Social Science & Medicine
1993, Volume 37, Issue 4
1993, Volume 37, Issue 3
- 281-283 Anthropological perspectives on chronic illness : Introduction
by Heurtin-Roberts, Suzanne & Becker, Gay
- 285-294 'High-pertension'--The uses of a chronic folk illness for personal adaptation
by Heurtin-Roberts, Suzanne
- 295-304 Redefining health: Living with cancer
by Kagawa-Singer, Marjorie
- 305-313 The dilemma of seeking urgent care: Asthma episodes and emergency service use
by Becker, Gay & Janson-Bjerklie, Susan & Benner, Patricia & Slobin, Kathleen & Ferketich, Sandra
- 315-329 Self-care and multiple sclerosis: A view from two cultures
by McLaughlin, Judith & Zeeberg, Ib
- 331-342 Life stress, social support and clinical depression: A reanalysis of the literature
by Vilhjalmsson, Runar
- 343-353 Health care financing for the elderly in Japan
by Kobayashi, Yasuki & Reich, Michael R.
- 355-368 Health care behavior on Nicaragua's Atlantic coast
by Barrett, Bruce
- 369-383 User fees plus quality equals improved access to health care: Results of a field experiment in Cameroon
by Litvack, Jennie I. & Bodart, Claude
- 385-391 Ways of coping with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Development of an illness management questionnaire
by Ray, Colette & Weir, William & Stewart, David & Miller, Patricia & Hyde, Geoffrey
- 393-399 The general practitioner's use of time: Is it influenced by the remuneration system?
by Kristiansen, Ivar Sønbø & Mooney, Gavin
- 401-412 Sexual behaviors relevant to HIV transmission in a rural African population : How much can a KAP survey tell us?
by Schopper, Doris & Doussantousse, Serge & Orav, John
- 413-417 Assessment of trends in geographical inequalities in infant mortality
by Vásquez-Vizoso, F. & Castilla, J. & Pollán, M. & López-Abente, G.
- 419-429 Motorcycling safety research: A review of the social and behavioural literature
by Chesham, D. J. & Rutter, D. R. & Quine, Lyn
- 431-435 Concurrent utilization of chiropractic, prescription medicines, nonprescription medicines and alternative health care
by Northcott, Herbert C. & Bachynsky, John A.
1993, Volume 37, Issue 2
- 129-138 State authority, medical dominance, and trends in the regulation of the health professions: The Ontario case
by Coburn, David
- 139-151 Des enfants pour la vieillesse : Forme de la Fratrie et soutien aux parents âgés dans le sud-ouest rural français
by Clément, Serge
- 153-158 The utility of health at different stages in life: A quantitative approach
by Busschbach, Jan J. V. & Hessing, Dick J. & De Charro, Frank Th.
- 159-171 A longitudinal study of the impact of behavioural change intervention on cleanliness, diarrhoeal morbidity and growth of children in rural Bangladesh
by Ahmed, Nasar U. & Zeitlin, Marian F. & Beiser, Alexa S. & Super, Charles M. & Gershoff, Stanley N.
- 173-181 Cost-effectiveness analysis of prenatal screening and vaccination against hepatitis B virus--The case of Belgium
by Tormans, G. & Van Damme, P. & Carrin, G. & Clara, R. & Eylenbosch, W.
- 183-198 Determinants of infant mortality in Malawi: A spatial perspective
by Kalipeni, Ezekiel
- 199-211 Determinants of pregnancy outcomes and targeting of maternal health services in Jamaica
by Gertler, Paul & Rahman, Omar & Feifer, Chris & Ashley, Deanna
- 213-232 Disease and mortality among gold miners of Ghana: Colonial government and mining company attitudes and policies, 1900-1938
by Dumett, Raymond
- 233-240 Social determinants of child health in Yemen
by Myntti, Cynthia
- 241-252 La maison du MBOMBO: Rite therapeutique pour les enfants a hauts risques dans le Zaire rural
by Goblet-Vanormelingen, Véronique
- 253-261 An application of Ajzen's theory of planned behaviour to predict mothers' intention to use oral rehydration therapy in a rural area of Benin
by MahougbéHounsa, Assomption & Godin, Gaston & Alihonou, Eusébe & Valois, Pierre & Girard, Jacques
- 263-266 Vasectomy as a reason for donor insemination
by Humphrey, Michael & Humphrey, Heather
- 267-274 The relationship between parenting stress and social support in mothers of children with learning disabilities: A Chinese experience
by Pearson, Veronica & Chan, Tim W. L.
