Social Science & Medicine
July 2003, Volume 57, Issue 2
- 375-385 The role of social support and self-esteem in the presence and course of depressive symptoms: a comparison of cancer patients and individuals from the general population
by Schroevers, Maya J. & Ranchor, Adelita V. & Sanderman, Robbert
July 2003, Volume 57, Issue 1
- 1-12 Sustaining safe practice: twenty years on
by Kippax, Susan & Race, Kane
- 13-24 HIV and AIDS-related stigma and discrimination: a conceptual framework and implications for action
by Parker, Richard & Aggleton, Peter
- 25-38 Nuances and shifts in lesbian women's constructions of STI and HIV vulnerability
by Dolan, Kathleen A. & Davis, Phillip W.
- 39-54 Situational factors influencing drug injecting, risk reduction and syringe exchange in Togliatti City, Russian Federation: a qualitative study of micro risk environment
by Rhodes, Tim & Mikhailova, Larissa & Sarang, Anya & Lowndes, Catherine M. & Rylkov, Andrey & Khutorskoy, Mikhail & Renton, Adrian
- 55-69 A proper place to live: health inequalities, agency and the normative dimensions of space
by Popay, Jennie & Thomas, Carol & Williams, Gareth & Bennett, Sharon & Gatrell, Anthony & Bostock, Lisa
- 71-90 Measuring culture: a critical review of acculturation and health in Asian immigrant populations
by Salant, Talya & Lauderdale, Diane S.
- 91-96 Patients' attitudes vs. physicians' determination: implications for cesarean sections
by Lo, Joan C.
- 97-112 Trust, learning, and vaccination: a case study of a North Indian village
by Das, Jishnu & Das, Saumya
- 113-124 Television documentary in New Zealand and the construction of doctors by lower socio-economic groups
by Hodgetts, Darrin & Chamberlain, Kerry
- 125-134 Socio-economic and demographic variation in health and in its measures: the issue of reporting heterogeneity
by Shmueli, Amir
- 135-145 "I'll give up smoking when you get me better": patients' resistance to attempts to problematise smoking in general practice (GP) consultations
by Pilnick, Alison & Coleman, Tim
- 147-153 Layperson and physician perceptions of the malpractice system: implications for patient safety
by Liang, Bryan A.
- 155-165 Willingness to pay and determinants of choice for improved malaria treatment in rural Nepal
by Morey, Edward R. & Sharma, Vijaya R. & Mills, Anne
- 167-177 The impact on breastfeeding of labour market policy and practice in Ireland, Sweden, and the USA
by Galtry, Judith
- 179-188 The politics of 'branding' in policy transfer: the case of DOTS for tuberculosis control
by Ogden, Jessica & Walt, Gill & Lush, Louisiana
June 2003, Volume 56, Issue 12
- 2353-2366 Normalizing the exceptional: incorporating the "abortion pill" into mainstream medicine
by Joffe, Carole & Weitz, Tracy A.
- 2367-2377 Social capital, life expectancy and mortality: a cross-national examination
by Kennelly, Brendan & O'Shea, Eamon & Garvey, Eoghan
- 2379-2390 Investments in social capital--implications of social interactions for the production of health
by Bolin, Kristian & Lindgren, Björn & Lindström, Martin & Nystedt, Paul
- 2391-2405 The methodology of HIV/AIDS impact studies: a review of current practices
by Booysen, Frederik le R. & Arntz, Tanja
- 2407-2419 The Rule of Rescue
by McKie, John & Richardson, Jeff
- 2421-2431 From damaged nerves to masked depression: inevitability and hope in Latvian psychiatric narratives
by Skultans, V.
- 2433-2441 Using burden of disease information for health planning in developing countries: the experience from Uganda
by Kapiriri, Lydia & Norheim, Ole Frithjof & Heggenhougen, Kristian
- 2443-2448 Does low reading achievement at school entry cause conduct problems?
by Bennett, Kathryn J. & Brown, K. Stephen & Boyle, Michael & Racine, Yvonne & Offord, Dan
- 2449-2460 Pregnant smokers who quit, pregnant smokers who don't: does history of problem behavior make a difference?
by Wakschlag, Lauren S. & Pickett, Kate E. & Middlecamp, Molly K. & Walton, Laura L. & Tenzer, Penny & Leventhal, Bennett L.
