damsgaard, Mogens Trab & Holstein, BjØrn E.
- 645-656 Recognizing the reversible nature of child-feeding decisions: Breastfeeding, weaning, and relactation patterns in a shanty town community of Lima, Peru
by Marquis, Grace S. & Díaz, Judith & Bartolini, Rosario & Creed de Kanashiro, Hilary & Rasmussen, Kathleen M.
- 657-664 Smoking and smoking cessation among men whose partners are pregnant: a qualitative study
by Wakefield, Melanie & Reid, Yolande & Roberts, Lyn & Mullins, Robyn & Gillies, Pamela
- 665-675 Factors related to physical activity: a study of adolescents
by Vilhjalmsson, Runar & Thorlindsson, Thorolfur
- 677-691 Service use by family caregivers in Japan
by Yamamoto, Noriko & Wallhagen, Margaret I.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 4
- 419-428 Development of mental health services in Tanzania: A reappraisal for the future
by Kilonzo, G. P. & Simmons, N.
- 429-443 Mortality decline in The Netherlands in the period 1850-1992: A turning point analysis
by Wolleswinkel-van den Bosch, Judith H. & van Poppel, Frans W. A. & Tabeau, Ewa & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 445-453 General practice in urban and rural Europe: The range of curative services
by Boerma, Wienke G. W. & Groenewegen, Peter P. & Van der Zee, Jouke
- 455-468 Female physicians in Mexico: Migration and mobility in the lifecourse
by Harrison, Margaret E.
- 469-476 Residential segregation and mortality in New York City
by Fang, Jing & Madhavan, Shantha & Bosworth, William & Alderman, Michael H.
- 477-486 Child feeding and care behaviors are associated with xerophthalmia in rural Nepalese households
by Gittelsohn, Joel & Shankar, Anita V. & West, Keith P. & Faruque, Faisal & Gnywali, Tara & Pradhan, Elizabeth K.
- 487-496 General practitioners' attributions of fatigue
by De Rijk, Angelique E. & Schreurs, Karlein M. G. & Bensing, Jozien M.
- 497-506 Practice nurses and the effects of the new general practitioner contract in the British NHS: The advent of a professional project?
by Broadbent, Jane
- 507-517 Managerialism and active citizenship in Britain's reformed health service: power and community in an era of decentralisation
by Milewa, Timothy & Valentine, Justin & Calnan, Michael
- 519-523 Doctors' attitudes to acupuncture -- a Norwegian study
by Norheim, Arne Johan & FØnnebØ, Vinjar
- 525-533 Social inequality in coronary heart disease: a comparison of occupational classifications
by Chandola, Tarani
- 535-545 Paradigms of retirement: the importance of health and ageing in the whitehall ii study
by Mein, G. & Higgs, P. & Ferrie, J. & Stansfeld, S. A.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 3
- 287-301 A review of relationships between active living and determinants of health
by Frankish, C. James & Milligan, C. Dawne & Reid, Colleen
- 303-315 Socioeconomic inequalities in health expectancy in Finland and Norway in the late 1980s
by Sihvonen, Ari-Pekka & Kunst, Anton E. & Lahelma, Eero & Valkonen, Tapani & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 317-327 The health and welfare effects of day-care: A systematic review of randomised controlled trials
by Zoritch, B. & Roberts, I. & Oakley, A.
- 329-339 Patient participation in decision-making
by Guadagnoli, Edward & Ward, Patricia
- 341-346 Physicians' prescribing behaviour for diarrhoea in children: An ethnoepidemiological study in southern Brazil
by Béria, Jorge U. & Damiani, Magda F. & dos Santos, Iná S. & Lombardi, Cintia
- 347-354 The physician-patient encounter: The physician as a perfect agent for the patient versus the informed treatment decision-making model
by Gafni, Amiram & Charles, Cathy & Whelan, Tim
- 357-369 Educational level and adult mortality in Russia: An analysis of routine data 1979 to 1994
by Shkolnikov, Vladimir M. & Leon, David A. & Adamets, Sergey & Eugeniy Andreev & Deev, Alexander
- 371-379 Attitudes towards helminthic infection in the Jirel population of eastern Nepal
by Williams-Blangero, S. & Subedi, J. & Upadhayay, R. P. & Manral, D. B. & Khadka, K. & Jirel, S. & Robinson, E. S. & Blangero, J.
