Social Science & Medicine
1999, Volume 48, Issue 3
- 353-361 Procedures and the professional: the case of the British NHS
by Lawton, Rebecca & Parker, Dianne
- 363-374 Complaints against nurses: a reflection of 'the new managerialism' and consumerism in health care?
by Beardwood, Barbara & Walters, Vivienne & Eyles, John & French, Susan
- 375-391 Smoking-attributable medical care costs in the USA
by Miller, Vincent P. & Ernst, Carla & Collin, François
- 393-405 Medicine, economics and agenda-setting
by Lewis, Jenny M. & Considine, Mark
- 407-420 Dentistry and medical dominance
by Adams, Tracey
1999, Volume 48, Issue 2
- 139-148 An evaluation of the informed consent procedure used during a trial of a Haemophilus influenzae type B conjugate vaccine undertaken in The Gambia, West Africa
by Leach, A. & Hilton, S. & Greenwood, B. M. & Manneh, E. & Dibba, B. & Wilkins, A. & Mulholland, E. K.
- 149-162 Women's strategies to alleviate nutritional stress in a rural African society
by Bentley, Gillian R. & Aunger, Robert & Harrigan, Alisa M. & Jenike, Mark & Bailey, Robert C. & Ellison, Peter T.
- 163-172 Ngaka ya setswana, ngaka ya sekgoa or both? Health seeking behaviour in Batswana with pulmonary tuberculosis
by Steen, T. W. & Mazonde, G. N.
- 173-184 Ethnicity, alcohol, and acculturation
by Gutmann, M. C.
- 185-196 Holocaust survivors' perspectives on the euthanasia debate
by Leichtentritt, Ronit D. & Rettig, Kathryn D. & Miles, Steven H.
- 197-212 Risk adjustment and hospital cost-based resource allocation, with an application to El Salvador
by Fiedler, John L. & Wight, Jonathan B. & Schmidt, Robert M.
- 213-225 Obstacles on the path to a primary-care led National Health Service: complexities of outpatient care
by Somerset, Maggie & Faulkner, Alex & Shaw, Alison & Dunn, Liz & Sharp, Deborah J.
- 227-239 Health promotion versus disease and care: failure to establish "blissful clarity" in British nurse education and practice
by Smith, P. & Masterson, A. & Smith, S. Lloyd
- 241-251 Re-forming medical delivery systems: economic organization and dynamics of regional planning and managed competition
by Perkins, Barbara Bridgman
- 253-265 No fathers' names: a risk factor for infant mortality in the State of Georgia, USA
by Gaudino, James A. & Jenkins, Bill & Rochat, Roger W.
- 267-276 Age-related preferences and age weighting health benefits
by Tsuchiya, Aki
1999, Volume 48, Issue 1
- 1-5 Relocating gender and morbidity: examining men's and women's health in contemporary Western societies. Introduction to Special Issue on Gender and Health
by Hunt, Kate & Annandale, Ellen
- 7-19 Gender differences in illhealth in Finland: patterns, magnitude and change
by Lahelma, Eero & Martikainen, Pekka & Rahkonen, Ossi & Silventoinen, Karri
- 21-32 Women's status and the health of women and men: a view from the States
by Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P. & Gupta, Vanita & Prothrow-Stith, Deborah
- 33-48 Problematizing gender, work and health: the relationship between gender, occupational grade, working conditions and minor morbidity in full-time bank employees
by Emslie, Carol & Hunt, Kate & Macintyre, Sally
- 49-60 Social inequalities in health: are there gender differences?
by Matthews, Sharon & Manor, Orly & Power, Chris
- 61-76 Gender differences in health in later life: the new paradox?
by Arber, Sara & Cooper, Helen
- 77-87 Gender, social relations and mental health: prospective findings from an occupational cohort (Whitehall II study)
by Fuhrer, R. & Stansfeld, S. A. & Chemali, J. & Shipley, M. J.
- 89-98 Do women 'over-report' morbidity? Men's and women's responses to structured prompting on a standard question on long standing illness
by Macintyre, Sally & Ford, Graeme & Hunt, Kate
- 99-115 Social position, social roles and women's health in England: changing relationships 1984-1993
by Bartley, M. & Sacker, A. & Firth, D. & Fitzpatrick, R.