- I-II Letter to the editor
by Hill, T. Patrick
1993, Volume 37, Issue 1
- 1-3 Anthropology in a multidisciplinary field: Substance abuse : Introduction
by Gilbert, M. Jean
- 5-13 Integration and exchange in multidisciplinary alcohol research
by Delaney, William & Ames, Genevieve
- 15-25 Knowledge for use: Anthropology and community-centered substance abuse research
by Singer, Merrill
- 27-30 The value of ethnographic alcohol studies: A psychologist's perspective
by Johnson, Patrick B.
- 33-40 Cost-effectiveness league tables: More harm than good?
by Drummond, Michael & Torrance, George & Mason, James
- 41-52 Unemployment and mental health: A critical review
by Ezzy, Douglas
- 53-59 Predicting the uptake of health checks in general practice: Invitation methods and patients' health beliefs
by Norman, Paul
- 61-67 Queueing for coronary surgery during severe supply-demand mismatch in a Canadian referral centre: A case study of implicit rationing
by Naylor, C. David & Levinton, Carey M. & Wheeler, Susan & Hunter, Linda
- 69-75 Tacit models of disability underlying health status instruments
by Ziebland, Sue & Fitzpatrick, Ray & Jenkinson, Crispin
- 77-83 Knowledge and attitudes about AIDS of residents of greater Athens
by Chliaoutakis, Joannes & Socrataki, Fotini & Darviri, Christina & Gousgounis, Nikos & Trakas, Deanne
- 85-95 Organizational and environmental determinants of the performance of public health units
by Champagne, François & Leduc, Nicole & Denis, Jean-Louis & Pineault, Raynald
- 97-103 Ors and the treatment of childhood diarrhea in Managua, Nicaragua
by Hudelson, Patricia M.
- 105-114 Attitudes of medical professionals toward euthanasia
by Anderson, James G. & Caddell, David P.
- 115-122 Criterion validation of the Nottingham health profile: Patient views of surgery for benign prostatic hypertrophy
by Doll, H. A. & Black, N. A. & Flood, A. B. & McPherson, K.
- 127-127 Letter to the editor
by Friedman, Ernest H.
- I-I Editorial note
by McEwan, Peter J. M.
1993, Volume 36, Issue 12
- 1521-1534 Delay versus help seeking for breast cancer symptoms: A critical review of the literature on patient and provider delay
by Facione, Noreen C.
- 1535-1540 Sexual behaviour in the general population of Sweden
by Herlitz, Claes
- 1541-1543 Drug marketing in french-speaking African countries
by Chirac, P. & Pikon, A. & Poinsignon, Y. & Vitry, A.
- 1545-1554 Evaluating treatment efficacy by triangulation
by Kay, Margarita & de Zapien, Jill Guernsey & Wilson, Carmen Altamirano & Yoder, Marianne
- 1555-1567 The impact of war on the physical and mental health of the family: The Lebanese experience
by Farhood, Laila & Zurayk, Huda & Chaya, Monique & Saadeh, Fadia & Meshefedjian, Garbis & Sidani, Thuraya
- 1569-1578 Community types, socio-economic structure and IHD mortality--A contextual analysis based on Swedish aggregate data
by Starrin, Bengt & Hagquist, Curt & Larsson, Gerry & Svensson, Per-Gunnar
- 1579-1586 Predicting dentists' perceived occupational risk for HIV infection
by Kunzel, Carol & Sadowsky, Donald
- 1587-1595 A typology of care episodes experienced by people with schizophrenia in an english town
by Cotterill, Lesley & Thomas, Richard
- 1597-1604 Verbal exchanges in medical interviews: Implications and innovations
by Putnam, Samuel M. & Stiles, William B.
- 1605-1612 Intra-household food distribution among Guatemalan families in a supplementary feeding program: Behavior patterns
by Engle, Patrice L. & Nieves, Isabel
- 1613-1624 The cultural construction of childhood diarrhoea in rural Nicaragua: Relevance for epidemiology and health promotion
by Smith, George Davey & Gorter, Anna & Hoppenbrouwer, Joost & Sweep, Annemarie & Perez, Rosa Maria & Gonzales, Carmen & Morales, Patricia & Pauw, Josefina & Sandiford, Peter
- 1625-1633 Satisfaction and change: A survey of volunteers in a hospice organisation
by Field, David & Johnson, Ian
- 1635-1644 A meta-analysis of condom effectiveness in reducing sexually transmitted HIV
by Weller, Susan C.
