Truly Inefficient Or Providing Better Quality Of Care? Analysing The Relationship Between Risk‐Adjusted Hospital Costs And Patients' Health Outcomes
Download full text from publisherTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Other versions of this item:
- Nils Gutacker & Chris Bojke & Silvio Daidone & Nancy Devlin & David Parkin & Andrew Street, 2011. "Truly inefficient or providing better quality of care? Analysing the relationship between riskadjusted hospital costs and patients’ health outcomes," Working Papers 068cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
References listed on IDEAS
- Chalkley, Martin & Malcomson, James M., 1998.
"Contracting for health services when patient demand does not reflect quality,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Chalkley, M. & Malcomson, J.M., 1995. "Contracting for health services when patient demand does not reflect quality," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9514, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Laudicella, Mauro & Olsen, Kim Rose & Street, Andrew, 2010. "Examining cost variation across hospital departments-a two-stage multi-level approach using patient-level data," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 71(10), pages 1872-1881, November.
- Lewis, Jeffrey B. & Linzer, Drew A., 2005. "Estimating Regression Models in Which the Dependent Variable Is Based on Estimates," Political Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 345-364, September.
- Anders Skrondal & Sophia Rabe-Hesketh, 2009. "Prediction in multilevel generalized linear models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 172(3), pages 659-687.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5426 is not listed on IDEAS
- Keeler, Emmett B., 1990. "What proportion of hospital cost differences is justifiable?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 359-365, November.
- Adriana Castelli & Mauro Laudicella & Andrew Street, 2008. "Measuring NHS Output Growth," Working Papers 043cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Silvio Daidone & Francesco D’Amico, 2009.
"Technical efficiency, specialization and ownership form: evidences from a pooling of Italian hospitals,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 203-216, December.
- Silvio Daidone & Francesco D'Amico, 2009. "Technical Efficiency, Specialization and Ownership Form: Evidences from a Pooling of Italian Hospitals," CEIS Research Paper 143, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 30 Sep 2009.
- W. David Bradford & Andrew N. Kleit & Marie A. Krousel-Wood & Richard N. Re, 2001. "Stochastic Frontier Estimation Of Cost Models Within The Hospital," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 302-309, May.
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 1994. "Frontier estimation: How useful a tool for health economics?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-322, October.
- Bruce Hollingsworth, 2008. "The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(10), pages 1107-1128.
- Brigitte Dormont & Carine Milcent, 2004. "The sources of hospital cost variability," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(10), pages 927-939.
- Anne Hvenegaard & Jacob Arendt & Andrew Street & Dorte Gyrd-Hansen, 2011.
"Exploring the relationship between costs and quality: Does the joint evaluation of costs and quality alter the ranking of Danish hospital departments?,"
The European Journal of Health Economics,
Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 12(6), pages 541-551, December.
- Anne, Hvenegaard & Nielsen Arendt, Jacob & Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte & Street, Andrew, 2010. "Exploring the relationship between costs and quality - Does the joint evaluation of costs and quality alter the ranking of Danish hospital departments?," COHERE Working Paper 2009:6, University of Southern Denmark, COHERE - Centre of Health Economics Research.
- Silvio Daidone & Andrew Street, 2011. "Estimating the costs of specialised care," Working Papers 061cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Nigel Rice & Andrew Jones, 1997. "Multilevel models and health economics," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(6), pages 561-575.
- Jacobs,Rowena & Smith,Peter C. & Street,Andrew, 2006. "Measuring Efficiency in Health Care," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521851442, March.
- Skinner, Jonathan, 1994. "What do stochastic frontier cost functions tell us about inefficiency?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 323-328, October.
- Kim Rose Olsen & Andrew Street, 2008. "The analysis of efficiency among a small number of organisations: How inferences can be improved by exploiting patient-level data," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 671-681.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Laura Di Giorgio & Massimo Filippini & Giuliano Masiero, 2014. "The relationship between costs and quality in nonprofit nursing homes," IdEP Economic Papers 1402, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- repec:eee:hepoli:v:121:y:2017:i:12:p:1225-1232 is not listed on IDEAS
- Adrian Gheorghe & Tracy Roberts & Karla Hemming & Melanie Calvert, 2015. "Evaluating the Generalisability of Trial Results: Introducing a Centre- and Trial-Level Generalisability Index," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 33(11), pages 1195-1214, November.
- J. Buckell & A. Smith & R. Longo & D. Holland, 2015. "Efficiency, heterogeneity and cost function analysis: empirical evidence from pathology services in the National Health Service in England," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(31), pages 3311-3331, July.
- repec:sls:ipmsls:v:32:y:2017:10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Häkkinen, Unto & Rosenqvist, Gunnar & Peltola, Mikko & Kapiainen, Satu & Rättö, Hanna & Cots, Francesc & Geissler, Alexander & Or, Zeynep & Serdén, Lisbeth & Sund, Reijo, 2014. "Quality, cost, and their trade-off in treating AMI and stroke patients in European hospitals," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 15-27.
- John Buckell & Andrew Smith & Roberta Longo & David Holland, 2013. "Health inefficiency and unobservable heterogeneity - empirical evidence from pathology services in the UK National Health Service," Working Papers 1307, Academic Unit of Health Economics, Leeds Institute of Health Sciences, University of Leeds.
- Francesco Longo & Luigi Siciliani & Andrew Street, 2015. "Are costs differences between specialist and general hospitals compensated by the prospective payment system?," Discussion Papers 15/30, Department of Economics, University of York.
- L. Di Giorgio & M. Filippini & G. Masiero, 2016. "Is higher nursing home quality more costly?," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 17(8), pages 1011-1026, November.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:22:y:2013:i:8:p:931-947. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum). General contact details of provider: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749 .