Social Science & Medicine
June 2001, Volume 52, Issue 12
- 1815-1826 Adolescent girls, illegal abortions and "sugar-daddies" in Dar es Salaam: vulnerable victims and active social agents
by Silberschmidt, Margrethe & Rasch, Vibeke
- 1827-1841 "The tongue is venomous": perception, verbalisation and manipulation of mortality and fertility regimes in rural Mali
by Castle, Sarah
- 1843-1857 Effect of orthographic and phonological similarity on false recognition of drug names
by Lambert, Bruce L. & Chang, Ken-Yu & Lin, Swu-Jane
- 1859-1864 Patients' perceptions of medical care in chronic fatigue syndrome
by Deale, Alicia & Wessely, Simon
- 1865-1878 Sharing decisions in cancer care
by Gattellari, Melina & Butow, Phyllis N. & Tattersall, Martin H. N.
- 1879-1887 Social inequalities in ischaemic heart and cerebrovascular disease mortality in men: Spain and France, 1980-1982 and 1988-1990
by Lostao, Lourdes & Regidor, Enrique & Aïach, Pierre & Domínguez, Vicente
- 1889-1901 Resisting and promoting new technologies in clinical practice: the case of telepsychiatry
by May, Carl & Gask, Linda & Atkinson, Theresa & Ellis, Nicola & Mair, Frances & Esmail, Aneez
- 1903-1915 The impact of privatization on access in Tanzania
by Benson, John S.
June 2001, Volume 52, Issue 11
- 1613-1627 'I think condoms are good but, aai, I hate those things': : condom use among adolescents and young people in a Southern African township
by MacPhail, Catherine & Campbell, Catherine
- 1629-1641 Trends in healthy life expectancy in the United States, 1970-1990: gender, racial, and educational differences
by Crimmins, Eileen M. & Saito, Yasuhiko
- 1643-1659 "Being dealt with as a whole person." Care seeking and adherence: the benefits of culturally competent care
by Schilder, Arn J. & Kennedy, Cornelis & Goldstone, Irene L. & Ogden, Russel D. & Hogg, Robert S. & O'Shaughnessy, Michael V.
- 1661-1676 Perceived control in relation to socioeconomic and behavioral resources for health
by Bailis, Daniel S. & Segall, Alexander & Mahon, Michael J. & Chipperfield, Judith G. & Dunn, Elaine M.
- 1677-1687 The ethics of social risk reduction in the era of the biological brain
by Schrecker, Ted & Acosta, Lisa & Somerville, Margaret A. & Bursztajn, Harold J.
- 1689-1707 The closure of rural hospitals in Saskatchewan: method or madness?
by Lepnurm, Rein & Lepnurm, Marje K.
- 1709-1718 Emerging paradigms in the mental health care of refugees
by Watters, Charles
- 1719-1727 On reflection: : doctors learning to care for people who are dying
by MacLeod, Roderick D.
- 1729-1740 Recurrent symptoms: well-being and management
by Musil, Carol M. & Morris, Diana L. & Haug, Marie R. & Warner, Camille B. & Whelan, Adriana T.
- 1741-1750 Transitions of employment status among suicide attempters during a severe economic recession
by Ostamo, Aini & Lahelma, Eero & Lönnqvist, Jouko
- 1751-1754 GIS approaches to the problem of disease clusters: a brief commentary
by Koch, Tom & Denike, Ken
May 2001, Volume 52, Issue 10
- 1477-1489 Patient' voices, social movements and the habitus; how psychiatric survivors 'speak out
by Crossley, Michele L. & Crossley, Nick
- 1491-1499 Exchanging spare parts or becoming a new person? People's attitudes toward receiving and donating organs
by Sanner, Margareta A.