- 117-127 Making use of official statistics in research on gender and health status: recent British data
by Dunnell, Karen & Fitzpatrick, Justine & Bunting, Julia
1998, Volume 47, Issue 12
- 1905-1924 Review of nursing turnover research, 1977-1996
by Tai, Teresa Wai Chi & Bame, Sherry I. & Robinson, Chester D.
- 1925-1936 Outcomes and effectiveness in reproductive health
by Graham, Wendy J.
- 1937-1946 Compulsory medical service in Ecuador: the physician's perspective
by Cavender, Anthony & Albán, Manuel
- 1947-1956 When acculturation hurts: the case of immunization
by Prislin, Radmila & Suarez, Lucina & Simspon, Diane M. & Dyer, James A.
- 1957-1971 Trends in health services utilization in eight provinces in China, 1989-1993
by Henderson, G. E. & Akin, J. S. & Hutchinson, P. M. & Jin, S. G. & Wang, J. M. & Dietrich, J. & Mao, L. M.
- 1973-1980 The development of a dementia process within the family context: the case of Alice
by Vernooij-Dassen, Myrra & Wester, Fred & Auf den Kamp, Marcel & Huygen, Frans
- 1981-1992 Sexual networks: the integration of social and genetic data
by Day, S. & Ward, H. & Ison, C. & Bell, G. & Weber, J.
- 1993-2011 In the company of friends: Peer influence on Thai male extramarital sex
by Vanlandingham, Mark & Knodel, John & Saengtienchai, Chanpen & Pramualratana, Anthony
- 2013-2023 The meaning of playing-related musculoskeletal disorders to classical musicians
by Zaza, Christine & Charles, Cathy & Muszynski, Alicja
- 2025-2042 Diagnosing moral disorder: the discovery and evolution of fetal alcohol syndrome
by Armstrong, Elizabeth M.
- 2043-2053 Social class, assets, organizational control and the prevalence of common groups of psychiatric disorders
by Muntaner, C. & Eaton, W. W. & Diala, C. & Kessler, R. C. & Sorlie, P. D.
- 2055-2066 Mortality variations in England and Wales between types of place: an analysis of the ONS longitudinal study
by Ecob, Russell & Jones, Kelvyn
- 2067-2074 Linking measures of health gain to explicit priority setting by an Area Health Service in Australia
by Cromwell, David A. & Viney, Rosalie & Halsall, John & Hindle, Don
- 2075-2085 Beliefs related to breast health practices: the perceptions of South Asian women living in Canada
by Bottorff, Joan L. & Johnson, Joy L. & Bhagat, Radhika & Grewal, Sukhdev & Balneaves, Lynda G. & Clarke, Heather & Hilton, B. Ann
- 2087-2099 Health and access to care: Perspectives of homeless youth in Baltimore City, U.S.A
by Ensign, Jo & Gittelsohn, Joel
- 2101-2111 Careseeking for illness in young infants in an urban slum in India
by de Zoysa, Isabelle & Bhandari, Nita & Akhtari, Naseema & Bhan, Maharaj K.
- 2113-2125 Stories of meaning: lay perspectives on the origin and management of noninsulin dependent diabetes mellitus among older women in the United States
by Schoenberg, Nancy E. & Amey, Cheryl H. & Coward, Raymond T.
- 2127-2137 Radio and the commodification of natural medicine in Ecuador
by Miles, Ann
1998, Volume 47, Issue 11
- 1639-1651 Screening and counselling for sickle cell disorders and thalassaemia: The experience of parents and health professionals
by Atkin, Karl & Ahmad, Waqar I. U. & Anionwu, Elizabeth N.
- 1653-1658 Revealed identity: a study of the process of genetic counselling
by Armstrong, David & Michie, Susan & Marteau, Theresa
- 1659-1663 Effect of social class on tumour size at diagnosis and surgical treatment in Danish women with breast cancer
by Norredam, Marie & Groenvold, Mogens & Petersen, Jorgen Holm & Krasnik, Allan
- 1665-1676 Educational differences in leisure-time physical inactivity: a descriptive and explanatory study
by Droomers, M. & Schrijvers, C. T. M. & van de Mheen, H. & Mackenbach, J. P.
