Concurrence, prix et qualité de la prise en charge en EHPAD en France : Analyses micro-économétriques
High prices and insufficient quality of care are observed in nursing homes in France. Reforms are currently under discussion, but governments are facing a dilemma : any measure of price cut is likely to affect quality and any improvement in quality would probably be inflationary. This work analyzes if this dilemma can be solved by focusing more particularly on the potential effect of real and yardstick competition that could be introduced in this long term care sector. Using a micro-econometric framework, we organize this analysis into three research issues : (i) What might be expected from the pricing reform and the increase in the number of beds in nursing homes currently proposed ? (ii) How the development of for-profit nursing homes could reduce prices and improve quality ? (iii) Are there local difficulties responsible for the poor quality of nursing homes ? Several implications for public policy may be involved. Using cost frontier estimates, we demonstrate that the reform plans would reduce inefficiency and nursing home prices, but at the expense of their quality. The rise of for-profit nursing homes leads to high prices and a deterioration of the quality of care which could be tempered however by a more competitive market structure. Nursing homes face local difficulties in nursing staff retention, affecting their quality and which do not seem to be solved by adjusting wages.
|This book is provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/13712 and published in 2014.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/en/welcome.html|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaynor, Martin, 2007. "Competition and Quality in Health Care Markets," Foundations and Trends(R) in Microeconomics, now publishers, vol. 2(6), pages 441-508, February.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10722 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eric Delattre & Jean-Baptiste Combès & Bob Elliott & Diane Skatun, 2012.
"Hospital Staffing and Local Pay: an Investigation into the Impact of Local variations in the Competitiveness of Nurses Pay on the Staffing of Hospitals in France,"
THEMA Working Papers
2012-35, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Jean-Baptiste Combes & Eric Delattre & Bob Elliott & Diane Skåtun, 2015. "Hospital staffing and local pay: an investigation into the impact of local variations in the competitiveness of nurses’ pay on the staffing of hospitals in France," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 16(7), pages 763-780, September.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/13781 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2004. "An Empirical Analysis of Cost Efficiency in Non-profit and Public Nursing Homes," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(3), pages 339-365, 09.
- Grabowski, David C. & Feng, Zhanlian & Hirth, Richard & Rahman, Momotazur & Mor, Vincent, 2013. "Effect of nursing home ownership on the quality of post-acute care: An instrumental variables approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 12-21.
- Dranove, David & Satterthwaite, Mark A., 2000. "The industrial organization of health care markets," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 20, pages 1093-1139 Elsevier.
- Sajal Chattopadhyay & Dennis Heffley, 1994. "Are For-Profit Nursing Homes More Efficient? Data Envelopment Analysis with a Case-Mix Constraint," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 171-186, Spring.
- Nyman, John A., 1988. "The marginal cost of nursing home care : New York, 1983," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 393-412, December.
- Darius Lakdawalla & Tomas Philipson, 1998. "Nonprofit Production and Competition," NBER Working Papers 6377, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Dervaux & H. Leleu & H. Nogues & V. Valdmanis, 2006.
"Assessing french nursing home efficiency : an indirect approach via budget-constrained DEA models,"
- Dervaux, B. & Leleu, H. & Nogues, H. & Valdmanis, V., 2006. "Assessing French nursing home efficiency: An indirect approach via budget-constrained DEA models," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 70-91, March.
- Nyman, John A & Bricker, Dennis L, 1989. "Profit Incentives and Technical Efficiency in the Production of Nursing Home Care," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 586-594, November.
- ChunpingLiu & Audrey Laporte & Brian Ferguson, 2007.
"The Quantile Regression Approach to Efficiency Measurement: Insights from Monte Carlo Simulations,"
Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers
07/14, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Chunping Liu & Audrey Laporte & Brian S. Ferguson, 2008. "The quantile regression approach to efficiency measurement: insights from Monte Carlo simulations," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(9), pages 1073-1087.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2005. "Unobserved heterogeneity in stochastic cost frontier models: an application to Swiss nursing homes," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2127-2141.
- Nyman, John A, 1994. "The Effects of Market Concentration and Excess Demand on the Price of Nursing Home Care," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 193-204, June.
- Vitaliano, Donald F. & Toren, Mark, 1994. "Cost and efficiency in nursing homes: a stochastic frontier approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 281-300, October.
- Roméo Fontaine & Agnès Gramain & Jérôme Wittwer, 2009. "Providing care for an elderly parent: interactions among siblings?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(9), pages 1011-1029.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dau:thesis:123456789/13712. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.