- 1501-1516 Poor people, poor places, and poor health: the mediating role of social networks and social capital
by Cattell, Vicky
- 1517-1524 Efficacy of a minimal intervention to reduce fat intake
by Armitage, Christopher J. & Conner, Mark
- 1525-1535 HIV/AIDS institutional discrimination in Switzerland
by Dubois-Arber, Françoise & Haour-Knipe, Mary
- 1537-1550 Beyond health gain: : the range of health system benefits expressed by social groups in Mexico and Central America
by Angel González Block, Miguel Angle & Sandiford, Peter & Arturo Ruiz, José & Rovira, Joan
- 1551-1564 Disadvantaged persons' participation in health promotion projects: some structural dimensions
by Boyce, William F.
- 1565-1575 Gender differences in descriptions of angina symptoms and health problems immediately prior to angiography: the ACRE study
by Philpott, Sue & Boynton, Petra M. & Feder, Gene & Hemingway, Harry
- 1577-1587 Adolescent perceptions of smoking imagery in film
by McCool, Judith P. & Cameron, Linda D. & Petrie, Keith J.
- 1589-1605 Organochlorines and breast cancer: : the uses of scientific evidence in claimsmaking
by Driedger, S. Michelle & Eyles, John
May 2001, Volume 52, Issue 9
- 1313-1327 Older people and AIDS: quantitative evidence of the impact in Thailand
by Knodel, John & VanLandingham, Mark & Saengtienchai, Chanpen & Im-em, Wassana
- 1329-1341 Predictors of decline in self-assessments of health among older people -- a 5-year longitudinal study
by Leinonen, Raija & Heikkinen, Eino & Jylhä, Marja
- 1343-1358 When nurses double as interpreters: a study of Spanish-speaking patients in a US primary care setting
by Elderkin-Thompson, Virginia & Cohen Silver, Roxane & Waitzkin, Howard
- 1359-1370 Service quality perceptions and patient satisfaction: a study of hospitals in a developing country
by Andaleeb, Syed Saad
- 1371-1390 Income and health: the time dimension
by Benzeval, Michaela & Judge, Ken
- 1391-1402 The relationship between heart problems and mortality in different social classes
by Kåreholt, Ingemar
- 1403-1416 Malevolent Ogbanje: recurrent reincarnation or sickle cell disease?
by Nzewi, Esther
- 1417-1432 Writing wrongs? An analysis of published discourses about the use of patient information leaflets
by Dixon-Woods, Mary
- 1433-1440 A family history of breast cancer: women's experiences from a theoretical perspective
by Rees, G. & Fry, A. & Cull, A.
- 1441-1450 Return to work after myocardial infarction/coronary artery bypass grafting: patients' and physicians' initial viewpoints and outcome 12 months later
by Mittag, O. & Kolenda, K. -D. & Nordmann, K. -J. & Bernien, J. & Maurischat, C.
- 1451-1458 Immigrant women's health
by Meadows, Lynn M. & Thurston, Wilfreda E. & Melton, Christina
- 1459-1470 Estimating time preferences for health using discrete choice experiments
by van der Pol, Marjon & Cairns, John
April 2001, Volume 52, Issue 8
- 1151-1166 Comparative institutional response to economic policy managed competition and governmentality
by Light, Donald W.
- 1167-1181 Managed competition, governmentality and institutional response in the United Kingdom
by Light, Donald W.
- 1183-1194 The marginal success of regulated competition policy in the Netherlands
by Lieverdink, Harm
- 1195-1204 Cost containment, solidarity and cautious experimentation: Swedish dilemmas
by Andersen, Ronald & Smedby, Björn & Vågerö, Denny
- 1205-1217 Adopting and adapting managed competition: health care reform in Southern Europe
by Cabiedes, Laura & Guillén, Ana
- 1219-1231 Implementing managed competition in Israel
by Gross, Revital & Harrison, Michael
- 1233-1242 Transforming health sectors: new logics of organizing in the New Zealand health system
by Fougere, Geoff
- 1243-1253 Managed care in Latin America: the new common sense in health policy reform
by Iriart, Celia & Elías Merhy, Emerson & Waitzkin, Howard
- 1255-1268 Biofantasies: genetics and medicine in the print news media
by Petersen, Alan
- 1269-1284 Does childhood health affect chronic morbidity in later life?
by Blackwell, Debra L. & Hayward, Mark D. & Crimmins, Eileen M.
