Social Science & Medicine
September 1997, Volume 45, Issue 6
- 859-866 The influence of socioeconomic status on health service utilisation by patients with AIDS in North Italy
by Tramarin, A. & Campostrini, S. & Tolley, K. & De Lalla, F.
- 867-877 Mutual influences of health and poverty evidence from German panel data
by Thiede, Michael & Traub, Stefan
- 879-885 Validating a satisfaction questionnaire using multiple approaches: A case study
by Etter, Jean-François & Perneger, Thomas V.
- 887-892 The ethics of euthanasia--Attitudes and practice among Norwegian physicians
by Førde, Reidun & Aasland, Olaf Gjerløw & Falkum, Erik
- 893-902 People, places and coronary heart disease risk factors: A multilevel analysis of the Scottish heart health study archive
by Hart, Carole & Ecob, Russell & Smith, George Davey
- 903-914 The socio-spatial stigmatization of homelessness and HIV/AIDS: Toward an explanation of the NIMBY syndrome
by Takahashi, Lois M.
- 915-923 The physical costs of AIDS caregiving
by Leblanc, Allen J. & London, Andrew S. & Aneshensel, Carol S.
- 925-936 Choosing a birth attendant: The influence of a woman's childbirth definition
by Howell-White, Sandra
- 937-942 Unplanned pregnancies in Harare: What are the social and sexual determinants?
by Mbizvo, M. T. & Bonduelle, M. M. J. & Chadzuka, S. & Lindmark, G. & Nystrom, L.
- 943-956 Age- and sex-differentials in morbidity at the start of an epidemiological transition: Returns from the 1880 U.S. Census
by Elman, Cheryl & Myers, George
- 957-966 AIDS-related knowledge, attitudes and behaviour among South African street youth: Reflections on power, sexuality and the autonomous self
by Swart-Kruger, Jill & Richter, Linda M.
- 967-970 How marginal is a "marginalised group"?
by Crewe, Mary
September 1997, Volume 45, Issue 5
- 649-657 Space, sterility and surgery: Circuits of hygiene in the operating theatre
by Fox, Nick J.
- 659-667 Household cost of seeking malaria care. A retrospective study of two districts in Ghana
by Asenso-Okyere, W. K. & Dzator, Janet A.
- 669-676 A qualitative study of sexual harassment of female doctors by patients
by Schneider, Margaret & Phillips, Susan P.
- 677-687 Social network associations with contraceptive use among Cameroonian women in voluntary associations
by Valente, Thomas W. & Watkins, Susan C. & Jato, Miriam N. & Van Der Straten, Ariane & Tsitsol, Louis-Philippe M.
- 689-698 The conceptual basis of ethnic group terminology and classifications
by Aspinall, Peter J.
- 699-709 Patients' and professionals' understandings of the causes of chronic pain: Blame, responsibility and identity protection
by Eccleston, Chris & De C. Williams, Amanda C. & Rogers, Wendy Stainton
- 711-722 Gender differences in medical treatment: The case of physician-prescribed activity restrictions
by Safran, Dana Gelb & Rogers, William H. & Tarlov, Alvin R. & McHorney, Colleen A. & Ware, John E.
- 723-729 Salary inequality and primary care integration in South Africa
by Bachmann, Max O. & Makan, Bupendra
- 731-738 Quality of sleep during economic recession in Finland: A longitudinal cohort study
by Hyyppä, Markku T. & Kronholm, Erkki & Alanen, Erkki
- 739-750 Explaining disablement in modern times: Hand-injured workers' accounts of their injuries in Hong Kong
by Cheng, Y. H.
