Journal of Banking & Finance
2000, Volume 24, Issue 9
- 1457-1490 Diversification and the value of internal capital markets: The case of tracking stock
by Billett, Matthew T. & Mauer, David C.
- 1491-1514 Changes in systematic risk following global equity issuance
by Ramchand, Latha & Sethapakdi, Pricha
- 1515-1533 The impact of deregulation on price and non-price competition in the Portuguese deposits market
by Pinho, Paulo Soares de
- 1535-1555 Expectations and learning in Iowa
by Bondarenko, Oleg & Bossaerts, Peter
2000, Volume 24, Issue 8
- 1243-1251 A critique on the theory of financial intermediation
by Scholtens, Bert & van Wensveen, Dick
- 1253-1274 Do constraints improve portfolio performance?
by Grauer, Robert R. & Shen, Frederick C.
- 1275-1287 Trading volume and autocorrelation: Empirical evidence from the Stockholm Stock Exchange
by Safvenblad, Patrik
- 1289-1306 SETS, arbitrage activity, and stock price dynamics
by Taylor, Nick & Dijk, Dick van & Franses, Philip Hans & Lucas, Andre
- 1307-1321 Information-signaling and competitive effects of foreign acquisitions in the US
by Akhigbe, Aigbe & Martin, Anna D.
- 1323-1357 An exploratory analysis of the order book, and order flow and execution on the Saudi stock market
by Al-Suhaibani, Mohammad & Kryzanowski, Lawrence
- 1359-1382 Price transmission dynamics between ADRs and their underlying foreign securities
by Kim, Minho & Szakmary, Andrew C. & Mathur, Ike
- 1383-1398 Corporate control, bank risk taking, and the health of the banking industry
by Anderson, Ronald C. & Fraser, Donald R.
2000, Volume 24, Issue 7
- 1097-1130 From value at risk to stress testing: The extreme value approach
by Longin, Francois M.
- 1131-1154 Value at risk models for Dutch bond portfolios
by Vlaar, Peter J. G.
- 1155-1178 Compensation vouchers and equity markets: Evidence from Hungary
by Chun, Rodney M.
- 1203-1235 Why are bank profits so persistent? The roles of product market competition, informational opacity, and regional/macroeconomic shocks
by Berger, Allen N. & Bonime, Seth D. & Covitz, Daniel M. & Hancock, Diana
2000, Volume 24, Issue 6
- 831-859 Mergers and shareholder wealth in European banking
by Cybo-Ottone, Alberto & Murgia, Maurizio
- 861-891 Default risk and optimal debt management
by Drudi, Francesco & Giordano, Raffaela
- 893-919 "The first shall be last". Size and value strategy premia at the London Stock Exchange
by Bagella, Michele & Becchetti, Leonardo & Carpentieri, Andrea
- 921-943 Fiscal policy, debt management and exchange rate credibility: Lessons from the recent Italian experience
by Amato, Amedeo & Tronzano, Marco
- 945-965 Is there an optimal size for the financial sector?
by Santomero, Anthony M. & Seater, John J.
- 967-983 Bank competition and ECB's monetary policy
by Bagliano, Fabio C. & Dalmazzo, Alberto & Marini, Giancarlo
- 985-1004 How the environment determines banking efficiency: A comparison between French and Spanish industries
by Dietsch, Michel & Lozano-Vivas, Ana
- 1005-1043 Regionalisation versus globalisation in European financial market integration: Evidence from co-integration analyses
by Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald
- 1045-1066 Competition, contestability and market structure in European banking sectors on the eve of EMU
by De Bandt, Olivier & Davis, E. Philip
- 1067-1095 Bank-firm relationships and allocative efficiency in Northeastern and Central Italy and in the South
by Ferri, Giovanni & Messori, Marcello
2000, Volume 24, Issue 5
- 665-694 Does the Fed beat the foreign-exchange market?
by Sweeney, R. J.
- 695-707 A note on nonstationarity, structural breaks, and the Fisher effect
by Malliaropulos, Dimitrios
- 709-734 Determinants of bank growth choice
by Cyree, Ken B. & Wansley, James W. & Boehm, Thomas P.