- 1677-1686 Suicide in urban New South Wales, Australia 1985-1994: socio-economic and migrant interactions
by Taylor, Richard & Morrell, Stephen & Slaytor, Emma & Ford, Paul
- 1687-1694 Hearts and minds: suicide among United States combat troops in Vietnam, 1957-1973
by Adams, David P. & Barton, Cole & Mitchell, G. Lynn & Moore, Alan L. & Einagel, Victor
- 1695-1698 Increasing homicide rate in Finland accompanied by decreasing seasonality over the period 1957-95
by Hakko, Helinä & Räsänen, Pirkko & Tiihonen, Jari
- 1699-1713 Political repression and its psychological effects on Honduran children
by Munczek, Débora S. & Tuber, Steven
- 1715-1727 Using metaphor to read the organisation of the NHS
by Elkind, Andrea
- 1729-1738 Achieving clinical behaviour change: a case of becoming indeterminate
by Wood, Martin & Ferlie, Ewan & Fitzgerald, Louise
- 1739-1748 The evolution of professional identity: the case of osteopathic medicine
by Miller, Katherine
- 1749-1762 Promoting health, promoting women: the construction of female and professional identities in the discourse of community health workers
by Ramirez-Valles, Jesus
- 1763-1772 Psychosocial stressors and well-being in health care workers. The impact of an intervention program
by Petterson, Inga-Lill & Arnetz, Bengt B.
- 1773-1780 Gender differences in accessing cardiac surgery across England: a cross-sectional analysis of the Health Survey for England
by Dong, Wei & Ben-Shlomo, Yoav & Colhoun, Helen & Chaturvedi, Nish
- 1781-1795 Why do nurses abuse patients? Reflections from South African obstetric services
by Jewkes, Rachel & Abrahams, Naeemah & Mvo, Zodumo
- 1797-1808 Describing the "white" ethnic group and its composition in medical research
by Aspinall, Peter J.
- 1809-1824 Putting risk in its place: methodological considerations for investigating extreme event health risk
by Smoyer, Karen E.
- 1825-1840 Informed consent for clinical trials: in search of the "best" method
by Edwards, Sarah J. L. & Lilford, Richard J. & Thornton, Jim & Hewison, Jenny
- 1841-1854 Infant mortality: A multi-level analysis of individual and community risk factors
by Matteson, Donald W. & Burr, Jeffrey A. & Marshall, James R.
- 1855-1858 Age patterns of smoking initiation among Kuwait University male students
by Sugathan, T. N. & Moody, Philip M. & Bustan, Mahmood A. & Elgerges, Najwa S.
- 1859-1871 Medicinal plants in Mexico: healers' consensus and cultural importance
by Heinrich, Michael & Ankli, Anita & Frei, Barbara & Weimann, Claudia & Sticher, Otto
- 1873-1876 Physician assessments of patient compliance with medical treatment
by Goldberg, Albert I. & Cohen, Gilat & Rubin, Ami-Hai E.
- 1877-1880 Dental students' attitude to gender roles
by Rosenberg, Howard M. & Cucchiara, Andrew J. & Helpin, Mark L.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 10
- 1399-1405 Explanations of social class differences in alcoholism among young men
by Hemmingsson, Tomas & Lundberg, Ingvar & Diderichsen, Finn & Allebeck, Peter
- 1407-1418 Health related behavioural change in context: young people in transition
by Pavis, Stephen & Cunningham-Burley, Sarah & Amos, Amanda
- 1419-1430 Critical reflections on the politics of need: implications for public health
by Robertson, Ann
- 1431-1443 Sexual behaviour and risk assessment of HIV seroconvertors among urban male factory workers in Zimbabwe
by Ray, Sunanda & Latif, Ahmed & Machekano, Roderick & Katzenstein, David
- 1445-1453 The learning curve: Health education in STI clinics in South Africa
by Reddy, Priscilla & Meyer-Weitz, Anna & van den Borne, Bart & Kok, Gerjo & Weijts, Wies
- 1455-1462 Injections and self-help: risk and trust in Ugandan health care
by Birungi, Harriet
- 1463-1472 Perception of the social support role of the extended family network by some Nigerians with schizophrenia and affective disorders
by Ohaeri, Jude U.
