The price of placements in residential and nursing home care: the effects of contracts and competition
A variety of contract types are used in the placement of elderly people in residential and nursing care homes in the UK. Contracts vary according to how and when providers are paid. Among other things, prices can be made contingent on the total quantity of service to be purchased and on production cost characteristics. They can be determined at the time of placement or in advance. The primary objective of this paper is to assess the impact of contract choices on the price of placements. Regression analysis was conducted on a final sample of 1780 publicly funded placements made in 18 local authorities in the UK over a 6-month period ending in early 1996. Controlling factors included in the price analysis were production cost indicators and those measuring market competitiveness. Choices of both quantity and cost contingent contracts were found to be significantly associated with placement prices. The findings support the hypothesis that contract payment arrangements have different risk, insurance and information properties, and so have implications for the performance of residential care providers. Copyright © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 9 (2000)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Forder, Julien, 2000. "Mental health: market power and governance," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 877-905, November.
- Csaba, Ivan & Fenn, Paul, 1997. "Contractual choice in the managed health care market An empirical analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 579-588, October.
- Matsaganis, Manos & Glennerster, Howard, 1994. "The threat of 'cream skimming' in the post-reform NHS," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 31-60, March.
- ANDERSON, Simon & de PALMA, André & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1996.
"Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1996045, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1997. "Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1635-1654, December.
- de Palma, André & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1995. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 1136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- ANDERSON, S. P. & de PALMA, A. & THISSE, J.-F., . "Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1298, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Thisse, J.F., 1995. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," Papers 9505, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- B. Curtis Eaton & Myrna Holtz Wooders, 1985. "Sophisticated Entry in a Model of Spatial Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(2), pages 282-297, Summer.
- Forder, Julien, 1997. "Contracts and purchaser-provider relationships in community care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 517-542, October.
- Nyman, John A, 1994. "The Effects of Market Concentration and Excess Demand on the Price of Nursing Home Care," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 193-204, June.
- Vickers, John, 1996. "Market Power and Inefficiency: A Contracts Perspective," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 11-26, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:9:y:2000:i:7:p:643-657. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.