Social Science & Medicine
February 1997, Volume 44, Issue 3
January 1997, Volume 44, Issue 2
- 137-146 Practitioner provision of preventive care in general practice consultations: Association with patient educational and occupational status
by Wiggers, John H. & Sanson-Fisher, Rob
- 147-155 Nurse staffing patterns and hospital efficiency in the United States
by Bloom, Joan R. & Alexander, Jeffrey A. & Nuchols, Beverly A.
- 157-169 Health expenditures in Latin America and the Caribbean
by Govindaraj, Ramesh & Chellaraj, Gnanaraj & Murray, Christopher J. L.
- 171-180 Traditions and reproductive technology in an urbanizing north Indian village
by Khanna, Sunil K.
- 181-187 Suicide among foreign-born minorities and native Swedes: An epidemiological follow-up study of a defined population
by Johansson, Leena Maria & Sundquist, Jan & Johansson, Sven-Erik & Bergman, B. O. & Qvist, Jan & Träskman-Bendz, Lil
- 189-198 Long-term illness among indigenous and foreign-born people in Sweden
by Sundquist, Jan & Johansson, Sven-Erik
- 199-213 Contexts and patterns of men's commercial sexual partnerships in northeastern Thailand: Implications for AIDS prevention
by Maticka-Tyndale, Eleanor & Elkins, David & Haswell-Elkins, Melissa & Rujkarakorn, Darunee & Kuyyakanond, Thicumporn & Stam, Kathryn
- 215-230 White, red and black: Colour classification and illness management in Northern Ghana
by Kirby, Jon P.
- 231-240 The development of a training model to improve health professionals' skills, self-efficacy and outcome expectancies when communicating with cancer patients
by Parle, Michael & Maguire, Peter & Heaven, Cathy
- 241-249 Marital status and quality of relationships: The impact on health perception
by Ren, Xinhua Steve
- 251-260 Measuring the human cost of a weak economy: Does unemployment lead to alcohol abuse?
by Ettner, Susan L.
- 261-267 Alcohol abuse and mortality: A 40-year prospective study of Norwegian conscripts
by Rossow, Ingeborg & Amundsen, Arvid
- 269-272 Socioeconomic factors and dental caries in developing countries: A cross-national study
by Miura, Hiroko & Araki, Yoshima & Haraguchi, Katsuhiro & Arai, Yumiko & Umenai, Takusei
January 1997, Volume 44, Issue 1
- 1-12 The background of adolescent pregnancies in Nicaragua: A qualitative approach
by Berglund, Staffan & Liljestrand, Jerker & De María Marín, Flor & Salgado, Norma & Zelaya, Elmer
- 13-24 The contribution of childhood environment to the explanation of socio-economic inequalities in health in adult life: A retrospective study
by Van De Mheen, H. & Stronks, K. & Van Den Bos, J. & Mackenbach, J. P.
- 25-40 Sexual risk-taking, socio-sexual biographies and sexual interaction: Elements of the French national survey on sexual behaviour
by Bajos, Nathalie & Ducot, Béatrice & Spencer, Brenda & Spira, Alfred
- 41-53 Alone in the crowd: How adults with learning difficulties cope with social networks problems
by Heyman, Bob & Swain, John & Gillman, Maureen & Handyside, Elizabeth C. & Newman, Wendy
- 55-61 The nature of parasuicide in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
by Ndosi, N. K. & Waziri, M. C.
- 63-70 Social inequality and injuries: Do morbidity patterns differ from mortality?
by Kelly, Susan M. & Miles-Doan, Rebecca
- 71-83 Deinstitutionalization, homelessness, and the myth of psychiatric abandonment: A structural anthropology perspective
by Mossman, Douglas
- 85-92 Questioning patient satisfaction: An empirical investigation in two outpatient clinics
by Avis, Mark & Bond, Meg & Arthur, Antony
- 93-101 Family life and smoking in adolescence
by Glendinning, Anthony & Shucksmith, Janet & Hendry, Leo
- 103-122 Geographical patterns of guinea worm infestation in Ghana: An historical contribution
by Hunter, John M.