- 1473-1484 Family responses to HIV/AIDS in Mexico
by Castro, Roberto & Orozco, Emanuel & Aggleton, Peter & Eroza, Enrique & Hernández, Juan Jacobo
- 1485-1494 Liminality: a major category of the experience of cancer illness
by Little, Miles & Jordens, Christopher FC & Paul, Kim & Montgomery, Kathleen & Philipson, Bertil
- 1495-1501 The holistic health movement in the San Francisco Bay Area: Some preliminary observations
by Baer, Hans A. & Hays, John & McClendon, Nicole & McGoldrick, Neil & Vespucci, Raffella
- 1503-1512 Stress and low birth weight: A structural modeling approach using real life stressors
by Sheehan, T. Joseph
- 1513-1527 Analyzing the decentralization of health systems in developing countries: decision space, innovation and performance
by Bossert, Thomas
- 1529-1538 Towards equity in health in an unequal society
by Bloom, Gerald & McIntyre, Diane
- 1539-1545 From practice to research: The case for criticism in an age of evidence
by Berkwits, Michael
- 1547-1554 Risk and the general practitioner budget holder
by Martin, Stephen & Rice, Nigel & Smith, Peter C.
- 1555-1564 The ethics of resource allocation: the views of general practitioners in Lincolnshire, U.K
by Baines, Darrin L. & Tolley, Keith H. & Whynes, David K.
- 1565-1572 A holistic approach to the economic evaluation of health programs using institutionalist methodology
by Jan, Stephen
- 1573-1588 A systematic review of the literature on patient priorities for general practice care. Part 1: Description of the research domain
by Wensing, Michel & Jung, Hans Peter & Mainz, Jan & Olesen, Frede & Grol, Richard
- 1589-1599 The effects of political and economic transitions on health and safety in Estonia: An Estonian-Swedish comparative study
by Kaasik, Taie & Andersson, Ragnar & Hörte, Lars-Gunnar
- 1601-1609 A revised measure of symptom-specific health care use
by Baker, David W. & Shapiro, Martin F. & Schur, Claudia L. & Freeman, Howard
- 1611-1617 The correspondence of patient satisfaction and nurse burnout
by Leiter, Michael P. & Harvie, Phyllis & Frizzell, Cindy
- 1619-1625 Ethics of resource allocation in developing countries: The case of Sri Lanka
by Jayasinghe, K. S. A. & De Silva, D. & Mendis, N. & Lie, R. K.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 9
- 1135-1145 Assignments of meaning in epidemiology
by Little, Miles
- 1147-1153 "Death by proxy": Ethics and classification in epidemiology
by Plant, Aileen J. & Rushworth, R. Louise
- 1155-1159 Is imposing risk awareness cultural imperialism?
by FØrde, Olav Helge
- 1161-1169 The ethics of attribution: The case of health care outcome indicators
by Russell, Elizabeth
- 1171-1180 "Communitarian claims" as an ethical basis for allocating health care resources
by Mooney, Gavin
- 1181-1188 Social capital and health: Implications for public health and epidemiology
by Lomas, Jonathan
- 1189-1195 Ethics, epidemiology and the thrifty gene: biological determinism as a health hazard
by McDermott, Robyn
- 1197-1208 A tale of two (low prevalence) cities: social movement organisations and the local policy response to HIV/AIDS
by Petchey, Roland & Williams, Jacky & Farnsworth, Bill & Starkey, Ken
- 1209-1222 Inequalities in the transition of ischaemic heart disease mortality in New South Wales, Australia, 1969-1994
by Burnley, I. H.
- 1223-1230 Towards quality of care in child health programmes: a challenge for the partnership in health and social sciences
by Kanani, Shubhada
- 1231-1246 Childhood conditions that predict survival to advanced ages among African-Americans
by Preston, Samuel H. & Hill, Mark E. & Drevenstedt, Greg L.