- 735-757 Cross- and delta-hedges: Regression- versus price-based hedge ratios
by Sercu, Piet & Wu, Xueping
- 759-785 Market risk and the concept of fundamental volatility: Measuring volatility across asset and derivative markets and testing for the impact of derivatives markets on financial markets
by Hwang, Soosung & Satchell, Stephen E.
- 787-807 Efficiency tests in the French derivatives market
by Lee, Chun I. & Gleason, Kimberly C. & Mathur, Ike
- 809-824 Strategic competition in retail banking under expense preference behavior
by Purroy, Pedro & Salas, Vicente
- 825-827 Corporate Governance and Financial Performance: A Study of German and UK Initial Public Offerings; Marc Goergen; Edward Elgar; Cheltenham; 1998; 183 pages ($80)
by Morgan, Angela
- 828-829 Real Options: Managing Strategic Investment in an Uncertain World; Martha Amram, Nalin Kulatilaka; Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA; 1999; 246 pages ($35.00)
by Arnold, Tom
2000, Volume 24, Issue 4
- 507-524 Financial system development in transition economies
by Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert
- 525-553 Financial regulation and financial system architecture in Central Europe
by Scholtens, Bert
- 555-576 Regulation of the Warsaw Stock Exchange: The portfolio allocation problem
by Charemza, Wojciech W. & Majerowska, Ewa
- 577-601 Regulatory lessons for emerging stock markets from a century of evidence on transactions costs and share price volatility in the London Stock Exchange
by Green, Christopher J. & Maggioni, Paolo & Murinde, Victor
- 603-624 Winners and losers from the introduction of continuous variable price trading: Evidence from the Riga Stock Exchange
by Kairys, Joseph Jr. & Kruza, Raimonds & Kumpins, Ritvars
- 625-642 Avoiding bank runs in transition economies: The role of risk neutral capital
by Gangopadhyay, Shubhashis & Singh, Gurbachan
- 643-664 Does central bank independence really matter?: New evidence for developing countries using a new indicator
by Haan, Jakob de & Kooi, Willem J.
2000, Volume 24, Issue 3
- 353-379 Interest-rate derivatives and bank lending
by Brewer III, Elijah & Minton, Bernadette A. & Moser, James T.
- 395-425 Insider trading and the voluntary disclosure of information by firms
by Narayanan, Ranga
- 427-470 Operating leases and the assessment of lease-debt substitutability
by Beattie, Vivien & Goodacre, Alan & Thomson, Sarah
2000, Volume 24, Issue 1-2
- 1-14 Regulatory implications of credit risk modelling
by Jackson, Patricia & Perraudin, William
- 15-33 Policy implications of the Federal Reserve study of credit risk models at major US banking institutions
by Mingo, John J.
- 35-58 Emerging problems with the Basel Capital Accord: Regulatory capital arbitrage and related issues
by Jones, David
- 59-117 A comparative analysis of current credit risk models
by Crouhy, Michel & Galai, Dan & Mark, Robert
- 119-149 A comparative anatomy of credit risk models
by Gordy, Michael B.
- 151-165 Evaluating credit risk models
by Lopez, Jose A. & Saidenberg, Marc R.
- 167-201 Credit risk rating systems at large US banks
by Treacy, William F. & Carey, Mark
- 203-227 Stability of rating transitions
by Nickell, Pamela & Perraudin, William & Varotto, Simone
- 229-253 Default rates in the syndicated bank loan market: A mortality analysis
by Altman, Edward I. & Suggitt, Heather J.
- 255-269 A comparative study of structural models of corporate bond yields: An exploratory investigation
by Anderson, Ronald & Sundaresan, Suresh
- 271-299 The intersection of market and credit risk
by Jarrow, Robert A. & Turnbull, Stuart M.
- 301-327 Default risk in a market model
by Lotz, Christopher & Schlogl, Lutz
- 329-352 Determination of the adequate capital for default protection under the one-factor Gaussian term structure model
by Nakazato, Daisuke
1999, Volume 23, Issue 12
- 1725-1743 The reaction of bank stock prices to news of derivatives losses by corporate clients
by Sinkey, Joseph Jr. & Carter, David A.