- 751-760 Climacteric hormone therapy in medical and lay texts in Finland from 1955 to 1992
by Topo, Päivi
- 761-771 Comparing measures of health inequality
by Manor, Orly & Matthews, Sharon & Power, Chris
- 773-782 Social support as conversation: Analysing breast cancer patients' interactions with their partners
by Pistrang, Nancy & Barker, Chris & Rutter, Christine
- 783-795 Psychosocial study of epilepsy in Africa
by Jilek-Aall, Louise & Jilek, Martica & Kaaya, John & Mkombachepa, Lilian & Hillary, Kalister
- 797-797 Letter to the editor
by Pittroff, Rudi
- 799-799 Response to letter to the editor by Dr Rudi Pittroff
by Norbeck, Jane S. & Dejoseph, Jeanne F.
August 1997, Volume 45, Issue 4
- 505-510 Introduction and overview
by Sloan, Frank A. & Grabowski, Henry G.
- 511-521 Managed care pharmacy, socioeconomic assessments and drug adoption decisions
by Lyles, Alan & Luce, Bryan R. & Rentz, Anne M.
- 523-533 Hospital pharmacy decisions, cost containment, and the use of cost-effectiveness analysis
by Sloan, Frank A. & Whetten-Goldstein, Kathryn & Wilson, Alicia
- 535-544 Pharmacy benefit management, cost-effectiveness analysis and drug formulary decisions
by Grabowski, Henry & Mullins, C. Daniel
- 545-554 The Oregon experiment: The role of cost-benefit analysis in the allocation of Medicaid funds
by Blumstein, James F.
- 555-562 Making economic evaluations respectable
by Reinhardt, Uwe E.
- 563-581 Australian economic evaluation and government decisions on pharmaceuticals, compared to assessment of other health technologies
by Hailey, David
- 583-595 Economic evaluation under managed competition: Evidence from the U.K
by Drummond, Michael & Cooke, Jonathan & Walley, Tom
- 597-604 Economic evaluation of medical technologies in Sweden
by Jönsson, Bengt
- 605-620 Economic evaluation in support of national health policy: The case of the Netherlands
by Elsinga, Einte & Rutten, Frans F. H.
- 621-633 Economic evaluation of medical technologies: From theory to practice--The German perspective
by Von Der Schulenburg, J. -Matthias Graf
- 635-643 Pharmaceutical economy and the economic assessment of drugs in France
by Pen, Claude Le
- 645-647 Conclusions and implications
by Sloan, Frank A. & Grabowski, Henry G.
August 1997, Volume 45, Issue 3
- 341-349 Staying single in the 1990s: Single-handed practitioners in the new National Health Service
by Lunt, Neil & Atkin, Karl & Hirst, Michael
- 351-360 Health sector reform: Lessons from China
by Bloom, Gerald & Xingyuan, Gu
- 361-372 From lineage to conjugality: The social context of fertility decisions among the Pare of Northern Tanzania
by Hollos, Marida & Larsen, Ulla
- 373-381 Consumerism, reflexivity and the medical encounter
by Lupton, Deborah
- 383-397 Age-specific education and income gradients in morbidity and mortality in a Canadian province
by Mustard, Cameron A. & Derksen, Shelley & Berthelot, Jean-marie & Wolfson, Michael & Roos, Leslie L.
- 399-410 Socioeconomic inequality and psychopathology: Are socioeconomic status and social class interchangeable?
by Wohlfarth, Tamar
- 411-418 Prediction of psychological adjustment to multiple sclerosis
by Barnwell, Alison M. & Kavanagh, David J.
- 419-427 Anxiety and patient participation in clinical decision-making: The case of patients with ureteral calculi
by Margalith, Ilana & Shapiro, Amos
- 429-439 Back pain claim rates and the business cycle
by Brooker, Ann-Sylvia & Frank, John W. & Tarasuk, Valerie S.
- 441-447 The modern mental health system in Nepal: Organizational persistence in the absence of legitimating myths
by Tausig, Mark & Subedi, Sree
- 449-463 An unruly mélange? Coordinating external resources to the health sector: A review
by Buse, Kent & Walt, Gill
- 465-476 Disadvantage and male cancer incidence and mortality in New South Wales 1985-1993
by Burnley, I. H.
