Assessment of regional productive performance of European health systems under a metatechnology framework
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2009.
"Economic transition and growth,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(7), pages 1153-1185, November.
- Cheng, Gang & Zervopoulos, Panagiotis D., 2014. "Estimating the technical efficiency of health care systems: A cross-country comparison using the directional distance function," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 238(3), pages 899-910.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2007.
"Transition Modeling and Econometric Convergence Tests,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(6), pages 1771-1855, November.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2007. "Transition Modeling and Econometric Convergence Tests," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1595, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Böhm, Katharina & Schmid, Achim & Götze, Ralf & Landwehr, Claudia & Rothgang, Heinz, 2012. "Classifying OECD healthcare systems: A deductive approach," TranState Working Papers 165, University of Bremen, Collaborative Research Center 597: Transformations of the State.
- Mallick, Sushanta & Matousek, Roman & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2016. "Financial development and productive inefficiency: A robust conditional directional distance function approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 145(C), pages 196-201.
- Mayer, Andreas & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2014.
"Aggregation of Malmquist productivity indexes allowing for reallocation of resources,"
European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 238(3), pages 774-785.
- Valentin Zelenyuk & Andreas Mayer, 2013. "Aggregation of Malmquist productivity indexes allowing for reallocation of resources," CEPA Working Papers Series WP062013, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Rothgang, Heinz & Cacace, Mirella & Grimmeisen, Simone & Wendt, Claus, 2005. "9 The changing role of the state in healthcare systems," European Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(S1), pages 187-212, March.
- Gary Ferrier & Michael Rosko & Vivian Valdmanis, 2006. "Analysis of uncompensated hospital care using a DEA model of output congestion," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 181-188, May.
- William Greene, 2004.
"Distinguishing between heterogeneity and inefficiency: stochastic frontier analysis of the World Health Organization's panel data on national health care systems,"
Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(10), pages 959-980, October.
- William Greene, 2003. "Distinguishing Between Heterogeneity and Inefficiency: Stochastic Frontier Analysis of the World Health Organization’s Panel Data on National Health Care Systems," Working Papers 03-10, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- João Medeiros & Christoph Schwierz, 2015. "Efficiency estimates of health care systems," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 549, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Kumar, Surender, 2006. "Environmentally sensitive productivity growth: A global analysis using Malmquist-Luenberger index," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 280-293, February.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier X., 1996.
"Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence,"
European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1325-1352, June.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1994. "Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence," Economics Working Papers 104, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Sala-i-Martin, X., 1994. "Regional Cohesion: Evidence and the Theories of Regional Growth and Convergence," Papers 716, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1994. "Regional Cohesion: Evidence and Theories of Regional Growth and Convergence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1075, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Barro, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-443.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Barro, 1989. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Afonso, Antonio & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2005.
"Non-Parametric Approaches to Education and Health Efficiency in OECD Countries,"
Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 8(2), pages 1-20, November.
- AntÃ³nio Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2005. "Non-parametric approaches to education and health efficiency in OECD countries," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 8, pages 227-246, November.
- O'Neill, Liam & Rauner, Marion & Heidenberger, Kurt & Kraus, Markus, 2008. "A cross-national comparison and taxonomy of DEA-based hospital efficiency studies," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 158-189, September.
- Quah, D., 1990.
"Galton'S Fallacy And The Tests Of The Convergence Hypothesis,"
552, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Quah, Danny, 1993. "Galton's Fallacy and Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis," CEPR Discussion Papers 820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Carree & Luuk Klomp, 1997. "Testing The Convergence Hypothesis: A Comment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 683-686, November.
- Tsekouras, Kostas & Chatzistamoulou, Nikos & Kounetas, Kostas & Broadstock, David C., 2016. "Spillovers, path dependence and the productive performance of European transportation sectors in the presence of technology heterogeneity," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 261-274.
- Osman Zaim & Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 2001. "An Economic Approach to Achievement and Improvement Indexes," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 56(1), pages 91-118, October.