- 1745-1769 Three centuries of asset pricing
by Dimson, Elroy & Mussavian, Massoud
- 1771-1792 Does the stock market predict real activity? Time series evidence from the G-7 countries
by Jay Choi, Jongmoo & Hauser, Shmuel & Kopecky, Kenneth J.
- 1793-1829 Galton's Error and the under-representation of systematic risk
by Los, Cornelis A.
- 1831-1860 Round-the-clock market efficiency and home bias: Evidence from the international Japanese government bonds futures markets
by Tse, Yiuman
- 1861-1886 An analysis of depth behavior in an electronic, order-driven environment
by Brockman, Paul & Chung, Dennis Y.
- 1887-1905 Tests of technical trading strategies in the emerging equity markets of Latin America and Asia
by Ratner, Mitchell & Leal, Ricardo P. C.
1999, Volume 23, Issue 11
- 1557-1577 Personal taxes and the time variation of stock returns - evidence from the UK
by Brealey, Richard A. & Kwan, Sabrina
- 1579-1603 The effect of bank monitoring on the investment behavior of Spanish firms
by Garcia-Marco, Teresa & Ocana, Carlos
- 1605-1635 Methodological issues in asset pricing: Random walk or chaotic dynamics
by Malliaris, A. G. & Stein, Jerome L.
- 1655-1666 On the optimal selection of portfolios under limited diversification
by Sankaran, Jayaram K. & Patil, Ajay A.
- 1667-1690 Establishing banking market definitions through estimation of residual deposit supply equations
by Amel, Dean F. & Hannan, Timothy H.
- 1691-1706 Capital standard, forbearance and deposit insurance pricing under GARCH
by Duan, Jin-Chuan & Yu, Min-Teh
- 1707-1723 Market response to banks granting lines of credit
by Mosebach, Michael
1999, Volume 23, Issue 10
- 1457-1461 Lessons from the Tequila Crisis for successful financial liberalization
by W. Calomiris, Charles
- 1463-1482 A primer on monetary and fiscal policy
by Sargent, Thomas J.
- 1483-1498 Choosing an exchange-rate system
by Stockman, Alan C.
- 1499-1519 Building an incentive-compatible safety net
by Calomiris, Charles W.
- 1521-1533 Lessons from the Tequila Crisis
by Mishkin, Frederic S.
- 1535-1541 Policymakers roundtable
by Cavallo, Domingo
- 1542-1544 Policymakers roundtable
by Pou, Pedro
- 1545-1548 Policymakers roundtable
by Kiguel, Miguel
- 1549-1552 Policymakers roundtable: The Uruguayan experience
by Capote, Humberto
- 1553-1555 Policymakers roundtable
by McTeer, Robert Jr.
1999, Volume 23, Issue 9
- 1303-1329 Credit union policies and performance in Latin America
by Westley, Glenn D. & Shaffer, Sherrill
- 1331-1355 The total cost of trading Belgian shares: Brussels versus London
by Degryse, Hans
- 1357-1381 Monetary environments and international stock returns
by Conover, C. Mitchell & Jensen, Gerald R. & Johnson, Robert R.
- 1383-1406 The discount window and credit availability
by Shaffer, Sherrill
- 1407-1435 Maturity structure of public debt and expected bond returns
by Park, Chul Woo
- 1437-1456 Property-casualty insurance guaranty funds and insurer vulnerability to misfortune
by Lee, Soon-Jae & Smith, Michael L.
1999, Volume 23, Issue 8
- 1151-1179 Why do we smile? On the determinants of the implied volatility function
by Pena, Ignacio & Rubio, Gonzalo & Serna, Gregorio
- 1181-1194 Capital raising in the offshore market
by Aggarwal, Reena & Gray, Ian & Singer, Hal
- 1195-1217 The performance of global bond mutual funds
by Detzler, Miranda Lam
- 1219-1242 Toehold strategies, takeover laws and rival bidders
by Ravid, S. Abraham & Spiegel, Matthew
- 1243-1259 On the market risk involved in the public financial system in Japan: A theoretical and numerical investigation
by Miyazaki, Kenji & Saito, Makoto
- 1261-1276 On the compensation implications of commercial bank entry into investment banking
by Fields, L. Paige & Fraser, Donald R.