- 1247-1261 Higher earnings, bursting trains and exhausted bodies: the creation of travelling psychosis in post-reform China
by Lee, Sing
- 1263-1266 Mexican use of lead in the treatment of empacho: Community, clinic, and longitudinal patterns
by Baer, Roberta D. & Garcia De Alba, Javier & Mares Leal, Rosa & Plascencia Campos, Ana Rosa & Goslin, Neill
- 1267-1276 Doctor talk and diabetes: towards an analysis of the clinical construction of chronic illness
by Loewe, Ronald & Schwartzman, John & Freeman, Joshua & Quinn, Laurie & Zuckerman, Steve
- 1277-1288 Social class and health: The puzzling counter-example of British South Asians
by Williams, Rory & Wright, William & Hunt, Kate
- 1289-1294 Cancer truth disclosure by Lebanese doctors
by Hamadeh, Ghassan N. & Adib, Salim M.
- 1295-1306 Probabilities and health risks: a qualitative approach
by Heyman, Bob & Henriksen, Mette & Maughan, Karen
- 1307-1312 The sick building syndrome: a diagnostic dilemma
by Thörn, Åke
- 1313-1323 The meaning and management of neuroleptic medication: a study of patients with a diagnosis of schizophrenia
by Rogers, Anne & Day, Jennifer C. & Williams, Brian & Randall, Fiona & Wood, Pamela & Healy, David & Bentall, Richard P.
- 1325-1329 Accidents, assaults, and marital status
by Cheung, Yin-Bun
- 1331-1339 Class differences in the food rules mothers impose on their children: a cross-national study
by Hupkens, Christianne L. H. & Knibbe, Ronald A. & van Otterloo, Anneke H. & Drop, Maria J.
- 1341-1349 From reviving the living to raising the dead; the making of cardiac resuscitation
by Bains, Jatinder
- 1351-1359 The meaning of patient satisfaction: An explanation of high reported levels
by Williams, Brian & Coyle, Joanne & Healy, David
- 1361-1371 Spousal caregivers' activity restriction and depression: A model for changes over time
by Nieboer, A. P. & Schulz, R. & Matthews, K. A. & Scheier, M. F. & Ormel, J. & Lindenberg, S. M.
- 1373-1381 The fake patient: A research experiment in a Ghanaian hospital
by van der Geest, Sjaak & Sarkodie, Samuel
- 1383-1387 Becoming a doctor -- Was it the wrong career choice?
by Hyppölä, Harri & Kumpusalo, Esko & Neittaanmäki, Liisa & Mattila, Kari & Virjo, Irma & Kujala, Santero & Luhtala, Riitta & Halila, Hannu & Isokoski, Mauri
1998, Volume 47, Issue 8
- 993-1004 Hungry earth and vengeful stars: soul loss and identity in the Peruvian Andes
by Greenway, Christine
- 1005-1015 Environment, vulnerability, and gender in Andean ethnomedicine
by Larme, Anne C.
- 1017-1030 Assessing variation in health status in the Andes: a biocultural model
by Oths, Kathryn S.
- 1031-1041 Changing biocultural perspectives on health in the Andes
by Leatherman, Thomas
- 1043-1049 Medical, law, and business students' perceptions of the changing health care system
by Wilkes, Michael & Coulter, Ian & Hurwitz, Eric
- 1051-1066 A novel method for studying population health impacts of spatiotemporal ozone distribution
by Christakos, George & Vyas, Vikram M.
- 1067-1076 A ship upon a stormy sea: The medicalization of pregnancy
by Barker, K. K.
- 1077-1087 Which aspects of general practitioners' behaviour determine patients' evaluations of care?
by Jung, H. P. & Van Horne, F. & Wensing, M. & Hearnshaw, H. & Grol, R.
- 1089-1099 Buying safety: The economics of reproductive risk and abortion in Egypt
by Lane, Sandra D. & Madut Jok, Jok & El-Mouelhy, Mawaheb T.
- 1101-1111 Women's health care work in comparative perspective: Canada, Sweden and Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic as case examples
by Benoit, Cecilia & Heitlinger, Alena
- 1113-1120 The relationship of community quality to the health of women and men
by Molinari, Carol & Ahern, Melissa & Hendryx, Michael
- 1121-1130 Social mobility and 21Â year mortality in a cohort of Scottish men
by Hart, Carole L. & Davey Smith, George & Blane, David
1998, Volume 47, Issue 7
- 841-852 Stigma associated with onchocercal skin disease among those affected near the Ofiki and Oyan rivers in Western Nigeria
by Brieger, William R. & Oshiname, Frederick O. & Ososanya, Oladele O.
