High frequency trading and end-of-day price dislocation
We show that the presence of high frequency trading (HFT) has significantly mitigated the frequency and severity of end-of-day price dislocation, counter to recent concerns expressed in the media. The effect of HFT is more pronounced on days when end of day price dislocation is more likely to be the result of market manipulation on days of option expiry dates and end of month. Moreover, the effect of HFT is more pronounced than the role of trading rules, surveillance, enforcement and legal conditions in curtailing the frequency and severity of end-ofday price dislocation. We show our findings are robust to different proxies of the start of HFT by trade size, cancellation of orders, and co-location.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)69 798-30050
Fax: +49 (0)69 798-30077
Web page: http://www.ifk-cfs.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brogaard, Jonathan & Hendershott, Terrence & Riordan, Ryan, 2013. "High frequency trading and price discovery," Working Paper Series 1602, European Central Bank.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Law and Finance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jackson, Howell E. & Roe, Mark J., 2009. "Public and private enforcement of securities laws: Resource-based evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 207-238, August.
- Merrick, John Jr & Naik, Narayan Y. & Yadav, Pradeep K., 2005. "Strategic trading behavior and price distortion in a manipulated market: anatomy of a squeeze," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 171-218, July.
- Holger Spamann, 2010. "The "Antidirector Rights Index" Revisited," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(2), pages 467-486, February.
- Edelen, Roger M. & Kadlec, Gregory B., 2012. "Delegated trading and the speed of adjustment in security prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 294-307.
- William A. Branch & George W. Evans, 2011.
"Learning about Risk and Return: A Simple Model of Bubbles and Crashes,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 159-91, July.
- Branch, William A. & Evans, George W., 2010. "Learning about Risk and Return: A Simple Model of Bubbles and Crashes," SIRE Discussion Papers 2010-33, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Wiliam Branch & George W. Evans, . "Learning about Risk and Return: A Simple Model of Bubbles and Crashes," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2008-1, University of Oregon Economics Department.
- William A. Branch & George W. Evans, . "Learning about Risk and Return: A Simple Model of Bubbles and Crashes," CDMA Working Paper Series 201010, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis, revised 15 Apr 2010.
- Comerton-Forde, Carole & Putnins, Talis J., 2011. "Measuring closing price manipulation," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 135-158, April.
- Pirrong, Craig, 1999. "The organization of financial exchange markets: Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 329-357, November.
- Jeffrey MacIntosh, 2013. "High Frequency Traders: Angels or Devils?," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 391, October.
- Terrence Hendershott & Charles M. Jones & Albert J. Menkveld, 2011.
"Does Algorithmic Trading Improve Liquidity?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 66(1), pages 1-33, 02.
- Craig Pirrong, 2004. "Detecting Manipulation in Futures Markets: The Ferruzzi Soybean Episode," American Law and Economics Review, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 28-71.
- Rajesh K. Aggarwal & Guojun Wu, 2006. "Stock Market Manipulations," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(4), pages 1915-1954, July.
- Allen, Franklin & Gorton, Gary, 1992.
"Stock price manipulation, market microstructure and asymmetric information,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 624-630, April.
- Franklin Allen & Gary Gorton, 1991. "Stock Price Manipulation, Market Microstructure and Asymmetric Information," NBER Working Papers 3862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen, F. & Gorton, G., 1991. "Stock Price Manipulation, Market Microstructure and Asymetric Information," Weiss Center Working Papers 21-91, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Ajeyo Banerjee & E. Woodrow Eckard, 2001. "Why Regulate Insider Trading? Evidence from the First Great Merger Wave (1897-1903)," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1329-1349, December.
- anonymous, 2011. "Focus on Authors," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(3), pages 562-564, 05-06.
- Pierre Bajgrowicz & Olivier Scaillet, 2007.
"Technical Trading Revisited: False Discoveries, Persistence Tests, and Transaction Costs,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
08-05, Swiss Finance Institute, revised Jul 2009.
- Bajgrowicz, Pierre & Scaillet, Olivier, 2012. "Technical trading revisited: False discoveries, persistence tests, and transaction costs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 473-491.
- anonymous, 2011. "Focus on Authors," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(1), pages 187-190, 01-02.
- anonymous, 2011. "Focus on Authors," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(2), pages 385-388, 03-04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cfswop:201316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.