- 1285-1296 Ethnic and class differences in health in relation to British South Asians: using the new National Statistics Socio-Economic Classification
by Chandola, Tarani
- 1297-1311 Socioeconomic status and health among older adults in Thailand: an examination using multiple indicators
by Zimmer, Zachary & Amornsirisomboon, Pattama
April 2001, Volume 52, Issue 7
- 985-998 What do patients expect of psychiatric services? A systematic and critical review of empirical studies
by Noble, Lorraine M. & Douglas, Brian C. & Newman, Stanton P.
- 999-1005 Morbidity and Irish Catholic descent in Britain : Relating health disadvantage to socio-economic position
by Abbotts, Joanne & Williams, Rory & Ford, Graeme
- 1007-1012 Establishing the causes of childhood mortality in Ghana: the 'spirit child'
by Allotey, Pascale & Reidpath, Daniel
- 1013-1028 The medicalization of female "circumcision": harm reduction or promotion of a dangerous practice?
by Shell-Duncan, Bettina
- 1029-1042 Stressors, resources, and distress among homeless persons: : a longitudinal analysis
by Wong, Yin-Ling Irene & Piliavin, Irving
- 1043-1055 Disease and dislocation: the impact of refugee movements on the geography of malaria in NWFP, Pakistan
by Kazmi, Jamil H. & Pandit, Kavita
- 1057-1069 Determinants of condom use intentions of university students in Ghana: an application of the theory of reasoned action
by Bosompra, Kwadwo
- 1071-1080 The impact of AIDS, immigration and housing overcrowding on tuberculosis deaths in São Paulo, Brazil, 1994-1998
by Antunes, José Leopoldo Ferreira & Waldman, Eliseu Alves
- 1081-1091 Injury in children of low-income Mexican, Mexican American, and non-Hispanic white mothers in the USA : a focused ethnography
by Mull, Dorothy S. & Agran, Phyllis F. & Winn, Diane G. & Anderson, Craig L.
- 1093-1108 Looking means listening: coordinating displays of engagement in doctor-patient interaction
by Ruusuvuori, Johanna
- 1109-1121 Negotiating control and meaning: home birth as a self-constructed choice in Finland
by Viisainen, Kirsi
- 1123-1134 Clinical, provider and sociodemographic determinants of the number of antenatal visits in England and Wales
by Petrou, Stavros & Kupek, Emil & Vause, Sarah & Maresh, Michael
- 1135-1141 Social patterns of birth weight in Hong Kong, 1984-1997
by Cheung, Y. B. & Yip, Paul S. F.
March 2001, Volume 52, Issue 6
- 825-837 Physician satisfaction revisited
by Dunstone, David C. & Reames, Harold R.
- 853-861 Community values and preferences in transplantation organ allocation decisions
by Browning, Colette J. & Thomas, Shane A.
- 863-870 Cost effectiveness of brief interventions for reducing alcohol consumption
by Wutzke, Sonia E. & Shiell, Alan & Gomel, Michelle K. & Conigrave, Katherine M.
- 871-883 Who rules? The new politics of medical regulation
by Salter, Brian
- 885-909 Private practitioners and their role in the resurgence of malaria in Mumbai (Bombay) and Navi Mumbai (New Bombay), India: serving the affected or aiding an epidemic?
by Kamat, Vinay R.
- 911-919 Adult outpatients with depression: worse quality of life than in other chronic medical diseases in Argentina
by Bonicatto, S. C. & Dew, M. A. & Zaratiegui, R. & Lorenzo, L. & Pecina, P.
- 921-934 Problems with the Sickness Impact Profile: a theoretically based analysis and a proposal for a new method of implementation and scoring
by Pollard, Beth & Johnston, Marie
- 935-948 Can I afford free treatment?: Perceived consequences of health care provider choices among people with tuberculosis in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
by Lönnroth, Knut & Tran, Thuc-Uyen & Thuong, Le Minh & Quy, Hoang Thi & Diwan, Vinod
- 949-958 The will to live: gender differences among elderly persons
by Carmel, Sara
- 959-965 Domestic labour, paid employment and women's health: analysis of life course data
by Blane, D. & Berney, L. & Montgomery, S. M.