- 853-863 A conceptual model of the food and nutrition system
by Sobal, Jeffery & Kettel Khan, Laura & Bisogni, Carole
- 865-875 Reframing the meaning of disability to families: the embrace of paradox
by Larson, Elizabeth
- 877-889 R. D. Laing and the British anti-psychiatry movement: a socio-historical analysis
by Crossley, Nick
- 891-898 The use of equipoise in clinical trials
by Chard, J. A. & Lilford, R. J.
- 899-909 Uptake of contraception during postpartum amenorrhoea: Understandings and preferences of poor, urban women in Bangladesh
by Salway, Sarah & Nurani, Sufia
- 911-926 Risk, motives, and styles of utilization review: A cross-condition comparison
by Wolff, Nancy & Schlesinger, Mark
- 927-939 A survey of the Hong Kong health sector: Past, present and future
by Gauld, Robin D. C.
- 941-947 "Why don't they come to Pike street and ask us"?: Black American women's health concerns
by Freedman, Tovia G.
- 949-959 Family planning policies and programmes in eight low-income countries: A comparative policy analysis
by Lee, Kelley & Lush, Louisiana & Walt, Gill & Cleland, John
- 961-971 Resident characteristics and organizational factors influencing the quality of drug use in Swedish nursing homes
by Schmidt, Ingrid & Claesson, Cecilia B. & Westerholm, Barbro & Svarstad, Bonnie L.
- 973-981 Living in a housing co-operative for low income women: Issues of identity, environment and control
by Wasylishyn, Christine & Johnson, Joy L.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 6
- 697-712 Cognitive assessment and health education in children from two different cultures
by Sivaramakrishnan, Malathi & Arocha, José F. & Patel, Vimla L.
- 713-725 The natural life of policy indices: geographical problem areas in the U.S. and U.K
by Taylor, Donald H.
- 727-737 Determinants of dental care use in dentate adults: Six-monthly use during a 24-month period in the Florida dental care study
by Gilbert, Gregg H. & Duncan, R. Paul & Vogel, W. Bruce
- 739-753 A conceptual model of independence and dependence for adults with chronic physical illness and disability
by Gignac, Monique A. M. & Cott, Cheryl
- 755-764 Asthma and domestic air quality
by Jones, A. P.
- 765-777 Social network characteristics as mediators in the relationship between sexual abuse and HIV risk
by Miller, Maureen & Paone, Denise
- 779-794 Pharmacies, self-medication and pharmaceutical marketing in Bombay, India
by Kamat, Vinay R. & Nichter, Mark
- 795-808 Third World medicine in First World cities: capital accumulation, uneven development and public health
by Whiteis, David G.
- 809-819 The occupational integration of former Soviet physicians in Israel
by Bernstein, Judith H. & Shuval, Judith T.
- 821-830 Personal constitution and health status among Chinese elderly in Taipei and Los Angeles
by Lew-Ting, Chih-yin & Hurwicz, Margo-Lea & Berkanovic, Emil
- 831-840 Racial differences in functional status among elderly U.S. migrants from the south
by Kington, Raynard & Carlisle, David & McCaffrey, Dan & Myers, Hector & Allen, Walter
1998, Volume 47, Issue 5
- 555-564 Negotiating reproduction and gender during the fertility decline in Turkey
by Angin, Zeynep & Shorter, Frederic C.
- 565-579 Place of death and access to home care services: are certain patient groups at a disadvantage?
by Grande, G. E. & Addington-Hall, J. M. & Todd, C. J.
- 581-593 Well-being of haemophilia patients: a model for direct and indirect effects of medical parameters on the physical and psychosocial functioning
by Triemstra, A. H. M. & Van der Ploeg, H. M. & Smit, C. & Briët, E. & Adèr, H. J. & Rosendaal, F. R.