- 2461-2466 Evaluation of primary health care reform in Estonia
by Koppel, Agris & Meiesaar, Kersti & Valtonen, Hannu & Metsa, Andrus & Lember, Margus
- 2467-2478 Community stress, demoralization, and body mass index: evidence for social signal transduction
by Wallace, Deborah & Wallace, Rodrick & Rauh, Virginia
- 2479-2491 Variation in physicians' definitions of the competent parent and other barriers to guideline adherence: the case of pediatric minor head injury management
by Sobo, Elisa J. & Kurtin, Paul
- 2493-2503 Country of birth, instrumental activities of daily living, self-rated health and mortality: a Swedish population-based survey of people aged 55-74
by Pudaric, Sonja & Sundquist, Jan & Johansson, Sven-Erik
- 2505-2514 Sociodemographics, self-rated health, and mortality in the US
by Franks, Peter & Gold, Marthe R. & Fiscella, Kevin
- 2515-2527 Civil war and child health: regional and ethnic dimensions of child immunization and malnutrition in Angola
by Agadjanian, Victor & Prata, Ndola
- 2529-2539 Politics of leprosy segregation in Japan: the emergence, transformation and abolition of the patient segregation policy
by Sato, Hajime & Narita, Minoru
- 2541-2553 A spatial analysis of county-level variation in hospitalization rates for low back problems in North Carolina
by Joines, Jerry D. & Hertz-Picciotto, Irva & Carey, Timothy S. & Gesler, Wilbert & Suchindran, Chirayath
- 2555-2564 Understanding long-standing illness among older people
by Gooberman-Hill, Rachael & Ayis, Salma & Ebrahim, Shah
- 2565-2565 Response to Gilbert & Walker 'Treading the path of least resistance'
by Kagee, Ashraf
by Gilbert, L. & Walker, L.
June 2003, Volume 56, Issue 11
- 2243-2244 Vulnerable places: contextualizing health practices
by Malone, Ruth E.
- 2245-2247 From space to place in contemporary health care
by Casey, Edward S.
- 2249-2261 Hidden places, uncommon persons
by Kaufman, Sharon R.
- 2263-2275 Space, place and movement as aspects of health care in three women's prisons
by Stoller, Nancy
- 2277-2288 Bioethics and rural health: theorizing place, space, and subjects
by Kelly, Susan E.
- 2289-2301 From home to hospital and back again: economic restructuring, end of life, and the gendered problems of place-switching health services
by Cartier, Carolyn
- 2303-2315 Placing private health care: reading Ascot hospital in the landscape of contemporary Auckland
by Kearns, Robin A. & Ross Barnett, J. & Newman, Daniel
- 2317-2326 Distal nursing
by Malone, Ruth E.
- 2327-2342 Locating gene-environment interaction: at the intersections of genetics and public health
by Shostak, Sara
- 2343-2351 Bio-medical Topoi--the dominance of space, the recalcitrance of place, and the making of persons
by Malpas, Jeff
May 2003, Volume 56, Issue 10
- 2009-2018 Community tuberculosis care through "TB clubs" in rural North Ethiopia
by Demissie, M. & Getahun, H. & Lindtjørn, B.
- 2019-2031 With the help of one's neighbors: externalities in the production of nutrition in Peru
by Alderman, Harold & Hentschel, Jesko & Sabates, Ricardo
- 2033-2044 Changing the nature of physician referral relationships in the US: the impact of managed care
by Anthony, Denise
- 2045-2057 Ultrasound screening in pregnancy: advancing technology, soft markers for fetal chromosomal aberrations, and unacknowledged ethical dilemmas
by Getz, Linn & Kirkengen, Anne Luise
- 2059-2072 Health selection in the Whitehall II study, UK
by Chandola, Tarani & Bartley, Mel & Sacker, Amanda & Jenkinson, Crispin & Marmot, Michael
- 2073-2088 Changes in the spatial pattern of low birth weight in a southern California county: the role of individual and neighborhood level factors
by English, Paul B. & Kharrazi, Martin & Davies, Stephanie & Scalf, Rusty & Waller, Lance & Neutra, Raymond
- 2089-2096 Searching for an optimum solution to the Bangladesh arsenic crisis
by Caldwell, Bruce K. & Caldwell, John C. & Mitra, S. N. & Smith, Wayne
- 2097-2108 The unfortunate generation: stroke survivors in Riga, Latvia
by McKevitt, Christopher & Luse, Agita & Wolfe, Charles
- 2109-2121 Implications of women's work for child nutritional status in sub-Saharan Africa: a case study of Nigeria
by Ukwuani, Festus A. & Suchindran, Chirayath M.
