Social Science & Medicine
1999, Volume 49, Issue 2
1999, Volume 49, Issue 1
- 1-16 Effect of price and access on contraceptive use
by Levin, Ann & Caldwell, Bruce & Khuda, Barkat-e
- 17-26 Production gains from health care: what should be included in cost-effectiveness analyses?
by Olsen, Jan Abel & Richardson, Jeff
- 27-38 The referral process and urban health care in sub-Saharan Africa: the case of Lusaka, Zambia
by Atkinson, Sarah & Ngwengwe, Alasford & Macwan'gi, Mubiana & Ngulube, T. J. & Harpham, Trudy & O'Connell, Andrew
- 39-53 Power between evaluator and community: research relationships within New Mexico's healthier communities
by Wallerstein, Nina
- 55-66 Between intention and behavior: an application of community pharmacists' assessment of pharmaceutical care
by Farris, Karen B. & Schopflocher, Donald P.
- 67-80 Exploring the bio-psycho-social approach to premenstrual experiences
by Anson, Ofra
- 81-91 Urban and rural suicide differentials in migrants and the Australian-born, New South Wales, Australia 1985-1994
by Morrell, Stephen & Taylor, Richard & Slaytor, Emma & Ford, Paul
- 93-108 Ecological pattern of first admitted schizophrenics in two German cities over 25 years
by Löffler, W. & Häfner, H.
- 109-120 The sense of coherence, occupation and the risk of coronary heart disease in the Helsinki Heart Study
by Poppius, Esko & Tenkanen, Leena & Kalimo, Raija & Heinsalmi, Pertti
- 121-131 Does employment improve the health of lone mothers?
by Baker, D. & North, K.
- 133-142 Social support at age 33: the influence of gender, employment status and social class
by Matthews, Sharon & Stansfeld, Stephen & Power, Chris
- 143-149 Morbidity and quality of life and the moderating effects of level of education in the elderly
by Kempen, Gertrudis I. J. M. & Brilman, Els I. & Ranchor, Adelita V. & Ormel, Johan
1999, Volume 48, Issue 12
- 1701-1711 Neighbourhood characteristics and use of benzodiazepines in The Netherlands
by Groenewegen, Peter P. & Leufkens, Hubert G. & Spreeuwenberg, Peter & Worm, Wilmar
- 1713-1720 Do risk factors and health behaviours contribute to self-ratings of health?
by Manderbacka, Kristiina & Lundberg, Olle & Martikainen, Pekka
- 1721-1734 Social support, social selection and self-assessed health status: results from the veterans health study in the United States
by Ren, Xinhua S. & Skinner, Katherine & Lee, Austin & Kazis, Lewis
- 1735-1742 The influence of the cardiac surgery patient's sex and age on care-giving received
by King, Kathryn M. & Koop, Priscilla M.
- 1743-1750 Disease activity and severity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: relations to socioeconomic inequality
by Brekke, Mette & Hjortdahl, Per & Thelle, Dag S. & Kvien, Tore K.
- 1751-1758 Social inequalities in male mortality amenable to medical intervention in British Columbia
by Wood, Evan & Sallar, Anthony M. & Schechter, Martin T. & Hogg, Robert S.
- 1759-1777 Explaining differential rates of mortality decline for Swedish men and women: a time-series analysis, 1945-1992
by Hemström, Örjan
- 1779-1789 Ethnicity and attitudes towards life sustaining technology
by Blackhall, Leslie J. & Frank, Gelya & Murphy, Sheila T. & Michel, Vicki & Palmer, Joycelynne M. & Azen, Stanley P.
- 1791-1802 The meanings of pain: an exploration of women's descriptions of symptoms
by Johansson, Eva E. & Hamberg, Katarina & Westman, Göran & Lindgren, Gerd
- 1803-1820 The health transition, global modernity and the crisis of traditional medicine: the Tibetan case
by Janes, Craig R.
- 1821-1832 The historical roots of high rates of infant death in Aboriginal communities in Canada in the early twentieth century: the case of Fisher River, Manitoba
by Moffat, Tina & Herring, Ann
- 1833-1850 Disease and immunity in the pre-Spanish Philippines
by Newson, Linda A.
- 1851-1856 The health impact of smoking in manual and non-manual social class men and women: a test of the Blaxter hypothesis
by Marang-van de Mheen, Perla J. & Davey Smith, George & Hart, Carole L.