- 595-601 Patients' reactions to attempts to increase passive or active coping with surgery
by Peerbhoy, Denise & Hall, George M. & Parker, Christopher & Shenkin, Alan & Salmon, Peter
- 603-611 Direct and indirect effects of chronic physical conditions on depression: A preliminary investigation
by Vilhjalmsson, Runar
- 613-620 Disparity of medical care utilization among different health insurance schemes in Taiwan
by Cheng, Shou-Hsia & Chiang, Tung-Liang
- 621-634 Distinguishing between chronic and nonchronic fatigue, the role of gender and age
by Van Mens-Verhulst, Janneke & Bensing, Jozien
- 635-643 Social relations and mortality. An eleven year follow-up study of 70-year-old men and women in Denmark
by Avlund, Kirsten & Damsgaard, Mogens Trab & Holstein, BjØrn E.
- 645-656 Recognizing the reversible nature of child-feeding decisions: Breastfeeding, weaning, and relactation patterns in a shanty town community of Lima, Peru
by Marquis, Grace S. & Díaz, Judith & Bartolini, Rosario & Creed de Kanashiro, Hilary & Rasmussen, Kathleen M.
- 657-664 Smoking and smoking cessation among men whose partners are pregnant: a qualitative study
by Wakefield, Melanie & Reid, Yolande & Roberts, Lyn & Mullins, Robyn & Gillies, Pamela
- 665-675 Factors related to physical activity: a study of adolescents
by Vilhjalmsson, Runar & Thorlindsson, Thorolfur
- 677-691 Service use by family caregivers in Japan
by Yamamoto, Noriko & Wallhagen, Margaret I.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 4
- 419-428 Development of mental health services in Tanzania: A reappraisal for the future
by Kilonzo, G. P. & Simmons, N.
- 429-443 Mortality decline in The Netherlands in the period 1850-1992: A turning point analysis
by Wolleswinkel-van den Bosch, Judith H. & van Poppel, Frans W. A. & Tabeau, Ewa & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 445-453 General practice in urban and rural Europe: The range of curative services
by Boerma, Wienke G. W. & Groenewegen, Peter P. & Van der Zee, Jouke
- 455-468 Female physicians in Mexico: Migration and mobility in the lifecourse
by Harrison, Margaret E.
- 469-476 Residential segregation and mortality in New York City
by Fang, Jing & Madhavan, Shantha & Bosworth, William & Alderman, Michael H.
- 477-486 Child feeding and care behaviors are associated with xerophthalmia in rural Nepalese households
by Gittelsohn, Joel & Shankar, Anita V. & West, Keith P. & Faruque, Faisal & Gnywali, Tara & Pradhan, Elizabeth K.
- 487-496 General practitioners' attributions of fatigue
by De Rijk, Angelique E. & Schreurs, Karlein M. G. & Bensing, Jozien M.
- 497-506 Practice nurses and the effects of the new general practitioner contract in the British NHS: The advent of a professional project?
by Broadbent, Jane
- 507-517 Managerialism and active citizenship in Britain's reformed health service: power and community in an era of decentralisation
by Milewa, Timothy & Valentine, Justin & Calnan, Michael
- 519-523 Doctors' attitudes to acupuncture -- a Norwegian study
by Norheim, Arne Johan & FØnnebØ, Vinjar
- 525-533 Social inequality in coronary heart disease: a comparison of occupational classifications
by Chandola, Tarani
- 535-545 Paradigms of retirement: the importance of health and ageing in the whitehall ii study
by Mein, G. & Higgs, P. & Ferrie, J. & Stansfeld, S. A.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 3
- 287-301 A review of relationships between active living and determinants of health
by Frankish, C. James & Milligan, C. Dawne & Reid, Colleen
- 303-315 Socioeconomic inequalities in health expectancy in Finland and Norway in the late 1980s
by Sihvonen, Ari-Pekka & Kunst, Anton E. & Lahelma, Eero & Valkonen, Tapani & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 317-327 The health and welfare effects of day-care: A systematic review of randomised controlled trials
by Zoritch, B. & Roberts, I. & Oakley, A.