- 123-131 Low mortality from ischaemic heart disease in the Sámi district of Finland
by Näyhä, Simo
December 1996, Volume 43, Issue 12
- 1685-1695 Infinitesimal risk as public health crisis: News media coverage of a doctor-patient HIV contact tracing investigation
by Brown, Julianne & Chapman, Simon & Lupton, Deborah
- 1697-1702 Infant feeding patterns on Mauritius Island, 1991
by Grummer-Strawn, Laurence M. & Kalasopatan, Soobrayen & Sungkur, J. & Friedman, Jay
- 1703-1707 Dementia-free life expectancy (DemFLE) in The Netherlands
by Perenboom, Rom J. M. & Boshuizen, Hendriek C. & Breteler, Monique M. B. & Ott, Alewijn & Van de Water, Harry P. A.
- 1709-1720 Determinants of the use of ambulant social care by the elderly
by Crets, Stefan
- 1721-1728 The effect of violent attacks by schizophrenic persons on the attitude of the public towards the mentally ill
by Angermeyer, Matthias C. & Matschinger, Herbert
- 1729-1742 Credit programs, patriarchy and men's violence against women in rural Bangladesh
by Schuler, Sidney Ruth & Hashemi, Syed M. & Riley, Ann P. & Akhter, Shireen
- 1743-1754 Social networks, social support, personal empowerment, and the adaptation of psychiatric consumers/survivors: Path analytic models
by Hall, G. Brent & Nelson, Geoffrey
- 1755-1763 Services for adults who have experienced child sexual assault: Improving agency response
by Gibbons, Jill
- 1765-1784 Childbearing research: A transcultural review
by Steinberg, Susanne
- 1785-1794 Impact of witnessing death on hospice patients
by Payne, Sheila & Hillier, Richard & Langley-Evans, Alison & Roberts, Tony
- 1795-1804 QALYs and ethics: A health economist's perspective
by Williams, Alan
- 1805-1815 The struggle of weaning: Factors determining breastfeeding duration in East Bhutan
by Bøhler, Erik & Ingstad, Benedicte
- 1817-1827 An economic and sociological interpretation of social differences in health-related behaviour: An encounter as a guide to social epidemiology
by Lindbladh, Eva & Lyttkens, Carl Hampus & Hanson, Bertil S. & Östergren, Perolof & Isacsson, Sven-Olof & Lindgren, Björn
- 1829-1838 The social construction of drug debates
by Dingelstad, David & Gosden, Richard & Martin, Brian & Vakas, Nickolas
December 1996, Volume 43, Issue 11
- 1527-1532 Percentage of elderly and the use of welfare services at city welfare offices in Japan
by Ida, Osamu & Tatara, Kozo & Fujiwara, Hitoshi & Takashima, Yoshihiro & Kuroda, Kenji
- 1533-1541 A conceptual framework for the study of early readmission as an indicator of quality of care
by Ashton, Carol M. & Wray, Nelda P.
- 1543-1549 Rapid prescribing change, how do patients respond?
by Dowell, Jon S. & Snadden, David & Dunbar, James A.
- 1551-1560 A review of successful transport and home injury interventions to guide developing countries
by Forjuoh, Samuel N. & LI, Guohua
- 1561-1567 Preserving the pot and water: A traditional concept of reproductive health in a Yoruba community, Nigeria
by Adetunji, Jacob A.
- 1569-1578 Interaction, language and the "narrative turn" in psychotherapy and psychiatry
by Brown, Brian & Nolan, Peter & Crawford, Paul & Lewis, Alison
- 1579-1590 Health, hygiene and maternal education: Evidence from The Gambia
by Barrett, Hazel & Browne, Angela
- 1591-1600 The consequences of knowing: Ethical and legal liabilities in illicit drug research
by Fitzgerald, John & Hamilton, Margaret
- 1601-1610 The assessment of disability with the Groningen Activity Restriction Scale. Conceptual framework and psychometric properties
by Kempen, G. I. J. M. & Miedema, I. & Ormel, J. & Molenaar, W.