- 1857-1860 Will genetic testing for predisposition for disease result in fatalism? A qualitative study of parents responses to neonatal screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia
by Senior, Victoria & Marteau, Theresa M. & Peters, Timothy J.
1999, Volume 48, Issue 11
- 1507-1515 Integrating response shift into health-related quality of life research: a theoretical model
by Sprangers, Mirjam A. G. & Schwartz, Carolyn E.
- 1517-1530 Social comparison as a mediator of response shift
by Gibbons, F. X.
- 1531-1548 Methodological approaches for assessing response shift in longitudinal health-related quality-of-life research
by Schwartz, Carolyn E. & Sprangers, Mirjam A. G.
- 1549-1561 Discrepancies between self-reported and observed physical function in the elderly: the influence of response shift and other factors
by Daltroy, Lawren H. & Larson, Martin G. & Eaton, Holley M. & Phillips, Charlotte B. & Liang, Matthew H.
- 1563-1575 Helping others helps oneself: response shift effects in peer support
by Schwartz, Carolyn E. & Sendor, Rabbi Meir
- 1577-1588 Clinical understanding and clinical implications of response shift
by B. Wilson, Ira
- 1589-1598 The role of the privatization process on tuberculosis control in HoChiMinh City Province, Vietnam
by Naterop, Eric & Wolffers, Ivan
- 1599-1611 Economic and health efficiency of education funding policy
by Curtin, T. R. C. & Nelson, E. A. S.
- 1613-1623 The impact of perinatal loss on adjustment to subsequent pregnancy
by Franche, Renée-Louise & Mikail, Samuel F.
- 1625-1639 Beyond the biomedical and behavioural: towards an integrated approach to HIV prevention in the Southern African mining industry
by Campbell, Catherine & Williams, Brian
- 1641-1654 Cognitive predictors of adherence to malaria prophylaxis regimens on return from a malarious region: a prospective study
by Abraham, Charles & Clift, Stephen & Grabowski, Peter
- 1655-1667 Harmonising and competing for medicines regulation: how healthy are the European Union's systems of drug approval?
by Abraham, John & Lewis, Graham
- 1669-1684 Preventive behavior among recent immigrants: Russian-speaking women and cancer screening in Israel
by Remennick, Larissa I.
- 1685-1695 Stories of illness and trauma survival: liberation or repression?
by Crossley, Michele L.
1999, Volume 48, Issue 10
- 1307-1319 Power, control and resistance in the timing of health and care
by Fox, Nick J
- 1321-1332 Spatiality, embodiment and hazards encountered in the making of pots
by Bellaby, Paul
- 1333-1340 Family structure and patient survival in an African-American end-stage renal disease population: a preliminary investigation
by Turner-Musa, Jocelyn & Leidner, David & Simmens, Samuel & Reiss, David & Kimmel, Paul L & Holder, Barbara
- 1341-1352 Information needs in terminal illness
by Kutner, Jean S & Steiner, John F & Corbett, Kitty K & Jahnigen, Dennis W & Barton, Phoebe L
- 1353-1362 Psychosocial problem disclosure by primary care patients
by Robinson, John W & Roter, Debra L
- 1363-1372 Gender, psychosocial factors and the use of medical services: a longitudinal analysis
by Green, Carla A & Pope, Clyde R
- 1373-1393 Psychosocial outcome assessments for use in cardiac rehabilitation service evaluation: a 10-year systematic review
by McGee, H.M. & Hevey, D. & Horgan, J.H.