- 1645-1647 How many people actually use condoms? An investigation of motel clients in Managua
by Gorter, Anna & Miranda, Esperanza & Smith, George Davey & Ortells, Pascual & Low, Nicola
1993, Volume 36, Issue 11
- 1383-1395 Community financing of health care in Africa: An evaluation of the Bamako initiative
by McPake, Barbara & Hanson, Kara & Mills, Anne
- 1397-1405 User charges for health services in developing countries: A review of the economic literature
by McPake, Barbara
- 1407-1416 Nutrition and the commercialization of agriculture: Ten years later
by DeWalt, Kathleen M.
- 1417-1428 Housing, stress, and physical well-being: Evidence from Thailand
by Fuller, Theodore D. & Edwards, John N. & Sermsri, Santhat & Vorakitphokatorn, Sairudee
- 1429-1441 Stress and exercise among the Japanese elderly
by Krause, Neal & Goldenhar, Linda & Liang, Jersey & Jay, Gina & Maeda, Daisaku
- 1443-1453 Costs and resource utilization for the treatment of incomplete abortion in Kenya and Mexico
by Johnson, Brooke R. & Benson, Janie & Bradley, Janet & Ordoñez, Aurora Rábago
- 1455-1465 Border crossing for hospital care and its implications for the use of statewide data
by Yip, Winnie & Luft, Harold S.
- 1467-1472 Covert suicide among elderly Japanese females: Questioning unintensional drownings
by Rockett, Ian R.H. & Smith, Gordon S.
- 1473-1482 Physician prescribing decisions: The effects of situational involvement and task complexity on information acquisition and decision making
by Chinburapa, Vijit & Larson, Lon N. & Brucks, Merrie & Draugalis, JoLaine & Bootman, J.Lyle & Puto, Christopher P.
- 1483-1493 A retrospective analysis of the cost-effectiveness of dental sealants in a children's health center
by Weintraub, Jane A. & Stearns, Sally C. & Burt, Brian A. & Beltran, Eugenio & Eklund, Stephen A.
- 1495-1502 Tobit, fixed effects, and cohort analyses of the relationship between severity and duration of rheumatoid arthritis
by Leigh, J.Paul & Fries, James F.
- 1503-1507 Traditional birth attendants and maternal mortality in Ghana
by Eades, Carol A. & Brace, Christopher & Osei, Lawrence & LaGuardia, Katherine D.
- 1509-1517 A critical appraisal of the demand/control model of the psychosocial work environment: Epistemological, social, behavioral and class considerations
by Muntaner, Carles & O'Campo, Patricia J.
1993, Volume 36, Issue 10
- 1243-1245 The geographical inequalities in mortality in Africa
by Iyun, B.Folasade
- 1247-1256 Les inegalites geographiques de l'infection a vih et du sida en Afrique sud-saharienne
by Amat-Roze, Jeanne-Marie
- 1257-1265 Evolution comparee de la mortalite en Afrique du nord de 1960 a nos jours
by Tabutin, Dominique
- 1267-1272 Spatial distribution of mortality from leading notifiable diseases in Nigeria
by Egunjobi, Layi
- 1273-1283 The inequalities of morbidity and mortality in Mauritius--Its ethic and geographic dimension
by Kalla, Abdool Cader
- 1285-1290 Les inegalites geographiques de la mortalite au Cameroun
by Ngatchou, Richard Dackam & Gubry, Patrick & Ngwe, Emmanuel
- 1291-1296 Differences de mortalite chez les Dogon de Boni
by Brown, E. & Cazes, M.H.
