Health Care Services Performance Measurement: Theory, Methods and Empirical Evidence
Despite the growing international literature in the field of efficiency and productivity measurement there are very limited Greek applications partly due to inadequate and incomplete datasets. The aim of this article is to illustrate the main methodologies for health care services efficiency and productivity measurement, to present their strengths and weaknesses and to discuss the existing evidence from applications in other countries. Notwithstanding the fact that the related methodologies have been recently developed these methods may help practitioners and health care decisions makers in improving health care management in Greece.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmidt, Peter, 1976. "On the Statistical Estimation of Parametric Frontier Production Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(2), pages 238-39, May.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & P.J. Dawson & N. Maniadakis, 1999. "Efficiency measurement of health care: a review of non‐parametric methods and applications," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 161-172, July.
- Waldman, Donald M., 1982. "A stationary point for the stochastic frontier likelihood," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 275-279, February.
- Tulkens, Henry & Vanden Eeckaut, Philippe, 1995.
"Non-parametric efficiency, progress and regress measures for panel data: Methodological aspects,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 474-499, February.
- Tulkens, H. & Vanden Eeckaut, P., . "Non-parametric efficiency, progress and regress measures for panel data: Methodological aspects," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1132, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- TULKENS, Henry & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1993. "Non-Parametric Efficiency, Progress and Regress Measures for Panel Data : Methodological Aspects," CORE Discussion Papers 1993016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Maindiratta, Ajay, 1990. "Largest size-efficient scale and size efficiencies of decision-making units in data envelopment analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 57-72.
- Dor, Avi, 1994. "Non-minimum cost functions and the stochastic frontier: On applications to health care providers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 329-334, October.
- Nyman, John A & Bricker, Dennis L, 1989. "Profit Incentives and Technical Efficiency in the Production of Nursing Home Care," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 586-94, November.
- Forsund, Finn R & Jansen, Eilev S, 1977. "On Estimating Average and Best Practice Homothetic Production Functions via Cost Functions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 463-76, June.
- Valdmanis, Vivian, 1992. "Sensitivity analysis for DEA models : An empirical example using public vs. NFP hospitals," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 185-205, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Kooreman, Peter, 1994. "Nursing home care in The Netherlands: a nonparametric efficiency analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 301-316, October.
- David Parkin & Bruce Hollingsworth, 1997. "Measuring production efficiency of acute hospitals in Scotland, 1991-94: validity issues in data envelopment analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(11), pages 1425-1433.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Robert F. Conrad & Robert P. Strauss, 1986. "A Comparative Application of Data Envelopment Analysis and Translog Methods: An Illustrative Study of Hospital Production," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(1), pages 30-44, January.
- Morey, RC & Fine, DJ & Loree, SW, 1990. "Comparing the allocative efficiencies of hospitals," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 71-83.
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 1994. "Frontier estimation: How useful a tool for health economics?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-322, October.
- Vitaliano, Donald F. & Toren, Mark, 1994. "Cost and efficiency in nursing homes: a stochastic frontier approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 281-300, October.
- Zuckerman, Stephen & Hadley, Jack & Iezzoni, Lisa, 1994. "Measuring hospital efficiency with frontier cost functions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 255-280, October.
- Chilingerian, Jon A., 1995. "Evaluating physician efficiency in hospitals: A multivariate analysis of best practices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 548-574, February.
- James F. Burgess, Jr. & Paul W. Wilson, 1996. "Hospital Ownership and Technical Inefficiency," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(1), pages 110-123, January.
- Nikolaos Maniadakis & Emmanuel Thanassoulis, 2000. "Assessing productivity changes in UK hospitals reflecting technology and input prices," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(12), pages 1575-1589.
- Grosskopf, S. & Valdmanis, V., 1987. "Measuring hospital performance : A non-parametric approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 89-107, June.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-98, October.
- R. G. Evans, 1971. "'Behavioural' Cost Functions for Hospitals," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 4(2), pages 198-215, May.
- Thanassoulis, E. & Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G., 1995. "Exploring output quality targets in the provision of perinatal care in England using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 588-607, February.
- Kleinsorge, Ilene K. & Karney, Dennis F., 1992. "Management of nursing homes using data envelopment analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 57-71, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ers:journl:v:xii:y:2009:i:3:p:151-170. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giorgos Zachopoulos)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.