- 2123-2137 The effect of structural characteristics on family planning program performance in Côte d'Ivoire and Nigeria
by Mancini, Dominic J. & Stecklov, Guy & Stewart, John F.
- 2139-2152 Hostility, unemployment and health status: testing three theoretical models
by Kivimäki, Mika & Elovainio, Marko & Kokko, Katja & Pulkkinen, Lea & Kortteinen, Matti & Tuomikoski, Hannu
- 2153-2163 Evaluation of three interventions to promote workplace health and safety: evidence for the utility of implementation intentions
by Sheeran, Paschal & Silverman, Michael
- 2165-2180 Longitudinal analyses of the relationship between unsupportive social interactions and psychological adjustment among women with fertility problems
by Mindes, Erica J. & Ingram, Kathleen M. & Kliewer, Wendy & James, Cathy A.
- 2181-2189 A comparison of the reliability of the take-it-or-leave-it and the bidding game approaches to estimating willingness-to-pay in a rural population in West Africa
by Dong, Hengjin & Kouyate, Bocar & Cairns, John & Sauerborn, Rainer
- 2191-2200 Stigma revisited, disclosure of emotional problems in primary care consultations in Wales
by Prior, Lindsay & Wood, Fiona & Lewis, Glyn & Pill, Roisin
- 2201-2210 Referral to rehabilitation following traumatic brain injury: a model for understanding inequities in access
by Foster, Michele & Tilse, Cheryl
- 2211-2220 Houseofficers' reactions to media coverage about the sequencing of the human genome
by Geller, Gail & Tambor, Ellen S. & Bernhardt, Barbara A. & Rodgers, Joann & Holtzman, Neil A.
- 2221-2228 An investigation into expectation-led interviewer effects in health surveys
by Clarke, Paul & Sproston, Kerry & Thomas, Roger
- 2229-2239 Reform and autonomy: perceptions of the Australian general practice community
by Marjoribanks, Tim & Lewis, Jenny M.
May 2003, Volume 56, Issue 9
- 1831-1836 Reproduction gone awry: medical anthropological perspectives
by Jenkins, Gwynne L. & Inhorn, Marcia C.
- 1837-1851 Global infertility and the globalization of new reproductive technologies: illustrations from Egypt
by Inhorn, Marcia C.
- 1853-1866 With or against nature? IVF, gender and reproductive agency in Athens, Greece
by Paxson, Heather
- 1867-1880 Why adoption is not an option in India: the visibility of infertility, the secrecy of donor insemination, and other cultural complexities
by Bharadwaj, Aditya
- 1881-1891 Unhappy endings: a feminist reappraisal of the women's health movement from the vantage of pregnancy loss
by Layne, Linda L.
- 1893-1909 Burning bridges: policy, practice, and the destruction of midwifery in rural Costa Rica
by Jenkins, Gwynne L.
- 1911-1931 Home-birth emergencies in the US and Mexico: the trouble with transport
by Davis-Floyd, Robbie
- 1933-1946 Genetic counseling gone awry: miscommunication between prenatal genetic service providers and Mexican-origin clients
by Browner, C. H. & Mabel Preloran, H. & Casado, Maria Christina & Bass, Harold N. & Walker, Ann P.
- 1947-1960 Emplotting children's lives: developmental delay vs. disability
by Landsman, Gail
- 1961-1972 Polygamy, disrupted reproduction, and the state: Malian migrants in Paris, France
by Sargent, Carolyn & Cordell, Dennis
- 1973-1986 Antiabortion positions and young women's life plans in contemporary Ireland
by Oaks, Laury
- 1987-2001 Post-diagnostic abortion in Germany: reproduction gone awry, again?
by Erikson, Susan L.