- Kontolaimou, Alexandra & Giotopoulos, Ioannis & Tsakanikas, Aggelos, 2016. "A typology of European countries based on innovation efficiency and technology gaps: The role of early-stage entrepreneurship," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 52(PB), pages 477-484.
- Bruce Hollingsworth, 2008. "The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(10), pages 1107-1128, October.
- George Battese & D. Rao & Christopher O'Donnell, 2004. "A Metafrontier Production Function for Estimation of Technical Efficiencies and Technology Gaps for Firms Operating Under Different Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 91-103, January.
- Casu, Barbara & Ferrari, Alessandra & Girardone, Claudia & Wilson, John O.S., 2016.
"Integration, productivity and technological spillovers: Evidence for eurozone banking industries,"
European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 255(3), pages 971-983.
- Barbara Casu & Alessandra Ferrari & Claudia Girardone & John O.S. Wilson, 2014. "Integration, Productivity and Technological Spillovers: Evidence for Eurozone Banking Industries," Economics Discussion Papers em-dp2014-01, Department of Economics, Reading University.
- Tsekouras, Kostas & Chatzistamoulou, Nikos & Kounetas, Kostas, 2017. "Productive performance, technology heterogeneity and hierarchies: Who to compare with whom," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 193(C), pages 465-478.
- Halkos, George Emm. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2011.
"Modelling the effect of national culture on multinational banks' performance: A conditional robust nonparametric frontier analysis,"
Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 515-525, January.
- Halkos, George Emm. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2011. "Modelling the effect of national culture on multinational banks' performance: A conditional robust nonparametric frontier analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 515-525.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf & Dimitri Margaritis, 2006. "Productivity Growth and Convergence in the European Union," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 111-141, April.
- Isabelle Joumard & Christophe André & Chantal Nicq, 2010. "Health Care Systems: Efficiency and Institutions," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 769, OECD Publishing.
- Dervaux, B. & Leleu, H. & Minvielle, E. & Valdmanis, V. & Aegerter, P. & Guidet, B., 2009. "Performance of French intensive care units: A directional distance function approach at the patient level," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 585-594, August.
- S. Grosskopf & S. Self & O. Zaim, 2006. "Estimating the efficiency of the system of healthcare financing in achieving better health," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(13), pages 1477-1488.
- Marmor, Theodore & Wendt, Claus, 2012. "Conceptual frameworks for comparing healthcare politics and policy," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 11-20.
- Picazo-Tadeo, Andres J. & Reig-Martinez, Ernest & Hernandez-Sancho, Francesc, 2005. "Directional distance functions and environmental regulation," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 131-142, June.
- Bart Los & Bart Verspagen, 2006.
"The Evolution Of Productivity Gaps And Specialization Patterns,"
Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(4), pages 464-493, November.
- Los, Bart & Verspagen, Bart, 2002. "The evolution of productivity gaps and specialization patterns," CCSO Working Papers 200301, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Barbara Casu & Alessandra Ferrari & Tianshu Zhao, 2013. "Regulatory Reform and Productivity Change in Indian Banking," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 95(3), pages 1066-1077, July.
- Böhm, Katharina & Schmid, Achim & Götze, Ralf & Landwehr, Claudia & Rothgang, Heinz, 2013. "Five types of OECD healthcare systems: Empirical results of a deductive classification," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 113(3), pages 258-269.
- Fulvio Castellacci, 2007.
"Technological regimes and sectoral differences in productivity growth ,"
Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(6), pages 1105-1145, December.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2007. "Technological regimes and sectoral differences in productivity growth," MPRA Paper 27598, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D.S. Prasada Rao & Christopher J. O'Donnell & George E. Battese, 2003. "Metafrontier Functions for the Study of Inter-regional Productivity Differences," CEPA Working Papers Series WP012003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Mariam Camarero & Juana Castillo & Andrés Picazo-Tadeo & Cecilio Tamarit, 2013. "Eco-Efficiency and Convergence in OECD Countries," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 55(1), pages 87-106, May.
- Julie Knoll Rajaratnam & Linda N Tran & Alan D Lopez & Christopher J L Murray, 2010. "Measuring Under-Five Mortality: Validation of New Low-Cost Methods," PLOS Medicine, Public Library of Science, vol. 7(4), pages 1-24, April.
