Examining cost variation across hospital departments-a two-stage multi-level approach using patient-level data
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Cookson R & Laudicella M, 2009. "Do the poor still cost more? The relationship between small area income deprivation and length of stay for elective hip replacement in the English NHS from 2001/2 to 2006/7," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 09/07, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Peter C. Smith & Andrew Street, 2005. "Measuring the efficiency of public services: the limits of analysis," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 168(2), pages 401-417.
- Daniel Bilodeau & Pierre-Yves Crémieux & Pierre Ouellette, 2000. "Hospital Cost Function In A Non-Market Health Care System," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 489-498, August.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1985. "A Theory of Yardstick Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 319-327, Autumn.
- Mason, Anne & Street, Andrew & Miraldo, Marisa & Siciliani, Luigi, 2009. "Should prospective payments be differentiated for public and private healthcare providers?," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(04), pages 383-403, October.
- Street, Andrew & Maynard, Alan, 2007. "Activity based financing in England: the need for continual refinement of payment by results," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 419-427, October.
- Bruce Hollingsworth, 2008. "The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(10), pages 1107-1128.
- Antonio Giuffrida & Hugh Gravelle, 2001.
"Measuring performance in primary care: econometric analysis and DEA,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 163-175.
- Antonio Giuffrida & Hugh Gravelle, "undated". "Measuring Performance in Primary Care: Econometric Analysis and DEA," Discussion Papers 99/36, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Adriana Castelli & Mauro Laudicella & Andrew Street, 2008. "Measuring NHS Output Growth," Working Papers 043cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Jackson, Terri, 2001. "Using computerised patient-level costing data for setting DRG weights: the Victorian (Australia) cost weight studies," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 149-163, May.
- Hvenegaard, Anne & Street, Andrew & Sørensen, Torben Højmark & Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte, 2009. "Comparing hospital costs: What is gained by accounting for more than a case-mix index?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 640-647, August.
- Kim Rose Olsen & Andrew Street, 2008. "The analysis of efficiency among a small number of organisations: How inferences can be improved by exploiting patient-level data," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 671-681.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & Andrew Street, 2006. "The market for efficiency analysis of health care organisations," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(10), pages 1055-1059.
- Hung-jen Wang & Peter Schmidt, 2002.
"One-Step and Two-Step Estimation of the Effects of Exogenous Variables on Technical Efficiency Levels,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 129-144, September.
- Wang, Hung-jen & Schmidt, Peter, 2001. "One-step and two-step estimation of the effects of exogenous variables on technical efficiency levels," MPRA Paper 31075, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2002.
- Reinhard Busse & Jonas Schreyögg & Peter Smith, 2006. "Editorial: Hospital case payment systems in Europe," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-213, August.
- Lewis, Jeffrey B. & Linzer, Drew A., 2005. "Estimating Regression Models in Which the Dependent Variable Is Based on Estimates," Political Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 345-364, September.
- Peter Smith, 1997. "Model misspecification in Data Envelopment Analysis," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 73(0), pages 233-252, October.
- Jusko, Karen Long & Shively, W. Phillips, 2005. "Applying a Two-Step Strategy to the Analysis of Cross-National Public Opinion Data," Political Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 327-344, September.
- Nigel Rice & Andrew Jones, 1997. "Multilevel models and health economics," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(6), pages 561-575.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nils Gutacker & Chris Bojke & Silvio Daidone & Nancy J. Devlin & David Parkin & Andrew Street, 2013.
"Truly Inefficient Or Providing Better Quality Of Care? Analysing The Relationship Between Risk‐Adjusted Hospital Costs And Patients' Health Outcomes,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(8), pages 931-947, August.
- Nils Gutacker & Chris Bojke & Silvio Daidone & Nancy Devlin & David Parkin & Andrew Street, 2011. "Truly inefficient or providing better quality of care? Analysing the relationship between riskadjusted hospital costs and patients’ health outcomes," Working Papers 068cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Adrian Gheorghe & Tracy Roberts & Karla Hemming & Melanie Calvert, 2015. "Evaluating the Generalisability of Trial Results: Introducing a Centre- and Trial-Level Generalisability Index," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 33(11), pages 1195-1214, November.
