Modeling and forecasting exchange rate volatility in time-frequency domain
This paper proposes an enhanced approach to modeling and forecasting volatility using high frequency data. Using a forecasting model based on Realized GARCH with multiple time-frequency decomposed realized volatility measures, we study the influence of different timescales on volatility forecasts. The decomposition of volatility into several timescales approximates the behaviour of traders at corresponding investment horizons. The proposed methodology is moreover able to account for impact of jumps due to a recently proposed jump wavelet two scale realized volatility estimator. We propose a realized Jump-GARCH models estimated in two versions using maximum likelihood as well as observation-driven estimation framework of generalized autoregressive score. We compare forecasts using several popular realized volatility measures on foreign exchange rate futures data covering the recent financial crisis. Our results indicate that disentangling jump variation from the integrated variation is important for forecasting performance. An interesting insight into the volatility process is also provided by its multiscale decomposition. We find that most of the information for future volatility comes from high frequency part of the spectra representing very short investment horizons. Our newly proposed models outperform statistically the popular as well conventional models in both one-day and multi-period-ahead forecasting.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramazan Gencay & Nikola Gradojevic & Faruk Selcuk & Brandon Whitcher, 2010.
"Asymmetry of information flow between volatilities across time scales,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(8), pages 895-915.
- Ramazan Gencay & Faruk Selcuk, 2004. "Asymmetry of Information Flow Between Volatilities Across Time Scales," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 90, Econometric Society.
- Ramazan Gencay & Nikola Gradojevic & Faruk Selcuk & Brandon Whitcher, 2009. "Asymmetry of Information Flow Between Volatilities Across Time Scales," Working Paper Series 27_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2009.
- Lanne, Markku, 2007. "Forecasting realized exchange rate volatility by decomposition," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 307-320.
- Fulvio Corsi, 2009. "A Simple Approximate Long-Memory Model of Realized Volatility," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 7(2), pages 174-196, Spring.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001.
"Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
01-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," NBER Working Papers 8160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anderson, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Labys, Paul, 2002. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Working Papers 02-12, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Baruník, Jozef & Vácha, Lukáš, 2014.
"Realized wavelet-based estimation of integrated variance and jumps in the presence of noise,"
16, Collaborative EU Project FinMaP - Financial Distortions and Macroeconomic Performance: Expectations, Constraints and Interaction of Agents.
- Jozef Barunik & Lukas Vacha, 2012. "Realized wavelet-based estimation of integrated variance and jumps in the presence of noise," Papers 1202.1854, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2013.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1998. "Answering the Skeptics: Yes, Standard Volatility Models Do Provide Accurate Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 885-905, November.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Huang, Xin, 2011.
"A reduced form framework for modeling volatility of speculative prices based on realized variation measures,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 176-189, January.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Xin Huang, 2007. "A Reduced Form Framework for Modeling Volatility of Speculative Prices based on Realized Variation Measures," CREATES Research Papers 2007-14, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Zhang, Lan & Mykland, Per A. & Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 2005.
"A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility With Noisy High-Frequency Data,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1394-1411, December.
- Lan Zhang & Per A. Mykland & Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 2003. "A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility with Noisy High Frequency Data," NBER Working Papers 10111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fleming, Jeff & Paye, Bradley S., 2011. "High-frequency returns, jumps and the mixture of normals hypothesis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 119-128, January.
- Jacob A. Mincer & Victor Zarnowitz, 1969. "The Evaluation of Economic Forecasts," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Forecasts and Expectations: Analysis of Forecasting Behavior and Performance, pages 3-46 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Ebens, Heiko, 2001. "The distribution of realized stock return volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 43-76, July.
- Andersen T. G & Bollerslev T. & Diebold F. X & Labys P., 2001. "The Distribution of Realized Exchange Rate Volatility," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 42-55, March.
- Peter Reinhard Hansen & Zhuo (Albert) Huang & Howard Howan Shek, . "Realized GARCH: A Complete Model of Returns and Realized Measures of Volatility," CREATES Research Papers 2010-13, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Morten Ørregaard Nielsen & Per Houmann Frederiksen, 2005.
"Finite Sample Accuracy of Integrated Volatility Estimators,"
1225, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Nielsen, Morten Ørregaard & Frederiksen, Per, 2008. "Finite sample accuracy and choice of sampling frequency in integrated volatility estimation," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 265-286, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1204.1452. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.