- 1611-1619 Utilization of health care in an African urban area: Results from a household survey in Ouagadougou, Burkina-Faso
by Develay, A. & Sauerborn, R. & Diesfeld, H. J.
- 1621-1625 Predictors of family anxiety in the weeks before bereavement
by Higginson, Irene & Priest, Patricia
- 1627-1636 Paid work, unpaid work and social support: A study of the health of male and female nurses
by Walters, Vivienne & Lenton, Rhonda & French, Susan & Eyles, John & Mayr, Janet & Newbold, Bruce
- 1637-1648 Depression in the work of British health visitors: Clinical facets
by Sheppard, Michael
- 1649-1663 Women, alcohol and work: Interactions of gender, ethnicity and occupational culture
by Ames, Genevieve M. & Rebhun, L. A.
- 1665-1671 Sociocultural and behavioural determinants of obesity among Inuit in the central Canadian Arctic
by Young, T. Kue
- 1673-1678 Regional inequities in health expectancy in Belgium
by Van Oyen, Herman & Tafforeau, Jean & Roelands, Marc
November 1996, Volume 43, Issue 10
- 1431-1441 Urbanisation, household composition and the reproductive health of women in a South African city
by Pick, William M. & Obermeyer, Carla Makhlouf
- 1443-1451 Gender differences in health: Evidence from the Czech Republic
by Hraba, Joseph & Lorenz, Frederick & Lee, Gang & Pechacová, Zdenka
- 1453-1460 Sex differences in coping and depression among young adults
by Hänninen, Vilma & Aro, Hillevi
- 1461-1465 Gender differences in postneonatal infant mortality in Taiwan
by Yang, Wen-Shan & Knöbel, Harald H. & Chen, Chien-Jen
- 1467-1474 Socio-regional context as a determinant of adolescents' health behaviour in Finland
by Karvonen, Sakari & Rimpelä, Arja
- 1475-1488 Does women's work improve their nutrition: Evidence from the urban Philippines
by Bisgrove, Eilene Z. & Popkin, Barry M.
- 1489-1506 Recovery from anorexia nervosa: A Durkheimian interpretation
by Garrett, Catherine J.
- 1507-1516 Obstetric morbidity in south India: Results from a community survey
by Bhatia, Jagdish C. & Cleland, John
- 1517-1523 Shared understandings for informed consent: The relevance of psychological research on the provision of information
by Kent, Gerry
November 1996, Volume 43, Issue 9
- 1299-1308 Reactivity and repeatability of hygiene behaviour: Structured observations from Burkina Faso
by Cousens, Simon & Kanki, Bernadette & Toure, Seydou & Diallo, Ibrahim & Curtis, Valerie
- 1309-1316 Physical and psychological well-being among immigrant referrals to colonoscopy
by Anson, Ofra & Pilpel, Dina & Rolnik, Valentina
- 1317-1327 The choice of alternative therapy for health care: Testing some propositions
by McGregor, Katherine J. & Peay, Edmund R.
- 1329-1348 The practice of Chinese medicine in Taiwan
by Chi, Chunhuei & Lee, Jwo-Leun & Lai, Jim-Shoung & Chen, Chiu-Yin & Chang, Shu-Kuei & Chen, Shih-Chien
- 1349-1358 The social construction of anticipatory grief
by Fulton, Graham & Madden, Chris & Minichiello, Victor
- 1359-1370 Dissonant loss: The experiences of donor relatives
by Sque, Magi & Payne, Sheila A.
- 1371-1377 Dirty, diseased and undeserving: The positioning of HIV positive women
by Lawless, Sonia & Kippax, Susan & Crawford, June
- 1379-1387 Haiti: Unions, fertility and the quest for survival
by Maynard-Tucker, Gisèle
- 1389-1397 An international study on measuring social support: Interactions and satisfaction
by Doeglas, Dirk & Suurmeijer, Theo & Briançon, Serge & Moum, Torbjørn & Krol, Boudien & Bjelle, Anders & Sanderman, Robbert & van den Heuvel, Wim
- 1399-1425 An introduction to guinea worm on the eve of its departure: Dracunculiasis transmission, health effects, ecology and control
by Hunter, John M.