- 1277-1301 Growth fixation and the performance of bank initial public offerings, 1983-1991
by Houge, Todd & Loughran, Tim
1999, Volume 23, Issue 7
- 991-1013 The evidence on efficiency gains: The role of mergers and the benefits to the public
by Avkiran, Necmi Kemal
- 1015-1029 Fixed costs and the behavior of the federal funds rate
by Clouse, James A. & Dow Jr., James P.
- 1031-1041 Financial development and reserve requirements
by Di Giorgio, Giorgio
- 1043-1065 Wealth effects of convertible bond and convertible preference share issues: An empirical analysis of the UK market
by Abhyankar, Abhay & Dunning, Alison
- 1067-1093 Bank interest rates and credit relationships in Italy
by D'Auria, Claudio & Foglia, Antonella & Reedtz, Paolo Marullo
- 1095-1120 Bank capital and equity investment regulations
by Santos, Joao A. C.
- 1121-1144 Do markets overreact: International evidence
by Baytas, Ahmet & Cakici, Nusret
1999, Volume 23, Issue 6
- 847-862 Skewness in financial returns
by Peiro, Amado
- 863-895 A theory of banking structure
by Das, Sanjiv R. & Nanda, Ashish
- 897-924 Discount rate changes, stock market returns, volatility, and trading volume: Evidence from intraday data and implications for market efficiency
by Chen, Carl R. & Mohan, Nancy J. & Steiner, Thomas L.
- 925-938 The comparative performance of mutual building societies and stock retail banks
by Valnek, Tomas
- 939-953 Unexpected inflation and bank stock returns: The case of France 1977-1991
by Lajeri, Fatma & Dermine, Jean
- 955-990 When and why did FSLIC resolve insolvent thrifts?
by Guo, Lin
1999, Volume 23, Issue 5
- 701-725 Trading patterns of big versus small players in an emerging market: An empirical analysis
by Lee, Yi-Tsung & Lin, Ji-Chai & Liu, Yu-Jane
- 755-771 Do capital adequacy requirements reduce risks in banking?
by Blum, Jurg
- 773-800 A note on market-neutral portfolio selection
by C.Y. Kwan, Clarence
- 801-824 Trading volumes and transaction costs in the foreign exchange market: Evidence from daily dollar-yen spot data
by Hartmann, Philipp
- 825-846 The productivity effects of bank mergers: Evidence from the UK building societies
by Haynes, Michelle & Thompson, Steve
1999, Volume 23, Issue 2-4
- 135-194 The consolidation of the financial services industry: Causes, consequences, and implications for the future
by Berger, Allen N. & Demsetz, Rebecca S. & Strahan, Philip E.
- 195-214 Megamergers and expanded scope: Theories of bank size and activity diversity
by Milbourn, Todd T. & Boot, Arnoud W. A. & Thakor, Anjan V.
- 215-220 Discussion
- 221-249 The role of managerial incentives in bank acquisitions
by Hadlock, Charles & Houston, Joel & Ryngaert, Michael
- 250-254 Discussion
- 255-285 Interest-rate exposure and bank mergers
by Esty, Benjamin & Narasimhan, Bhanu & Tufano, Peter
- 286-290 Discussion
- 291-324 The dollars and sense of bank consolidation
by Hughes, Joseph P. & Lang, William W. & Mester, Loretta J. & Moon, Choon-Geol
- 325-357 Consolidation and efficiency in the US life insurance industry
by Cummins, J. David & Tennyson, Sharon & Weiss, Mary A.
- 358-366 Discussion
- 367-386 The impact of mergers on credit union service provision
by Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Yaisawarng, Suthathip
- 387-390 Discussion
- 391-421 Cost reductions in electronic payments: The roles of consolidation, economies of scale, and technical change
by Hancock, Diana & Humphrey, David B. & Wilcox, James A.
