The ambivalence of stigma and the double-edged sword of HIV/AIDS intervention in Burkina Faso
This article analyses the causes of HIV stigmatisation in Burkina Faso as perceived by people living with HIV/AIDS (PLHIV) and people working in AIDS-related Community Based Organisations (CBOs). Stigmatisation continues to be a pressing issue when dealing with HIV/AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa. The article is based on direct observation of HIV-related practices within 20 CBOs in Burkina Faso, as well as semi-structured interviews or focus group discussions with 72 PLHIV and 90 professionals and volunteers working in CBOs. PLHIV were chosen by convenience sampling among the persons who accessed CBO services and were interviewed about their life quality and experience relating to HIV. Professionals and volunteers were interviewed about their strategies, their achievements, and the problems they encountered. The research was conducted in the course of three months fieldwork between September and November 2009.
Volume (Year): 74 (2012)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maman, Suzanne & Abler, Laurie & Parker, Lisa & Lane, Tim & Chirowodza, Admire & Ntogwisangu, Jacob & Srirak, Namtip & Modiba, Precious & Murima, Oliver & Fritz, Katherine, 2009. "A comparison of HIV stigma and discrimination in five international sites: The influence of care and treatment resources in high prevalence settings," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(12), pages 2271-2278, June.
- Tim Allen & Suzette Heald, 2004. "HIV|AIDS policy in Africa: what has worked in Uganda and what has failed in Botswana?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(8), pages 1141-1154.
- Parker, Richard & Aggleton, Peter, 2003. "HIV and AIDS-related stigma and discrimination: a conceptual framework and implications for action," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 13-24, July.
- Genberg, Becky L. & Hlavka, Zdenek & Konda, Kelika A. & Maman, Suzanne & Chariyalertsak, Suwat & Chingono, Alfred & Mbwambo, Jessie & Modiba, Precious & Van Rooyen, Heidi & Celentano, David D., 2009. "A comparison of HIV/AIDS-related stigma in four countries: Negative attitudes and perceived acts of discrimination towards people living with HIV/AIDS," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(12), pages 2279-2287, June.
- Bond, Virginia & Chase, Elaine & Aggleton, Peter, 2002. "Stigma, HIV/AIDS and prevention of mother-to-child transmission in Zambia," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 347-356, November.
- Gausset, Quentin, 2001. "AIDS and cultural practices in Africa: the case of the Tonga (Zambia)," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 509-518, February.
- Maughan-Brown, Brendan, 2010. "Stigma rises despite antiretroviral roll-out: A longitudinal analysis in South Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 368-374, February.
- Obermeyer, Carla Makhlouf & Sankara, Augustin & Bastien, Vincent & Parsons, Michelle, 2009. "Gender and HIV testing in Burkina Faso: An exploratory study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 877-884, September.
- Bila, Blandine & Egrot, Marc, 2009. "Gender asymmetry in healthcare-facility attendance of people living with HIV/AIDS in Burkina Faso," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 854-861, September.
- Simbayi, Leickness C. & Kalichman, Seth & Strebel, Anna & Cloete, Allanise & Henda, Nomvo & Mqeketo, Ayanda, 2007. "Internalized stigma, discrimination, and depression among men and women living with HIV/AIDS in Cape Town, South Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(9), pages 1823-1831, May.
- Abadía-Barrero, César Ernesto & Castro, Arachu, 2006. "Experiences of stigma and access to HAART in children and adolescents living with HIV/AIDS in Brazil," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(5), pages 1219-1228, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:74:y:2012:i:7:p:1037-1044. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.