Granularity adjustment for default risk factor model with cohorts
This paper examines granularity adjustments to parameter estimators in a default risk model with cohorts. The model is an extension of the Vasicek model (Vasicek, 1991) and includes a general factor and cohort specific factors. The granularity adjustments derived in the paper concern the mean and/or the variance of observed default frequencies and are easy to implement in practice. For illustration, the method is applied to the S&P corporate ratings. The Granularity Adjusted (GA) estimators are compared to the unadjusted estimators in terms of their asymptotic properties and in finite sample.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McNeil, Alexander J. & Wendin, Jonathan P., 2007. "Bayesian inference for generalized linear mixed models of portfolio credit risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 131-149, March.
- Lütkebohmert, Eva & Gordy, Michael B., 2007. "Granularity adjustment for Basel II," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2007,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Nikola Tarashev & Haibin Zhu, 2008. "Specification and Calibration Errors in Measures of Portfolio Credit Risk: The Case of the ASRF Model," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(2), pages 129-173, June.
- Patrick Gagliardini & Christian Gourieroux, 2004.
"Stochastic Migration Models with Application to Corporate Risk,"
2004-35, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Patrick Gagliardini, 2005. "Stochastic Migration Models with Application to Corporate Risk," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(2), pages 188-226.
- Dirk Tasche, 2005. "Measuring sectoral diversification in an asymptotic multi-factor framework," Papers physics/0505142, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2006.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-470, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Feng, D. & Gourieroux, C. & Jasiak, J., 2008.
"The ordered qualitative model for credit rating transitions,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 111-130, January.
- Joan Jasiak & D. Feng & C. Gourieroux, 2006. "The Ordered Qualitative Model For Credit Rating Transitions," Working Papers 2006_2, York University, Department of Economics.
- Jon Frye, 2000. "Depressing recoveries," Emerging Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Oct, pages -.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:36:y:2012:i:5:p:1464-1477. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.