- 422-426 Discussion
- 427-458 How important are small banks to small business lending?: New evidence from a survey of small firms
by Jayaratne, Jith & Wolken, John
- 459-462 Comment on Jayaratne and Wolken
by Petersen, Mitchell A.
- 463-492 Youth, adolescence, and maturity of banks: Credit availability to small business in an era of banking consolidation
by DeYoung, Robert & Goldberg, Lawrence G. & White, Lawrence J.
- 493-496 Discussion
- 497-532 Consolidation and bank branching patterns
by Avery, Robert B. & Bostic, Raphael W. & Calem, Paul S. & Canner, Glenn B.
- 533-536 Discussion
- 537-571 The impact of consolidation and safety-net support on Canadian, US and UK banks: 1893-1992
by Saunders, Anthony & Wilson, Berry
- 572-577 Discussion
- 579-604 The poor performance of foreign bank subsidiaries: Were the problems acquired or created?
by Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric S. & Kasirye, Faith
- 605-607 Discussion
- 609-613 European lessons on consolidation in banking
by Boot, Arnoud W. A.
- 615-621 Gauging the efficiency of bank consolidation during a merger wave
by Calomiris, Charles W.
- 623-627 What should regulators do about merger policy?
by Kashyap, Anil K
- 629-636 Bank mergers: What should policymakers do?
by Kwast, Myron L.
- 637-643 Bank mergers: What's a policymaker to do?
by Santomero, Anthony M.
- 645-653 What should regulators do about consolidation and electronic money?
by Solomon, Elinor Harris
- 655-662 Expansion of commercial banking powers ... or, universal banking is the cart, not the horse
by Boyd, John H.
- 663-673 Implications of superhero metaphors for the issue of banking powers
by Kane, Edward J.
- 675-691 Financial consolidation: Dangers and opportunities
by S. Mishkin, Frederic
- 693-695 Consolidation and universal banking
by Saunders, Anthony
- 697-700 Information technology and financial services consolidation
by Thakor, Anjan V.
1999, Volume 23, Issue 1
- 1-20 The pricing of currency risk in Japan
by Doukas, John & Hall, Patricia H. & Lang, Larry H. P.
- 21-47 Sources of gains to shareholders from bankruptcy resolution
by Indro, Daniel C. & Leach, Robert T. & Lee, Wayne Y.
- 49-84 On investment banker monitoring in the new issues market
by Jain, Bharat A. & Kini, Omesh
- 85-103 A linear model for tracking error minimization
by Rudolf, Markus & Wolter, Hans-Jurgen & Zimmermann, Heinz
- 105-134 Deposit insurance and risk-taking behavior in the credit union industry
by Karels, Gordon V. & McClatchey, Christine A.
1998, Volume 22, Issue 12
- 1507-1532 Determinants of interest rate swap spreads
by Lang, Larry H. P. & Litzenberger, Robert H. & Luchuan Liu, Andy
- 1533-1558 The capital gain lock-in effect with short sales constraints
by Klein, Peter
- 1559-1569 Tick size, the compass rose and market nanostructure
by Szpiro, George G.
- 1571-1595 When can you immunize a bond portfolio?
by Balbas, Alejandro & Ibanez, Alfredo
- 1597-1615 Investigating efficiency in betting markets: Evidence from the Greek 6/49 Lotto
by Papachristou, George & Karamanis, Dimitri
1998, Volume 22, Issue 10-11
- 1231-1247 The importance and subtlety of credit rating migration
by Altman, Edward I.
- 1249-1282 Credit spreads in the market for highly leveraged transaction loans
by Angbazo, Lazarus A. & Mei, Jianping & Saunders, Anthony
- 1283-1316 Is relationship lending special? Evidence from credit-file data in Germany
by Elsas, Ralf & Krahnen, Jan Pieter
- 1317-1353 Lending relationships in Germany - Empirical evidence from survey data
by Harhoff, Dietmar & Korting, Timm
- 1355-1383 Bank behavior based on internal credit ratings of borrowers
by Machauer, Achim & Weber, Martin
- 1385-1403 Bank control, takeovers and corporate governance in Germany
by Franks, Julian & Mayer, Colin
- 1405-1419 Detecting the risk of company failure at the Banque de France
by Bardos, Mireille
- 1421-1439 Genetic algorithms applications in the analysis of insolvency risk
by Varetto, Franco
- 1441-1456 Multiple banking relationships and the fragility of corporate borrowers
by Foglia, A. & Laviola, S. & Marullo Reedtz, P.
