Suffering, hope, and entrapment: Resilience and cultural values in Afghanistan
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Pedersen, Duncan & Tremblay, Jacques & Errázuriz, Consuelo & Gamarra, Jeffrey, 2008. "The sequelae of political violence: Assessing trauma, suffering and dislocation in the Peruvian highlands," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 205-217, July.
- Wexler, Lisa Marin & DiFluvio, Gloria & Burke, Tracey K., 2009. "Resilience and marginalized youth: Making a case for personal and collective meaning-making as part of resilience research in public health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 565-570, August.
- Panter-Brick, Catherine, 2010. "Conflict, violence, and health: Setting a new interdisciplinary agenda," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 1-6, January.
- Miller, Kenneth E. & Rasmussen, Andrew, 2010. "War exposure, daily stressors, and mental health in conflict and post-conflict settings: Bridging the divide between trauma-focused and psychosocial frameworks," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 7-16, January.
- Canvin, Krysia & Marttila, Anneli & Burstrom, Bo & Whitehead, Margaret, 2009. "Tales of the unexpected? Hidden resilience in poor households in Britain," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 238-245, July.
- Aggarwal, Neil Krishan, 2007. "Exploring identity, culture, and suffering with a Kashmiri Sikh refugee," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 65(8), pages 1654-1665, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ungar, Michael, 2011. "Community resilience for youth and families: Facilitative physical and social capital in contexts of adversity," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1742-1748, September.
- repec:eee:socmed:v:194:y:2017:i:c:p:34-41 is not listed on IDEAS
- Seguin, Maureen & Lewis, Ruth & Amirejibi, Tinatin & Razmadze, Mariam & Makhashvili, Nino & Roberts, Bayard, 2016. "Our flesh is here but our soul stayed there: A qualitative study on resource loss due to war and displacement among internally-displaced women in the Republic of Georgia," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 150(C), pages 239-247.
- repec:eee:socmed:v:196:y:2018:i:c:p:233-239 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barber, Brian K. & McNeely, Clea & Olsen, Joseph A. & Belli, Robert F. & Doty, Samuel Benjamin, 2016. "Long-term exposure to political violence: The particular injury of persistent humiliation," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 156(C), pages 154-166.
- Hobfoll, Stevan E. & Mancini, Anthony D. & Hall, Brian J. & Canetti, Daphna & Bonanno, George A., 2011. "The limits of resilience: Distress following chronic political violence among Palestinians," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 72(8), pages 1400-1408, April.
- Barber, Brian K. & Spellings, Carolyn & McNeely, Clea & Page, Paul D. & Giacaman, Rita & Arafat, Cairo & Daher, Mahmoud & El Sarraj, Eyad & Mallouh, Mohammed Abu, 2014. "Politics drives human functioning, dignity, and quality of life," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 122(C), pages 90-102.
- Li, Haibin & Liebenberg, Linda & Ungar, Michael, 2015. "Understanding service provision and utilization for vulnerable youth: Evidence from multiple informants," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 18-25.
- Rees, Susan & Thorpe, Rosamund & Tol, Wietse & Fonseca, Mira & Silove, Derrick, 2015. "Testing a cycle of family violence model in conflict-affected, low-income countries: A qualitative study from Timor-Leste," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 130(C), pages 284-291.
- Trani, Jean-Francois & Ballard, Ellis & Peña, Juan B., 2016. "Stigma of persons with disabilities in Afghanistan: Examining the pathways from stereotyping to mental distress," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 153(C), pages 258-265.
- Teerawichitchainan, Bussarawan & Korinek, Kim, 2012. "The long-term impact of war on health and wellbeing in Northern Vietnam: Some glimpses from a recent survey," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 74(12), pages 1995-2004.
- Mendelsohn, Joshua B. & Rhodes, Tim & Spiegel, Paul & Schilperoord, Marian & Burton, John Wagacha & Balasundaram, Susheela & Wong, Chunting & Ross, David A., 2014. "Bounded agency in humanitarian settings: A qualitative study of adherence to antiretroviral therapy among refugees situated in Kenya and Malaysia," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 387-395.
- Schrank, Beate & Bird, Victoria & Rudnick, Abraham & Slade, Mike, 2012. "Determinants, self-management strategies and interventions for hope in people with mental disorders: Systematic search and narrative review," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 74(4), pages 554-564.
- Keys, Hunter M. & Kaiser, Bonnie N. & Kohrt, Brandon A. & Khoury, Nayla M. & Brewster, Aimée-Rika T., 2012. "Idioms of distress, ethnopsychology, and the clinical encounter in Haiti's Central Plateau," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 555-564.
- repec:eee:socmed:v:188:y:2017:i:c:p:100-108 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tay, Alvin Kuowei & Rees, Susan & Chan, Jack & Kareth, Moses & Silove, Derrick, 2015. "Examining the broader psychosocial effects of mass conflict on PTSD symptoms and functional impairment amongst West Papuan refugees resettled in Papua New Guinea (PNG)," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 132(C), pages 70-78.
- Achyuta Adhvaryu & James Fenske, 2014. "Conflict and the Formation of Political Beliefs in Africa," HiCN Working Papers 164, Households in Conflict Network.
More about this item
KeywordsAfghanistan Mental health Resilience Social justice Psychosocial wellbeing Conflict Suffering Violence;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:71:y:2010:i:1:p:71-83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.