- Daidone, Silvio & Street, Andrew, 2013. "How much should be paid for specialised treatment?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 84(C), pages 110-118.
- Carine Milcent, 2017. "Premier bilan de la T2A sur la variabilité des coûts hospitaliers," PSE Working Papers halshs-01649554, HAL.
- G. Fiorentini & S. Robone & R. Verzulli, 2016. "How do hospital-specialty characteristics influence health system responsiveness? An empirical evaluation of in-patient care in the Italian Region of Emilia-Romagna," Working Papers wp1077, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Thanassoulis, Emmanuel & Silva Portela, Maria C.A. & Graveney, Mike, 2014. "Using DEA to estimate potential savings at GP units at medical specialty level," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 38-48.
- Carine Milcent, 2014. "Coût des soins hospitaliers : effet de la concurrence par la qualité," PSE Working Papers halshs-01010327, HAL.
- Carine Milcent, 2015. "Tarification et variabilité des coûts hospitaliers : Le cas de l'infarctus du myocarde," Working Papers halshs-01202684, HAL.
- Kristensen, Troels & Rose Olsen, Kim & Sortsø, Camilla & Ejersted, Charlotte & Thomsen, Janus Laust & Halling, Anders, 2013. "Resources allocation and health care needs in diabetes care in Danish GP clinics," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 206-215.
- Johns, Benjamin & Steinhardt, Laura & Walker, Damian G. & Peters, David H. & Bishai, David, 2013. "Horizontal equity and efficiency at primary health care facilities in rural Afghanistan: A seemingly unrelated regression approach," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 25-31.
- J. Buckell & A. Smith & R. Longo & D. Holland, 2015. "Efficiency, heterogeneity and cost function analysis: empirical evidence from pathology services in the National Health Service in England," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(31), pages 3311-3331, July.
- Marie Kruse & Jan Christensen, 2013. "Is quality costly? Patient and hospital cost drivers in vascular surgery," Health Economics Review, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 1-13, December.
- Bache, Stefan Holst Milton & Kristensen, Troels, 2013. "A simple but efficient approach to the analysis of multilevel data," COHERE Working Paper 2013:6, University of Southern Denmark, COHERE - Centre of Health Economics Research.
- Carine Milcent, 2014. "Coût des soins hospitaliers : effet de la concurrence par la qualité," Working Papers halshs-01010327, HAL.
- James Gaughan & Anne Mason & Andrew Street & Padraic Ward, 2012. "English Hospitals Can Improve Their Use of Resources: An Analysis of Costs and Length of Stay for Ten Treatments," Working Papers 078cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Troels Kristensen & Kim Olsen & Henrik Schroll & Janus Thomsen & Anders Halling, 2014. "Association between fee-for-service expenditures and morbidity burden in primary care," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 15(6), pages 599-610, July.
- Carine Milcent, 2015. "Tarification et variabilité des coûts hospitaliers : Le cas de l'infarctus du myocarde," PSE Working Papers halshs-01202684, HAL.
- Johannessen, Karl Arne & Kittelsen, Sverre A.C. & Hagen, Terje P., 2017. "Assessing physician productivity following Norwegian hospital reform: A panel and data envelopment analysis," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 175(C), pages 117-126.
- John Buckell & Andrew Smith & Roberta Longo & David Holland, 2013. "Health inefficiency and unobservable heterogeneity - empirical evidence from pathology services in the UK National Health Service," Working Papers 1307, Academic Unit of Health Economics, Leeds Institute of Health Sciences, University of Leeds.
- Thanassoulis, Emmanuel & Silva Portela, Maria & Graveney, Mike, 2016. "Identifying the scope for savings at inpatient episode level: An illustration applying DEA to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 255(2), pages 570-582.
- Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte & Olsen, Kim R. & Sørensen, Torben H., 2012. "Socio-demographic patient profiles and hospital efficiency: Does patient mix affect a hospital's ability to perform?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 136-145.
More about this item
KeywordsUK Hospital efficiency Multi-level modelling Prospective payment Obstetrics Hospital costs;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:71:y:2010:i:10:p:1872-1881. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.