- 381-394 What does quality mean to lay people? Community perceptions of primary health care services in Guinea
by Haddad, Slim & Fournier, Pierre & Machouf, Nimâ & Yatara, Fassinet
- 395-403 "Alone, I wouldn't have known what to do":A qualitative study on social supportduring labor and delivery in Mexico
by Campero, Lourdes & García, Cecilia & Díaz, Carmen & Ortiz, Olivia & Reynoso, Sofía & Langer, Ana
- 405-410 Guinea worm disease - a chance for successful eradication in the Volta region, Ghana
by Diamenu, Stanley K. & Nyaku, Albertha A.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 2
- 153-164 Pharmacy's attempts to extend its roles: A case study in South Africa
by Gilbert, Leah
- 165-179 Patterns of visits to hospital-based emergency rooms
by Béland, François & Lemay, Anne & Boucher, Marcel
- 181-193 Women in general practice: Responding to the sexual division of labour?
by Brooks, Fiona
- 195-202 The meanings of tuberculosis for Mexican migrant farmworkers in the United States
by Poss, Jane E.
- 203-211 Cost-effectiveness of strategies to market and train primary health care physicians in brief intervention techniques for hazardous alcohol use
by Gomel, Michelle K. & Wutzke, Sonia E. & Hardcastle, Deborah M. & Lapsley, Helen & Reznik, Robert B.
- 213-222 Valuing temporary and chronic health states associated with breast screening
by Johnston, Katharine & Brown, Jackie & Gerard, Karen & O'Hanlon, Moira & Morton, Alison
- 223-232 Mandatory pooling as a supplement to risk-adjusted capitation payments in a competitive health insurance market
by van Barneveld, Erik M. & Lamers, Leida M. & van Vliet, René C. J. A. & van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M.
- 233-242 "He forced me to love him": putting violence on adolescent sexual health agendas
by Wood, Katharine & Maforah, Fidelia & Jewkes, Rachel
- 243-253 Health appraisal models in multiple sclerosis
by Roberts, Greg & Stuifbergen, Alexa K.
- 255-267 Can prostitutes marry? Thai attitudes toward female sex workers
by Peracca, Sara & Knodel, John & Saengtienchai, Chanpen
- 269-279 Socioeconomic factors, perceived control and self-reported health in Russia. A cross-sectional survey
by Bobak, Martin & Pikhart, Hynek & Hertzman, Clyde & Rose, Richard & Marmot, Michael
1998, Volume 47, Issue 1
- 1-6 Are geographic regions with high income inequality associated with risk of abdominal weight gain?
by Kahn, Henry S. & Tatham, Lilith M. & Pamuk, Elsie R. & Heath, Clark W.
- 7-17 Social capital, income inequality, and firearm violent crime
by Kennedy, Bruce P. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Prothrow-Stith, Deborah & Lochner, Kimberly & Gupta, Vanita
- 19-23 Intra-urban differentials in death rates from homicide in the city of São Paulo, Brazil,1988-1994
by Barata, Rita Barradas & Sampaio de Almeida Ribeiro, Manoel Carlos & Lauretti da Silva Guedes, Marilda Braga & Cássio de Moraes, José
- 25-31 Occupation and unemployment rates as predictors of long term sickness absence in two Swedish counties
by Knutsson, Anders & Goine, Hans
- 33-49 Socioeconomic and environmental covariates of premature mortality in Ontario
by Jerrett, Michael & Eyles, John & Cole, Donald
- 51-58 Social class and substance use disorders: The value of social class as distinct from socioeconomic status
by Wohlfarth, Tamar & van den Brink, Wim
- 59-66 Social disadvantage in the international classification of impairments, disabilities, and handicap
by Chapireau, F. & Colvez, A.
- 67-74 Socio-economic differences in health risk behavior in adolescence: Do they exist?
by Tuinstra, Jolanda & Groothoff, Johan W. & van den Heuvel, Wim J. A. & Post, Doeke
- 75-83 Hours to hell and back: A social epidemiology of railway injury in a South African city, 1890-1995
by Matzopoulos, Richard & Lerer, Leonard B.
- 85-91 The doctor-patient relationship and the management of asthma
by LagerlØv, Per & Leseth, Anne & Matheson, Ingrid
- 93-102 Cognitive representations of illness and functional and affective adjustment following surgery for osteoarthritis
by Orbell, Sheina & Johnston, Marie & Rowley, David & Espley, Arthur & Davey, Peter
- 103-112 Lifestyle discussion in the provision of health care. An empirical study of patient-physician interaction
by Johanson, Marita & Sätterlund Larsson, Ullabeth & Säljö, Roger & Svärdsudd, Kurt
- 113-120 Age rationing for renal transplantation? The role of age in decisions regarding scarce life extending medical resources
by Varekamp, I. & Krol, L. J. & Danse, J. A. C.
- 121-131 "Race", ethnicity and haemoglobin disorders
by Dyson, Simon M.
