A generalisation of the Farrell cost efficiency measure applicable to non-fully competitive settings
This paper enhances cost efficiency measurement methods to account for situations where the input prices can depend on negotiation or tend to qualitatively differentiate the resources available at each decision making unit. In these circumstances, there are some shortcomings in the cost efficiency measure described in the data envelopment analysis (DEA) literature. This paper proposes new models and measures for cost efficiency evaluation that overcome the limitations of the existing DEA models. The applicability of the measures developed is illustrated in the context of the analysis of bank branch performance.
Volume (Year): 36 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dyson, R. G. & Allen, R. & Camanho, A. S. & Podinovski, V. V. & Sarrico, C. S. & Shale, E. A., 2001. "Pitfalls and protocols in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 245-259, July.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Thrall, R. M., 1992. "Estimation of returns to scale using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 74-84, October.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Camanho, A. S. & Dyson, R. G., 2005. "Cost efficiency measurement with price uncertainty: a DEA application to bank branch assessments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 432-446, March.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:36:y:2008:i:1:p:147-162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.