April 2003, Volume 56, Issue 8
- 1607-1615 Same-sex attraction in a birth cohort: prevalence and persistence in early adulthood
by Dickson, Nigel & Paul, Charlotte & Herbison, Peter
- 1617-1628 How important is sex in later life? The views of older people
by Gott, Merryn & Hinchliff, Sharron
- 1629-1642 Managing menopause: a qualitative analysis of self-help literature for women at midlife
by Lyons, Antonia C. & Griffin, Christine
- 1643-1652 Feminist ethics and menopause: autonomy and decision-making in primary medical care
by Murtagh, Madeleine J. & Hepworth, Julie
- 1653-1660 Factors predicting choice of treatment for menorrhagia in gynaecology outpatient clinics
by Vuorma, Sirkku & Rissanen, Pekka & Aalto, Anna-Mari & Kujansuu, Erkki & Hurskainen, Ritva & Teperi, Juha
- 1661-1667 Elderly people's ratings of the importance of health-related factors to their self-assessments of health
by Benyamini, Yael & Leventhal, Elaine A. & Leventhal, Howard
- 1669-1676 What lies behind the subjective evaluation of health status?
by Kaplan, Giora & Baron-Epel, Orna
- 1677-1691 Undernutrition in Benin--an analysis based on graphical models
by Caputo, Angelika & Foraita, Ronja & Klasen, Stephan & Pigeot, Iris
- 1693-1703 Developing a framework for assessment of the environmental determinants of walking and cycling
by Pikora, Terri & Giles-Corti, Billie & Bull, Fiona & Jamrozik, Konrad & Donovan, Rob
- 1705-1717 Social and health determinants of the efficiency of cotton farmers in Northern Côte d'Ivoire
by Audibert, Martine & Mathonnat, Jacky & Henry, Marie-Claire
- 1719-1726 Indigenous social insurance as an alternative financing mechanism for health care in Ethiopia (the case of eders)
by Mariam, Damen Haile
- 1727-1736 The influence of cost-effectiveness information on physicians' cancer screening recommendations
by Ubel, Peter A. & Jepson, Christopher & Baron, Jonathan & Hershey, John C. & Asch, David A.
- 1737-1747 Self-esteem and women with disabilities
by Nosek, Margaret A. & Hughes, Rosemary B. & Swedlund, Nancy & Taylor, Heather B. & Swank, Paul
- 1749-1760 "Good jobs" to "bad jobs": replicated evidence of an employment continuum from two large surveys
by Grzywacz, Joseph G. & Dooley, David
- 1761-1772 Quality of life in an urban Asian population: the impact of ethnicity and socio-economic status
by Thumboo, Julian & Fong, Kok-Yong & Machin, David & Chan, Siew-Pang & Soh, Chang-Heok & Leong, Keng-Hong & Feng, Pao-Hsii & Thio, Szu-tien & Boey, Mee-Leng
- 1773-1782 Primary health and social care services in the UK: progress towards partnership?
by Rummery, Kirstein & Coleman, Anna
- 1783-1788 Suicide attempts in the United States: the role of physical illness
by Goodwin, Renee D. & Marusic, Andrej & Hoven, Christina W.
- 1789-1796 Predictors of adherence to treatment for latent tuberculosis infection in high-risk Latino adolescents: a behavioral epidemiological analysis
by Hovell, Melbourne & Blumberg, Elaine & Gil-Trejo, Laura & Vera, Alicia & Kelley, Norma & Sipan, Carol & Hofstetter, C. Richard & Marshall, Sandra & Berg, Jill & Friedman, Lawrence & Catanzaro, Antonino & Moser, Kathleen
- 1797-1805 Social capital and neighborhood mortality rates in Chicago
by Lochner, Kimberly A. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Brennan, Robert T. & Buka, Stephen L.
