The social dynamics of consent and refusal in HIV surveillance in rural South Africa
In the context of low rates of participation in a prospective, population-based HIV surveillance programme, researchers at a surveillance site in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, conducted an operational study from January 2009 to February 2010, with the aim of improving participation rates, particularly in the provision of dried blood spots for the surveillance. Findings suggest, firstly, that consent to participation in the HIV surveillance is informed by the dynamics of relationality in the HIV surveillance “consent encounter.”
Volume (Year): 77 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Molyneux, Sassy & Geissler, P. Wenzel, 2008. "Ethics and the ethnography of medical research in Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(5), pages 685-695, September.
- Fairhead, James & Leach, Melissa & Small, Mary, 2006. "Where techno-science meets poverty: Medical research and the economy of blood in The Gambia, West Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 1109-1120, August.
- Anne Case & Cally Ardington, 2006. "The impact of parental death on school outcomes: Longitudinal evidence from South Africa," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 43(3), pages 401-420, August.
- Christopher Colvin & Steven Robins & Joan Leavens, 2010. "Grounding 'Responsibilisation Talk': Masculinities, Citizenship and HIV in Cape Town, South Africa," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(7), pages 1179-1195.
- Gikonyo, Caroline & Bejon, Philip & Marsh, Vicki & Molyneux, Sassy, 2008. "Taking social relationships seriously: Lessons learned from the informed consent practices of a vaccine trial on the Kenyan Coast," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(5), pages 708-720, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:77:y:2013:i:c:p:118-125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.