October 1996, Volume 43, Issue 8
- 1169-1178 AIDS as a paradox of manhood and development in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
by Setel, Phlip
- 1179-1187 The meaning of 6.8: Numeracy and normality in health information talks
by Adelswärd, Viveka & Sachs, Lisbeth
- 1189-1198 Face and politeness in pharmacist-physician interaction
by Lambert, Bruce L.
- 1199-1204 Compulsory testing for HIV in Hungary
by Danziger, Renée
- 1205-1211 The impact of health education to promote cloth filters on dracunculiasis prevalence in the Northern Region, Ghana
by Tayeh, Ahmed & Cairncross, Sandy & Maude, Gillian H.
- 1213-1222 Oral health and quality of life in New Zealand: A social perspective
by Chen, Meei-Shia & Hunter, Peter
- 1223-1228 Lay beliefs about diarrhoeal diseases: Their role in health education in a developing country
by Pitts, Marian & Mcmaster, John & Hartmann, Tamara & Mausezahl, D.
- 1229-1236 How reliable are relatives' retrospective reports of terminal illness? Patients' and relatives' accounts compared
by Hinton, John
- 1237-1243 Cognition and affect after cervical screening: The role of previous test outcome and personal obligation in future uptake expectations
by Orbell, Sheina
- 1245-1251 Patient attitude as a function of disease state in Multiple Sclerosis
by Evers, Kaylene J. & Karnilowicz, Wally
- 1253-1261 Compassionate-empathic physicians: Personality traits and social-organizational factors that enhance or inhibit this behavior pattern
by Carmel, Sara & Glick, Seymour M.
- 1263-1271 Equity in the access to mammography in Spain
by Luengo, S. & Lázaro, P. & Madero, R. & Alvira, F. & Fitch, K. & Azcona, B. & Pérez, J. M. & Caballero, P.
- 1273-1282 The mental health impact of stillbirth, neonatal death or SIDS: Prevalence and patterns of distress among mothers
by Boyle, Frances M. & Vance, John C. & Najman, Jake M. & Thearle, M. John
- 1283-1287 Physicians' view of practice guidelines. A survey of Italian physicians
by Grilli, Roberto & Penna, Angelo & Zola, Paolo & Liberati, Alessandro
- 1289-1294 Scope for fly control as a diarrhoea intervention in Pakistan: A community perspective
by Chavasse, Desmond & Ahmad, Nisar & Akhtar, Tasleem
October 1996, Volume 43, Issue 7
- 1035-1047 Immigrants and health: Unemployment and health-risks of labour migrants in the Federal Republic of Germany, 1984-1992
by Elkeles, Thomas & Seifert, Wolfgang
- 1049-1056 Health care access and preventive care among Vietnamese immigrants: Do traditional beliefs and practices pose barriers?
by Jenkins, Christopher N. H. & Le, Thao & McPhee, Stephen J. & Stewart, Susan & Ha, Ngoc The
- 1057-1062 Missing front teeth in exile Tamils--An unresolved phenomenon
by Wolf, Manfred
- 1063-1072 International stratification and the health of women: An empirical comparison of alternative models of world-system position
by Dyches, Hayne & Rushing, Beth
- 1073-1081 Physician preventive care philosophy and the five year durability of a preventive services office system
by Rebelsky, Michelle S. & Sox, Carol Hill & Dietrich, Allen J. & Schwab, Brenda R. & Labaree, Christine E. & Brown-Mckinney, Nancy
- 1083-1095 Child development and long-term outcomes: A population health perspective and summary of successful interventions
by Hertzman, C. & Wiens, M.
- 1097-1107 Maternal and child health in Albania
by Senturia, Kirsten D.