- 967-978 Networks, resources and risk among women who use drugs
by Miller, Maureen & Neaigus, Alan
- 979-979 Letter to the Editor
by Nyström, Lennarth
March 2001, Volume 52, Issue 5
- 657-670 Monitoring health reform: a report card approach
by Brownell, Marni D. & Roos, Noralou P. & Roos, Leslie L.
- 671-679 Competitive health policies and community health
by Stanton, Pauline
- 681-694 Networks and tuberculosis: an undetected community outbreak involving public places
by Klovdahl, A. S. & Graviss, E. A. & Yaganehdoost, A. & Ross, M. W. & Wanger, A. & Adams, G. J. & Musser, J. M.
- 695-706 Primary care as intersecting social worlds
by Tovey, Philip & Adams, Jon
- 707-721 The social construction of male 'homosexuality' in India: implications for HIV transmission and prevention
by Asthana, Sheena & Oostvogels, Robert
- 723-731 Implementing AIDS policy in post-apartheid South Africa
by Schneider, Helen & Stein, Joanne
- 733-744 Relationship dynamics and teenage pregnancy in South Africa
by Jewkes, Rachel & Vundule, Caesar & Maforah, Fidelia & Jordaan, Esmé
- 745-761 China's one-child policy: the economic choices and consequences faced by pregnant women
by Doherty, Jim P. & Norton, Edward C. & Veney, James E.
- 763-781 Dimensions of social inequality in the health of women in England: occupational, material and behavioural pathways
by Sacker, Amanda & Bartley, Mel & Firth, David & Fitzpatrick, Ray
- 783-796 "It's some kind of women's empowerment": the ambiguity of the female condom as a marker of female empowerment
by Kaler, Amy
- 797-808 African Americans' views on research and the Tuskegee Syphilis study
by Freimuth, Vicki S. & Quinn, Sandra Crouse & Thomas, Stephen B. & Cole, Galen & Zook, Eric & Duncan, Ted
February 2001, Volume 52, Issue 4
- 499-507 Mental health and stress in the workplace: the case of general practice in the UK
by Calnan, Michael & Wainwright, David & Forsythe, Malcolm & Wall, Barbara & Almond, Stephen
- 509-518 AIDS and cultural practices in Africa: the case of the Tonga (Zambia)
by Gausset, Quentin
- 519-536 Understanding the dynamics of illness and help-seeking: event-structure analysis and a Cambodian-American narrative of "Spirit Invasion"
by Uehara, Edwina S.
- 537-545 Gender trends in occupancy rates in mental health beds in Northern Ireland
by Prior, Pauline M. & Hayes, Bernadette C.
- 547-559 Gender and health: reassessing patterns and explanations
by McDonough, Peggy & Walters, Vivienne
- 561-569 Knowledge, action and resistance: the selective use of pre-natal screening among Bedouin women of the Negev, Israel
by Lewando-Hundt, G. & Shoham-Vardi, I. & Beckerleg, S. & Belmaker, I. & Kassem, F. & Jaafar, A. Abu
- 571-583 Substance use during pregnancy in the state of California, USA
by Finch, Brian Karl & Vega, William A. & Kolody, Bohdan
- 585-598 Female control of sexuality: illusion or reality? Use of vaginal products in south west Uganda
by Green, Gill & Pool, Robert & Harrison, Susan & Hart, Graham J. & Wilkinson, Joanie & Nyanzi, Stella & Whitworth, James . A. G.