- 1297-1311 Geographie de la mortalite et de la natalite a pikine (senegal): Interets et limites des donnees d'etat civil dans les villes africaines
by Salem, Gérard
- 1313-1317 L'inegalite geographique devant la mort en Asie du Sud, du Sud-Est et de l'Est
by Veron, Jacques
- 1319-1323 The geographical inequalities of mortality in China
by Ru-Kang, Fang
- 1325-1330 Spatial patterns of mortality in Bangladesh
by Raihan Sharif, A.H.M. & Monzurul Huq, Sheikh Md. & Mesbah-us-Saleheen
- 1331-1334 Regional inequalities of child mortality in Peninsular Malaysia with special reference to the differentials between Perlis and Kuala Terengganu
by Brehm, Uwe
- 1335-1338 The geo-systemic model and mortality in Ubon-Ratchathani
by Loslier, Luc
- 1339-1348 Aspects geographiques de la mortalite en Polynesie Francaise
by Vigneron, Emmanuel
- 1349-1355 Geographical inequalities in mortality in Latin America
by Curto de Casas, Susana Isabel
- 1357-1365 Disparites regionales et socio-economiques de la mortalite en Amerique Latine
by Orihuela-Egoavil, Emilio Fernando
- 1367-1371 The problem of fuzzy cause-specific death rates in mortality context analysis: The case of Panama City
by Bock, S. & Gans, P.
- 1373-1382 Life expectancy and infant mortality in Latin America
by Bähr, Jürgen & Wehrhahn, Rainer
1993, Volume 36, Issue 9
- 1109-1120 Demographic variables in fetal and child mortality: Hmong in Thailand
by Kunstadter, Peter & Lennington Kunstadter, Sally & Podhisita, Chai & Leepreecha, Prasit
- 1121-1136 Processing narratives of self-destructive behavior in routine medical encounters: Health promotion, disease prevention, and the discourse of health care
by Waitzkin, Howard & Britt, Theron
- 1137-1144 Factors associated with health behaviour among mothers of lower socio-economic status: A British example
by Pill, Roisin & Peters, T.J. & Robling, M.R.
- 1145-1150 Community participation in disease control
by Bermejo, Alvaro & Bekui, Amenuve
- 1151-1159 Communication between patients and physicians about terminal care: A survey in Japan
by Kai, Ichiro & Ohi, Gen & Yano, Eiji & Kobayashi, Yasuki & Miyama, Tomoyo & Niino, Naoakira & Naka, Koh-Ichi
- 1161-1167 Social relationships of men at risk for AIDS
by O'Brien, Kerth & Wortman, Camille B. & Kessler, Ronald C. & Joseph, Jill G.
- 1169-1180 Acculturation and symptoms: A comparative study of reported health symptoms in three Samoan communities
by Hanna, Joel M. & Fitzgerald, Maureen H.
- 1181-1186 Re-adjustment of Japanese returnee children from an overseas sojourn
by Tamura, Takeshi & Furnham, Adrian
- 1187-1195 Highland-lowland contrasts in the impact of old world diseases in early colonial Ecuador
by Newson, Linda A.
- 1197-1205 Maternal mortality in rural and urban Zimbabwe: Social and reproductive factors in an incident case-referent study
by Mbizvo, Michael T & Fawcus, Susan & Lindmark, Gunilla & Nyström, Lennarth
- 1207-1227 Maternal education and child survival: A comparative study of survey data from 17 countries
by Bicego, George T. & Ties Boerma, J.
- 1229-1235 The perception of AIDS in the Bété and Baoulé of the Ivory Coast
by Caprara, Andrea & Seri, Dedy & De Gregorio, Giulio C. & Parenzi, Alessandro & Salazar, Carlos M. & Gozé, Tapé
- 1237-1237 Letter to the editor
by Nelson, Michael & Margetts, Barrie M. & Black, Alison E.
1993, Volume 36, Issue 8
- 987-998 Medical slang and its functions
by Coombs, Robert H. & Chopra, Sangeeta & Schenk, Debra R. & Yutan, Elaine
- 999-1009 Health needs, demand for health services and expenditure across social groups in Italy: An empirical investigation
by Mapelli, Vittorio
- 1011-1016 Interpoint squared distance as a measure of spatial clustering
by Selvin, S. & Schulman, J. & Merrill, D.W.
- 1017-1022 Reporting by parents of longstanding illness in their adolescent children
by Ecob, Russell & Macintyre, Sally & West, Patrick
- 1023-1035 Enhancing appropriate drug use: The contribution of herbal medicine promotion: A case study in rural Thailand
by le Grand, Amanda & Sri-ngernyuang, Luechai & Streefland, Pieter H.
- 1037-1046 Negotiating autism: Relations between parents and treatment staff
by Gray, David E.
- 1047-1052 The impact of childhood living conditions on illness and mortality in adulthood
by Lundberg, Olle
- 1053-1061 Socioeconomic disadvantage and child morbidity: An Australian longitudinal study
by Bor, W. & Najman, J.M. & Andersen, M. & Morrison, J. & Williams, G.