- 1457-1480 A discrete Markov chain model for valuing loan portfolios. The case of Mexican loan sales
by del Angel, Gabriela F. & Diez-Canedo, Javier Marquez & Gorbea, Estela Patino
1998, Volume 22, Issue 9
- 1117-1137 Corporate groups, dual-class shares and the value of voting rights
by Nicodano, Giovanna
- 1139-1156 State-contingent regulatory mechanisms and fairly priced deposit insurance
by Nagarajan, S. & Sealey, C. W.
- 1157-1180 Capital markets, financial intermediaries, and liquidity supply
by Fulghieri, Paolo & Rovelli, Riccardo
- 1181-1191 A note on the impact of options on stock return volatility1
by Bollen, Nicolas P. B.
- 1207-1229 Reports of beta's death are premature: Evidence from the UK
by Clare, A. D. & Priestley, R. & Thomas, S. H.
1998, Volume 22, Issue 6-8
- 613-673 The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle
by N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory
- 675-699 Venture capital contracting under asymmetric information
by Trester, Jeffrey J.
- 700-701 Comment on Trester
by Thakor, Anjan V.
- 703-735 Venture capital financing, moral hazard, and learning
by Bergemann, Dirk & Hege, Ulrich
- 736-740 Comment on Bergemann and Hege
by Lerner, Joshua
- 741-767 Who benefits from secondary market price stabilization of IOPs?
by Benveniste, Lawrence M. & M. Erdal, Sina & Wilhelm Jr., William J.
- 768-772 Comment on Benveniste, Erdal and Wilhelm, Jr
by Flannery, Mark J.
- 773-783 "Angel" financing and public policy: An overview
by Lerner, Joshua
- 785-792 Angel investors and the market for angel investments
by Prowse, Stephen
- 793-797 The angel capital electronic network (ACE-Net)1
by Acs, Zoltan J. & Tarpley Jr., Fred A.
- 799-819 Bank consolidation and small business lending: It's not just bank size that matters
by Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric S.
- 821-845 Small business lending and the changing structure of the banking industry1
by Strahan, Philip E. & Weston, James P.
- 846-849 Comment on Peek and Rosengrew and Strahan and Westow
by Rosen, Richard J.
- 851-867 De novo banks and lending to small businesses: An empirical analysis
by Goldberg, Lawrence G. & White, Lawrence J.
- 868-872 Comment on Goldberg and White
by DeYoung, Robert
- 873-897 On the profitability and cost of relationship lending
by Berlin, Mitchell & Mester, Loretta J.
- 899-918 Do bank internal capital markets promote lending?
by Houston, Joel F. & James, Christopher
- 919-923 Comment on Berlin and Mester, and Houston and James
by Pagano, Marco
- 925-954 Availability and cost of credit for small businesses: Customer relationships and credit cooperatives
by Angelini, P. & Di Salvo, R. & Ferri, G.
- 955-957 Comment on Angelini, Di Salvo and Ferri
by Kashyap, Anil K
- 959-977 The importance of relationships to the availability of credit
by Cole, Rebel A.
- 978-981 Comment on Cole
by Duca, John V.
- 983-1014 The "credit crunch" and the availability of credit to small business
by Hancock, Diana & Wilcox, James A.
- 1019-1061 The role of personal wealth in small business finance
by Avery, Robert B. & Bostic, Raphael W. & Samolyk, Katherine A.
- 1062-1066 Comment on Avery, Bostic and Samolyk
by Mann, Ronald J.
- 1067-1076 "New" data sources for research on small business finance
by Wolken, John D.
- 1077-1084 New resources and new ideas: Private equity for small businesses1
by Fenn, George W. & Liang, Nellie