Whose social capital matters? The case of U.S. urban public hospital closures and conversions to private ownership
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Nauenberg, Eric & Laporte, Audrey & Shen, Leilei, 2011. "Social capital, community size and utilization of health services: A lagged analysis," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 38-46.
- Milligan, Kevin & Moretti, Enrico & Oreopoulos, Philip, 2004. "Does education improve citizenship? Evidence from the United States and the United Kingdom," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(9-10), pages 1667-1695, August.
- Engström, Karin & Mattsson, Fredrik & Järleborg, Anders & Hallqvist, Johan, 2008. "Contextual social capital as a risk factor for poor self-rated health: A multilevel analysis," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(11), pages 2268-2280, June.
- Laporte, Audrey & Nauenberg, Eric & Shen, Leilei, 2008. "Aging, social capital, and health care utilization in Canada," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(04), pages 393-411, October.
- Mansyur, Carol & Amick, Benjamin C. & Harrist, Ronald B. & Franzini, Luisa, 2008. "Social capital, income inequality, and self-rated health in 45 countries," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 43-56, January.
- Islam, M. Kamrul & Merlo, Juan & Kawachi, Ichiro & Lindstr m, Martin & Burstr m, Kristina & Gerdtham, Ulf-G., 2006. "Does it really matter where you live? A panel data multilevel analysis of Swedish municipality-level social capital on individual health-related quality of life," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 209-235, July.
- Lydia Savage, 2004. "Public sector unions shaping hospital privatization: the creation of Boston Medical Center," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 36(3), pages 547-568, March.
- Prentice, Julia C., 2006. "Neighborhood effects on primary care access in Los Angeles," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(5), pages 1291-1303, March.
- Ahern, Melissa M. & Hendryx, Michael S., 2003. "Social capital and trust in providers," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 57(7), pages 1195-1203, October.
- Federico Ciliberto & Richard C. Lindrooth, 2007. "Exit From The Hospital Industry," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 45(1), pages 71-81, January.
- Veenstra, Gerry, 2002. "Social capital and health (plus wealth, income inequality and regional health governance)," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 849-868, March.
- Teresa D. Harrison, 2007. "Consolidations and closures: an empirical analysis of exits from the hospital industry," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 457-474.
- Kim, Daniel & Baum, Christopher F. & Ganz, Michael L. & Subramanian, S.V. & Kawachi, Ichiro, 2011.
"The contextual effects of social capital on health: A cross-national instrumental variable analysis,"
Social Science & Medicine,
Elsevier, vol. 73(12), pages 1689-1697.
- Daniel Kim & Christopher F Baum & Michael Ganz & S.V. Subramanian & Ichiro Kawachi, 2011. "The contextual effects of social capital on health: a cross-national instrumental variable analysis," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 786, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mary E. Deily & Niccie L. McKay & Fred H. Dorner, 2000. "Exit and Inefficiency: The Effects of Ownership Type," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(4), pages 734-747.
- Muennig, Peter & Cohen, Alison K. & Palmer, Aileen & Zhu, Wenyi, 2013. "The relationship between five different measures of structural social capital, medical examination outcomes, and mortality," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 85(C), pages 18-26.
More about this item
KeywordsUnited States; Social capital; Public hospitals; Closures; Privatizations; Safety net;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:114:y:2014:i:c:p:188-196. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.