- 1395-1405 Disability terminology in the media: a comparison of newspaper reports in Canada and Israel
by Auslander, Gail K & Gold, Nora
- 1407-1414 The `dop' system, alcohol abuse and social control amongst farm workers in South Africa: a public health challenge
by London, Leslie
- 1415-1432 The impact of market oriented reforms on choice and information: a case study of cataract surgery in outer London and Stockholm
by Fotaki, Marianna
- 1433-1440 Demographic and socio-economic determinants of community and hospital services costs for people with HIV/AIDS in London
by Kupek, Emil & Dooley, Mary & Whitaker, Luke & Petrou, Stavros & Renton, Adrian
- 1441-1448 Doing a shotgun: a drug use practice and its relationship to sexual behaviors and infection risk
by Perlman, David C & Henman, Anthony R & Kochems, Lee & Paone, Denise & Salomon, Nadim & Des Jarlais, Don C
- 1449-1462 A critique of seven assumptions behind psychological trauma programmes in war-affected areas
by Summerfield, Derek
- 1463-1474 `With the best of reasons': cervical cancer prevention policy and the suppression of sexual risk factor information
by Braun, Virginia & Gavey, Nicola
- 1475-1481 Political self-characterization of US women physicians
by Frank, Erica
- 1483-1490 Geographies of health perception in Québec: a multilevel perspective
by Pampalon, Robert & Duncan, Craig & Subramanian, S.V & Jones, Kelvyn
- 1491-1499 The persisting effect of unemployment on health and social well-being in men early in working life
by Wadsworth, M.E.J & Montgomery, S.M & Bartley, M.J
1999, Volume 48, Issue 9
- 1123-1133 ''You just look at our work and see if you have any freedom on earth'': Ghanaian women's accounts of their work and their health
by Avotri, Joyce Yaa & Walters, Vivienne
- 1135-1148 Antecedents and consequences of work-home interference among medical residents
by Geurts, Sabine & Rutte, Christel & Peeters, Maria
- 1149-1160 The incorporation of different demand concepts in the job demand-control model: effects on health care professionals
by de Jonge, Jan & Mulder, Marike J. G. P. & Nijhuis, Frans J. N.
- 1161-1172 The relationship of functional limitations to disability and the moderating effects of psychological attributes in community-dwelling older persons
by Kempen, Gertrudis I. J. M. & van Heuvelen, Marieke J. G. & van Sonderen, Eric & van den Brink, Rob H. S. & Kooijman, Aart C. & Ormel, Johan
- 1173-1187 Models of disablement, universalism and the international classification of impairments, disabilities and handicaps
by Bickenbach, Jerome E. & Chatterji, Somnath & Badley, E. M. & Üstün, T. B.
- 1189-1203 The power of the visible: the meaning of diagnostic tests in chronic back pain
by Rhodes, Lorna A. & McPhillips-Tangum, Carol A. & Markham, Christine & Klenk, Rebecca
- 1205-1220 A cost-effectiveness analysis of vaccination strategies against N. meningitidis meningitis in sub-Saharan African countries
by Bovier, Patrick A. & Wyss, Kaspar & J. Au, Heather
- 1221-1235 Gender differences in structural and behavioral determinants of health: an analysis of the social production of health
by Denton, Margaret & Walters, Vivienne
- 1237-1245 Do ethnic groups use health services like the majority of the population? A study from Quebec, Canada
by Blais, Régis & Maïga, Aboubacrine
- 1247-1258 No struggle, no strength: how pharmacists lost their monopoly
by Morgall, Janine Marie & Almarsdóttir, Anna Birna
- 1259-1269 Measuring both negative and positive reactions to giving care to cancer patients: psychometric qualities of the Caregiver Reaction Assessment (CRA)
by Nijboer, Chris & Triemstra, Mattanja & Tempelaar, Reike & Sanderman, Robbert & van den Bos, Geertrudis A. M.
- 1271-1280 Extending specialist palliative care to all?
by Field, David & Addington-Hall, Julia
- 1281-1290 The gradient in mammography screening behavior: a lifestyle marker
by Hagoel, Lea & Ore, Liora & Neter, Efrat & Shifroni, Galia & Rennert, Gad
- 1291-1299 The effect of spiritual beliefs on outcome from illness
by King, Michael & Speck, Peter & Thomas, Angela
1999, Volume 48, Issue 8
- 977-988 The disability paradox: high quality of life against all odds
by Albrecht, Gary L. & Devlieger, Patrick J.
- 989-996 Patient satisfaction in developing countries
by Bernhart, Michael H. & Wiadnyana, I. G. P. & Wihardjo, Haryoko & Pohan, Imbalos
- 997-1009 Risk analysis of poor health and growth failure of children in the central highlands of Guatemala
by Immink, Maarten D. C. & Payongayong, Ellen
- 1011-1027 Predictors of childhood immunization completion in a rural population
by Gore, Prasanna & Madhavan, Suresh & Curry, David & McClung, Gordon & Castiglia, Mary & Rosenbluth, Sidney A. & Smego, Raymond A.
- 1029-1046 Starting mental health services in Cambodia
by Somasundaram, Daya J. & van de Put, Willem A. C. M. & Eisenbruch, Maurice & de Jong, Joop T. V. M.
