Trading frequency and volatility clustering
Volatility clustering, with autocorrelations of the hyperbolic decay rate, is unquestionably one of the most important stylized facts of financial time series. This paper presents a market microstructure model that is able to generate volatility clustering with hyperbolically decaying autocorrelations via traders with multiple trading frequencies, using Bayesian information updates in an incomplete market. The model illustrates that signal extraction, which is induced by multiple trading frequencies, can increase the persistence of the volatility of returns. Furthermore, we show that the volatility of the underlying time series of returns varies greatly with the number of traders in the market.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1996.
"Modeling and pricing long memory in stock market volatility,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 151-184, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Bollerslev-Mikkelson(1996) FIEGARCH models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00173, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Machina, Mark J., 2006. "Structural attribution of observed volatility clustering," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 15-29.
- Thierry Chauveau & Alexander Subbotin, 2010. "Price Dynamics in Market with Heterogeneous Investment Horizons and Boundedly Rational Traders," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00497427, HAL.
- Harrison Hong & Jose Scheinkman & Wei Xiong, 2005.
"Asset Float and Speculative Bubbles,"
NBER Working Papers
11367, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Haan, Wouter J. den & Spear, Scott A., 1998. "Volatility clustering in real interest rates Theory and evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 431-453, May.
- Timmermann, Allan, 2001.
"Structural Breaks, Incomplete Information and Stock Prices,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt1sn269d7, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Timmermann, Allan, 2001. "Structural Breaks, Incomplete Information, and Stock Prices," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 299-314, July.
- Allan Timmermann, 1998. "Structural Breaks, Incomplete Information and Stock Prices," FMG Discussion Papers dp311, Financial Markets Group.
- Brock, William A & LeBaron, Blake D, 1996.
"A Dynamic Structural Model for Stock Return Volatility and Trading Volume,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 94-110, February.
- William A. Brock & Blake D. LeBaron, 1995. "A Dynamic Structural Model for Stock Return Volatility and Trading Volume," NBER Working Papers 4988, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cars H. Hommes, 2005.
"Heterogeneous Agent Models in Economics and Finance,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
05-056/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hommes, Cars H., 2006. "Heterogeneous Agent Models in Economics and Finance," Handbook of Computational Economics, in: Leigh Tesfatsion & Kenneth L. Judd (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1109-1186 Elsevier.
- Cabrales, Antonio & Hoshi, Takeo, 1996.
"Heterogeneous beliefs, wealth accumulation, and asset price dynamics,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 20(6-7), pages 1073-1100.
- Antonio Cabrales & Takeo Hoshi, 1993. "Heterogeneous beliefs, wealth accumulation and asset price dynamics," Economics Working Papers 55, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 1993.
- Liu, Ming, 2000. "Modeling long memory in stock market volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 139-171, November.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Gemmill, Gordon, 1996. " Transparency and Liquidity: A Study of Block Trades on the London Stock Exchange under Different Publication Rules," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1765-90, December.
- Jensen, Gerald R. & Moorman, Theodore, 2010. "Inter-temporal variation in the illiquidity premium," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 338-358, November.
- Robert F. Engle, 1996.
"The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
5816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Fontnouvelle, Patrick, 2000. "Information Dynamics In Financial Markets," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(02), pages 139-169, June.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1999. "Long-term equity anticipation securities and stock market volatility dynamics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 75-99, September.
- Brock, William A. & Hommes, Cars H. & Wagener, Florian O. O., 2005.
"Evolutionary dynamics in markets with many trader types,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 7-42, February.
- Brock, W.A. & Hommes, C.H. & Wagener, F.O.O., 2002. "Evolutionary dynamics in markets with many trader types," CeNDEF Working Papers 02-10, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Alexander Subbotin & Thierry Chauveau, 2010. "Price Dynamics in a Market with Heterogeneous Investment Horizons and Boundedly Rational Traders," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 10048, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Chung, Kee H. & Li, Mingsheng & McInish, Thomas H., 2005. "Information-based trading, price impact of trades, and trade autocorrelation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1645-1669, July.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00497427 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:36:y:2012:i:3:p:760-773. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.