Equity aspects of the National Health Insurance Scheme in Ghana: Who is enrolling, who is not and why?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Schneider, Pia, 2005. "Trust in micro-health insurance: an exploratory study in Rwanda," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(7), pages 1430-1438, October.
- Criel, Bart & Van der Stuyft, Patrick & Van Lerberghe, Wim, 1999. "The Bwamanda hospital insurance scheme: effective for whom? A study of its impact on hospital utilization patterns," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 48(7), pages 897-911, April.
- Kroeger, Axel, 1983. "Anthropological and socio-medical health care research in developing countries," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 147-161, January.
- Basaza, Robert & Criel, Bart & Van der Stuyft, Patrick, 2008. "Community health insurance in Uganda: Why does enrolment remain low? A view from beneath," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 172-184, August.
- Nemet, Gregory F. & Bailey, Adrian J., 2000. "Distance and health care utilization among the rural elderly," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 1197-1208, May.
- Jutting, Johannes P., 2004. "Do Community-based Health Insurance Schemes Improve Poor People's Access to Health Care? Evidence From Rural Senegal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 273-288, February.
- Abdo S. Yazbeck, 2009. "Attacking Inequality in the Health Sector : A Synthesis of Evidence and Tools," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2583.
- Alderman, Harold & Lavy, Victor, 1996. "Household Responses to Public Health Services: Cost and Quality Tradeoffs," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 3-22, February.
- Hengjin Dong & Adjima Gbangou & Manuela Allegri & Subhash Pokhrel & Rainer Sauerborn, 2008. "The differences in characteristics between health-care users and non-users: implication for introducing community-based health insurance in Burkina Faso," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 9(1), pages 41-50, February.
- Stock, Robert, 1983. "Distance and the utilization of health facilities in rural Nigeria," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 17(9), pages 563-570, January.
- Ronald J. Angel & Sonia M. Frias & Terrence D. Hill, 2005. "Determinants of Household Insurance Coverage Among Low-Income Families from Boston, Chicago, and San Antonio: Evidence from the Three-City Study," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 86(s1), pages 1338-1353.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vincent Z. Kuuire & Eric Y. Tenkorang & Andrea Rishworth & Isaac Luginaah & Alfred E. Yawson, 2017. "Is the Pro-Poor Premium Exemption Policy of Ghana’s NHIS Reducing Disparities Among the Elderly?," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer;Southern Demographic Association (SDA), vol. 36(2), pages 231-249, April.
- Sato, Azusa, 2012. "Do Inequalities in Health Care Utilization in Developing Countries Change When We Take into Account Traditional Medicines?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(11), pages 2275-2289.
- Dixon, Jenna & Luginaah, Isaac & Mkandawire, Paul, 2014. "The National Health Insurance Scheme in Ghana's Upper West Region: A gendered perspective of insurance acquisition in a resource-poor setting," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 122(C), pages 103-112.
- Silfverberg, Denise Valerie, 2015. "Analysis of the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation's Individually Paying Program and Employed Program," Philippine Journal of Development PJD 2013 Vol. 40 Nos. 1-2, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Stephen K.O. Duku & Edward Nketiah-Amponsahd & Christine J. Fenenga & Daniel K. Arhinful & Wendy (W.) Janssens & Menno (M.) Pradhan, 2018. "The Effect of Community Engagement on Healthcare Utilization and Health Insurance Enrolment in Ghana Results from a Randomized Experiment," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 18-017/V, Tinbergen Institute.
- Adu, Kofi Osei, 2014. "Low participation in national health insurance scheme in Central Region OF Ghana: underlying reasons and health seeking behaviour of both insured and uninsured," MPRA Paper 58411, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lisa Bagnoli, 2017. "Does National Health Insurance Improve Children's Health ?National and Regional Evidence from Ghana," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2017-03, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mawuli Gaddah & Alistair Munro, 2011. "The Progressivity Of Health Care Services In Ghana," GRIPS Discussion Papers 11-14, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Gajate-Garrido, Gissele & Ahiadeke, Clement, 2015. "The effect of insurance enrollment on maternal and child health care utilization: The case of Ghana," IFPRI discussion papers 1495, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Yilma, Zelalem & van Kempen, Luuk & de Hoop, Thomas, 2012. "A perverse ‘net’ effect? Health insurance and ex-ante moral hazard in Ghana," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 138-147.
- Paul Mosley & Abdul-Gafaru Abdulai, 2016. "The political economy of 'linked' progressive taxation in Africa and Latin America," WIDER Working Paper Series 131, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Parmar, Divya & Williams, Gemma & Dkhimi, Fahdi & Ndiaye, Alfred & Asante, Felix Ankomah & Arhinful, Daniel Kojo & Mladovsky, Philipa, 2014. "Enrolment of older people in social health protection programs in West Africa – Does social exclusion play a part?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 119(C), pages 36-44.
More about this item
KeywordsEquity Determinants Perceptions Social health insurance Socio-economic status Ghana;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:72:y:2011:i:2:p:157-165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.