- 133-145 Tet offensive: winning hearts and minds for prevention: Discourse and ideology in Vietnam's "Health" Newspaper
by Finer, David & Thurén, Torsten & Tomson, Göran
1998, Volume 46, Issue 12
- 1519-1529 Gender, socioeconomic status and family status as determinants of food behaviour
by Roos, Eva & Lahelma, Eero & Virtanen, Mikko & Prättälä, Ritva & Pietinen, Pirjo
- 1531-1541 A problem-solving approach to nutrition education with Filipino mothers
by Ticao, Cynthia J. & Aboud, Frances E.
- 1543-1552 Social class differences in health until the age of seven years among the Finnish 1987 birth cohort
by Gissler, Mika & Rahkonen, Ossi & Järvelin, Marjo-Riitta & Hemminki, Elina
- 1553-1567 Interpreting bodily changes as illness: a longitudinal study of older adults
by Haug, Marie R. & Musil, Carol M. & Warner, Camille D. & Morris, Diana L.
- 1569-1585 The World Health Organization quality of life assessment (WHOQOL): Development and general psychometric properties
by The Whoqol Group
- 1587-1598 Contextual determinants of maternal mortality in rural Pakistan
by Midhet, Farid & Becker, Stan & Berendes, Heinz W.
- 1599-1611 Genes, free will, and criminal responsibility
by Alper, Joseph S.
- 1613-1622 Physician administrators and the reorganization of federally sponsored treatment research for AIDS
by Mueller, Mary-Rose
- 1623-1635 Breast cancer in West Islip, NY: A spatial clustering analysis with covariates
by Timander, Linda M. & McLafferty, Sara
- 1637-1653 The refugee crisis in Africa and implications for health and disease: a political ecology approach
by Kalipeni, Ezekiel & Oppong, Joseph
1998, Volume 46, Issue 11
- 1405-1415 Is the effect of job strain on myocardial infarction risk due to interaction between high psychological demands and low decision latitude? Results from Stockholm Heart Epidemiology Program (SHEEP)
by Hallqvist, Johan & Diderichsen, Finn & Theorell, Töres & Reuterwall, Christina & Ahlbom, Anders
- 1417-1424 Gender, work roles and psychosocial work characteristics as determinants of health
by Matthews, Sharon & Hertzman, Clyde & Ostry, Aleck & Power, Chris
- 1425-1428 An epidemic of collective conversion and dissociation disorder in an indigenous group of Colombia: its relation to cultural change
by Piñeros, Marion & Rosselli, Diego & Calderon, Claudia
- 1429-1440 Creating invariant subscales of the GHQ-30
by Whittington, Joyce & Huppert, Felicia A.
- 1441-1449 Private practitioners in the slums of Karachi: what quality of care do they offer?
by Thaver, Inayat H. & Harpham, Trudy & McPake, Barbara & Garner, Paul
- 1451-1457 Socioeconomic status, mortality, and the development of cataract at a young age
by Meddings, David R. & Hertzman, Clyde & Barer, Morris L. & Evans, Robert G. & Kazanjian, Arminée & McGrail, Kimberlyn & Sheps, Samuel B.
- 1459-1476 Mortality by occupational class among men 30-64Â years in 11 European countries
by Kunst, Anton E. & Groenhof, Feikje & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 1477-1486 Patients' perceptions of their heart attack and recovery: the influence of epidemiological "evidence" and personal experience
by Wiles, Rose
- 1487-1494 "Breaking the bureaucracy": drug registration and neocolonial relations in Egypt
by Rubinstein, Robert A.
- 1495-1504 To supplant, supplement or support? Organisational issues for hospices
by Payne, Sheila
- 1505-1511 Home birth or short-stay hospital birth in a low risk population in the Netherlands
by Wiegers, T. A. & van der Zee, J. & Kerssens, J. J. & Keirse, M. J. N. C.
1998, Volume 46, Issue 10
- 1255-1260 The international conferences on the Social Sciences and Medicine 1968-1996. An abridged history
by McEwan, Peter J. M.
- 1261-1270 Medical theories, science, and the practice of medicine
by Lewinsohn, Rachel
- 1271-1274 Latino parents' perception of their children's health status
by Arcia, Emily
- 1275-1290 Adolescent sexual and reproductive behavior: a review of the evidence from India
by Jejeebhoy, Shireen J.
- 1291-1302 The treatment of infants and young children suffering respiratory tract infection and diarrhoeal disease in a rural community in Southeast Indonesia
by Grace, Jocelyn
- 1303-1312 Why resort to illegal abortion in Zambia? Findings of a community-based study in Western Province
by Koster-Oyekan, Winny
- 1313-1323 Abortion, revised: participants in the U.S. clinical trials evaluate mifepristone
by Simonds, Wendy & Ellertson, Charlotte & Springer, Kimberly & Winikoff, Beverly
- 1325-1336 Migration and acculturation among Samoans: some sources of stress and support
by Hanna, Joel M.