- 329-339 Patient participation in decision-making
by Guadagnoli, Edward & Ward, Patricia
- 341-346 Physicians' prescribing behaviour for diarrhoea in children: An ethnoepidemiological study in southern Brazil
by Béria, Jorge U. & Damiani, Magda F. & dos Santos, Iná S. & Lombardi, Cintia
- 347-354 The physician-patient encounter: The physician as a perfect agent for the patient versus the informed treatment decision-making model
by Gafni, Amiram & Charles, Cathy & Whelan, Tim
- 357-369 Educational level and adult mortality in Russia: An analysis of routine data 1979 to 1994
by Shkolnikov, Vladimir M. & Leon, David A. & Adamets, Sergey & Eugeniy Andreev & Deev, Alexander
- 371-379 Attitudes towards helminthic infection in the Jirel population of eastern Nepal
by Williams-Blangero, S. & Subedi, J. & Upadhayay, R. P. & Manral, D. B. & Khadka, K. & Jirel, S. & Robinson, E. S. & Blangero, J.
- 381-394 What does quality mean to lay people? Community perceptions of primary health care services in Guinea
by Haddad, Slim & Fournier, Pierre & Machouf, Nimâ & Yatara, Fassinet
- 395-403 "Alone, I wouldn't have known what to do":A qualitative study on social supportduring labor and delivery in Mexico
by Campero, Lourdes & García, Cecilia & Díaz, Carmen & Ortiz, Olivia & Reynoso, Sofía & Langer, Ana
- 405-410 Guinea worm disease - a chance for successful eradication in the Volta region, Ghana
by Diamenu, Stanley K. & Nyaku, Albertha A.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 2
- 153-164 Pharmacy's attempts to extend its roles: A case study in South Africa
by Gilbert, Leah
- 165-179 Patterns of visits to hospital-based emergency rooms
by Béland, François & Lemay, Anne & Boucher, Marcel
- 181-193 Women in general practice: Responding to the sexual division of labour?
by Brooks, Fiona
- 195-202 The meanings of tuberculosis for Mexican migrant farmworkers in the United States
by Poss, Jane E.
- 203-211 Cost-effectiveness of strategies to market and train primary health care physicians in brief intervention techniques for hazardous alcohol use
by Gomel, Michelle K. & Wutzke, Sonia E. & Hardcastle, Deborah M. & Lapsley, Helen & Reznik, Robert B.
- 213-222 Valuing temporary and chronic health states associated with breast screening
by Johnston, Katharine & Brown, Jackie & Gerard, Karen & O'Hanlon, Moira & Morton, Alison
- 223-232 Mandatory pooling as a supplement to risk-adjusted capitation payments in a competitive health insurance market
by van Barneveld, Erik M. & Lamers, Leida M. & van Vliet, René C. J. A. & van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M.
- 233-242 "He forced me to love him": putting violence on adolescent sexual health agendas
by Wood, Katharine & Maforah, Fidelia & Jewkes, Rachel
- 243-253 Health appraisal models in multiple sclerosis
by Roberts, Greg & Stuifbergen, Alexa K.
- 255-267 Can prostitutes marry? Thai attitudes toward female sex workers
by Peracca, Sara & Knodel, John & Saengtienchai, Chanpen
- 269-279 Socioeconomic factors, perceived control and self-reported health in Russia. A cross-sectional survey
by Bobak, Martin & Pikhart, Hynek & Hertzman, Clyde & Rose, Richard & Marmot, Michael
1998, Volume 47, Issue 1
- 1-6 Are geographic regions with high income inequality associated with risk of abdominal weight gain?
by Kahn, Henry S. & Tatham, Lilith M. & Pamuk, Elsie R. & Heath, Clark W.
- 7-17 Social capital, income inequality, and firearm violent crime
by Kennedy, Bruce P. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Prothrow-Stith, Deborah & Lochner, Kimberly & Gupta, Vanita
- 19-23 Intra-urban differentials in death rates from homicide in the city of São Paulo, Brazil,1988-1994
by Barata, Rita Barradas & Sampaio de Almeida Ribeiro, Manoel Carlos & Lauretti da Silva Guedes, Marilda Braga & Cássio de Moraes, José
- 25-31 Occupation and unemployment rates as predictors of long term sickness absence in two Swedish counties
by Knutsson, Anders & Goine, Hans