- 1109-1118 Migration of persons with AIDS--A search for support from elderly parents?
by Ellis, Mark & Muschkin, Clara
- 1119-1126 The relation of self-reported back pain to psychosocial, behavioral, and health-related factors in a working population in Switzerland
by Foppa, Ivo & Noack, Richard H.
- 1127-1136 The end of the road? Lay views on a pain-relief clinic
by Bendelow, Gillian A. & Williams, Simon J.
- 1137-1143 Is patient-controlled analgesia controlled by the patient?
by Taylor, Neil & Hall, George M. & Salmon, Peter
- 1145-1159 Role of control and support in occupational stress: An integrated model
by Baker, Elizabeth & Israel, Barbara & Schurman, Susan
September 1996, Volume 43, Issue 6
- 901-902 Change of editorial structure at Social Science & Medicine
by Macintyre, Sally
- 903-917 The effects of health and treatment perceptions on the use of prescribed medication and home remedies among African American and white American hypertensives
by Brown, Carolyn M. & Segal, Richard
- 919-931 Hearing the patient's 'voice': Toward a social poetics in diagnostic interviews
by Katz, Arlene M. & Shotter, John
- 933-945 Treatment seeking for malaria: A review of recent research
by McCombie, S. C.
- 947-954 A randomized trial of an empirically-derived social support intervention to prevent low birthweight among African American women
by Norbeck, Jane S. & DeJoseph, Jeanne F. & Smith, Renée T.
- 955-965 Behavior, attitudes, and expectations regarding the use of life-sustaining treatments among physicians in Israel: An exploratory study
by Carmel, Sara
- 967-974 Age differences among Japanese on the center for epidemiologic studies depression scale: An ethnocultural perspective on somatization
by Iwata, Noboru & Roberts, Robert E.
- 975-983 Access and utilization: A continuum of health service environments
by Rosenberg, Mark W. & Hanlon, Neil T.
- 985-998 Willingness to pay for child survival: Results of a national survey in Central African Republic
by Weaver, Marcia & Ndamobissi, Robert & Kornfield, Ruth & Blewane, Cesaire & Sathe, Antoine & Chapko, Michael & Bendje, Nicholas & Nguembi, Emmanuel & Senwara-Defiobonna, Jacques
- 999-1005 Do preventive health services reduce eventual demand for medical care?
by Nakanishi, Noriyuki & Tatara, Kozo & Fujiwara, Hitoshi
- 1007-1024 "I'm not dog, no!": Cries of resistance against cholera control campaigns
by Nations, Marilyn K. & Monte, Cristina M. G.
- 1025-1029 Socioeconomic status and severity of illness on admission in acute myocardial infarction patients
by Latour-Pérez, Jaime & Gutiérrez-Vicén, Teresa & Lópezcamps, Vicent & Bonastre-Mora, Juan & Giner-Boix, Jose Salvador & Rodríguez-Serra, Manuel & Rosado-Bretón, Luis
September 1996, Volume 43, Issue 5
- 575-575 Editorial
by McEwan, Peter J. M.
- 577-599 Beyond the orthodox: Heresy in medicine and the social sciences from a cross-cultural perspective
by Gürsoy, Akile
- 601-604 Medical heresy--The view of a heretic
by Stambolovic, Vuk
- 605-608 Causes of change in the health of populations: A biopsychosocial viewpoint
by Arnetz, Bengt B.
- 609-619 Child survival: Physical vulnerability and resilience in adversity in the European past and the contemporary Third World
by Caldwell, Pat
- 621-635 Child development: Vulnerability and resilience
by Engle, Patrice L. & Castle, Sarah & Menon, Purnima
- 637-654 Health system reforms--Toward a framework for international comparisons
by Twaddle, Andrew C.
- 655-666 Market-oriented health care reforms: Trends and future options
by van de ven, Wynand P. M. M.
- 667-680 Cultural problems of ageing especially regarding gender and intergenerational equity
by Henrard, J. C.
- 681-687 Cultural aspects of ageing: Gender and inter-generational issues
by Jefferys, Margot
- 689-695 Obstacles to community health promotion
by Guldan, Georgia S.
