Internal displacement and health among the Palestinian minority in Israel
Long term health impacts of internal displacement (ID) resulting from political violence are not well documented or understood. One such case is the ID of 300,000–420,000 Palestinian citizens of Israel and their descendants during the Nakba of 1948 (Palestinian Catastrophe). We aim to document the long term health impacts of this ID. We draw on data collected in 2005 from a nationwide random sample of 902 individuals aged 30–70. Research participants were interviewed in person after being selected through a multistage sampling procedure. About 24% of participants reported that either they or their families had been internally displaced.
Volume (Year): 74 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ola Olsson, 0.
"After Janjaweed? Socioeconomic Impacts of the Conflict in Darfur,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 24(3), pages 386-411.
- Olsson, Ola, 2010. "After Janjaweed? Socioeconomic Impacts of the Conflict in Darfur," Working Papers in Economics 429, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Panter-Brick, Catherine, 2010. "Conflict, violence, and health: Setting a new interdisciplinary agenda," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 1-6, January.
- Baron-Epel, Orna & Kaplan, Giora & Haviv-Messika, Amalia & Tarabeia, Jalal & Green, Manfred S. & Nitzan Kaluski, Dorit, 2005. "Self-reported health as a cultural health determinant in Arab and Jewish Israelis: MABAT--National Health and Nutrition Survey 1999-2001," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(6), pages 1256-1266, September.
- McDonough, Peggy & Walters, Vivienne, 2001. "Gender and health: reassessing patterns and explanations," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 547-559, February.
- Miller, Kenneth E. & Rasmussen, Andrew, 2010. "War exposure, daily stressors, and mental health in conflict and post-conflict settings: Bridging the divide between trauma-focused and psychosocial frameworks," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 7-16, January.
- Lindström, Martin & Merlo, Juan & Östergren, Per-Olof, 2002. "Individual and neighbourhood determinants of social participation and social capital: a multilevel analysis of the city of Malmö, Sweden," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 54(12), pages 1779-1791, June.
- Read, Jen'nan Ghazal & Amick, Benjamin & Donato, Katharine M., 2005. "Arab immigrants: a new case for ethnicity and health?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 77-82, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:74:y:2012:i:8:p:1163-1171. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.