A meta-analysis of education effects on chronic disease: The causal dynamics of the Population Education Transition Curve
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- de Walque, Damien, 2004. "Education, information, and smoking decisions : evidence from smoking histories, 1940-2000," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3362, The World Bank.
- repec:eee:joecas:v:8:y:2011:i:2:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- van der Meer, Joost B. W. & Mackenbach, Johan P., 1999. "The care and course of diabetes: differences according to level of education," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 127-141, January.
- Seeman, Teresa & Merkin, Sharon S. & Crimmins, Eileen & Koretz, Brandon & Charette, Susan & Karlamangla, Arun, 2008. "Education, income and ethnic differences in cumulative biological risk profiles in a national sample of US adults: NHANES III (1988-1994)," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 72-87, January.
- Ross J. Harris & Michael J. Bradburn & Jonathan J. Deeks & Roger M. Harbord & Douglas G. Altman & Jonathan A. C. Sterne, 2008. "metan: fixed- and random-effects meta-analysis," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(1), pages 3-28, February.
- Robert Fogel & Dora Costa, 1997. "A theory of technophysio evolution, with some implications for forecasting population, health care costs, and pension costs," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 34(1), pages 49-66, February.
- Cutler, David M. & Lleras-Muney, Adriana, 2010.
"Understanding differences in health behaviors by education,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Cutler, David M. & Lleras-Muney, Adriana, 2010. "Understanding Differences in Health Behaviors by Education," Scholarly Articles 5344195, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Catherine Ross & John Mirowsky, 1999. "Refining the association between education and health: The effects of quantity, credential, and selectivity," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 36(4), pages 445-460, November.
- David P. Baker & Juan Leon & Emily G. Smith Greenaway & John Collins & Marcela Movit, 2011. "The Education Effect on Population Health: A Reassessment," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 37(2), pages 307-332, June.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:1996:86:5:706-711_3 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kempen, Gertrudis I. J. M. & Brilman, Els I. & Ranchor, Adelita V. & Ormel, Johan, 1999. "Morbidity and quality of life and the moderating effects of level of education in the elderly," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 143-149, July.
- Nicole Schneeweis & Vegard Skirbekk & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, 2014. "Does Education Improve Cognitive Performance Four Decades After School Completion?," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 51(2), pages 619-643, April.
- Dustin Brown & Mark Hayward & Jennifer Montez & Robert Hummer & Chi-Tsun Chiu & Mira Hidajat, 2012. "The Significance of Education for Mortality Compression in the United States," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 49(3), pages 819-840, August.
- Jonathan A.C. Sterne & Roger M. Harbord, 2004. "Funnel plots in meta-analysis," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(2), pages 127-141, June.
- Handa, Sudhanshu, 1998. "Gender and life-cycle differences in the impact of schooling on chronic disease in Jamaica," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 325-336, June.
- repec:ags:stataj:116233 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:1991:81:1:15-22_0 is not listed on IDEAS
- Knesebeck, Olaf von dem & Lüschen, Günther & Cockerham, William C. & Siegrist, Johannes, 2003. "Socioeconomic status and health among the aged in the United States and Germany: A comparative cross-sectional study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 57(9), pages 1643-1652, November.
- de Walque, Damien, 2007. "Does education affect smoking behaviors?: Evidence using the Vietnam draft as an instrument for college education," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 877-895, September.
- repec:ags:stataj:120926 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pamela Herd & Brian Goesling & James S. House, "undated". "Socioeconomic Position and Health: The Differential Effects of Education versus Income on the Onset versus Progression of Health Problems," Mathematica Policy Research Reports 441d34cf576545a8b8bd05ca7, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1981. "Qualitative Response Models: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 1483-1536, December.
- Anirban Basu & Willard G. Manning & John Mullahy, 2004. "Comparing alternative models: log vs Cox proportional hazard?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(8), pages 749-765.
- Jane Fortson, 2008. "The gradient in sub-saharan Africa: Socioeconomic status and HIV/AIDS," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 45(2), pages 303-322, May.
- Guthrie, Lori C. & Butler, Stephen C. & Ward, Michael M., 2009. "Time perspective and socioeconomic status: A link to socioeconomic disparities in health?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(12), pages 2145-2151, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:jes:journl:y:2018:v:9:p:87-109 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spr:soinre:v:135:y:2018:i:2:d:10.1007_s11205-016-1509-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spr:demogr:v:54:y:2017:i:5:d:10.1007_s13524-017-0608-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Titus J. Galama & Adriana Lleras-Muney & Hans van Kippersluis, 2018. "The Effect of Education on Health and Mortality: A Review of Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Evidence," NBER Working Papers 24225, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
More about this item
KeywordsChronic disease; Education; Epidemiological Transition; Heterogeneous effects; Meta analysis; Population Education Transition Curve;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:127:y:2015:i:c:p:29-40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.