- 1047-1051 From African health and influenza pandemics to disease in Russia: the medical history of K. David Patterson
by Pyle, Gerald F.
- 1053-1067 Attaining health for all through community partnerships: principles of the census-based, impact-oriented (CBIO) approach to primary health care developed in Bolivia, South America
by Perry, Henry & Robison, Nathan & Chavez, Dardo & Taja, Orlando & Carolina Hilari & Shanklin, David & Wyon, John
- 1069-1079 Perceptions of soil-eating and anaemia among pregnant women on the Kenyan coast
by Geissler, P. W. & Prince, R. J. & Levene, M. & Poda, C. & Beckerleg, S. E. & Mutemi, W. & Shulman, C. E.
- 1081-1094 The social ecology of syphilis
by Thomas, James C. & Clark, Michele & Robinson, Jadis & Monnett, Martha & Kilmarx, Peter H. & Peterman, Thomas A.
- 1095-1102 Implications of social class and race for urban public health policy making: a case study of HIV/AIDS and TB policy in Washington, DCThe views in this paper are the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or position of the authors' agencies
by Dievler, Anne & Pappas, Gregory
- 1103-1116 Sexual regimes and sexual networking: the risk of an HIV/AIDS epidemic in Bangladesh
by Caldwell, Bruce & Pieris, Indrani & Barkat-e-Khuda & Caldwell, John & Caldwell, Pat
- 1117-1122 Reliability of perceived health by sex and age
by Martikainen, Pekka & Aromaa, Arpo & Heliövaara, Markku & Klaukka, Timo & Knekt, Paul & Maatela, Jouni & Lahelma, Eero
1999, Volume 48, Issue 7
- 871-879 Developing health insurance in transitional Asia
by Ensor, Tim
- 881-896 Social movements and health insurance: a critical evaluation of voluntary, non-profit insurance schemes with case studies from Ghana and Cameroon
by Atim, Chris
- 897-911 The Bwamanda hospital insurance scheme: effective for whom? A study of its impact on hospital utilization patterns
by Criel, Bart & Van der Stuyft, Patrick & Van Lerberghe, Wim
- 913-923 The social security scheme in Thailand: what lessons can be drawn?
by Tangcharoensathien, Viroj & Supachutikul, Anuwat & Lertiendumrong, Jongkol
- 925-938 The potential for social mobilisation in Bangladesh: the organisation and functioning of two health insurance schemes
by Desmet, M. & Chowdhury, A. Q. & Islam, Md. K.
- 939-950 NGOs in community health insurance schemes: examples from Guatemala and the Philippines
by Ron, Aviva
- 951-960 Rural health prepayment schemes in China: towards a more active role for government
by Bloom, Gerald & Shenglan, Tang
- 961-972 The reform of the rural cooperative medical system in the People's Republic of China: interim experience in 14 pilot counties
by Carrin, Guy & Ron, Aviva & Hui, Yang & Hong, Wang & Tuohong, Zhang & Licheng, Zhang & Shuo, Zhang & Yide, Ye & Jiaying, Chen & Qicheng, Jiang & Zhaoyang, Zhang & Jun, Yu & Xuesheng, Li
1999, Volume 48, Issue 6
- 711-718 Issues in promoting health
by Mechanic, David
- 719-731 Crime: social disorganization and relative deprivation
by Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P. & Wilkinson, Richard G.
- 733-744 Aggregation and the measurement of income inequality: effects on morbidity
by Soobader, Mah-Jabeen & LeClere, Felicia B.
- 745-755 Gender matters: an integrated model for understanding men's and women's health
by Bird, Chloe E. & Rieker, Patricia P.
- 759-775 The relationship between tobacco access and use among adolescents: a four community study
by Altman, David G. & Wheelis, Anne Y. & McFarlane, Mary & Lee, Hye-Ryeon & Fortmann, Stephen P.
- 777-786 Drug policy in China: pharmaceutical distribution in rural areas
by Dong, Hengjin & Bogg, Lennart & Rehnberg, Clas & Diwan, Vinod
- 787-796 Marital food interaction and dietary behavior
by Schafer, Robert B. & Schafer, Elisabeth & Dunbar, Martin & Keith, Patricia M.