- 477-484 Awareness of dying: Prevalence, causes and consequences
by Seale, Clive & Addington-Hall, Julia & McCarthy, Mark
- 485-496 Ethnicity, equity and the use of health services in the British NHS
by Smaje, Chris & Le Grand, Julian
- 497-499 Problem-based learning in medicine: New curriculum, old stereotypes
by Phillips, Susan P.
July 1997, Volume 45, Issue 2
- 171-188 Is nondashmetropolitan residence a risk factor for poor birth outcome in the U.S.?
by Larson, Eric H. & Hart, L. Gary & Rosenblatt, Roger A.
- 189-201 Medication, chronic illness and identity: The perspective of people with asthma
by Adams, Stephanie & Pill, Roisin & Jones, Alan
- 203-212 Health care and consumer choice: Medical and alternative therapies
by Kelner, Merrijoy & Wellman, Beverly
- 213-220 Socioeconomic inequity in health care: A study of services utilization in Curaçao
by Alberts, Jantina F. & Sanderman, Robbert & Eimers, J. Marietta & Van Den Heuvel, Wim J. A.
- 221-230 Quality of life: A dynamic construct
by Allison, P. J. & Locker, D. & Feine, J. S.
- 231-246 Sex differences in physical symptoms: The contribution of symptom perception theory
by van Wijk, Cécile M. T. Gijsbers & Kolk, Annemarie M.
- 247-259 Population growth, poverty and health
by Kibirige, Joachim S.
- 261-271 Appropriateness in health care: Application to prescribing
by Buetow, Stephen A. & Sibbald, Bonnie & Cantrill, Judith A. & Halliwell, Shirley
- 273-281 Migrancy, masculine identities and AIDS: The psychosocial context of HIV transmission on the South African gold mines
by Campbell, Catherine
- 283-294 Cleaning the womb: Constructions of cervical screening and womb cancer among rural Black women in South Africa
by Wood, Katharine & Jewkes, Rachel & Abrahams, Naeemah
- 295-303 Head injury rehabilitation in the U.K.: An economic perspective
by McGregor, K. & Pentland, B.
- 305-317 Female life expectancy, gender stratification, health status, and level of economic development: A cross-national study of less developed countries
by Williamson, John B. & Boehmer, Ulrike
- 319-329 Communicating with the people about HIV infection risk as a basis for planning interventions: Lessons from the Kagera region of Tanzania
by Killewo, J. & Sandström, A. & Dahlgren, L. & Wall, S.
- 331-340 The effect of spatial definition on the allocation of clients to screening clinics
by Hyndman, Jilda & D'Arcy, C. & Holman, J. & Jamrozik, K.
July 1997, Volume 45, Issue 1
- 1-2 Conventions, ethics and laws in journal publishing
by Macintyre, Sally
- 3-14 Morbidity and Irish Catholic descent in Britain: An ethnic and religious minority 150 years on
by Abbotts, Joanne & Williams, Rory & Ford, Graeme & Hunt, Kate & West, Patrick
- 15-22 HIV-infected women: Barriers to AZT use
by Siegel, Karolynn & Gorey, Eileen
- 23-33 Negotiating spaces in home environments: Older women living with arthritis
by Moss, Pamela
- 35-40 Young doctors' health--I. How do working conditions affect attitudes, health and performance?
by Baldwin, P. J. & Dodd, M. & Wrate, R. W.
- 41-44 Young doctors' health--II. Health and health behaviour
by Baldwin, P. J. & Dodd, M. & Wrate, R. M.
- 45-49 The status of genetic material and genetic information in The Netherlands
by de Witte, Joke I. & Welie, Jos V. M.