- 697-705 Empowering patients: Issues and strategies
by Anderson, Joan M.
- 707-720 Gender perspectives and quality of care: Towards appropriate and adequate health care for women
by van Wijk, Cecile M. T. Gijsbers & van Vliet, Katja P. & Kolk, Annemarie M.
- 721-730 Gender perspectives and quality of care in underdeveloped countries: Disease, gender and contextuality
by Zaidi, S. Akbar
- 731-737 Policy issues in the private health sector: Examples from long-term care in the U.K
by Bartlett, Helen P. & Phillips, David R.
- 739-744 Pooling public and private funds in the patient's interest: The case for long-term care insurance
by Launois, Robert
- 745-758 Disease ecology at a crossroads: Man-made environments, human rights and perpetual development utopias
by Pedersen, Duncan
- 759-768 Public health care provisions: Access and equity
by Muhamad Hanafiah Bin Juni
- 769-774 Responses of mental health professionals to man-made trauma: The Israeli experience
by Solomon, Zahava
- 775-782 Responsibilities and rights in the promotion of health: Differing positions of the individual and the state
by Bell, Nora Kizer
- 783-789 Health care: A social contract in transition
by Hill, T. Patrick
- 791-797 Health care reform and the labor market
by Durán-Arenas, Luis & López-Cervantes, Malaquías
- 799-808 The changing roles of health care personnel in health and health care management
by Hunter, David J.
- 809-822 The impact of globalization on the determination and management of ethical choices in the health arena
by Kalekin-Fishman, Devorah
- 823-835 Economic reform and health sector policy: Lessons from structural adjustment programs
by Peabody, John W.
- 837-848 Dava, Daktar, and Dua: Anthropology of practiced medicine in India
by Khare, R. S.
- 849-864 How religion influences morbidity and health: Reflections on natural history, salutogenesis and host resistance
by Levin, Jeffrey S.
- 865-872 Translating research findings into health policy
by Davis, Peter & Howden-Chapman, Philippa
- 873-886 Urban violence and health--South Africa 1995
by Gilbert, Leah
- 887-888 Urban violence: Health consequences and costs
by Oloruntimehin, O.
- 889-900 Small wars and invisible genocides
by Scheper-Hughes, Nancy
August 1996, Volume 43, Issue 4
- 429-439 Symptoms and perceived severity of illness as predictive of treatment for diarrhea in six Asian and African sites
by Yoder, P. Stanley & Hornik, Robert C.
- 441-451 Growth status of homeless Nepali boys: Do they differ from rural and urban controls?
by Panter-brick, C. & Todd, A. & Baker, R.
- 453-458 Height and weight as a reflection of the nutritional situation of school-aged children working and living in the streets of Jakarta
by Gross, Rainer & Landfried, Britta & Herman, Susilowati
- 459-471 Education and the use of maternal health care in Thailand
by Raghupathy, Shobana
- 473-477 Tobacco control in a traditional Fijian village: Indigenous methods of smoking cessation and relapse prevention
by Groth-Marnat, Gary & Leslie, Simon & Renneker, Mark
- 479-488 The influence of male care givers on child health in rural Haiti
by Devin, Robin B. & Erickson, Pamela I.
- 489-502 A study of the geographical distribution of suicide rates in England and Wales 1989-1992 using empirical Bayes estimates
by Saunderson, Thomas R. & Langford, Ian H.
- 503-515 Sedentism and child health among rendille pastoralists of Northern Kenya
by Nathan, Martha A. & Fratkin, Elliot M. & Roth, Eric Abella
- 517-524 Stress, satisfaction and militancy among Canadian physicians: A longitudinal investigation
by Burke, Ronald J.