- 599-608 High-risk behaviors and the prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases among women prisoners at the women state penitentiary in Metro Manila
by Simbulan, Nymia P. & Aguilar, Angela S. & Flanigan, Timothy & Cu-Uvin, Susan
- 609-620 Predictors of patient satisfaction
by Jackson, Jeffrey L. & Chamberlin, Judith & Kroenke, Kurt
- 621-633 Why do women use dietary supplements? The use of the theory of planned behaviour to explore beliefs about their use
by Conner, Mark & Kirk, Sara F. L. & Cade, Janet E. & Barrett, Jennifer H.
- 635-650 Managing and treating risk and uncertainty for health: a case study of diabetes among First Nation's people in Ontario, Canada
by Sunday, Julie & Eyles, John
February 2001, Volume 52, Issue 3
- 331-343 Medical women -- towards full integration? An analysis of the specialty choices made by two cohorts of Norwegian doctors
by Gjerberg, Elisabeth
- 345-356 Is there a menopausal syndrome? Menopausal status and symptoms across racial/ethnic groups
by Avis, Nancy E. & Stellato, Rebecca & Crawford, Sybil & Bromberger, Joyce & Ganz, Patricia & Cain, Virginia & Kagawa-Singer, Marjorie
- 357-368 The impact of marital status on cancer survival
by Kravdal, Øystein
- 369-384 Subjective well-being and severe motor impairments: the Tetrafigap survey on the long-term outcome of tetraplegic spinal cord injured persons
by Ville, I. & Ravaud, J. -F. & Group, Tetrafigap
- 385-391 Compression or expansion of morbidity? Trends in healthy-life expectancy in the elderly Austrian population between 1978 and 1998
by Doblhammer, Gabriele & Kytir, Josef
- 393-404 Real world pharmacy: assessing the quality of private pharmacy practice in the Lao People's Democratic Republic
by Stenson, Bo & Syhakhang, Lamphone & Eriksson, Bo & Tomson, Göran
- 405-415 Psychophysiological effects of temporary alternative employment
by Westerlund, Hugo & Theorell, Töres & Bergström, Anna
- 417-427 Violence towards health care staff and possible effects on the quality of patient care
by Arnetz, Judith E. & Arnetz, Bengt B.
- 429-439 Health and cultural factors associated with enrolment in basic education: a study in rural Ghana
by Fentiman, Alicia & Hall, Andrew & Bundy, Don
- 441-451 Socioeconomic differences in leisure-time physical activity: the role of social participation and social capital in shaping health related behaviour
by Lindström, Martin & Hanson, Bertil S. & Östergren, Per-Olof
- 453-465 Future states: the axioms underlying prospective, future-oriented, health planning instruments
by Koch, Tom
- 467-480 Tactics at the interface: Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health managers
by Hill, Peter S. & Wakerman, John & Matthews, Sally & Gibson, Odette
- 481-491 The political context of social inequalities and health
by Navarro, Vicente & Shi, Leiyu
January 2001, Volume 52, Issue 2
- 171-173 The physician role in transition: is Hippocrates sick?
by Aasland, Olaf Gjerløw
- 175-177 The medical profession and health care reform -- friend or foe?
by Hernes, Gudmund
- 179-187 Towards gender balance: but will women physicians have an impact on medicine?
by Riska, Elianne
- 189-202 The doctor-nurse relationship: how easy is it to be a female doctor co-operating with a female nurse?
by Gjerberg, Elisabeth & Kjølsrød, Lise
- 203-213 Psychosocial challenges facing physicians of today
by Arnetz, Bengt B.
- 215-222 Interventions to improve physicians' well-being and patient care
by Firth-Cozens, Jenny
- 223-225 Interventions to improve physicians' well-being and patient care: a commentary
by Gerrity, Martha S.
- 227-237 Doctors drifting: autonomy and career uncertainty in young physicians' stories
by Löyttyniemi, Varpu
- 239-248 Paternalism, patient autonomy, and moral deliberation in the physician-patient relationship: Attitudes among Norwegian physicians
by Falkum, Erik & Førde, Reidun
- 249-258 Breast self-examination and cervical cancer testing among Norwegian female physicians: A nation-wide comparative study
by Rosvold, Elin Olaug & Hjartåker, Anette & Bjertness, Espen & Lund, Eiliv
- 259-265 Suicide rates from 1960 to 1989 in Norwegian physicians compared with other educational groups
by Aasland, Olaf Gjerløw & Ekeberg, Øvind & Schweder, Tore
- 267-277 Implications of health care provision on acute lower respiratory infection mortality in Bangladeshi children
by Ali, Mohammad & Emch, Michael & Tofail, Fahmida & Baqui, Abdullah H.