- 51-60 Ownership of genetic material and information
by de Witte, Joke I. & Have, Henk Ten
- 61-69 World War I origins of the syphilis epidemic among 20th century black Americans: A biohistorical analysis
by Miles, Toni P. & McBride, David
- 71-89 Bore holes and the vanishing of guinea worm disease in Ghana's Upper Region
by Hunter, John M.
- 91-98 Lay injection practices among migrant farmworkers in the age of AIDS: Evolution of a biomedical folk practice
by McVea, Kristine L. S. P.
- 99-111 Life stories and shared experience
by Steffen, Vibeke
- 113-125 Sociocultural factors and the promotion of exclusive breastfeeding in rural Yoruba communities of Osun State, Nigeria
by Davies-Adetugbo, Anita A.
- 127-136 Gender differences in correlates of disablement among the elderly in Egypt
by Lamb, Vicki L.
- 137-147 Understanding donors' motivations: A study of unrelated bone marrow donors
by Switzer, Galen E. & Dew, Mary Amanda & Butterworth, Victoria A. & Simmons, Roberta G. & Schimmel, Mindy
- 149-157 Women's health status and use of health services in a rapidly growing peri-urban area of South Africa
by Hoffman, M. & Pick, W. M. & Cooper, D. & Myers, J. E.
- 159-169 Dietary and lifestyle correlates of passive smoking in Hong Kong, Japan, Sweden, and the U.S.A
by Koo, Linda C. & Kabat, Geoffrey C. & Rylander, Ragnar & Tominaga, Suketami & Kato, Ikuko & Ho, John H-C.
June 1997, Volume 44, Issue 12
- 1771-1779 Some conceptual considerations on the sense of coherence
by Geyer, Siegfried
- 1781-1790 The poor pay more: Health-related inequality in Thailand
by Pannarunothai, Supasit & Mills, Anne
- 1791-1803 Health-seeking strategies and sexual health among female sex workers in urban India: Implications for research and service provision
by Evans, Catrin & Lambert, Helen
- 1805-1816 Costs and benefits of improving tuberculosis control: The case of Thailand
by Sawert, Holger & Kongsin, Sukhontha & Payanandan, Vallop & Akarasewi, Pasakorn & Nunn, Paul P. & Raviglione, Mario C.
- 1817-1824 Women's perceptions of the complications of pregnancy and childbirth in two Esan communities, Edo State, Nigeria
by Asowa-Omorodion, Francisca Isibhakhome
- 1825-1832 Women physicians in Quebec
by De Koninck, Maria & Bergeron, Pierre & Bourbonnais, Renée
- 1833-1845 Women's hidden transcripts about abortion in Brazil
by Nations, Marilyn K. & Misago, Chizuru & Fonseca, Walter & Correia, Luciano L. & Campbell, Oona M. R.
- 1847-1859 Female labor force participation and suicide
by Burr, Jeffrey A. & McCall, Patricia L. & Powell-Griner, Eve
- 1861-1869 Girls, pecking order and smoking
by Michell, Lynn & Amos, Amanda
- 1871-1880 Long-term benzodiazepine use: Factors of importance and the development of individual use patterns over time--A 13-year follow-up in a Swedish community
by Isacson, Dag
- 1881-1891 Socioeconomic status and adolescent injuries
by Williams, J. M. & Currie, C. E. & Wright, P. & Elton, R. A. & Beattie, T. F.
- 1893-1902 Dispersion index: Measuring trend assessment of geographical inequality in health--The example of under-five mortality in the Middle East/North African region, 1980-1994
by Galal, Osman M. & Qureshi, Azhar K.
- 1903-1909 The Gambian National Impregnated Bednet Programme: Evaluation of the 1994 cost recovery trial
by Müller, Olaf & Cham, Kabbir & Jaffar, Shabbar & Greenwood, Brian
- 1911-1917 Willingness to pay for antihypertensive care: Evidence from a staff-model HMO
by Ramsey, Scott D. & Sullivan, Sean D. & Psaty, Bruce M. & Patrick, Donald L.