- 797-813 Prioritising family health needs: a time-space analysis of women's health-related behaviours
by Young, Ruth
- 815-832 Effectiveness of community-directed diabetes prevention and control in a rural Aboriginal population in British Columbia, Canada
by Daniel, Mark & Green, Lawrence W. & Marion, Stephen A. & Gamble, Diane & Herbert, Carol P. & Hertzman, Clyde & Sheps, Sam B.
- 833-843 Addressing birth in Gaza: using qualitative methods to improve vital registration
by Lewando-Hundt, G. & Abed, Y. & Skeik, M. & Beckerleg, S. & El Alem, A.
- 845-853 Improving drug use: a case study of events which led to changes in use of flucloxacillin in Australia
by Roughead, Elizabeth E. & Gilbert, Andrew L. & Primrose, John G.
1999, Volume 48, Issue 5
- 575-589 Psychological aspects of in vitro fertilization: a review
by Eugster, A. & Vingerhoets, A. J. J. M.
- 591-605 Structuring the meaning of hope in health and illness
by Nekolaichuk, Cheryl L. & Jevne, Ronna F. & Maguire, Thomas O.
- 607-618 Local knowledge and treatment of malaria in Agusan del Sur, The Philippines
by Miguel, Cynthia A. & Tallo, Veronica L. & Manderson, Lenore & Lansang, Mary Ann
- 619-631 Learning from unreliability: the importance of inconsistency in coping dynamics
by Schwartz, Carolyn E. & Daltroy, Lawren H.
- 633-646 Hierarchies and cliques in the social networks of health care professionals: implications for the design of dissemination strategies
by West, Elizabeth & Barron, David N. & Dowsett, Juliet & Newton, John N.
- 647-660 Value added to health by pharmacists
by Indritz, Mary E. S. & Artz, Margaret B.
- 661-673 Social relations: network, support and relational strain
by Due, Pernille & Holstein, Bjørn & Lund, Rikke & Modvig, Jens & Avlund, Kirsten
- 675-682 Short stature and the age of enrolment in Primary School: studies in two African countries
by The Partnership for Child Development
- 683-692 Reducing coronary heart disease in the Australian Coalfields: evaluation of a 10-year community intervention
by Higginbotham, Nick & Heading, Gaynor & McElduff, Patrick & Dobson, Annette & Heller, Richard
- 693-705 Income and health: what is the nature of the relationship?
by Ecob, Russell & Davey Smith, George
1999, Volume 48, Issue 4
- 427-443 The influence of personal care and assistive devices on the measurement of disability
by Agree, Emily M.
- 445-469 Risk factors for functional status decline in community-living elderly people: a systematic literature review
by Stuck, Andreas E. & Walthert, Jutta M. & Nikolaus, Thorsten & Büla, Christophe J. & Hohmann, Christoph & Beck, John C.
- 473-487 Selecting national items for the WHOQOL: conceptual and psychometric considerations
by Skevington, S. M. & Bradshaw, J. & Saxena, S.
- 489-495 Patterns of health seeking behavior during episodes of childhood diarrhea: a study of Tzotzil-speaking Mayans in the highlands of Chiapas, Mexico
by Granich, Reuben & Cantwell, Michael F. & Long, Kurt & Maldonado, Yvonne & Parsonnet, Julie
- 497-505 Smoking and deprivation: are there neighbourhood effects?
by Duncan, Craig & Jones, Kelvyn & Moon, Graham
- 507-521 Epidemics and public health in early colonial Somaliland
by Mohamed, Jama
- 523-534 Medical knowledge and the intractable patient: the case of chronic low back pain
by May, Carl & Doyle, Helen & Chew-Graham, Carolyn
- 535-546 Using conjoint analysis to take account of patient preferences and go beyond health outcomes: an application to in vitro fertilisation
by Ryan, Mandy
- 547-557 HMO physicians' use of referrals
by Bachman, Keith H. & K. Freeborn, Donald
- 559-568 Personal values of male and female doctors: gender aspects
by Neittaanmäki, Liisa & Gross, Edith B. & Virjo, Irma & Hyppölä, Harri & Kumpusalo, Esko
1999, Volume 48, Issue 3
- 283-292 Gender, sexuality, and the prevention of sexually transmissible diseases: a Brazilian study of clinical practice
by Giffin, Karen & Lowndes, Catherine M.
- 293-300 The social impact of HIV testing: a comparative analysis of Britain and Sweden
by Danziger, Renée
- 301-312 Birth intervals, breastfeeding and determinants of childhood mortality in Malawi
by Manda, Samuel O. M.