- 279-292 Capacity building to improve women's health in rural China
by Li, Virginia C. & Shaoxian, Wang & Kunyi, Wu & Wentao, Zhang & Buchthal, Opal & Wong, Glenn C. & Burris, Mary Ann
- 293-303 Impact of urinary schistosomiasis on rural land use: empirical evidence from Nigeria
by Umeh, J. Chinedu & Amali, O. & Umeh, E. U.
- 305-313 Medicaid eligibility and the incidence of ambulatory care sensitive hospitalizations for children
by Kaestner, R. & Joyce, T. & Racine, A.
- 315-322 Quality of life among women living with HIV: the importance violence, social support, and self care behaviors
by Gielen, A. C. & McDonnell, K. A. & Wu, A. W. & O'Campo, P. & Faden, R.
January 2001, Volume 52, Issue 1
- 1-10 The importance of the social environment for physically active lifestyle -- results from an international study
by Ståhl, T. & Rütten, A. & Nutbeam, D. & Bauman, A. & Kannas, L. & Abel, T. & Lüschen, G. & Rodriquez, Diaz J. A. & Vinck, J. & van der Zee, J.
- 11-23 Doing things with illness. The micro politics of the CFS clinic
by Banks, Jonathan & Prior, Lindsay
- 25-44 Revealing moments: formulating understandings of adverse experiences in a health appraisal interview
by Beach, W. A. & Dixson, C. N.
- 45-52 Health implications of early childbearing on pregnancy outcome in Botswana: insights from the institutional records
by Letamo, Gobopamang & Majelantle, Rolang G.
- 53-69 Diffusion of ideas about personal hygiene and contamination in poor countries: evidence from Guatemala
by Goldman, Noreen & Pebley, Anne R. & Beckett, Megan
- 71-81 Determinants of breastfeeding in the Philippines: a survival analysis
by Abada, Teresa S. J. & Trovato, Frank & Lalu, Nirannanilathu
- 83-97 Death rests a while: holy day and Sabbath effects on Jewish mortality in Israel
by Anson, Jon & Anson, Ofra
- 99-134 Improving the use of pharmaceuticals through patient and community level interventions
by Homedes, Nuria & Ugalde, Antonio
- 135-148 Cost-effectiveness of the female condom in preventing HIV and STDs in commercial sex workers in rural South Africa
by Marseille, Elliot & Kahn, James G. & Billinghurst, Kelvin & Saba, Joseph
- 149-153 Attitudes to traditional Chinese medicine amongst Western trained doctors in the People's Republic of China
by Harmsworth, K. & Lewith, G. T.
- 155-156 Use of the Internet by medical voluntary groups in the UK
by Fox, Nick
- 157-159 'The dog that didn't bark': taking class seriously in the health inequalities debate
by Scambler, Graham & Higgs, Paul
December 2000, Volume 51, Issue 12
- 1711-1722 Planning and change: a Cambodian public health case study
by Hill, Peter S.
- 1723-1739 Prenatal care among Puerto Ricans on the United States mainland
by Oropesa, R. S. & Landale, N. S. & Inkley, M. & Gorman, B. K.
- 1741-1754 Health behaviours and health: evidence that the relationship is not conditional on income adequacy
by Williamson, Deanna L.
- 1755-1769 "Impact? What impact?" Epidemiological research findings in the public domain: a case study from north-east England
by Moffatt, S. & Phillimore, P. & Hudson, E. & Downey, D.
- 1771-1782 Evaluating effectiveness of syringe exchange programmes: current issues and future prospects
by Bastos, F. I. & Strathdee, S. A.