- 1919-1929 Are there social correlates to suicide?
by Mäkinen, Ilkka
- 1931-1932 A call for consistency in definition of breastfeeding behaviors
by Labbok, Miriam H. & Coffin, C. Jared
June 1997, Volume 44, Issue 11
- 1603-1610 Patients' acceptance of waiting for cataract surgery: What makes a wait too long?
by Dunn, Elaine & Black, Charlyn & Alonso, Jordi & Norregaard, Jens Christian & Anderson, Gerard F.
- 1611-1621 Meanings in policy: A textual analysis of Canada's "Achieving Health for All" document
by Iannantuono, Adele & Eyles, John
- 1623-1647 Health status and risk factors of seminomadic pastoralists in Mongolia: A geographical approach
by Foggin, Peter M. & Farkas, Otto & Shiirev-Adiya, S. & Chinbat, B.
- 1649-1659 Urban ecological structure and perceived child and adolescent psychological disorder
by Leclair, James A. & Innes, Frank C.
- 1661-1674 Community and self: Concepts for rural physician integration and retention
by Cutchin, Malcolm P.
- 1675-1684 Intra-household allocation of food and health care: Current findings and understandings--Introduction
by Messer, Ellen
- 1685-1695 Social class, gender and intrahousehold food allocations to children in South Asia
by Miller, Barbara D.
- 1697-1709 Food allocation in rural Peruvian households: Concepts and behavior regarding children
by Graham, Margaret A.
- 1711-1723 Health care allocation and selective neglect in rural Peru
by Larme, Anne C.
- 1725-1738 Why are boys so small? Child growth, diet and gender near Ranomafana, Madagascar
by Hardenbergh, Sabrina H. B.
- 1739-1749 Cultural factors, caloric intake and micronutrient sufficiency in rural Nepali households
by Gittelsohn, Joel & Thapa, Meera & Landman, Laura T.
- 1751-1759 Examining the gender gap in nutrition: An example from rural Mexico
by Backstrand, Jeffrey R. & Allen, Lindsay H. & Pelto, Gretel H. & Chávez, Adolfo
- 1761-1766 Physician location survey: Self-reported and census-defined rural/urban locations
by Lin, Ge & Rosenthal, Thomas C. & Horwitz, Mary
May 1997, Volume 44, Issue 10
- 1433-1452 Disclosure practices and cultural narratives: Understanding concealment and silence around cancer in Tuscany, Italy
by Gordon, Deborah R. & Paci, Eugenio
- 1453-1464 Designing educational messages to improve weaning food hygiene practices of families living in proverty
by Monte, Cristina M. G. & Ashworth, Ann & Nations, Marilyn K. & Lima, A. A. & Barreto, A. & Huttly, Sharon R. A.
- 1465-1482 A change of heart and a change of mind? Technology and the redefinition of death in 1968
by Giacomini, Mita
- 1483-1490 Age, adjustment, and costs: A study of chronic illnesses
by Watt, Susan & Roberts, Jacqueline & Browne, Gina & Gafni, Amiram
- 1491-1502 Surrogate assessment of coronary artery disease patients' functional capacity
by Von Dras, Dean D. & Siegler, Ilene C. & Williams, Redford B. & Clapp-Channing, Nancy & Haney, Thomas L. & Mark, Daniel B.
- 1503-1517 Beyond single indicators of social networks: A LISREL analysis of social ties among the elderly
by Glass, Thomas A. & de Leon, Carlos F. Mendes & Seeman, Teresa E. & Berkman, Lisa F.
- 1519-1530 Mapping visual analogue scale health state valuations onto standard gamble and time trade-off values
by Dolan, Paul & Sutton, Matthew
- 1531-1540 Patient preference for genders of health professionals
by Kerssens, Jan J. & Bensing, Jozien M. & Andela, Margriet G.