- 525-535 Staff security and work pressure: Contrasting patterns of stability and change across five dialysis units
by Alleyne, Sylvan & Reiss, David & Leonard, Kimberly Jeffries & Turner-Musa, Jocelyn & Wagner, Barry & Simmens, Sam & Holder, Barbara & Kimmel, Paul L. & Kobrin, Sidney & Cruz, Illuminado
- 537-542 Occupational handicap-free life expectancy in Bulgaria 1976-1992 based on the data of the Medical Expert Commissions
by Mutafova, Margareta & Van de Water, Harry P. A. & Perenboom, Rom J. M. & Boshuizen, Hendriek C. & Maleshkov, Christo
- 543-553 The social organization of nutritional inequities
by Travers, Kim D.
- 555-563 Meanings of community
by Jewkes, Rachel & Murcott, Anne
August 1996, Volume 43, Issue 3
- 281-290 Seasonal variations of household costs of illness in Burkina Faso
by Sauerborn, R. & Nougtara, A. & Hien, M. & Diesfeld, H. J.
- 291-301 Household strategies to cope with the economic costs of illness
by Sauerborn, R. & Adams, A. & Hien, M.
- 303-314 Child protection or professional self-preservation by the baby nurses? Public health nurses and child protection in Ireland
by Butler, Shane
- 315-324 The simultaneous analysis of patient, physician and group practice influences on annual mammography performance
by Brown, Roger L. & Baumann, Linda J. & Helberg, Clay P. & Han, Youngshook & Fontana, Susan A. & Love, Richard R.
- 325-337 Transitions in cognitive status among the aged in Japan
by Liang, Jersey & Borawski-Clark, Elaine & Liu, Xian & Sugisawa, H.
- 339-352 AIDS, violence and behavioral coding: Information theory, risk behavior and dynamic process on core-group sociogeographic networks
by Wallace, Rodrick & Fullilove, Mindy Thompson & Flisher, Alan J.
- 353-366 Modelling space-time HIV/AIDS dynamics: Applications to disease control
by Thomas, Richard
- 367-377 Health lifestyle behaviour and socio-demographic characteristics. A study of Varna, Glasgow and Edinburgh
by Uitenbroek, Daan G. & Kerekovska, Albena & Festchieva, Nevijana
- 379-387 Mothers' lay models of the causes and treatment of fever
by Leiser, David & Doitsch, Eli & Meyer, Joachim
- 389-400 Addressing life style in primary health care
by Johanson, Marita & Larsson, Ullabeth Sätterlund & Säljö, Roger & Svärdsudd, Kurt
- 401-408 Promoting the organ donor card: A causal model of persuasion effects
by Skumanich, Stephanie A. & Kintsfather, David P.
- 409-419 The spiritual dimension of hospice: The secularization of an ideal
by Bradshaw, Ann
- 421-423 A reexamination of "sociological and economic theories of suicide: A comparison of the U.S.A. and Taiwan"
by Chuang, Hwei-Lin & Huang, Wei-Chiao
July 1996, Volume 43, Issue 2
- 133-148 Community participation in HIV prevention: Problems and prospects for community-based strategies among female sex workers in Madras
by Asthana, Sheena & Oostvogels, Robert
- 149-161 Consumer perceptions of health care quality and the utilization of non-conventional therapy
by Dunfield, J. Fraser
- 163-171 Couples' adjustment to one partner's disability: The relationship between sense of coherence and adjustment
by Rena, Feigin & Moshe, Sherer & Abraham, Ohry
- 173-186 The influence of budget-holding on cost containment and work procedures in primary care clinics
by Gross, Revital & Nirel, Nurit & Boussidan, Shlomo & Zmora, Irit & Elhayany, Asher & Regev, Sigal
- 187-197 Low birthweight in a public prenatal care program: Behavioral and psychosocial risk factors and psychosocial intervention
by Zimmer-Gembeck, Melanie J. & Helfand, Mark
- 199-207 Traditional birth attendants in Mexico: Advantages and inadequacies of care for normal deliveries
by Camey, Xochitl Castañeda & Barrios, Cecilia García & Guerrero, Xóchitl Romero & Nuñez-Urquiza, Rosa María & Hernández, Dolores Gonzalez & Glass, Ana Langer
- 209-219 Maternal and non-maternal time-allocation to infant care, and care during infant illness in rural Java, Indonesia
by Gryboski, Kristina L.
