The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery
The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health service delivery has become a small industry. This is a review of 317 published papers on frontier efficiency measurement. The techniques used are mainly based on non-parametric data envelopment analysis, but there is increasing use of parametric techniques, such as stochastic frontier analysis. Applications to hospitals and other health care organizations and areas are reviewed and summarised, and some meta-type analysis undertaken. Cautious conclusions are that public provision may be potentially more efficient than private, in certain settings. The paper also considers conceptualizations of efficiency, and points to dangers and opportunities in generating such information. Finally, some criteria for assessing the use and usefulness of efficiency studies are established, with a view to helping both researchers and those assessing whether or not to act upon published results. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gannon, Brenda, 2005.
"Testing for Variation in Technical Efficiency of Hospitals in Ireland,"
HRBWP20, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Brenda Gannon, 2005. "Testing for Variation in Technical Efficiency of Hospitals in Ireland," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 36(3), pages 273-294.
- Grosskopf, Shawna & Margaritis, Dimitri & Valdmanis, Vivian, 2004. "Competitive effects on teaching hospitals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 515-525, April.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & P.J. Dawson & N. Maniadakis, 1999. "Efficiency measurement of health care: a review of non‐parametric methods and applications," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 161-172, July.
- Vinish Kathuria & Deepa Sankar, 2005. "Inter-State Disparities in Health Outcomes in Rural India: An Analysis Using a Stochastic Production Frontier Approach," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 23(2), pages 145-163, 03.
- Juan Ventura & Eduardo GonzáLez & Ana Cárcaba, 2004. "Efficiency and Program-Contract Bargaining in Spanish Public Hospitals," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(4), pages 549-573, December.
- Anthony J. Culyer, 2006. "The bogus conflict between efficiency and vertical equity," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(11), pages 1155-1158.
- Benoit Dervaux & Gary Ferrier & Herve Leleu & Vivian Valdmanis, 2004. "Comparing French and US hospital technologies: a directional input distance function approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(10), pages 1065-1081.
- Juha Laine & Miika Linna & Unto Häkkinen & Anja Noro, 2005. "Measuring the productive efficiency and clinical quality of institutional long-term care for the elderly," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 245-256.
- Butler, Timothy W. & Li, Ling, 2005. "The utility of returns to scale in DEA programming: An analysis of Michigan rural hospitals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 469-477, March.
- Carol Propper & Deborah Wilson, 2006.
"The Use of Performance Measures in Health Care Systems,"
in: The Elgar Companion to Health Economics, chapter 31
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Carol Propper & Deborah Wilson, 2012. "The Use of Performance Measures in Health Care Systems," Chapters, in: The Elgar Companion to Health Economics, Second Edition, chapter 33 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Matthias Staat, 2003. "The efficiency of treatment strategies of general practitioners," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 4(3), pages 232-238, September.
- Wagner, Janet M. & Shimshak, Daniel G. & Novak, Michael A., 2003. "Advances in physician profiling: the use of DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 141-163, June.
- P.C. Smith, 2002. "Measuring health system performance," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 3(3), pages 145-148, September.
- Gary Ferrier & Michael Rosko & Vivian Valdmanis, 2006. "Analysis of uncompensated hospital care using a DEA model of output congestion," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 181-188, May.
- Chen, Andrew & Hwang, Yuhchang & Shao, Benjamin, 2005. "Measurement and sources of overall and input inefficiencies: Evidences and implications in hospital services," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 447-468, March.
- Kontodimopoulos, Nick & Niakas, Dimitris, 2005. "Efficiency measurement of hemodialysis units in Greece with data envelopment analysis," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 195-204, February.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2004. "An Empirical Analysis of Cost Efficiency in Non-profit and Public Nursing Homes," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(3), pages 339-365, 09.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2005. "Non-parametric approaches to education and health efficiency in OECD countries," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 8, pages 227-246, November.
- Jos Blank & Vivian Valdmanis, 2005. "A modified three-stage data envelopment analysis," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 6(1), pages 65-72, March.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & Andrew Street, 2006. "The market for efficiency analysis of health care organisations," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(10), pages 1055-1059.
- Maniadakis, Nikolaos & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2004. "A cost Malmquist productivity index," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 396-409, April.
- Suthathip Yaisawarng & James F. Burgess, 2006. "Performance-based budgeting in the public sector: an illustration from the VA health care system," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 295-310.
- Pestieau, P. & Tulkens, H., 1990. "Assessing the performance of the public sector activities: some recent evidence from the productive efficiency viewpoint," CORE Discussion Papers 1990060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:17:y:2008:i:10:p:1107-1128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.