- 1063-1069 Breastfeeding and weaning in a poor urban neighborhood in Cairo, Egypt: Maternal beliefs and perceptions
by Harrison, Gail G. & Zaghloul, Zahar S. & Galal, Osman M. & Gabr, Azza
- 1071-1076 Property rights and payment to patients for cell lines derived from human tissues: An economic analysis
by Greenberg, Warren & Kamin, Deborah
- 1077-1086 Social inequality in health--The role of the healthy worker effect
by Dahl, Espen
- 1087-1097 Construction of a socio-economic index to facilitate analysis of health data in developing countries
by Cortinovis, I. & Vella, V. & Ndiku, J.
- 1099-1104 Health effects of discontinuities in female employment and marital status
by Hibbard, Judith H. & Pope, Clyde R.
1993, Volume 36, Issue 7
- 843-848 The impact of war on children's health in Mozambique
by Cliff, Julie & Noormahomed, Abdul Razak
- 849-856 Obstacles to medical audit: British doctors speak
by Black, Nick & Thompson, Elizabeth
- 857-865 The body: From an immateriality to another
by Benoist, Jean & Cathebras, Pascal
- 867-874 Child health and the social environment of white and black children
by McGauhey, Peggy J. & Starfield, Barbara
- 875-892 Societal and ecological determinants of urban health: A case study of pre-reproductive mortality in 19th century Gibraltar
by Sawchuk, L.A.
- 893-901 Anti-permissive attitudes to lifestyles associated with AIDS
by Nisbet, L.A. & McQueen, D.V.
- 903-914 Health related response to natural disasters: The case of the Bangladesh cyclone of 1991
by Rahman, M.Omar & Bennish, Michael
- 915-924 Towards understanding treatment preferences of hospital physicians
by Denig, P. & Haaijer-Ruskamp, F.M. & Wesseling, H. & Versluis, A.
- 925-935 Maternal education and child feeding practices in rural Bangladesh
by Guldan, Georgia S. & Zeitlin, Marian F. & Beiser, Alexa S. & Super, Charles M. & Gershoff, Stanley N. & Datta, Sabita
- 937-947 Child feeding practices in a rural area of Zimbabwe
by Cosminsky, Sheila & Mhloyi, Marvellous & Ewbank, Douglas
- 949-955 HIV transmission through social and geographical networks in Uganda
by Obbo, Christine
- 957-964 Interfacing anthropology and epidemiology: The Bedouin Arab infant feeding study
by Lewando Hundt, G.A. & Forman, M.R.
- 965-979 Prostitution and the military: Planning AIDS intervention in Belize
by Kane, Stephanie C.
1993, Volume 36, Issue 6
- 715-724 Health consequences of employment and unemployment: Longitudinal evidence for young men and women
by Graetz, Brian
- 725-733 The structure and properties of the sense of coherence scale
by Antonovsky, Aaron
- 735-747 Increasing reliance on user fees as a response to public health financing crises: A case study of El Salvador
by Fiedler, John L.
- 749-756 Suicide and unemployment in Australia 1907-1990
by Morrell, Stephen & Taylor, Richard & Quine, Susan & Kerr, Charles
- 757-765 Patient control over dying: Responses of health care professionals
by Kelner, Merrijoy J. & Bourgeault, Ivy L.
- 767-774 The attitudes of patients and physicians towards placebo treatment--A comparative study
by Lynöe, Niels & Mattsson, Bengt & Sandlund, Mikael
- 775-782 Primary health workers in North East Brazil
by Stock-Iwamoto, Christel & Korte, Rolf
- 783-791 Social science and the study of pain since Zborowski: A need for a new agenda
by Encandela, John A.
- 793-805 Witchcraft-explained childhood tragedies in Tlaxcala, and their medical sequelae
by Fabrega, Horacio & Nutini, Hugo
- 807-816 Socioeconomic, environmental, demographic and behavioral factors associated with occurrence of diarrhea in young children in the Republic of Congo
by Mock, Nancy B. & Sellers, Thomas A. & Abdoh, Ahmed A. & Franklin, Robert R.
- 817-822 Prevalence of smoking in physicians and medical students, and the generation effect in the Netherlands
by Dekker, Heleen M. & Looman, Caspar W. N. & Adriaanse, Hans P. & van der Maas, Paul J.