- 1807-1816 Economy, community and mortality in British Columbia, Canada
by Veenstra, Gerry
- 1817-1830 Social relations and self-reported health: a prospective analysis of the French Gazel cohort
by Melchior, Maria & Berkman, Lisa F. & Niedhammer, Isabelle & Chea, Maline & Goldberg, Marcel
April 2003, Volume 56, Issue 7
- 1373-1384 Social representations of HIV/AIDS in Central and Eastern Europe
by Goodwin, Robin & Kozlova, Alexandra & Kwiatkowska, Anna & Anh Nguyen Luu, Lan & Nizharadze, George & Realo, Anu & Külvet, Ahto & Rämmer, Andu
- 1385-1395 Trends in mortality attributable to current alcohol consumption in east and west Germany
by Nolte, Ellen & Britton, Annie & McKee, Martin
- 1397-1410 Socioeconomic differences in dietary patterns among middle-aged men and women
by Martikainen, Pekka & Brunner, Eric & Marmot, Michael
- 1411-1424 Behavioral risk factors for STD/HIV transmission in Bangladesh's trucking industry
by Gibney, Laura & Saquib, Nazmus & Metzger, Jesse
- 1425-1438 An examination of social capital and social disorganisation in neighbourhoods in the British household panel study
by McCulloch, Andrew
- 1439-1445 Public health ethics: teaching survey and critical review
by Kessel, Anthony S.
- 1447-1452 The effect of point of reference on the association between self-rated health and mortality
by Manderbacka, Kristiina & Kåreholt, Ingemar & Martikainen, Pekka & Lundberg, Olle
- 1453-1468 Trust and the development of health care as a social institution
by Gilson, Lucy
- 1469-1480 Nostalgic and nostophobic referencing and the authentication of nurses' use of complementary therapies
by Tovey, Philip & Adams, Jon
- 1481-1492 Tobacco dependence: adolescents' perspectives on the need to smoke
by Johnson, Joy L. & Bottorff, Joan L. & Moffat, Barbara & Ratner, Pamela A. & Shoveller, Jean A. & Lovato, Chris Y.
- 1493-1504 The role of performance indicators in changing the autonomy of the general practice profession in the UK
by Exworthy, M. & Wilkinson, E. K. & McColl, A. & Moore, M. & Roderick, P. & Smith, H. & Gabbay, J.
- 1505-1515 Charitable food assistance as symbolic gesture: an ethnographic study of food banks in Ontario
by Tarasuk, Valerie & Eakin, Joan M.
- 1517-1530 How did Finland's economic recession in the early 1990s affect socio-economic equity in the use of hospital care?
by Keskimäki, Ilmo
- 1531-1541 Reliability of health utility measures and a test of values clarification
by Shiell, Alan & Hawe, Penelope & Fletcher, Megan
- 1543-1555 Marital status changes and body weight changes: a US longitudinal analysis
by Sobal, Jeffery & Rauschenbach, Barbara & Frongillo, Edward A.
- 1557-1570 Evaluating the influence of implicit models of mental disorder on processes of shared decision making within community-based multi-disciplinary teams
by Colombo, A. & Bendelow, G. & Fulford, B. & Williams, S.
- 1571-1579 Spirituality and attempted suicide among American Indians
by Garroutte, Eva Marie & Goldberg, Jack & Beals, Janette & Herrell, Richard & Manson, Spero M.
- 1581-1594 The role of choice in health education intervention trials: a review and case study
by Janevic, Mary R. & Janz, Nancy K. & Dodge, Julia A. & Lin, Xihong & Pan, Wenqin & Sinco, Brandy R. & Clark, Noreen M.
- 1595-1604 The new subjective medicine: taking the patient's point of view on health care and health
by Sullivan, Mark
March 2003, Volume 56, Issue 6
- 1139-1153 Mortality, inequality and race in American cities and states
by Deaton, Angus & Lubotsky, Darren
- 1155-1171 AIDS in the HAART era: New York's heterogeneous geography
by Wallace, Robert G.
- 1173-1182 Respiratory illness in the Dominican Republic: what are the predictors for health services utilization of young children?
by Thind, Amardeep & Andersen, Ronald
- 1183-1196 Quality of care and the demand for health services in Bamako, Mali: the specific roles of structural, process, and outcome components
by Mariko, Mamadou
- 1197-1207 Generating political will for safe motherhood in Indonesia
by Shiffman, Jeremy
- 1209-1220 A new theory of health promoting schools based on human functioning, school organisation and pedagogic practice
by Markham, Wolfgang A. & Aveyard, Paul
- 1221-1234 Religion and women's health in Ghana: insights into HIV/AIDs preventive and protective behavior
by Takyi, Baffour K.