- 1337-1353 The self-reported health status of lone parents
by Benzeval, Michaela
- 1355-1366 Self-perceived health in East and West Europe: another European health divide
by Carlson, Per
- 1367-1374 Attitudes towards genetic testing: analysis of contradictions
by Jallinoja, P. & Hakonen, A. & Aro, A. R. & Niemelä, P. & Hietala, M. & Lönnqvist, J. & Peltonen, L. & Aula, P.
- 1375-1380 Patient charges -- a hindrance to financially and psychosocially disadvantage groups seeking care
by Elofsson, Stig & Undén, Anna-Lena & Krakau, Ingvar
- 1381-1396 An event history analysis of age at last menstrual period: correlates of natural and surgical menopause among midlife Wisconsin women
by Shinberg, Diane S.
1998, Volume 46, Issue 9
- 1099-1110 The structure of emotions during acute myocardial infarction: A model of coping
by Alonzo, Angelo A. & Reynolds, Nancy R.
- 1111-1120 Special not different: general practitioners' accounts of their care of dying people
by Field, David
- 1121-1136 Social patterning of ill health in Helsinki and Moscow: Results from a comparative survey in 1991
by Palosuo, Hannele & Uutela, Antti & Zhuravleva, Irina & Lakomova, Nina
- 1137-1149 Community-based trauma systems in the United States: an examination of structural development
by Bazzoli, Gloria J. & Harmata, Rita & Chan, Cheeling
- 1151-1163 Cancer disclosure in Japan: Historical comparisons, current practices
by Elwyn, Todd S. & D. Fetters, Michael & Gorenflo, Daniel W. & Tsukasa Tsuda
- 1165-1174 Death, trauma and ritual: Mozambican refugees in Malawi
by Englund, Harri
- 1175-1182 Internal structure of a measure of self-efficacy in physical activity among high school students
by Dwyer, John J. M. & Allison, Kenneth R. & Makin, Susan
- 1183-1191 Cost-effectiveness analysis and capital costs
by Karlsson, Göran & Johannesson, Magnus
- 1193-1203 Therapeutic landscapes in holistic medicine
by Williams, Allison
- 1205-1212 The accuracy of mothers' reports of child vaccination: evidence from rural Egypt
by Langsten, Ray & Hill, Kenneth
- 1213-1225 Canadian naturopathic practitioners: holistic and scientific world views
by Boon, Heather
- 1227-1233 Firearm suicides and homicides in the United States: regional variations and patterns of gun ownership
by Kaplan, Mark S. & Geling, Olga
- 1235-1247 Gender, social mobility and psychiatric diagnoses
by Timms, Duncan
1998, Volume 46, Issue 8
- 939-945 A modified framework for rural general practice: The importance of recruitment and retention
by Humphreys, John S. & Rolley, Frances
- 947-958 Representing doctors: discourses and images in the Australian press
by Lupton, Deborah & McLean, Jane
- 959-969 Porque me tocó a mi ? Mexican American diabetes patients' causal stories and their relationship to treatment behaviors
by Hunt, Linda M. & Valenzuela, Miguel A. & Pugh, Jacqueline A.
- 971-979 The influence of households on drinking behaviour: a multilevel analysis
by Rice, Nigel & Carr-Hill, Roy & Dixon, Paul & Sutton, Matthew
- 981-993 The "three delays" as a framework for examining maternal mortality in Haiti
by Barnes-Josiah, Debora & Myntti, Cynthia & Augustin, Antoine
- 995-1009 Health and health expenditures in adjusting and non-adjusting countries
by van der Gaag, Jacques & Barham, Tania
- 1011-1016 Which terminally ill cancer patients receive hospice in-patient care?
by Addington-Hall, Julia & Altmann, Dan & McCarthy, Mark
- 1017-1025 Equity is out of fashion? An essay on autonomy and health policy in the individualized society
by Lindbladh, Eva & Lyttkens, Carl Hampus & Hanson, Bertil S. & Östergren, P. -O.
- 1027-1031 The demand for prehospital emergency services in an aging society
by McConnel, Charles E. & Wilson, Rosemary W.
- 1033-1041 Psychological distress and well-being among traumatized Palestinian women during the intifada
by Khamis, Vivian
- 1043-1056 Competing discourses of vital registration and personhood: perspectives from rural South Africa
by Jewkes, Rachel & Wood, Katharine
- 1057-1066 Education and self-care activities among persons with rheumatoid arthritis
by Katz, Patricia P.
- 1067-1076 Women's decision-making in prenatal screening
by Santalahti, Päivi & Hemminki, Elina & Latikka, Anne-Maria & Ryynänen, Markku