- 823-833 What do students find attractive about the practice of medicine? : A pattern of stability over time
by Simpson, Janet M.
- 841-841 Letter to the editor
by Nelson, Michael & Margetts, Barrie M. & Black, Alison E.
1993, Volume 36, Issue 5
- 585-596 Developing a primary health care management information system that supports the pursuit of equity, effectiveness and affordability
by Husein, Khatidja & Adeyi, Olusoji & Bryant, John & Cara, Noorddin B.
- 597-607 Minorities and mental health
by Halpern, David
- 609-614 White liver: A cultural disorder resembling aids
by Kerr, Harry D.
- 615-623 Attitudes towards disabilities in a multicultural society
by Westbrook, Mary T. & Legge, Varoe & Pennay, Mark
- 625-629 Primary mental health care in Nicaragua
by Byng, Richard
- 631-639 Predictors of psychological distress among southeast Asian refugees
by Chung, Rita Chi-Ying & Kagawa-Singer, Marjorie
- 641-655 Changes in life satisfaction over a two and a half year period among very elderly people living in London
by Bowling, Ann & Farquhar, Morag & Grundy, Emily & Formby, Juliet
- 657-663 Professional constructions of a 'lay' illness: 'Nerves' in a rural 'coloured' community in South Africa
by Reynolds, John & Swartz, Leslie
- 665-672 Evaluation of a face-to-face weaning food intervention in Kwara state, Nigeria: Knowledge, trial, and adoption of a home-prepared weaning food
by Guptill, Katharine S. & Esrey, Steven A. & Oni, Gbolahan A. & Brown, Kenneth H.
- 673-681 Blood is hotter than water: Popular use of hot and cold in Kel Tamasheq illness management
by Randall, Sara C.
- 683-692 Comparing nurses' and patients' pain evaluations: A study of hospitalized patients in Kuwait
by Harrison, Ann
- 693-701 Validity and reliability testing of the FAMCARE scale: Measuring family satisfaction with advanced cancer care
by Kristjanson, Linda J.
- 703-707 The impact of induced abortions on fertility in Israel
by Sabatello, Eitan F.
- 713-714 Letter to the editor
by Zhang, Kaining
1993, Volume 36, Issue 4
- 385-391 Financing health care in rural China: Preliminary report of a nationwide study
by Xingyuan, Gu & Bloom, Gerald & Shenglan, Tang & Yingya, Zhu & Shouqi, Zhou & Xingbao, Chen
- 393-402 Stress, anxiety and depression: Women's accounts of their health problems
by Walters, Vivienne
- 403-407 Malaria chemoprophylaxis compliance in pregnant women: A cost-effectiveness analysis of alternative interventions
by Helitzer-Allen, Deborah L. & McFarland, Deborah A. & Wirima, Jack J. & Macheso, Allen P.
- 409-418 Problems in the measurement and international comparison of socio-economic differences in mortality
by Valkonen, Tapani
- 419-427 Gender differences in health perceptions and their predictors
by Anson, Ofra & Paran, Esther & Neumann, Lily & Chernichovsky, Dov
- 429-439 Anthropology and AIDS: The cultural context of sexual risk behavior among urban Baganda women in Kampala, Uganda
by McGrath, Janet W. & Rwabukwali, Charles B. & Schumann, Debra A. & Pearson-Marks, Jonnie & Nakayiwa, Sylvia & Namande, Barbara & Nakyobe, Lucy & Mukasa, Rebecca
- 441-450 Socioeconomic status and physical health, how are they related? An empirical study based on twins reared apart and twins reared together
by Lichtenstein, Paul & Harris, Jennifer R. & Pedersen, Nancy L. & McClearn, G.E.
- 451-462 Recent trends in sex mortality ratios for adults in developed countries
by Waldron, Ingrid
- 463-474 Social and epidemiological aspects of Guinea worm control
by Audibert, M. & Coulibaly, D. & Doumbo, O. & Kodio, B. & Soula, G. & Traore, S.
- 475-483 Experiences of Australian mothers who gave birth either at home, at a birth centre, or in hospital labour wards
by Cunningham, John D.
- 485-494 Ensuring access to health care with the introduction of user fees: A Kenyan example
by Huber, Joyce H.