- 313-320 Postpartum health in a Dhaka slum
by Uzma, Amatul & Underwood, Peter & Atkinson, David & Thackrah, Rose
- 321-329 Accidents to preschool children: comparing family and neighbourhood risk factors
by Reading, Richard & Langford, Ian H. & Haynes, Robin & Lovett, Andrew
- 331-341 Costs of formal care for frail older people in England:: the resource implications study of the MRC cognitive function and ageing study (RIS MRC CFAS)
by McNamee, Paul & Gregson, Barbara A. & Buck, Debbie & Bamford, Claire H. & Bond, John & Wright, Ken
- 343-351 The medical profession and alternative medicine in the Netherlands: its history and recent developments
by Schepers, R. M. J. & Hermans, H. E. G. M.
- 353-361 Procedures and the professional: the case of the British NHS
by Lawton, Rebecca & Parker, Dianne
- 363-374 Complaints against nurses: a reflection of 'the new managerialism' and consumerism in health care?
by Beardwood, Barbara & Walters, Vivienne & Eyles, John & French, Susan
- 375-391 Smoking-attributable medical care costs in the USA
by Miller, Vincent P. & Ernst, Carla & Collin, François
- 393-405 Medicine, economics and agenda-setting
by Lewis, Jenny M. & Considine, Mark
- 407-420 Dentistry and medical dominance
by Adams, Tracey
1999, Volume 48, Issue 2
- 139-148 An evaluation of the informed consent procedure used during a trial of a Haemophilus influenzae type B conjugate vaccine undertaken in The Gambia, West Africa
by Leach, A. & Hilton, S. & Greenwood, B. M. & Manneh, E. & Dibba, B. & Wilkins, A. & Mulholland, E. K.
- 149-162 Women's strategies to alleviate nutritional stress in a rural African society
by Bentley, Gillian R. & Aunger, Robert & Harrigan, Alisa M. & Jenike, Mark & Bailey, Robert C. & Ellison, Peter T.
- 163-172 Ngaka ya setswana, ngaka ya sekgoa or both? Health seeking behaviour in Batswana with pulmonary tuberculosis
by Steen, T. W. & Mazonde, G. N.
- 173-184 Ethnicity, alcohol, and acculturation
by Gutmann, M. C.
- 185-196 Holocaust survivors' perspectives on the euthanasia debate
by Leichtentritt, Ronit D. & Rettig, Kathryn D. & Miles, Steven H.
- 197-212 Risk adjustment and hospital cost-based resource allocation, with an application to El Salvador
by Fiedler, John L. & Wight, Jonathan B. & Schmidt, Robert M.
- 213-225 Obstacles on the path to a primary-care led National Health Service: complexities of outpatient care
by Somerset, Maggie & Faulkner, Alex & Shaw, Alison & Dunn, Liz & Sharp, Deborah J.
- 227-239 Health promotion versus disease and care: failure to establish "blissful clarity" in British nurse education and practice
by Smith, P. & Masterson, A. & Smith, S. Lloyd
- 241-251 Re-forming medical delivery systems: economic organization and dynamics of regional planning and managed competition
by Perkins, Barbara Bridgman
- 253-265 No fathers' names: a risk factor for infant mortality in the State of Georgia, USA
by Gaudino, James A. & Jenkins, Bill & Rochat, Roger W.
- 267-276 Age-related preferences and age weighting health benefits
by Tsuchiya, Aki
1999, Volume 48, Issue 1
- 1-5 Relocating gender and morbidity: examining men's and women's health in contemporary Western societies. Introduction to Special Issue on Gender and Health
by Hunt, Kate & Annandale, Ellen
- 7-19 Gender differences in illhealth in Finland: patterns, magnitude and change
by Lahelma, Eero & Martikainen, Pekka & Rahkonen, Ossi & Silventoinen, Karri
- 21-32 Women's status and the health of women and men: a view from the States
by Kawachi, Ichiro & Kennedy, Bruce P. & Gupta, Vanita & Prothrow-Stith, Deborah
- 33-48 Problematizing gender, work and health: the relationship between gender, occupational grade, working conditions and minor morbidity in full-time bank employees
by Emslie, Carol & Hunt, Kate & Macintyre, Sally
- 49-60 Social inequalities in health: are there gender differences?
by Matthews, Sharon & Manor, Orly & Power, Chris
- 61-76 Gender differences in health in later life: the new paradox?
by Arber, Sara & Cooper, Helen
- 77-87 Gender, social relations and mental health: prospective findings from an occupational cohort (Whitehall II study)
by Fuhrer, R. & Stansfeld, S. A. & Chemali, J. & Shipley, M. J.