- 1541-1551 Women's health care: For whom and why?
by van den Brink-Muinen, A.
- 1553-1561 Patterns of sexual behaviour in a rural population in north-western Tanzania
by Munguti, Katua & Grosskurth, Heiner & Newell, James & Senkoro, Kesheni & Mosha, Frank & Todd, James & Mayaud, Philippe & Gavyole, Awena & Quigley, Maria & Hayes, Richard
- 1563-1563 Introduction to symposium: On-going studies in critical medical anthropology
by Baer, Hans A.
- 1565-1573 The misconstruction of critical medical anthropology: A response to a cultural constructivist critique
by Baer, Hans A.
- 1575-1583 Constructing a complex of contagion: The perceptions of AIDS among working prostitutes in Costa Rica
by Downe, Pamela J.
- 1585-1600 Hard lives and evil winds: Illness aetiology and the search for healing amongst Ciskeian villagers
by Segar, Julia
May 1997, Volume 44, Issue 9
- 1259-1269 Studying the quality of life after organ transplantation: Research problems and solutions
by Joralemon, Donald & Fujinaga, Kim Mika
- 1271-1283 Kidney failure and transplantation in China
by Ikels, Charlotte
- 1285-1302 Changing patterns of pharmaceutical practice in the United States
by Vuckovic, Nancy & Nichter, Mark
- 1303-1312 Effectiveness of condoms in preventing HIV transmission
by Pinkerton, Steven D. & Abramson, Paul R.
- 1313-1323 After unification: Gender and subjective health status in East and West Germany
by Lüschen, Günther & Geling, Olga & Janßen, Christian & Kunz, Gerhard & Von Dem Knesebeck, Olaf
- 1325-1339 Understanding the variability in the effectiveness of community heart health programs: A meta-analysis
by Sellers, Deborah E. & Crawford, Sybil L. & Bullock, Karen & Mckinlay, John B.
- 1341-1348 Nonconventional medicine in Israel: Consultation patterns of the Israeli population and attitudes of primary care physicians
by Bernstein, Judith H. & Shuval, Judith T.
- 1349-1356 The socio-economic distribution of heart diseases: Changing gradients in the Netherlands
by Otten, Ferdy W. J. & Bosma, Hans H. A.
- 1357-1365 The impact of anomia as a factor in a demand resource model of health
by Freidl, W.
- 1367-1369 Policy, praxis, and medical anthropology : Introduction: Health policy and health praxis in the United States--A symposium
by Anglin, Mary K.
- 1371-1380 Pregnancy and addiction: Translating research into practice
by Whiteford, Linda M. & Vitucci, Judi
- 1381-1391 Anthropological research and the politics of HIV prevention: Towards a critique of policy and priorities in the age of AIDS
by Waterston, Alisse
- 1393-1401 Clearing the air: Challenges to introducing smoking restrictions in West Virginia
by Stebbins, Kenyon R.
- 1403-1415 Working from the inside out: Implications of breast cancer activism for biomedical policies and practices
by Anglin, Mary K.
- 1417-1425 Politicizing abortion: Personal morality and professional responsibility of residents training in the United States
by Lazarus, Ellen S.
- 1427-1430 Firearm suicide among older women in the U.S
by Kaplan, Mark S. & Adamek, Margaret E. & Geling, Olga & Calderon, Alvin
April 1997, Volume 44, Issue 8
- 1-1 Valedictory editorial
by McEwan, Peter J. M.
- 1081-1088 Problems and promises of the protocol
by Berg, Marc
- 1089-1096 Hostility, cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption in the general population
by Whiteman, M. C. & Fowkes, F. G. R. & Deary, I. J. & Lee, A. J.
- 1097-1106 High functioning autistic children and the construction of "normal family life"
by Gray, David E.
