Hospital Staffing and Local Pay: an Investigation into the Impact of Local variations in the Competitiveness of Nurses Pay on the Staffing of Hospitals in France
Research has shown that where nurses’ wages are regulated but wages in other sectors are not this results in spatial variations in the competitiveness of nurses pay and that in England these are correlated with spatial differences in nurses’ labour supply. In France there is general regulation of wages and public hospitals compete with the private hospital and non hospital sectors for nurses. We construct and employ a unique dataset on nurses pay and the characteristics of hospitals in France. We undertake the first study of the impact of spatial wage differentials on nursing supply to French public hospitals. We show that nurse assistants’ labour supply is sensitive to spatial wage differentials, the more competitive their pay the smaller the shortage of nurse assistants, and that registered nurses and nurse assistants labour supply are interdependent, the greater the supply of nurse assistants the greater the supply of registered nurses.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 33, boulevard du port - 95011 Cergy-Pontoise Cedex|
Phone: 33 1 34 25 60 63
Fax: 33 1 34 25 62 33
Web page: http://thema.u-cergy.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- João Pereira & Aurora Galego, 2011.
"Regional wage differentials in Portugal: Static and dynamic approaches,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(3), pages 529-548, 08.
- Joao Pereira & Aurora Galego, 2007. "Regional Wage Differentials: Static And Dynamic Approaches," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2007_07, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Wouter Vermeulen & J. van Ommeren, 2006.
"Compensation of regional unemployment in housing markets,"
CPB Discussion Paper
57, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Wouter Vermeulen & Jos Van Ommeren, 2009. "Compensation of Regional Unemployment in Housing Markets," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(301), pages 71-88, 02.
- Wouter Vermeulen & Jos van Ommeren, 2005. "Compensation of Regional Unemployment in Housing Markets," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-093/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Emma Hall & Carol Propper & John Van Reenen, 2008.
"Can Pay Regulation Kill? Panel Data Evidence on the Effect of Labor Markets on Hospital Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0843, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Carol Propper & John Van Reenen, 2010. "Can Pay Regulation Kill? Panel Data Evidence on the Effect of Labor Markets on Hospital Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 118(2), pages 222-273, 04.
- Hall, Emma & Propper, Carol & Van Reenen, John, 2008. "Can Pay Regulation Kill? Panel Data Evidence on the Effect of Labour Markets on Hospital Performance," CEPR Discussion Papers 6643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Emma Hall & Carol Propper & John Van Reenen, 2008. "Can pay regulation kill? Panel data evidence on the effect of labor markets on hospital performance," NBER Working Papers 13776, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emma Hall & Carol Propper & John Van Reenen, 2008. "Can pay regulation kill? Panel data evidence on the effect of labor markets on hospital performance," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3282, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Emma Hall & Carol Propper & John Van Reenen, 2007. "Can pay regulation kill? Panel data evidence on the effect of labor markets on hospital performance," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 08/184, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Inmaculada Garcia & Jose Alberto Molina, 2002. "Inter-regional wage differentials in Spain," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 209-215.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006.
"Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions,"
OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers
35, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 486, OECD Publishing.
- Andrew Cook & Martin Gaynor & Melvin Stephens, Jr. & Lowell Taylor, 2010. "The Effect of Hospital Nurse Staffing on Patient Health Outcomes: Evidence from California's Minimum Staffing Regulation," NBER Working Papers 16077, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Elliott & Ada Ma & Matt Sutton & Diane Skatun & Nigel Rice & Stephen Morris & Alex McConnachie, 2010. "The role of the staff MFF in distributing NHS funding: taking account of differences in local labour market conditions," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(5), pages 532-548.
- Elliott, Robert F. & Ma, Ada H.Y. & Scott, Anthony & Bell, David & Roberts, Elizabeth, 2007. "Geographically differentiated pay in the labour market for nurses," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 190-212, January.
- Daron Acemoglu & Amy Finkelstein, 2006.
"Input and Technology Choices in Regulated Industries: Evidence From the Health Care Sector,"
NBER Working Papers
12254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Amy Finkelstein, 2008. "Input and Technology Choices in Regulated Industries: Evidence from the Health Care Sector," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(5), pages 837-880, October.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon, 2008.
"Spatial Wage Disparities: Sorting Matters!,"
- Dominique Meurs & Cyriaque Edon, 2007. "France: A Limited Effect Of Regions On Public Wage Differentials?," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 75(4), pages 479-500, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ema:worpap:2012-35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Marcassa)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.