Aggregation of Malmquist productivity indexes allowing for reallocation of resources
In this paper we consider aggregate (group) Malmquist productivity index measures which allow inputs to be reallocated within the group (when in output orientation). This merges the single period aggregation results allowing input reallocation of Nesterenko and Zelenyuk (2007) with the aggregate Malmquist productivity index results of Zelenyuk (2006) to determine aggregate Malmquist productivity indexes that are justified by economic theory, consistent with previous aggregation results, and which maintain analogous decompositions over time to the original measures. Such measures are of direct relevance to firms or countries who have merged (making input reallocation possible), allowing them to measure potential productivity gains and how these have been realised (or not) over time.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 7 3365 6570
Fax: +61 7 3365 7299
Web page: http://www.uq.edu.au/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare, Rolf & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2007. "Extending Fare and Zelenyuk (2003)," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(2), pages 594-595, June.
- Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2006.
"Aggregation of Malmquist productivity indexes,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 1076-1086, October.
- Daskovska, Alexandra & Simar, Léopold & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2009.
"Forecasting the Malmquist Productivity Index,"
IDEI Working Papers
634, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Vladimir Nesterenko & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2007. "Measuring potential gains from reallocation of resources," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 107-116, October.
- Fare, Rolf & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2003. "On aggregate Farrell efficiencies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 615-620, May.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2011. "Inference by the m out of n bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 33-53, August.
- Forsund, Finn R & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1979.
"Generalised Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(354), pages 294-315, June.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1978. "Generalized Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Working Paper Series 17, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1996.
"Estimating and bootstrapping malmquist indices,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1996060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2007. "Statistical inference for aggregates of Farrell-type efficiencies," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1367-1394.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qld:uqcepa:89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SOE IT)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.