- 1107-1114 Prenatal biopsychosocial risk assessment and low birthweight
by Herrera, Julian A. & Salmerón, Bertha & Hurtado, Hugo
- 1115-1127 The influence of culture and context on the pre- and post-migration experience of school-aged refugees from Central America and Southeast Asia in Canada
by Rousseau, Cecile & Drapeau, Aline & Corin, Ellen
- 1129-1139 Coping with loss of ability: "Good grief" or episodic stress responses?
by Hewson, Daphne
- 1141-1148 Local and institutional interpretations of IUDs in southwestern Nigeria
by Renne, Elisha P.
- 1149-1160 Interpreting silence, documenting experience: An anthropological approach to the study of health service users' experience with HIV/AIDS care in Lothian, Scotland
by Huby, Guro
- 1161-1168 Socio-economic differences in general practitioner and outpatient specialist care in the Netherlands: A matter of health insurance?
by Bongers, Inge M. B. & Van Der Meer, Joost B. W. & Van Den Bos, Johannes & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 1169-1180 Wife-beating in rural South India: A qualitative and econometric analysis
by Rao, Vijayendra
- 1181-1193 Male and female circumcision in Africa from a regional to a specific Nigerian examination
by Caldwell, John C. & Orubuloye, I. O. & Caldwell, Pat
- 1195-1207 Perceived male sexual needs and male sexual behaviour in southwest Nigeria
by Orubuloye, I. O. & Caldwell, John C. & Caldwell, Pat
- 1209-1210 Interdisciplinary health research--A symposium
by Sachs, Lisbeth & Krantz, Ingela
- 1211-1220 The difficulties of compiling a glossary of diseases associated with sexual intercourse in Chiawa, Rural Zambia
by Bond, Virginia & Ndubani, Phillimon
- 1221-1228 Practice-knowledge-attitudes-practice: An explorative study of information in primary care
by Diwan, Vinod K. & Sachs, Lisbeth & Wahlström, Rolf
- 1229-1238 North-South health research collaboration: Challenges in institutional interaction
by Maina-Ahlberg, Beth & Nordberg, Erik & Tomson, Göran
- 1239-1243 Partner notification in context: Swedish and Zambian experiences
by Faxelid, Elisabeth A. & Ramstedt, Kristina M.
- 1245-1254 Lessons for life--Past and present modes of sexuality education in Tanzanian society
by Fuglesang, Minou
April 1997, Volume 44, Issue 7
- 911-924 Isihlambezo: Utilization patterns and potential health effects of pregnancy-related traditional herbal medicine
by Varga, C. A. & Veale, D. J. H.
- 925-934 Duration of general practice consultations: Association with patient occupational and educational status
by Wiggers, John H. & Sanson-Fisher, Rob
- 935-947 The hierarchical diffusion of AIDS and violent crime among U.S. metropolitan regions: Inner-city decay, stochastic resonance and reversal of the mortality transition
by Wallace, Rodrick & Huang, Yi-Shan & Gould, Peter & Wallace, Deborah
- 949-968 Spatial patterns of human water contact and Schistosoma mansoni transmission and infection in four rural areas in Machakos District, Kenya
by Kloos, H. & Fulford, A. J. C. & Butterworth, A. E. & Sturrock, R. F. & Ouma, J. H. & Kariuki, H. C. & Thiongo, F. W. & Dalton, P. R. & Klumpp, R. K.
- 969-976 The accuracy of self-reported Pap smear utilisation
by Bowman, Jennifer Ann & Sanson-Fisher, Rob & Redman, Sally
- 977-987 Clinical guidelines and the fate of medical autonomy in Ontario
by Rappolt, Susan G.