- 221-234 Measuring public hospital costs: Empirical evidence from the Dominican Republic
by Lewis, Maureen A. & La Forgia, Gerald M. & Sulvetta, Margaret B.
- 235-242 Filariasis in northern Ghana: Some cultural beliefs and practices and their implications for disease control
by Gyapong, Margaret & Gyapong, John O. & Adjei, Sam & Vlassoff, Carol & Weiss, Mitchell
- 243-254 Smoking prevalence among women in the European Community 1950-1990
by Graham, Hilary
- 255-263 Female circumcision in southern Chad: Origins, meaning, and current practice
by Leonard, Lori
- 265-271 Creating a psychosocial measurement model from stressful life events
by Sheehan, T. Joseph
July 1996, Volume 43, Issue 1
- 1-11 Processing the tort deterrent signal: A qualitative study
by Hupert, Nathaniel & Lawthers, Ann G. & Brennan, Troyen A. & Peterson, Lynn M.
- 13-21 The healing significance of the Negev's Bedouin Dervish
by Al-Krenawi, Alean & Graham, John R. & Maoz, Benjamin
- 23-28 Attitudes and beliefs within the Sikh community regarding organ donation: A pilot study
by Exley, Catherine & Sim, Julius & Reid, Norma & Jackson, Simon & West, Nick
- 29-40 Lay theories of heroin addiction
by Furnham, Adrian & Thomson, Louise
- 41-49 Predictors of sense of competence in caregivers of demented persons
by Vernooij-Dassen, Myrra J. F. J. & Persoon, Jean M. G. & Felling, Albert J. A.
- 51-61 Life changes, locus of control and metabolic syndrome precursors in adolescents and young adults: A three-year follow-up
by Ravaja, Niklas & Keltikangas-Järvinen, Liisa & Viikari, Jorma
- 63-70 Olfactory remediation: Current evidence and possible applications
by Martin, G. Neil
- 71-82 Integrated local health systems in Central America
by Barrett, Bruce
- 83-91 Race/ethnicity, the social environment, and health
by Lillie-Blanton, Marsha & Laveist, Thomas
- 93-99 Epidemiology and health policy--A world of difference? : A case-study of a cholera outbreak in Kaputa district, Zambia
by Van Bergen, J. E. A. M.
- 101-112 Geographical perspectives on bednet use and malaria transmission in the Gambia, West Africa
by Thomson, Madeleine & Connor, Stephen & Bennett, Steve & D'Alessandro, Umberto & Milligan, Paul & Aikins, Moses & Langerock, Patricia & Jawara, Musa & Greenwood, Brian
- 113-123 Marriage protection and marriage selection--Prospective evidence for reciprocal effects of marital status and health
by Waldron, Ingrid & Hughes, Mary Elizabeth & Brooks, Tracy L.
- 125-127 On the goals of medicine: A Chilean perspective
by Fernando, Lolas
June 1996, Volume 42, Issue 12
- 1-1 Genetics, reproductive technologies, euthanasia and the search for a new societal paradigm
by Somerville, Margaret A.
- 1609-1620 The 'limits' of medicalization?: Modern medicine and the lay populace in 'late' modernity
by Williams, Simon J. & Calnan, Michael
- 1621-1637 Gender, geography and socio-economic status in the diffusion of malignant melanoma risk
by Aase, Asbjørn & Bentham, Graham
- 1639-1650 Prospects, problems, and prerequisites for national health examination surveys in developing countries
by Fisher, Gail & Pappas, Gregory & Limb, Magdalena
- 1651-1659 Estimating the influence of health as a risk factor on unemployment: A survival analysis of employment durations for workers surveyed in the German Socio-Economic Panel (1984-1990)
by Arrow, J. O.
- 1661-1668 The costs and effectiveness of three vitamin A interventions in Guatemala
by Phillips, Margaret & Sanghvi, Tina & Suárez, Ruben & McKigney, John & Fiedler, John