Are there arbitrage gaps in the UK gilt strips market?
Evidence in financial markets of an opportunity for pure arbitrage, and therefore a violation of the law of one price, is considered an anomaly to be noted. This paper reports an apparent violation of the law of one price between UK government gilts and their separately traded principal and coupon strips over a sample period of nearly 14years. There are persistent price differences, and hence opportunities for arbitrage, after allowance for the bid-ask spread; the strips package tends to be overpriced in relation to the corresponding gilt. The price differences may, in part, be due to a lack of liquidity and stale prices in the strips market.
Volume (Year): 36 (2012)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dong-Hyun Ahn & Jacob Boudoukh & Matthew Richardson & Robert F. Whitelaw, 2002. "Partial Adjustment or Stale Prices? Implications from Stock Index and Futures Return Autocorrelations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(2), pages 655-689, March.
- K. J. Arrow, 1964. "The Role of Securities in the Optimal Allocation of Risk-bearing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(2), pages 91-96.
- Gordon Gemmill & Dylan C. Thomas, 2002. "Noise Trading, Costly Arbitrage, and Asset Prices: Evidence from Closed-end Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2571-2594, December.
- Owen A. Lamont & Richard H. Thaler, 2003.
"Can the Market Add and Subtract? Mispricing in Tech Stock Carve-outs,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(2), pages 227-268, April.
- Owen A. Lamont & Richard H. Thaler, . "Can the Market Add and Subtract? Mispricing in Tech Stock Carve-outs," CRSP working papers 528, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Owen A. Lamont & Richard H. Thaler, 2001. "Can the Market Add and Subtract? Mispricing in Tech Stock Carve-Outs," NBER Working Papers 8302, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Shiller, 2002.
"From Efficient Market Theory to Behavioral Finance,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1385, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Robert J. Shiller, 2003. "From Efficient Markets Theory to Behavioral Finance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 83-104, Winter.
- Schultz, Paul & Shive, Sophie, 2010. "Mispricing of dual-class shares: Profit opportunities, arbitrage, and trading," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 524-549, December.
- Farooq Ahmad & David Lal, 2006. "A review of financial and regulatory reforms in the gilt-edged market," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 14(2), pages 165-173, May.
- Seth Armitage, 2004. "Returns after personal tax on UK equity and gilts, 1919-1998," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 23-43.
- Roll, Richard, 1984. " A Simple Implicit Measure of the Effective Bid-Ask Spread in an Efficient Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1127-39, September.
- Abe De Jong & Leonard Rosenthal & Mathijs A. Van Dijk, 2009. "The Risk and Return of Arbitrage in Dual-Listed Companies," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 13(3), pages 495-520.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Mark Grinblatt & Francis A. Longstaff, 2000. "Financial Innovation and the Role of Derivative Securities: An Empirical Analysis of the Treasury STRIPS Program," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1415-1436, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:36:y:2012:i:11:p:3080-3090. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.