- 495-507 The Latin American trial of psychosocial support during pregnancy: A social intervention evaluated through an experimental design
by Langer, Ana & Victoria, Cesar & Victoria, Magda & Barros, Fernando & Farnot, Ubaldo & Belizan, Jose & Villar, Jose
- 509-524 Correlates of AIDS knowledge in samples of the general population
by Peruga, Armando & Celentano, David D.
- 525-531 Oral rehydration therapy--Qualitative studies of balance between pragmatism and scientific rigour in managing diarrhoea
by Ueli, Bollag
- 533-546 Excess mortality among the unmarried: A case study of Japan
by Goldman, Noreen & Hu, Yuanreng
- 547-556 Life satisfaction and health in cancer patients, orthopedic patients and healthy individuals
by Kreitler, Shulamith & Chaitchik, Samario & Rapoport, Yoram & Kreitler, Hans & Algor, Rahel
- 557-564 Geographic patterns of low birth weight in Hawaii
by Kieffer, Edith C. & Alexander, Greg R. & Lewis, Nancy D & Mor, Joanne
- 565-568 Public Attitudes to charging for some national health service services
by Gooder, P. & Charny, M. & Farrow, S.
- 569-573 Patterns of dentist location: Lansing, Michigan 1950-1991
by Lowell-Smith, Elizabeth G.
- 583-583 Letter to the editor
by Friedman, Ernest H.
1993, Volume 36, Issue 3
- 175-194 The competing discourses of HIV/AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa: Discourses of rights and empowerment vs discourses of control and exclusion
by Seidel, Gill
- 195-202 Descriptive and normative ethics: Class, context and confidentiality for mothers with HIV
by Brown, Kate H.
- 203-216 Individual rights vs the public health: The problem of the Asian hepatitis B carriers in America
by Muraskin, William
- 217-225 The quality of social roles as predictors of morbidity and mortality
by Hibbard, Judith H. & Pope, Clyde R.
- 227-235 Managerial style and health promotion programs
by Witte, Kim
- 237-247 The Islamic dialogue with African traditional religion: Divination and health care
by Kirby, Jon P.
- 249-264 The power of compassion: Truth-telling among American doctors in the care of dying patients
by Miyaji, Naoko T.
- 265-272 Post-empiricism and psychiatry: Meaning and methodology in cross-cultural research
by Bracken, Patrick J.
- 273-282 Living longer but doing worse: Assessing health status in elderly persons at two points in time in Manitoba, Canada, 1971 and 1983
by Roos, Noralou P. & Havens, Betty & Black, Charlyn
- 283-288 Colostrum and ideas about bad milk: A case study from Guinea-Bissau
by Gunnlaugsson, Geir & Einarsdóttir, Jónína
- 289-295 Type A behavior: Contextual effects within a Southern black community
by Dressler, William W.
- 297-304 Women's work and infant care in the Philippines
by Doan, Rebecca Miles & Popkin, Barry M.
- 305-310 Intrahousehold allocation of resources in larger and smaller Mexican households
by Baer, Roberta D. & Madrigal, Lorena
- 311-315 Women's views of ultrasonography : A comparison of women's experiences of antenatal ultrasound screening with cerebral ultrasound of their newborn infant
by Thorpe, Karen & Harker, Lisa & Pike, Alison & Marlow, Neil
- 317-331 Socio-cultural determinants of child mortality in Southern Peru: Including some methodological considerations
by De Meer, Kees & Bergman, Roland & Kusner, John S.
- 333-342 Pregnancy and childbirth among the amish
by Campanella, Karla & Korbin, Jill E. & Acheson, Louise
- 343-351 Factors associated with high-quantity prescriptions of benzodiazepines in Sweden
by Isacson, Dag & Bingefors, Kerstin & Wennberg, Mats & Dahlström, Monica
- 353-360 Parental social support and child behaviour problems in different populations and socioeconomic groups: A methodological study
by Thernlund, Gunilla M. & Samuelsson, Margarita A. K.
- 361-370 Dental care use by U.S. veterans eligible for VA care
by Gilbert, Gregg H. & Branch, Laurence G. & Longmate, Jeffrey
- 371-372 Mothers brought dead: An enquiry into causes of delay
by Jafarey, Sadiqua N. & Korejo, Razia
- 373-377 Perception of diarrhoeal diseases among mothers and mothers-to-be implications for health education in Saudi Arabia
by Rasheed, Parveen
- 383-383 Letter to the editor
by Friedman, Ernest H.