- 989-1002 What explains rural-urban differentials in child mortality in Brazil?
by Sastry, Narayan
- 1003-1016 The role of access in explaining state abortion rates
by Gober, Patricia
- 1017-1022 Doctors' perceptions of the links between stress and lowered clinical care
by Firth-Cozens, Jenny & Greenhalgh, Joanne
- 1023-1042 Effects of socioeconomic disadvantage and women's status on women's health in Cameroon
by Defo, Barthélémy Kuate
- 1043-1049 Cardiac disease construction on the borderland
by Daly, Jeanne & Mcdonald, Ian
- 1051-1063 Integration lay and nurse-midwifery into the U.S. and Canadian health care systems
by Bourgeault, Ivy Lynn & Fynes, Mary
- 1065-1068 Potential use of traditional fermented foods for weaning in Zimbabwe
by Simango, Clifford
- 1069-1071 Integrating behavioral and social sciences research at the National Institutes of Health, U.S.A
by Anderson, Norman B.
- 1073-1076 Sectoral investment in health: Prescription or principles?
by Cassels, Andrew & Janovsky, Katja
March 1997, Volume 44, Issue 6
- 721-722 Introduction
by Lahelma, Eero & Rahkonen, Ossi
- 723-745 The black report and beyond what are the issues?
by Macintyre, Sally
- 747-756 Whose fault is it? People's own conceptions of the reasons for health inequalities
by Blaxter, Mildred
- 757-771 Measuring the magnitude of socio-economic inequalities in health: An overview of available measures illustrated with two examples from Europe
by Mackenbach, Johan P. & Kunst, Anton E.
- 773-787 Comparing inequalities in women's and men's health: Britain in the 1990s
by Arber, Sara
- 789-799 Changes in the social patterning of health? The case of Finland 1986-1994
by Lahelma, Eero & Rahkonen, Ossi & Huuhka, Minna
- 801-808 Health expectancy by level of education in Finland
by Valkonen, Tapani & Sihvonen, Ari-Pekka & Lahelma, Eero
- 809-819 Why do poor people behave poorly? Variation in adult health behaviours and psychosocial characteristics by stages of the socioeconomic lifecourse
by Lynch, J. W. & Kaplan, G. A. & Salonen, J. T.
- 821-831 Childhood conditions, sense of coherence, social class and adult ill health: Exploring their theoretical and empirical relations
by Lundberg, Olle
- 833-858 Health inequalities in the early years: Is there equalisation in youth?
by West, Patrick
- 859-869 Health inequalities in the life course perspective
by Wadsworth, M. E. J.
- 871-881 Health inequalities in later life in a social democratic welfare state
by Dahl, Espen & Birkelund, Gunn Elisabeth
- 883-899 The integration of two health systems: Social stratification, work and health in East and West Germany
by Lüschen, Günther & Niemann, Steffen & Apelt, Peter
- 901-910 Social inequalities in health: Next questions and converging evidence
by Marmot, Michael & Ryff, Carol D. & Bumpass, Larry L. & Shipley, Martin & Marks, Nadine F.
March 1997, Volume 44, Issue 5
- 553-559 Beliefs on coping with illness: A consumer's perspective
by De Ridder, Denise & Depla, Marja & Severens, Peter & Malsch, Marijke
- 561-571 Shattered assumptions: Time and the experience of long-term HIV positivity
by Davies, Michele L.
- 573-577 Effects of a randomized health education intervention on aspects of peproductive health knowledge and reported behaviour among adolescents in Zimbabwe
by Mbizvo, M. T. & Kasule, J. & Gupta, V. & Rusakaniko, S. & Kinoti, S. N. & Mpanju-Shumbushu, W. & Sebina-Zziwa, A. J. & Mwateba, R. & Padayachy, J.
- 579-587 Identity, ideology and inequality: Methodologies in medical anthropology, Guatemala 1950-1995
by Barrett, Bruce
- 589-599 "Ruling in" and "ruling out": Two approaches to the micro-rationing of health care
by Hughes, David & Griffiths, Lesley
- 601-608 Conceptualizing oral health and oral health-related quality of life
by Gift, Helen C. & Atchison, Kathryn A. & Dayton, C. Mitchell