- 1783-1793 The dragnet of children's feeding programs in Atlantic Canada
by Dayle, Jutta B. & McIntyre, Lynn & Raine-Travers, Kim D.
- 1795-1804 Reconstructing self-narratives in coping with traumatic brain injury
by Nochi, Masahiro
- 1805-1816 From "reducing" to "coping with" uncertainty: reconceptualizing the central challenge in breast self-exams
by Babrow, Austin S. & Kline, Kimberly N.
- 1817-1825 Information and its impact on satisfaction among surgical patients
by Krupat, Edward & Fancey, Marcella & Cleary, Paul D.
- 1827-1839 Strategies for reducing the prescribing of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs): patient self-regulation of treatment may be an under-exploited resource
by Pollock, K. & Grime, J.
- 1841-1849 Oral health behaviour and self-esteem in Swedish children
by Källestål, C. & Dahlgren, L. & Stenlund, H.
December 2000, Volume 51, Issue 11
- 1573-1593 Social determinants of health in Canada's immigrant population: results from the National Population Health Survey
by Dunn, James R. & Dyck, Isabel
- 1595-1610 Candies in hell: women's experiences of violence in Nicaragua
by Ellsberg, Mary & Peña, Rodolfo & Herrera, Andrés & Liljestrand, Jerker & Winkvist, Anna
- 1611-1625 Defining quality of care
by Campbell, S. M. & Roland, M. O. & Buetow, S. A.
- 1627-1638 Socioeconomic disparities in health in the US: an agenda for action
by Moss, Nancy
- 1639-1653 Social inequalities, stressors and self reported health status among African American and white women in the Detroit metropolitan area
by Schulz, A. & Israel, B. & Williams, D. & Parker, E. & Becker, A. & James, S.
- 1655-1664 A challenge to the cross-cultural validity of the SF-36 health survey: factor structure in Maori, Pacific and New Zealand European ethnic groups
by Scott, Kate M. & Sarfati, Diana & Tobias, Martin I. & Haslett, Stephen J.
- 1665-1674 The rise and fall of Type A man
by Riska, Elianne
- 1675-1693 Circumstances of post-neonatal deaths in Ceara, Northeast Brazil: mothers' health care-seeking behaviors during their infants' fatal illness
by Terra de Souza, A. C. & Peterson, K. E. & Andrade, F. M. O. & Gardner, J. & Ascherio, A.
- 1695-1703 Attitudes as barriers in breast screening: a prospective study among Singapore women
by Straughan, P. T. & Seow, A.
November 2000, Volume 51, Issue 10
- 1437-1446 Rhetoric and reality in stroke patient care
by Pound, Pandora & Ebrahim, Shah
- 1447-1456 Infant death rates and animal-shed delivery in remote rural areas of Nepal
by Thapa, Narbada & Chongsuvivatwong, Virasakdi & Geater, Alan F. & Ulstein, Magnar & Bechtel, Gregory A.
- 1457-1472 Trying to keep a balance: the meaning of health and diabetes in an urban Aboriginal community
by Thompson, Samantha J. & Gifford, Sandra M.
- 1473-1489 Environmental factors, situation of women and child mortality in southwestern Nigeria
by Folasade, Iyun B.
- 1491-1503 Patterns of care for childhood malaria in Zambia
by Baume, Carol & Helitzer, Deborah & Kachur, S. Patrick
- 1505-1515 The role of 'African Chemists' in the health care system of the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
by Cocks, Michelle & Dold, Anthony
- 1517-1528 Women's power and anthropometric status in Zimbabwe
by Hindin, Michelle J.
- 1529-1541 The control of schistosomiasis in Brazil: an ethno-epidemiological study of the effectiveness of a community mobilization program for health education
by Uchoa, Elizabeth & Barreto, Sandhi M. & Firmo, Joselia O. A. & Guerra, Henrique L. & Pimenta, Fabiano G. & Lima e Costa, Maria Fernanda F.