- 1235-1247 Dimensions of the emerging orphan crisis in sub-Saharan Africa
by Bicego, George & Rutstein, Shea & Johnson, Kiersten
- 1249-1260 Motherhood as a vulnerability factor in major depression: the role of negative pregnancy experiences
by Bernazzani, Odette & Bifulco, Antonia
- 1261-1267 "It's like an addiction first thing... afterwards it's like a habit": daily smoking behaviour among people living in areas of deprivation
by Bancroft, Angus & Wiltshire, Susan & Parry, Odette & Amos, Amanda
- 1269-1278 Health and safety in policing: lessons from the regulation of CS sprays in the UK
by Rappert, Brian
- 1279-1293 Different frames, different fears: communicating about chlorinated drinking water and cancer in the Canadian media
by Driedger, S. Michelle & Eyles, John
- 1295-1305 Implementing participatory intervention and research in communities: lessons from the Kahnawake Schools Diabetes Prevention Project in Canada
by Potvin, Louise & Cargo, Margaret & McComber, Alex M. & Delormier, Treena & Macaulay, Ann C.
- 1307-1320 Informal HIV caregiving in a vulnerable population: toward a network resource framework
by Knowlton, Amy R.
- 1321-1333 Subjective social status: its determinants and its association with measures of ill-health in the Whitehall II study
by Singh-Manoux, Archana & Adler, Nancy E. & Marmot, Michael G.
- 1335-1344 Sociological influences on antidepressant prescribing
by Sleath, Betsy & Tina Shih, Ya-Chen
- 1345-1354 The impact of attitudes and beliefs on length of benzodiazepine use: a study among inexperienced and experienced benzodiazepine users
by van Hulten, Rolf & Bakker, Arnold B & Lodder, Aart C & Teeuw, K Bart & Bakker, Albert & Leufkens, Hubert G
- 1355-1367 'Double or quits': perceptions and management of organ transplantation by adults with cystic fibrosis
by Lowton, Karen
March 2003, Volume 56, Issue 5
- 905-913 Disclosure of cancer diagnosis and prognosis in Northern Tanzania
by Harris, Julian J. & Shao, John & Sugarman, Jeremy
- 915-920 Social psychological correlates of paying attention to cancer symptoms and seeking medical help
by de Nooijer, Jascha & Lechner, Lilian & de Vries, Hein
- 921-934 Assessing the quality of life of patients in phase I and II anti-cancer drug trials: interviews versus questionnaires
by Cox, Karen
- 935-947 Health inequalities in the older population: the role of personal capital, social resources and socio-economic circumstances
by Grundy, Emily & Sloggett, Andy
- 949-960 The effect of social relations with children on the education-health link in men and women aged 40 and over
by Antonucci, Toni C. & Ajrouch, Kristine J. & Janevic, Mary R.
- 961-971 Trends in the association between average income, poverty and income inequality and life expectancy in Spain
by Regidor, Enrique & Calle, M. Elisa & Navarro, Pedro & Domínguez, Vicente
- 973-985 Psychological distress during unemployment and beyond: social support and material deprivation among youth in six northern European countries
by Bjarnason, Thoroddur & Sigurdardottir, Thordis J.
- 987-1000 Trends in social inequality in self-reported health in the Netherlands; does infant mortality in year of birth as a cohort indicator matter?
by Monden, Christiaan W. S. & Kraaykamp, Gerbert & Dirk De Graaf, Nan
- 1001-1012 Involving the general public in priority setting: experiences from Australia
by Wiseman, V. & Mooney, G. & Berry, G. & Tang, K. C.
- 1013-1021 The vaginitis monologues: women's experiences of vaginal complaints in a primary care setting
by Karasz, Alison & Anderson, Matthew
- 1023-1032 Interpretations of smoking in film by older teenagers
by McCool, Judith P. & Cameron, Linda D. & Petrie, Keith J.