- 89-98 Do women 'over-report' morbidity? Men's and women's responses to structured prompting on a standard question on long standing illness
by Macintyre, Sally & Ford, Graeme & Hunt, Kate
- 99-115 Social position, social roles and women's health in England: changing relationships 1984-1993
by Bartley, M. & Sacker, A. & Firth, D. & Fitzpatrick, R.
- 117-127 Making use of official statistics in research on gender and health status: recent British data
by Dunnell, Karen & Fitzpatrick, Justine & Bunting, Julia
1998, Volume 47, Issue 12
- 1905-1924 Review of nursing turnover research, 1977-1996
by Tai, Teresa Wai Chi & Bame, Sherry I. & Robinson, Chester D.
- 1925-1936 Outcomes and effectiveness in reproductive health
by Graham, Wendy J.
- 1937-1946 Compulsory medical service in Ecuador: the physician's perspective
by Cavender, Anthony & Albán, Manuel
- 1947-1956 When acculturation hurts: the case of immunization
by Prislin, Radmila & Suarez, Lucina & Simspon, Diane M. & Dyer, James A.
- 1957-1971 Trends in health services utilization in eight provinces in China, 1989-1993
by Henderson, G. E. & Akin, J. S. & Hutchinson, P. M. & Jin, S. G. & Wang, J. M. & Dietrich, J. & Mao, L. M.
- 1973-1980 The development of a dementia process within the family context: the case of Alice
by Vernooij-Dassen, Myrra & Wester, Fred & Auf den Kamp, Marcel & Huygen, Frans
- 1981-1992 Sexual networks: the integration of social and genetic data
by Day, S. & Ward, H. & Ison, C. & Bell, G. & Weber, J.
- 1993-2011 In the company of friends: Peer influence on Thai male extramarital sex
by Vanlandingham, Mark & Knodel, John & Saengtienchai, Chanpen & Pramualratana, Anthony
- 2013-2023 The meaning of playing-related musculoskeletal disorders to classical musicians
by Zaza, Christine & Charles, Cathy & Muszynski, Alicja
- 2025-2042 Diagnosing moral disorder: the discovery and evolution of fetal alcohol syndrome
by Armstrong, Elizabeth M.
- 2043-2053 Social class, assets, organizational control and the prevalence of common groups of psychiatric disorders
by Muntaner, C. & Eaton, W. W. & Diala, C. & Kessler, R. C. & Sorlie, P. D.
- 2055-2066 Mortality variations in England and Wales between types of place: an analysis of the ONS longitudinal study
by Ecob, Russell & Jones, Kelvyn
- 2067-2074 Linking measures of health gain to explicit priority setting by an Area Health Service in Australia
by Cromwell, David A. & Viney, Rosalie & Halsall, John & Hindle, Don
- 2075-2085 Beliefs related to breast health practices: the perceptions of South Asian women living in Canada
by Bottorff, Joan L. & Johnson, Joy L. & Bhagat, Radhika & Grewal, Sukhdev & Balneaves, Lynda G. & Clarke, Heather & Hilton, B. Ann
- 2087-2099 Health and access to care: Perspectives of homeless youth in Baltimore City, U.S.A
by Ensign, Jo & Gittelsohn, Joel
- 2101-2111 Careseeking for illness in young infants in an urban slum in India
by de Zoysa, Isabelle & Bhandari, Nita & Akhtari, Naseema & Bhan, Maharaj K.
- 2113-2125 Stories of meaning: lay perspectives on the origin and management of noninsulin dependent diabetes mellitus among older women in the United States
by Schoenberg, Nancy E. & Amey, Cheryl H. & Coward, Raymond T.
- 2127-2137 Radio and the commodification of natural medicine in Ecuador
by Miles, Ann
1998, Volume 47, Issue 11
- 1639-1651 Screening and counselling for sickle cell disorders and thalassaemia: The experience of parents and health professionals
by Atkin, Karl & Ahmad, Waqar I. U. & Anionwu, Elizabeth N.