- 1543-1554 Perceiving benefits in adversity: stress-related growth in women living with HIV/AIDS
by Siegel, Karolynn & Schrimshaw, Eric W.
- 1555-1561 General practitioners' attitudes toward complementary therapies
by Easthope, G. & Tranter, B. & Gill, G.
- 1563-1567 C.A.R.E.: an approach for teaching ethics in medicine
by Schneider, Gregory W. & Snell, Laura
November 2000, Volume 51, Issue 9
- 1283-1293 Place, social exchange and health: proposed sociological framework
by Siegrist, Johannes
- 1295-1312 A multilevel city health profile of Moscow
by McKeehan, I. V.
- 1313-1324 Health lifestyles in Russia
by Cockerham, William C.
- 1325-1341 Health-related lifestyles and alienation in Moscow and Helsinki
by Palosuo, Hannele
- 1343-1350 Socioeconomic factors, material inequalities, and perceived control in self-rated health: cross-sectional data from seven post-communist countries
by Bobak, Martin & Pikhart, Hynek & Rose, Richard & Hertzman, Clyde & Marmot, Michael
- 1351-1361 Psychosocial risk factors, inequality and self-rated morbidity in a changing society
by Kopp, Maria S. & Skrabski, Árpád & Szedmák, Sándor
- 1363-1374 Educational differences in self-rated health during the Russian transition. Evidence from Taganrog 1993-1994
by Carlson, Per
- 1375-1385 Self-rated health and occupational conditions in Russia
by Nazarova, Inna
- 1387-1403 The HIV/AIDS epidemic in Ukraine: its potential social and economic impact
by Barnett, Tony & Whiteside, Alan & Khodakevich, Lev & Kruglov, Yuri & Steshenko, Valentyna
- 1405-1420 Eastern European transition and suicide mortality
by Mäkinen, Ilkka Henrik
- 1421-1435 How much does social capital add to individual health?A survey study of Russians
by Rose, Richard
October 2000, Volume 51, Issue 8
- 1139-1142 Medical sociology at the start of the new millennium
by Blaxter, Mildred
- 1143-1161 Residential segregation and the epidemiology of infectious diseases
by Acevedo-Garcia, Dolores
- 1163-1173 Disability, space and sexuality: access to family planning services
by Anderson, Paul & Kitchin, Rob
- 1175-1188 Mortality differentials among women: the Israel Longitudinal Mortality Study
by Manor, Orly & Eisenbach, Zvi & Israeli, Avi & Friedlander, Yechiel
- 1189-1196 Stage of change is associated with assessment of the health risks of maternal smoking among pregnant women
by Haslam, Cheryl & Draper, Elizabeth
- 1197-1210 Driving donation: a geographic analysis of potential organ donors in the state of Ohio, USA
by Grubesic, T. H.
- 1211-1220 To boil or not: drinking water for children in a periurban barrio
by McLennan, J. D.
- 1221-1229 Contract medicine arrangements in Hong Kong: an example of risk-bearing provider networks in an unregulated environment
by Brudevold, Christine & McGhee, Sarah M. & Ho, Lai-Ming
- 1231-1240 "To every thing there is a season" -- social time and clock time in addiction treatment
by Klingemann, Harald
- 1241-1252 Negotiating natural death in intensive care
by Seymour, Jane Elizabeth
- 1253-1265 Neutralizing differences: producing neutral doctors for (almost) neutral patients
by Beagan, Brenda L.
- 1267-1278 The co-occurrence of correct and incorrect HIV transmission knowledge and perceived risk for HIV among women of childbearing age in El Salvador
by London, Andrew S. & Robles, Arodys
October 2000, Volume 51, Issue 7
- 991-991 Commentaries on Coburn 'The role of: neo-liberalism'
by Blaxter, Mildred
- 993-995 Coburn's thesis: plausible, but we need more evidence and better measures
by Tarlov, Alvin R.
- 997-1000 Deeper than "neoliberalism". A reply to David Coburn
by Wilkinson, Richard G.
- 1001-1005 Income inequality and health: expanding the debate
by Lynch, John