- 1033-1045 Public hazards or private tragedies? An exploratory study of the effect of coroners' procedures on those bereaved by suicide
by Biddle, Lucy
- 1047-1059 Perceptions of health hazards in the narratives of Italian migrant workers at an Australian asbestos mine (1943-1966)
by Cappelletto, Francesca & Merler, Enzo
- 1061-1072 The M-C-M' cycle and social capital
by Hean, Sarah & Cowley, Sarah & Forbes, Angus & Griffiths, Peter & Maben, Jill
- 1073-1085 A community-based assessment of learning disabilities using environmental and contextual risk factors
by Margai, Florence & Henry, Norah
- 1087-1098 Culture and therapy: complementary strategies for the treatment of type-2 diabetes in an urban setting in Kerala, India
by Chacko, Elizabeth
- 1099-1109 Diversity in lay perceptions of the sources of human traits: genes, environments, and personal behaviors
by Parrott, Roxanne L. & Silk, Kami J. & Condit, Celeste
- 1111-1120 Social capital and sense of insecurity in the neighbourhood: a population-based multilevel analysis in Malmö, Sweden
by Lindström, Martin & Merlo, Juan & Östergren, Per-Olof
- 1121-1133 Valuing the benefits and costs of health care programmes: where's the 'extra' in extra-welfarism?
by Birch, Stephen & Donaldson, Cam
- 1135-1138 Somatic fixation: the harm of healing
by Biderman, Aya & Yeheskel, Ayala & Herman, Joseph
February 2003, Volume 56, Issue 4
- 671-684 Evaluating meta-ethnography: a synthesis of qualitative research on lay experiences of diabetes and diabetes care
by Campbell, Rona & Pound, Pandora & Pope, Catherine & Britten, Nicky & Pill, Roisin & Morgan, Myfanwy & Donovan, Jenny
- 685-700 Evaluation of midwifery care: results from a survey in rural Guatemala
by Goldman, Noreen & Glei, Dana A.
- 701-712 Rapid assessment procedures of malaria in low endemic countries: community perceptions in Jepara district, Indonesia
by Utarini, Adi & Winkvist, Anna & Ulfa, Fahmi Maria
- 713-724 War, gender and culture: Mozambican women refugees
by Sideris, Tina
- 725-738 International NGOs and primary health care in Mozambique: the need for a new model of collaboration
by Pfeiffer, James
- 739-751 Subfecundity and anxiety in a nationally representative sample
by King, Rosalind Berkowitz
- 753-768 Provider bias in the treatment of diarrhea among boys and girls attending public facilities in Minia, Egypt
by Yount, Kathryn M.
- 769-784 The measurement of SES in health research: current practice and steps toward a new approach
by Oakes, J. Michael & Rossi, Peter H.
- 785-792 Does active leisure protect cognition? Evidence from a national birth cohort
by Richards, Marcus & Hardy, Rebecca & Wadsworth, Michael E. J.
- 793-801 Burial at Srebrenica: linking place and trauma
by Pollack, Craig Evan
- 803-814 Eliciting preferences of the community for out of hours care provided by general practitioners: a stated preference discrete choice experiment
by Scott, Anthony & Watson, M. Stuart & Ross, Sue
- 815-819 Psychosocial burden of [beta]-thalassaemia major in Antalya, south Turkey
by Canatan, Duran & Ratip, Siret & Kaptan, Saniye & Cosan, Rüya
- 821-833 In search of a Healing Place: Aboriginal women in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside
by Benoit, Cecilia & Carroll, Dena & Chaudhry, Munaza
- 835-849 "Patient counselling" by pharmacists: four approaches to the delivery of counselling sequences and their interactional reception
by Pilnick, Alison
- 851-862 Ethnic differences in choices of health information by cancer patients using complementary and alternative medicine: an exploratory study with correspondence analysis
by Kakai, Hisako & Maskarinec, Gertraud & Shumay, Dianne M. & Tatsumura, Yvonne & Tasaki, Katsuya
- 863-868 Menstrual-related changes expected by premenarcheal girls living in rural and urban areas of Mexico
by Marván, María Luisa & Vacio, Angeles & Espinosa-Hernández, Graciela
- 869-882 The risk of smoking in relation to engagement with a school-based smoking intervention
by Aveyard, Paul & Markham, Wolfgang A & Almond, Joanne & Lancashire, Emma & Cheng, K. K.
- 883-894 Gender differences in excessive daytime sleepiness among Japanese workers
by Doi, Yuriko & Minowa, Masumi
- 895-897 Commentary on: A psychometric analysis of the measurement level of the rating scale, time trade-off, and standard gamble, by Cook et al
by Hawthorne, Graeme & Osborne, Richard H. & Elliott, Peter
February 2003, Volume 56, Issue 3
- 439-448 'Let me explain': narrative emplotment and one patient's experience of oral cancer
by Crossley, Michele L.