- 1653-1658 Revealed identity: a study of the process of genetic counselling
by Armstrong, David & Michie, Susan & Marteau, Theresa
- 1659-1663 Effect of social class on tumour size at diagnosis and surgical treatment in Danish women with breast cancer
by Norredam, Marie & Groenvold, Mogens & Petersen, Jorgen Holm & Krasnik, Allan
- 1665-1676 Educational differences in leisure-time physical inactivity: a descriptive and explanatory study
by Droomers, M. & Schrijvers, C. T. M. & van de Mheen, H. & Mackenbach, J. P.
- 1677-1686 Suicide in urban New South Wales, Australia 1985-1994: socio-economic and migrant interactions
by Taylor, Richard & Morrell, Stephen & Slaytor, Emma & Ford, Paul
- 1687-1694 Hearts and minds: suicide among United States combat troops in Vietnam, 1957-1973
by Adams, David P. & Barton, Cole & Mitchell, G. Lynn & Moore, Alan L. & Einagel, Victor
- 1695-1698 Increasing homicide rate in Finland accompanied by decreasing seasonality over the period 1957-95
by Hakko, Helinä & Räsänen, Pirkko & Tiihonen, Jari
- 1699-1713 Political repression and its psychological effects on Honduran children
by Munczek, Débora S. & Tuber, Steven
- 1715-1727 Using metaphor to read the organisation of the NHS
by Elkind, Andrea
- 1729-1738 Achieving clinical behaviour change: a case of becoming indeterminate
by Wood, Martin & Ferlie, Ewan & Fitzgerald, Louise
- 1739-1748 The evolution of professional identity: the case of osteopathic medicine
by Miller, Katherine
- 1749-1762 Promoting health, promoting women: the construction of female and professional identities in the discourse of community health workers
by Ramirez-Valles, Jesus
- 1763-1772 Psychosocial stressors and well-being in health care workers. The impact of an intervention program
by Petterson, Inga-Lill & Arnetz, Bengt B.
- 1773-1780 Gender differences in accessing cardiac surgery across England: a cross-sectional analysis of the Health Survey for England
by Dong, Wei & Ben-Shlomo, Yoav & Colhoun, Helen & Chaturvedi, Nish
- 1781-1795 Why do nurses abuse patients? Reflections from South African obstetric services
by Jewkes, Rachel & Abrahams, Naeemah & Mvo, Zodumo
- 1797-1808 Describing the "white" ethnic group and its composition in medical research
by Aspinall, Peter J.
- 1809-1824 Putting risk in its place: methodological considerations for investigating extreme event health risk
by Smoyer, Karen E.
- 1825-1840 Informed consent for clinical trials: in search of the "best" method
by Edwards, Sarah J. L. & Lilford, Richard J. & Thornton, Jim & Hewison, Jenny
- 1841-1854 Infant mortality: A multi-level analysis of individual and community risk factors
by Matteson, Donald W. & Burr, Jeffrey A. & Marshall, James R.
- 1855-1858 Age patterns of smoking initiation among Kuwait University male students
by Sugathan, T. N. & Moody, Philip M. & Bustan, Mahmood A. & Elgerges, Najwa S.
- 1859-1871 Medicinal plants in Mexico: healers' consensus and cultural importance
by Heinrich, Michael & Ankli, Anita & Frei, Barbara & Weimann, Claudia & Sticher, Otto
- 1873-1876 Physician assessments of patient compliance with medical treatment
by Goldberg, Albert I. & Cohen, Gilat & Rubin, Ami-Hai E.
- 1877-1880 Dental students' attitude to gender roles
by Rosenberg, Howard M. & Cucchiara, Andrew J. & Helpin, Mark L.
1998, Volume 47, Issue 10
- 1399-1405 Explanations of social class differences in alcoholism among young men
by Hemmingsson, Tomas & Lundberg, Ingvar & Diderichsen, Finn & Allebeck, Peter
- 1407-1418 Health related behavioural change in context: young people in transition
by Pavis, Stephen & Cunningham-Burley, Sarah & Amos, Amanda
- 1419-1430 Critical reflections on the politics of need: implications for public health
by Robertson, Ann
- 1431-1443 Sexual behaviour and risk assessment of HIV seroconvertors among urban male factory workers in Zimbabwe
by Ray, Sunanda & Latif, Ahmed & Machekano, Roderick & Katzenstein, David