Measurement of efficiency of the dialysis sector in Turkey using data envelopment analysis
Objectives Limited prior work exists on the efficiency of the dialysis sector characterized by steady increase in the dialysis population, providers, and dialysis expenditures in Turkey. The study aimed to examine technical efficiency among producers of dialysis treatment in Turkey.Methods Cross-sectional data were used from the 2008 Turkish Statistical Yearbook of Dialysis for total 830 dialysis facilities. Efficiency was measured using data envelopment analysis technique.Results Results drawn from an input-oriented variable-returns-to-scale model showed technical efficiency from only 3% of facilities, as well as 50% reduction in inputs. Mean efficiency score was found higher among facilities that were freestanding, private, affiliated with international chains, older, and located in Istanbul.Conclusion Efficiency enhancement in dialysis production in Turkey should be placed on the priority agenda, along with careful evaluation of impact of the already-inserted changes on efficiency.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grosskopf, Shawna & Margaritis, Dimitri & Valdmanis, Vivian, 2004. "Competitive effects on teaching hospitals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 515-525, April.
- Kooreman, Peter, 1994. "Data envelopment analysis and parametric frontier estimation: complementary tools," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 345-346, October.
- Ozgen, Hacer, 2006. "Does chain affiliation make a difference in efficiency of dialysis providers in the USA," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(9), pages 2112-2124, May.
- Held, Philip J. & Pauly, Mark V., 1983. "Competition and efficiency in the end stage renal disease program," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 95-118, August.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & Andrew Street, 2006. "The market for efficiency analysis of health care organisations," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(10), pages 1055-1059.
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 1994. "Frontier estimation: How useful a tool for health economics?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-322, October.
- Linna, Miika & Hakkinen, Unto & Magnussen, Jon, 2006. "Comparing hospital cost efficiency between Norway and Finland," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 268-278, August.
- Kontodimopoulos, Nick & Niakas, Dimitris, 2005. "Efficiency measurement of hemodialysis units in Greece with data envelopment analysis," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 195-204, February.
- Grosskopf, S. & Valdmanis, V., 1987. "Measuring hospital performance : A non-parametric approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 89-107, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:hepoli:v:95:y:2010:i:2-3:p:185-193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)or ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.