- 449-464 Moving from information transfer to information exchange in health and health care
by Lee, Renée Gravois & Garvin, Theresa
- 465-476 Norms, social networks, and HIV-related risk behaviors among urban disadvantaged drug users
by Latkin, Carl A. & Forman, Valerie & Knowlton, Amy & Sherman, Susan
- 477-490 Tuberculosis mortality and recent childbirth: a retrospective case-control study of Gibraltarian women, 1874-1884
by Burke, Stacie D. A. & Sawchuk, Lawrence A.
- 491-499 'They look like my kind of people'--perceptions of smoking images in youth magazines
by MacFadyen, Lynn & Amos, Amanda & Hastings, Gerard & Parkes, Edward
- 501-515 Re-reading the IPSS research record
by Williams, Charmaine C.
- 517-529 Can the school make a difference? A multilevel analysis of adolescent risk and health behaviour
by Maes, Lea & Lievens, John
- 531-550 Life in a secure unit: the rehabilitation of young people through the use of sport
by Andrews, Justin P. & Andrews, Gavin J.
- 551-567 Impacts of an environmental disaster on psychosocial health and well-being in Karakalpakstan
by Crighton, Eric J. & Elliott, Susan J. & Meer, Joost van der & Small, Ian & Upshur, Ross
- 569-572 Perception of risk and subjective health among victims of the Chernobyl disaster
by Havenaar, J. M. & de Wilde, E. J. & van den Bout, J. & Drottz-Sjöberg, B. M. & van den Brink, W.
- 573-587 Causes and health consequences of environmental degradation and social injustice
by Donohoe, Martin
- 589-602 What are the ingredients for a successful evidence-based patient choice consultation?: A qualitative study
by Ford, Sarah & Schofield, Theo & Hope, Tony
- 603-616 A certain art of uncertainty: case presentation and the development of professional identity
by Lingard, L. & Garwood, K. & Schryer, C. F. & Spafford, M. M.
- 617-630 Sandwiching it in: spillover of work onto food choices and family roles in low- and moderate-income urban households
by Devine, Carol M. & Connors, Margaret M. & Sobal, Jeffery & Bisogni, Carole A.
- 631-642 Gender and coping: the parents of children with high functioning autism
by Gray, David E.
- 643-655 A model of mother-child coping and adjustment to HIV
by Hough, Edythe S. & Brumitt, Gail & Templin, Thomas & Saltz, Eli & Mood, Darlene
- 657-669 African-Caribbean interactions with mental health services in the UK: experiences and expectations of exclusion as (re)productive of health inequalities
by Mclean, Carl & Campbell, Catherine & Cornish, Flora
January 2003, Volume 56, Issue 2
- 203-217 Two views of self-rated general health status
by Bailis, Daniel S. & Segall, Alexander & Chipperfield, Judith G.
- 219-234 Inherited burden of disease: agricultural dams and the persistence of bloody urine (Schistosomiasis hematobium) in the Upper East Region of Ghana, 1959-1997
by Hunter, John M.
- 235-245 Understanding lesbians' healthcare behaviour: the case of breast self-examination
by Fish, J. & Wilkinson, S.
- 247-257 Social relations and depressive symptoms in older adults with knee osteoarthritis
by Sherman, Aurora M.
- 259-269 Volunteering and depression: the role of psychological and social resources in different age groups
by Musick, Marc A. & Wilson, John
- 271-284 Unraveling the mysteries of timing: women's perceptions about time to treatment for cardiac symptoms
by Schoenberg, Nancy E. & Peters, Jane C. & Drew, Elaine M.
- 285-297 The feasibility of using ethnicity as a primary tool for antenatal selective screening for sickle cell disorders: pointers from the research evidence
by Aspinall, Peter J. & Dyson, Simon M. & Anionwu, Elizabeth N.
- 299-312 Subjective experiences of stigma. A focus group study of schizophrenic patients, their relatives and mental health professionals
by Schulze, Beate & Angermeyer, Matthias C.
- 313-320 Online commentary during the physical examination: a communication tool for avoiding inappropriate antibiotic prescribing?
by Mangione-Smith, Rita & Stivers, Tanya & Elliott, Marc & McDonald, Laurie & Heritage, John