- Grossman, Michael, 2000. "The human capital model," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.),Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 347-408, Elsevier.
- Antonio Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2010.
"Public sector efficiency: evidence for new EU member states and emerging markets,"
Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(17), pages 2147-2164.
- Schuknecht, Ludger & Tanzi, Vito & Afonso, António, 2006. "Public sector efficiency: evidence for new EU member states and emerging markets," Working Paper Series 581, European Central Bank.
- António Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2006. "Public Sector Efficiency: Evidence for New EU Member States and Emerging Markets," Working Papers Department of Economics 2006/01, ISEG - Lisbon School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, Universidade de Lisboa.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & Andrew Street, 2006. "The market for efficiency analysis of health care organisations," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(10), pages 1055-1059, October.
- Fulvio Castellacci, 2011. "Closing the Technology Gap?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 180-197, February.
- Drine, Imed, 2012.
"Institutions, governance and technology catch-up in North Africa,"
Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2155-2162.
- Imed Drine, 2011. "Institutions, Governance and Technology catch-up in North Africa," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1017, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Panagiotis Mitropoulos & Kostas Kounetas & Ioannis Mitropoulos, 2016. "Factors affecting primary health care centers’ economic and production efficiency," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 247(2), pages 807-822, December.
- Kontolaimou, Alexandra & Kounetas, Konstantinos & Mourtos, Ioannis & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2012. "Technology gaps in European banking: Put the blame on inputs or outputs?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1798-1808.
- Kounetas, Kostas & Napolitano, Oreste, 2018. "Modeling the incidence of international trade on Italian regional productive efficiency using a meta-frontier DEA approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 71(C), pages 45-58.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 2000. "Theory and Application of Directional Distance Functions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 93-103, March.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Kounetas, Konstantinos & Zervopoulos, Panagiotis D., 2019. "A cross-country evaluation of environmental performance: Is there a convergence-divergence pattern in technology gaps?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 273(3), pages 1136-1148.
- Christopher O’Donnell & D. Rao & George Battese, 2008. "Metafrontier frameworks for the study of firm-level efficiencies and technology ratios," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 231-255, March.
- Yujiro Hayami, 1969.
"Resource Endowments and Technological Change in Agriculture: U.S. and Japanese Experiences in International Perspective,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1293-1303.
- Hayami, Yujiro, 1969. "Resource Endowments And Technological Change In Agriculture: U.S. And Japanese Experiences In International Perspective," Staff Papers 13762, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Chowdhury, Hedayet & Zelenyuk, Valentin & Laporte, Audrey & Wodchis, Walter P., 2014. "Analysis of productivity, efficiency and technological changes in hospital services in Ontario: How does case-mix matter?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 150(C), pages 74-82.
- B. Dervaux & H. Leleu & E. Minvielle & V. Valdmanis & P. Aegerter & B. Guidet, 2009. "Assessing Performance of French Intensive Care Units: A Directional Distance Function Approach at the Patient Level," Post-Print halshs-00476492, HAL.
- Gulati, Rachita & Kumar, Sunil, 2016. "Assessing the impact of the global financial crisis on the profit efficiency of Indian banks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 167-181.
- Kounetas, Konstantinos & Mourtos, Ioannis & Tsekouras, Konstantinos, 2009. "Efficiency decompositions for heterogeneous technologies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(1), pages 209-218, November.
- R. G. Chambers & Y. Chung & R. Färe, 1998. "Profit, Directional Distance Functions, and Nerlovian Efficiency," Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Springer, vol. 98(2), pages 351-364, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nikolaos, Chatzistamoulou & Theodoros, Antonakis & Konstantinos, Kounetas, 2020. "Salary cap and National Basketball Association teams' productive performance. A two stage Data Envelopment Analysis approach under a metatechnology framework," MPRA Paper 98811, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
KeywordsEuropean regions; Health system; Directional distance function; Metafrontier; Technological spillover;
- O33 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:84:y:2020:i:c:p:234-248. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.